Comments

• Options
    brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    it wasnt his time....

everytime i hear a song of his, it really does still set me back a little
  • Options
    Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 314
    Zod said:
    I feel pretty lucky having seen him play a few live shows in the year before his death.   Saw an acoustic show here in Victoria, and went to Seattle for a ToTD show.  Not even on my radar at ToTD that it would be the last time I'd ever get to hear him perform live.   Aside from Pearl Jam and The Dayglo Abortions I don't think there's any musicians I went too as much as Chris Cornell (and all his various bands).
    I almost passed on seeing a ToTD show because I wasn't sure if it was "worth it" to travel just for a weekend. I figured that they'd probably tour again. After a bunch of hemming and hawing, I finally came to my senses. I bought a ticket, flew to SF for a single night, and had a great time at the show. I also never imagined it would be the last time seeing Chris perform. I often think about that decision in the context of things unrelated to music.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151
    edited May 2021
    Zod said:
    I feel pretty lucky having seen him play a few live shows in the year before his death.   Saw an acoustic show here in Victoria, and went to Seattle for a ToTD show.  Not even on my radar at ToTD that it would be the last time I'd ever get to hear him perform live.   Aside from Pearl Jam and The Dayglo Abortions I don't think there's any musicians I went too as much as Chris Cornell (and all his various bands).
    I almost passed on seeing a ToTD show because I wasn't sure if it was "worth it" to travel just for a weekend. I figured that they'd probably tour again. After a bunch of hemming and hawing, I finally came to my senses. I bought a ticket, flew to SF for a single night, and had a great time at the show. I also never imagined it would be the last time seeing Chris perform. I often think about that decision in the context of things unrelated to music.
    ToTD was was a no brainer for us.  We kind of felt like it might the one chance to see that.  We missed on 10c tickets, but a fan on this forum shared the presale code with me for night 1 (which I think was actually the 2nd show put for sale).  Before the code was shared with me we were watching the presale tickets slowly snuff out on TM and it was getting super nerve racking, but we managed to get a pair before they were all gone.

The one we almost waffled on was the year before he played in Vancouver.    I get this email before work in the morning that the tour is announced, and the presale starts immediately.  I've never seen that.. usually they hype it a few days in advance so lots of people try to buy tickets. I go in immediately and got front row.    Gobbled them up.    We still waffled and ever tried to flip them for a profit (which is something I never really do) because we figured he'd play in Victoria again (which he did the following year).    Luckily no one bit on the tickets, and we got to seem him 1 more than we would of other wise.  Helluva good show, and Hemming the opening artist was pretty damn good too.  I felt dirty for trying to flip the tickets, we basically had a sell 'em for a fortune or go to the show kind of mentality.  Ultimately the universe bitchslapped us and we went to the show :)

I think I've seen Soundgarden 5 times, Chris electric solo twice, 4 acoustic shows, Audioslave once, and ToTD once.   Wish I could see more :(

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I felt dirty for trying to flip the tickets, we basically had a sell 'em for a fortune or go to the show kind of mentality.  Ultimately the universe bitchslapped us and we went to the show :)
    Sometimes the universe gives you a little nudge and sometimes the universe slaps you upside the head :)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Zod said:
    i made the opposite decision. big regret. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,172
    edited May 2021
    Had tix to the second-to-last Soundgarden show in KC but sold them once they announced a St Louis show scheduled for May 20 2017. Major regret. ToTD Philly was the last for me. Grateful for the shows I got to see, including front row a couple times and an acoustic show in a 700-capacity venue
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I passed on TOTD because I had tickets to a football game in Minnesota. It was the right decision at the time.
    My last CC show was on the Songbook tour. The Jays had played a 14-inning playoff game that afternoon, and I ended up going straight from the game to the show. The concert felt like an afterthought. I wish I'd been in a better place to absorb what was happening; in the event I was mostly angry about the Jays.
    On the flip side, it was my wife's one time seeing CC in person. I just wish we could've got her to a SG show.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,939
    I was very  lucky to see c.c twice and both times in iconic venues. The royal albert hall and the London  palladium.
    And i saw soundgarden  5 times in the u.k .
    I still say the best solo show  i ever saw in my life  is c.c . Blew me away 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867
    I was lucky to see Chris Cornell 3 times. I saw Audioslave when they played Lollapalooza. I saw Soundgarden when they played with Nine Inch Nails, and then TotD at MSG. All incredible shows.
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    Was at the last Soundgarden show in Detroit. I remember thinking how weird it was to see half the people head for the exits while they were still on stage playing Slaves & Bulldozers. I guess people wanted to try to avoid traffic.
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    Was at the last Soundgarden show in Detroit. I remember thinking how weird it was to see half the people head for the exits while they were still on stage playing Slaves & Bulldozers. I guess people wanted to try to avoid traffic.
    apparently chris was really unhappy with the sound. could that be why people were leaving. I recall a Big Wreck show i was at, front row, and all I could hear was Ian Thornley's guitar. it was deafening. a security guard I knew told me after the show that a ton of people left early as the sound was just unbearable. mind you, this was much smaller than the fox theatre (Burton Cummings Theatre which holds about 1500). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    kenkkenk Posts: 210
    I was also at that Detroit show, right up front at the stage. Can't believe it has been 4 years already. I thought they sounded great overall, but felt like Chris was just behind the music a fraction of a second. I noticed it a lot throughout the show. But he didn't seem noticably pissed or anything during the show as I have seen other musicians get when the sound is bad.
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    apparently chris was really unhappy with the sound. could that be why people were leaving. I recall a Big Wreck show i was at, front row, and all I could hear was Ian Thornley's guitar. it was deafening. a security guard I knew told me after the show that a ton of people left early as the sound was just unbearable. mind you, this was much smaller than the fox theatre (Burton Cummings Theatre which holds about 1500). 
    I hadn't heard that and for me it explains a lot. Can I ask where you heard that? Not because I doubt you, but I'm curious.

