MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Yelich last night😂😂😂come on dude, the sell was commendable but take the L. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Not a Braves fan but man losing Acuna for the season is gonna be tough
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    DewieCox said:
    I just saw it. He barely moved. I wouldn't call that an attempt.
    I miss igotid88
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    He thought about running to 2nd.  You can see that.  He didn't turn that way though.  He did turn right which is what you are supposed to do.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    he knew he fuct up and tried to stand there in order to 'act' like he didnt really make a move toward second.  I think it was the correct call.  

It actually doesnt matter which way he turns.  Its a judgement call on the umpire on if the runner made an attempt for second.  While he capped the attempt very quickly, he did make a quick move.  Cant be denied in good faith.

MayDay10 said:
    he knew he fuct up and tried to stand there in order to 'act' like he didnt really make a move toward second.  I think it was the correct call.  

It actually doesnt matter which way he turns.  Its a judgement call on the umpire on if the runner made an attempt for second.  While he capped the attempt very quickly, he did make a quick move.  Cant be denied in good faith.

I thought the rule was always turn right.  If you turn left it's considered a move to 2nd.  Well that is what they taught us.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    MayDay10 said:

I thought the rule was always turn right.  If you turn left it's considered a move to 2nd.  Well that is what they taught us.
    I think thats generally popular thought of what the rule is, but its technically wrong.  Of course its hard to make a move toward second if you turn right, so its still generally true.  Also, if you do turn left, you really have to make it clear it is not a move to 2nd, so its just easier to go the other way.

Rule 5.09(b)
    (11) He fails to return at once to first base after overrunning or
    oversliding that base. If he attempts to run to second he is
    out when tagged. If, after overrunning or oversliding first
    base he starts toward the dugout, or toward his position,
    and fails to return to first base at once, he is out, on
    appeal, when he or the base is tagged;

So basically, if you think that that little side-step was in any way an attempt for 2nd base, the call was correct.  IMO, it seems like he made a quick move and stopped himself when he saw the outfielder right there in position.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    MayDay10 said:

Sorta like the check swing.  People always look at the replay to see if the batter breaks his wrists OR if the bat goes a certain distance.
    I believe the rule is some sort of nebulous bullshit like "did the batter intend to swing" -- judgement call by ump.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Draft last night was interesting.  Local kid was projected by many to go in 1st round but did not....my Reds had 3 picks last night.  Hoping that one of them can be a great pick.
    MayDay10 said:

Sorta like the check swing.  People always look at the replay to see if the batter breaks his wrists OR if the bat goes a certain distance.
    I believe the rule is some sort of nebulous bullshit like "did the batter intend to swing" -- judgement call by ump.
    Check swing can't break the flat plane of home plate.  That is a tougher one to call than this move to 2nd.

Interesting convo.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Not a Braves fan but man losing Acuna for the season is gonna be tough
    Yes. That one hurts. Depending on how long the rehab is, he might miss up to 2 months of next season as well.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited July 2021
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    He thought about running to 2nd.  You can see that.  He didn't turn that way though.  He did turn right which is what you are supposed to do.
    He was more in foul territory then made a quick juke and ended up in fair territory. Not saying fair or foul matters but he did make a slight move. I feel like he knew and the 1b coach definitely knew. Dude acted like he was gonna get fired on the spot.

I think some of the confusion stems from coaching/overteaching that so many received in youth baseball to make an apparent right turn.

Just thought it was funny how pissed he was. 

Lots of  judgement calls that would be hard to legislate out of them sport. “Tie goes to the runner” is another oft used imaginary rule.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    MayDay10 said:

Check swing can't break the flat plane of home plate.  That is a tougher one to call than this move to 2nd.

Interesting convo.

It is interesting, but your statement is not fact.
    There is no fact.  :lol:  That is the crazy part...in looking it up, they do not define and leave up to the judgement of the umps.

Not that this is an authority but is interesting:

Even the NYT tried to define and could not.  This is pretty funny -- until such a small thing impacts a game you are rooting for.  :lol:

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    edited July 2021
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    You can't rule on thought. Then every check swing would be called a strike. And a lot of runners just walk back 
    I miss igotid88
    MayDay10 said:

Interesting convo.

It is interesting, but your statement is not fact.
    There is no fact.  :lol:  That is the crazy part...in looking it up, they do not define and leave up to the judgement of the umps.

Not that this is an authority but is interesting:

Even the NYT tried to define and could not.  This is pretty funny -- until such a small thing impacts a game you are rooting for.  :lol:

Check swing or a swing rather is exactly how I described it.  This "wrist" thing was never the case in what substitutes for a swing.

