MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Bobby Abreu
    This is the person I always think of.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Bobby Abreu
    This is the person I always think of.

Wasn't Josh Hamilton another one? He's the first one I thought of, but yeah, definitely Abreu.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    That was fun 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Except for none of the ump interviews showed that to be what they said and that is not on the rules.
    I agree that this can enter into their thinking but my point is that it is ridiculous that they do not clarify.  Tool no time to find many articles making that same point....it is silly.
    I played baseball until I was 18, in a variety of leagues.
    A player from MLB was quoted as to the wrist thing...
    You played, I'm guessing, and you have a solid opinion on it.

It should be clear and not have to do with what different people think.
    You never heard someone say "the bat broke the plane"?  It is just something that is what it is now I guess?  Unwritten rule that everyone follows?

I actually never knew it wasn't a written rule, lol.  I need to pick up a rule book and go through it again.

I played for years, umped too, played with minor leaguers, college kids.  Really enjoyed it.

Anyone else have a thought on a check swing considering it's not in the rule book?
    I’ve always thought if the bat goes parallel to the flat of the plate or beyond it’s a swing, with a some leeway if the batter has to bail on pitch tailing in. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Alonso is such a douche
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The HR derby should always be played at Coors Field. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2021
    Terrible coverage. Showing the ball get hit on one screen and then the ball land on another screen did nothing to show the distance the ball traveled. 

Where’s the ESPN eats a bag of gristly dicks thread?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited July 2021
    Alonso is such a douche
    Kid is getting carried off the field after misplaying a major league hit like, well, a little leaguer, and Alonso is at a disco waiting for his next pitch. 

BTW: I saw a lot of those outfield kids take one off their shins, chests, wrists, etc. Might wanna rethink that, MLB. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Agreed on all counts. It was difficult to tell which balls were homers and which were not. Very confusing. 

At least the Mets are the perfect team for Alonso. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited July 2021
    The first dude (cancer guy?) wasn't done with the first round and I was already texting with buddies about how horrible the split screen bullshit was.

The quick pitch aided to make it nearly impossible to see how far the homers were going 

They completely ignored Perez when he got a great round so they could blow Alonso for a way too long interview.  Total BS for Perez and his fans.

Loved seeing the shots that we could see and that is a great place to hit them.  I was hoping to see Ohtani win it and somehow managed to be almost two hours in when he went out, so I just hit record and went to bed 
    Should I watch the rest?

Sounds like a kid got carried off from an injury while shagging balls?  That sucks.  I did note two kids get drilled trying to make catches.  Hope they are all ok.
    Hope they go back to a bit slower pace with the pitches and let us see the homers fly out.

Always like seeing the game, look forward to tonight.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Also something I think should exit the HRD....the obligatory teammate-runs-up-and-gives-gatorade-or-other-sponsor-item-during-timeout thing.
    Played out....

It's a lot going on, but I much prefer the set up now with constant action and Chris Berman not calling every single swing.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    It's a lot going on, but I much prefer the set up now with constant action and Chris Berman not calling every single swing.
    You mean you don't like to hear "BckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckbckGAHWN!"

Me, either!!! :lol:
    Agreed.   However I wish they showed how far each hr was.  
    The first dude (cancer guy?) wasn't done with the first round and I was already texting with buddies about how horrible the split screen bullshit was.

The quick pitch aided to make it nearly impossible to see how far the homers were going 

They completely ignored Perez when he got a great round so they could blow Alonso for a way too long interview.  Total BS for Perez and his fans.

Loved seeing the shots that we could see and that is a great place to hit them.  I was hoping to see Ohtani win it and somehow managed to be almost two hours in when he went out, so I just hit record and went to bed 
    Should I watch the rest?

Sounds like a kid got carried off from an injury while shagging balls?  That sucks.  I did note two kids get drilled trying to make catches.  Hope they are all ok.
    Hope they go back to a bit slower pace with the pitches and let us see the homers fly out.

Always like seeing the game, look forward to tonight.

Yeah they basically did not even acknowledge Perez until the final 40 seconds of his bonus round. That just made me dislike Alonso even more. lol.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Pete Alonso received a work performance bonus in the last derby that doubled his annual salary and then gave it all to charity.  Sounds like a massive selfish asshole to me.