This was my one and only time seeing Soundgarden and I remember commenting to my friend next to me that I thought the sound was really muddy and I had a hard time hearing Chris. At the time I chalked it up to the fact our seats were to the far left of the stage and so maybe the revered Fox Theater acoustics only applied when you're sitting center stage. I guess I was wrong though.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,939
    edited May 2021
    "I wish it wasn't  you she had led"
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    AO253126 said:
    I hadn't heard that and for me it explains a lot. Can I ask where you heard that? Not because I doubt you, but I'm curious.

This was my one and only time seeing Soundgarden and I remember commenting to my friend next to me that I thought the sound was really muddy and I had a hard time hearing Chris. At the time I chalked it up to the fact our seats were to the far left of the stage and so maybe the revered Fox Theater acoustics only applied when you're sitting center stage. I guess I was wrong though.
    vicky's account of the evening. she said when she spoke to Chris after the show, during his ramblings he kept going on and on about how pissed he was about the sound. it was a post she made shortly after his death. could have been on instagram. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    Yes apparently his wife was saying he was upset they didn’t fix his in-ear sound. Perhaps maybe why he was a beat behind as someone else mentioned.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    AO253126 said:

vicky's account of the evening. she said when she spoke to Chris after the show, during his ramblings he kept going on and on about how pissed he was about the sound. it was a post she made shortly after his death. could have been on instagram. 
    Thanks. I probably read that somewhere and just forgot about it. I appreciate the reminder. The whole thing still feels completely surreal even four years later.
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    AO253126 said:
    AO253126 said:

Thanks. I probably read that somewhere and just forgot about it. I appreciate the reminder. The whole thing still feels completely surreal even four years later.
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7809537/chris-cornell-final-phone-call-details-soundgarden-FB-blackout
  • Options
    AO253126 said:
    AO253126 said:
    AO253126 said:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7809537/chris-cornell-final-phone-call-details-soundgarden-FB-blackout
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I just finished Corbin Reiff's biography of Chris, Total Fucking Godhead. It was a good read and I would certainly recommend it. It's quite comprehensive, and there are a lot of interesting stories about how Soundgarden (and his other bands) wrote and recorded. One thing that made me smile: Kim Thayil didn't want to include Tighter and Tighter on Down on the Upside, and only relented after Adam Kasper started going off about how it was Stone's favorite song and all the guys in Pearl Jam loved it :)

There is obviously a lot of sadness in the book, but also some good laughs to be had. 
  • Options
    bought it some time ago, haven't been able to delve into it yet. hope to on my 4 weeks off this summer. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited June 2021
    I was lucky enough to see Chris a few times. Soundgarden, solo, TOTD. The TOTD tour was so much better than I expected.  But there is one show on the Higher Truth tour that has stuck with me as my best memory of Chris.  June 25 2016 at the Capitol theater in Port Chester NY.  I was home alone (wife and kids were away) questioning if I should drop $150 to go see this show.  Needless to say, I pulled the trigger and went solo to this show.  SO glad I did.  It was amazing and covered almost every aspect of his career. Chris and a cello. 
    Check out this set list:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/chris-cornell/2016/capitol-theatre-port-chester-ny-bffad1e.html

and maybe this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gm6it4euec&list=RD9Gm6it4euec&start_radio=1&rv=9Gm6it4euec&t=30

Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    Damn, can't believe it's been five years already :cry:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Damn, can't believe it's been five years already :cry:
    I know. I can't believe how long it's been. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,808
    Reminds me of the Brad Album cover smaller bill but it's $

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,784
    edited October 2023
    True. Reasonable for collectors of OG art 2 of 4 from a darn good artist screen print and hand paint.  I'd guess he will make cheaper prints down the road. 
    Rip CC
    ..I know he still should be with us...I guess he is...just fucking gone
    Post edited by Loujoe on