MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    edited June 2021
    Is Stanton again the most overrated player in all of baseball?
    Seems like a decent guy and I don't root against him...not his fault he makes absolute superstar money to be an average to above average player.
    no. He's had injuries and they're not making him play the outfield to lessen the chances of injury. But when he's right he can be a .280 40-50 hr player. His BaBiP is pretty good. I know they don't make the same money. But Ohtani is having an mvp season batting around .280 and for now has more homeruns than Stanton. Barring any injury to Stanton I can see him going on a homerun tear in July, August, and September 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Fair enough....however you mentioned "injuries" "when he's right" and " barring any injury" ------
    This is a part of the ballplayer.  However you slice it, dude is injured a lot.

I was pissed the year they gave him the MVP over Votto, who was a good fielder on top of being a good hitter, but I never root against him.  

Who is the most overrated, then?
    Tough to beat Stanton, for me.
    Maybe another guy with a monster contract who is up and down - Bryce Harper.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Fair enough....however you mentioned "injuries" "when he's right" and " barring any injury" ------

I was pissed the year they gave him the MVP over Votto, who was a good fielder on top of being a good hitter, but I never root against him.  

I was just going to say the injuries really make it close. He's played over 150 games just 3 times in his career and often misses games for a multitude of reasons. The guy is glass. Seems like a younger version of Nelson Cruz. Great hitter when healthy, but can't play the field or he'll get injured. Harper is right up there too. Lacks the raw power of Stanton, but is a little better multi-tool player. Same issue with injuries.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    tbergs said:

I was just going to say the injuries really make it close. He's played over 150 games just 3 times in his career and often misses games for a multitude of reasons. The guy is glass. Seems like a younger version of Nelson Cruz. Great hitter when healthy, but can't play the field or he'll get injured. Harper is right up there too. Lacks the raw power of Stanton, but is a little better multi-tool player. Same issue with injuries.

Yep.  If he played 150+ games a year dude is not questioned....
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Lindor gets most overrated right now.  He is not performing to the tune of his contract.

Hopefully he gets comfortable in NY and plays better.
    Lindor gets most overrated right now.  He is not performing to the tune of his contract.

Yeah, that is a good one.  He kind of gets the "sucks" label right now.  Not just underrated, he is batting .216!
    edited June 2021

Yeah, that is a good one.  He kind of gets the "sucks" label right now.  Not just underrated, he is batting .216!
    He's better than this though.  NY is in his head.  What NY'ers do is eat the acquired players to death, no embracing them.  Think Vince Coleman, Bonilla, Arod, Sonny Gray.  Big name guys that if they under perform in the slightest it's a damn Boo fest.

It's a shame that they don't embrace the players more.

Vlad Sr when he was on the Halos was beloved.  I'd love to see NY treat their players like that.

Edit: Stanton fits that moniker too.

He's better than this though.  NY is in his head.  What NY'ers do is eat the acquired players to death, no embracing them.  Think Vince Coleman, Bonilla, Arod, Sonny Gray.  Big name guys that if they under perform in the slightest it's a damn Boo fest.

Vlad Sr when he was on the Halos was beloved.  I'd love to see NY treat their players like that.

There is certainly a history of this -- but it matches well with their (both Yanks and Mets) history of overpaying for dudes.  The pressure is up even more when you overpay.  This version of the Yanks shows that....huge payroll and average play.

There is certainly a history of this -- but it matches well with their (both Yanks and Mets) history of overpaying for dudes.  The pressure is up even more when you overpay.  This version of the Yanks shows that....huge payroll and average play.
    Agreed but the fans could do a wee bit better.

I'll never forget this.  Mets game probably 1993.  Bonilla is walking out to warm up and a fan yells "Bobby ya bum!"  Game didn't even start yet, lol.

He goes to bat and hits a foul ball.  Same fan yells "That's 1million!"  

Those both got the admiration of the surrounding ear shot of a crowd and no doubt that Bonilla heard him.
    They found another predator working there?

Nah, they would not tease that announcement.

Another $1MM to Bobby Bo?

Man, he got the best deal on this.  Instead of something like a $5-6MM payout he gets $30MM.
    Damn, the Mets are horrible.

Man, he got the best deal on this.  Instead of something like a $5-6MM payout he gets $30MM.

I think they're going to pay the rest of it all at once
    I miss igotid88
    That sounds awful.  His side says they have messages from her asking for it but Jesus Christ even if that is the case this is horrid.  Glad he is not in Cincy any longer.
    igotid88 said:

I think they're going to pay the rest of it all at once
    What a day for him!
    Ohtani lost mvp votes
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Ohtani lost mvp votes
    He had a bad outing and still leads the league in HR despite playing less than the other starters.

Don't tarnish what he is doing please, it's a bad look even if he got shelled by a struggling Yankees team.

On another note, Chapman got rocked again?
    igotid88 said:
    Imagine having sexy time talk on your phone and then getting grudge sued for it?

Sounds like Bauer needed a dominatrix, jeeze man...
    igotid88 said:
    Ohtani lost mvp votes
    He had a bad outing and still leads the league in HR despite playing less than the other starters.

Don't tarnish what he is doing please, it's a bad look even if he got shelled by a struggling Yankees team.

You can put lipstick on a pig.
    If my aunt sold bridges
    I miss igotid88
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ohtani lost mvp votes

If my aunt sold bridges
    You don't think what Ohtani is doing is special?
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ohtani lost mvp votes

If my aunt sold bridges
    I'm just joking. 
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ohtani lost mvp votes

If my aunt sold bridges
    I'm just joking. 
    Oh thank God, lol...  I couldn't get the sarcasm.  Sorry.

I was telling people about Ohtani before the start of the year and to watch out for him.  He is only 26 so we have some years more of this hopefully.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ohtani lost mvp votes

If my aunt sold bridges
    I'm just joking. 
    Oh thank God, lol...  I couldn't get the sarcasm.  Sorry.

I was telling people about Ohtani before the start of the year and to watch out for him.  He is only 26 so we have some years more of this hopefully.
    Yup. He is fun to watch and one helluva ballplayer.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited July 2021
    Pablo Lopez of the Marlins if they don't tie or take the lead and lose could be the first pitcher since 1913 to throw only 1 pitch and lose the game
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    You know he was pissed about last week

I miss igotid88