When the announce says "did he go" they aren't talking about his wrists they are talking about the bat and if it broke the imaginary plane.  It may not be written down but if you play/study enough baseball that is the proper definition of calling it.
    Except for none of the ump interviews showed that to be what they said and that is not on the rules.
    I agree that this can enter into their thinking but my point is that it is ridiculous that they do not clarify.  Tool no time to find many articles making that same point....it is silly.
    I played baseball until I was 18, in a variety of leagues.
    A player from MLB was quoted as to the wrist thing...
    You played, I'm guessing, and you have a solid opinion on it.

It should be clear and not have to do with what different people think.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I think yelich pretty clearly should have been out. Judge had a similar play over the last week and was safe because he didn’t think about 2nd at all.
    Except for none of the ump interviews showed that to be what they said and that is not on the rules.
    I agree that this can enter into their thinking but my point is that it is ridiculous that they do not clarify.  Tool no time to find many articles making that same point....it is silly.
    I played baseball until I was 18, in a variety of leagues.
    A player from MLB was quoted as to the wrist thing...
    You played, I'm guessing, and you have a solid opinion on it.

It should be clear and not have to do with what different people think.
    You never heard someone say "the bat broke the plane"?  It is just something that is what it is now I guess?  Unwritten rule that everyone follows?

I actually never knew it wasn't a written rule, lol.  I need to pick up a rule book and go through it again.

I played for years, umped too, played with minor leaguers, college kids.  Really enjoyed it.

Anyone else have a thought on a check swing considering it's not in the rule book?
    Yeah I've totally heard and used that term and it makes sense....but they should just write down what the rule is so that people actually know and have a guideline.  

Yeah I've totally heard and used that term and it makes sense....but they should just write down what the rule is so that people actually know and have a guideline.  

Is there any other rules open for interpretation?  Is a strike zone actually called out?  I was told when I was younger incorrectly what a strike zone was.  It is not different for each player.  The size of the player does not matter.

If you kneel down a strike would be from my knee to just below my shoulders. 

I know the strike zone has changed throughout the years and wonder if that is still the way to call it or is it another way? 
    Not sure about that.  I knew the check swing rule was missing from a discussion like this I had with my brother years back.  (He is a high school baseball coach and still plays hardball at age 50 (!) In an old man league.  He is a baseball junkie.)

Can we talk about opt outs for the All-star game?

This is something that has always irked me.  I remember that Griffey Jr hated it.  Would rather be at home than attend the AS game.

This year Mookie Betts is opting out.  Every Astro is staying home, lol.

I always liked the AS game and playoffs because I got to see players I normally never get to see.  Andrew McCutcheon was one of those players.

Major props to Ohtani for understanding how big a deal it is with him being in the HR derby.  I hope the balls go 500 feet in that thin air.

Thoughts?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I could go either way on the All Star game opt outs. I mean, I know they have tried to make the game mean something now, so players have incentive, but still, it's one of the few times they can have off for more than a day during the season. A lot of players usually bring their families and kids to it. It's also a nice break if you're feeling fatigued or have any nagging ailments. Why risk hurting yourself? I think we've usually seen the most negative impact from those who participate in the homerun derby and pitchers.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    The Astros are soft...that's my takeaway
    tbergs said:
    I could go either way on the All Star game opt outs. I mean, I know they have tried to make the game mean something now, so players have incentive, but still, it's one of the few times they can have off for more than a day during the season. A lot of players usually bring their families and kids to it. It's also a nice break if you're feeling fatigued or have any nagging ailments. Why risk hurting yourself? I think we've usually seen the most negative impact from those who participate in the homerun derby and pitchers.
    The only player I can remember anyone saying that it effected them was aaron Judge.  I can't remember another player at any time that had an ailment after the derby.

Bonds, Hamilton, McGwire, Sosa, Ripken, Griffey, Bellinger?  Didn't bother them.
    Bobby Abreu
    Bobby Abreu
    You mean from all the juicing that he did...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Maybe some of the opt-outs are because why go when you may play a 2-3 of innings and maybe get a couple of ABs? (or play less?) Is it worth it?

The All Star game needs to be played by the ALL STARS.
    cutz said:
    Maybe some of the opt-outs are because why go when you may play a 2-3 of innings and maybe get a couple of ABs? (or play less?) Is it worth it?

The All Star game needs to be played by the ALL STARS.
    I said before it showcases the best baseball has to offer on a national scale.  I don't get to see Ohtani play all the time so this is a treat for me.