World could use more douches like that.
    Yeah...26 year old baseball player has fun in home run derby. STOP THE PRESSES
    Agree on Berman, he is ready for full retirement....but I prefer to be able to see them fly out.
    Was happy for no Berman.
    edited July 2021
    Jason P said:
    Pete Alonso received a work performance bonus in the last derby that doubled his annual salary and then gave it all to charity.  Sounds like a massive selfish asshole to me.

World could use more douches like that.
    Last I checked, one can donate to charity and still act like an enormous douche...

Edit---Looks like he donated 10% of his hr derby winnings as well.  100 grand is nowhere near double his salary. Still a great thing to do. Also, still a douche. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Why is Alonso a douche?  Just looked he was having a good time last night while hitting absolute bombs.  
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    Going out on a limb here, but I am assuming you and Pete don't go way back. If bobbing your head and having fun at the HR derby is being a douche, what would you call an adult who feels the need to generalize the character of people they do not know?
    Is not there a law that stipulates that all Phillies fans must think all Mets players are douches? I think things are as they should be and that this conversation has gone on too long.

I'm a Sox fan, and I think Aaron Judge is a douche. He could cure cancer while reversing climate change, but as long as he's wearing pinstripes -- douche.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I liked Mookie.  Literally the only one I can ever remember liking and you guys ran him out of town, so sounds about right

I came to like Manny years later.
    dankind said:
    Is not there a law that stipulates that all Phillies fans must think all Mets players are douches? I think things are as they should be and that this conversation has gone on too long.

I'm a Sox fan, and I think Aaron Judge is a douche. He could cure cancer while reversing climate change, but as long as he's wearing pinstripes -- douche.
    Fair enough, although I don't really get the Phillies/Mets rivalry. Outside of the '06-'08 run, these teams have not historically been battling each other to sit atop the NL East.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited July 2021
    FiveBelow said:
    dankind said:

Fair enough, although I don't really get the Phillies/Mets rivalry. Outside of the '06-'08 run, these teams have not historically been battling each other to sit atop the NL East.
    Because they have always sucked at rotating times of sucking.

At any rate, derby was fun, though it's wayyyy too long. I saw a great tweet that said something like, "Pete Alonso looks like what Mets fans think they look like." And that's about right.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Man you guys are friggin jaded.  Just because it's a kids game doesn't mean you should act like one, lol.

Alonso and Judge are most definitely not douches.  Good friggin guys.

Hamilton did not injure himself after the HRD.  He did lose though because the dude was exhausted from trying to hit one out of Yankee stadium.

Ohtani, had he gotten a better rhythm and not pull everything, would have done much better.  He wore himself out and only hit what, 28?  Pfffft.  Soto vs Ohtani was a gem to watch.  He struggled at first then hit a groove.  Had 2 tie breakers and should have advanced but couldn't get that last one to go...

Most props to Soto who had ice water running through his veins w that 3 swing gem of a performance.

Perez got shafted.  Cut the damn interview off and watch him bat.

Alonso was so fun to watch.  Mancini too.  Almost effortless w their swings.

I wish they would do something so you can watch the balls fly out.  There were a few that almost hit the scoreboard that were deep.

Top 5 HRD's are Judge, McGwire, Bonds, Ripken and Hamilton as being the best one I ever saw.

Alonso is growing on me as one of the better ones.  Griffey is up there too.
    FiveBelow said:
    dankind said:

Because they have always sucked at rotating times of sucking.

At any rate, derby was fun, though it's wayyyy too long. I saw a great tweet that said something like, "Pete Alonso looks like what Mets fans think they look like." And that's about right.
    Painfully true, if not for '08 I'd still be watching games with way too much emotion invested in the outcome. I started recording the derby and adding time some years back to eliminate the hour or so of watching guys catch their breath, it still took almost 2 hours with fast forwarding.
    I liked Mookie.  Literally the only one I can ever remember liking and you guys ran him out of town, so sounds about right

I came to like Manny years later.
    There have been times when the Yankees were a much more likable team; I'll say that much.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    It's amusing to me that people have a problem with a Phillies fan calling a Mets player a douche. Lol.

He totally is, though. Rationalize the stupid bobbing and dancing all you want but....yes, it definitely checks all the douche boxes. He is most assuredly a douche. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    It's amusing to me that people have a problem with a Phillies fan calling a Mets player a douche. Lol.

He totally is, though. Rationalize the stupid bobbing and dancing all you want but....yes, it definitely checks all the douche boxes. He is most assuredly a douche. 

Is there a player in baseball that dances more than McCutchen?