Options

Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    edited June 2021
    brianlux said:

this guy was in my apartment a few years ago.

had one of a garter snake but can't find it anywhere
    Awesome!  Bats are so cool!  We've had a few in the shed at times.

Love that frog.  Out cat Annie was desperately trying to get to something behind a bookshelf the other night.  I just figured it was another crane fly (which she sometimes eats!).  Turns out it was a little frog.  Thankfully I caught it and took it outside before she could mangle it.  This (and the fact the we have the occasional fox, coyote and racoon around here) is exactly why she is an indoor cat.  Other wise she would be a serial killer (birds, rabbits, lizards, frogs, etc) or victim to the fox, coyote or racoon.  She has a real kill or be killed nature... except with humans, and then she is sweet as can be!
    cool, where do you live again? 
    had another bat in my apartment.  Came home late last night and two things were knocked over on a really high shelf.  Thought it might have been my cat bit there was no way she could have gotten up there.  Went to bed and woke up around 5 for some reason and saw a bat flying around my apartment (which isn't too big by the way).  first thing i did was put my cat in the other room so she wouldn't be in the way.  then i opened up the door that leads into the building hallway and my porch door hoping it would fly out but no just kept on flying on circles pretty much.  Tried "shooing" it away with a box and accidentally hit twice.  second time i hit it, it fell on my chair.  i just grabbed some magazines and picked it up with them and tossed it out the porch door.  It wasn't injured, It flew away so glad i didn't hurt it too bad.
    and again this morning. That's like 4th or 5th bat i've had in apartment in the past 10 or so years. Cat woke me up around 5:30 or so and saw her staring at something. Then i heard flapping above my head and saw the bat. Opened up the door to the hallway of my apartment complex and also the screen door to my porch hoping it would fly out and it did after about 5 minutes or so. Sorry no pics. Do have video which i posted on facebook.
    Well another bat was in my apartment the past two nights. Thought it escaped the one night cause I didn’t see it. Woke up in the middle of the night and saw it flying around the room again. Opened up the hallway and back porch screen door and it flew out in the hallway. Came back from work today and he was sleeping upside down by my upstairs neighbors door. Maintenance came down and got him with a net and set him free.

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Love that frog.  Out cat Annie was desperately trying to get to something behind a bookshelf the other night.  I just figured it was another crane fly (which she sometimes eats!).  Turns out it was a little frog.  Thankfully I caught it and took it outside before she could mangle it.  This (and the fact the we have the occasional fox, coyote and racoon around here) is exactly why she is an indoor cat.  Other wise she would be a serial killer (birds, rabbits, lizards, frogs, etc) or victim to the fox, coyote or racoon.  She has a real kill or be killed nature... except with humans, and then she is sweet as can be!
    had another bat in my apartment.  Came home late last night and two things were knocked over on a really high shelf.  Thought it might have been my cat bit there was no way she could have gotten up there.  Went to bed and woke up around 5 for some reason and saw a bat flying around my apartment (which isn't too big by the way).  first thing i did was put my cat in the other room so she wouldn't be in the way.  then i opened up the door that leads into the building hallway and my porch door hoping it would fly out but no just kept on flying on circles pretty much.  Tried "shooing" it away with a box and accidentally hit twice.  second time i hit it, it fell on my chair.  i just grabbed some magazines and picked it up with them and tossed it out the porch door.  It wasn't injured, It flew away so glad i didn't hurt it too bad.
    and again this morning. That's like 4th or 5th bat i've had in apartment in the past 10 or so years. Cat woke me up around 5:30 or so and saw her staring at something. Then i heard flapping above my head and saw the bat. Opened up the door to the hallway of my apartment complex and also the screen door to my porch hoping it would fly out and it did after about 5 minutes or so. Sorry no pics. Do have video which i posted on facebook.
    Well another bat was in my apartment the past two nights. Thought it escaped the one night cause I didn’t see it. Woke up in the middle of the night and saw it flying around the room again. Opened up the hallway and back porch screen door and it flew out in the hallway. Came back from work today and he was sleeping upside down by my upstairs neighbors door. Maintenance came down and got him with a net and set him free.

Well woke up to find another bat (or possibly the same one) in my apartment. Not quite sure how they are getting in cause there’s an apartment above and below me. Only thing I can think of it’s somehow getting in through where my washer and dryer are. There is a space where they can fit in. Well here it is chillin’ on my AC. Now it’s in our hallway again.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    brianlux said:

Well woke up to find another bat (or possibly the same one) in my apartment. Not quite sure how they are getting in cause there’s an apartment above and below me. Only thing I can think of it’s somehow getting in through where my washer and dryer are. There is a space where they can fit in. Well here it is chillin’ on my AC. Now it’s in our hallway again.

Nice photo. But waking up to a bat in my apartment would totally freak me out. How is your cat reacting to it. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,473
    Don't eat it! :)
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

Nice photo. But waking up to a bat in my apartment would totally freak me out. How is your cat reacting to it. 

i think she's used to it now :lol:. The first couple times my cats were excited and Kali chased one once. The last few times she hasn't really done anything.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:

i think she's used to it now :lol:. The first couple times my cats were excited and Kali chased one once. The last few times she hasn't really done anything.
    I am glad they didn’t catch it. I would be a little nervous about disease if they came in contact with it. My cats are up to date with rabies shots. But as we know bats are notorious carriers of disease. Your landlord needs to take care of this. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    brianlux said:

Bats are so cool and nice that you got photos!
    A few nights ago, I went to open up our enclosed breezeway for the night to cool it off and before I could get the screen door closed a bat flew in.  I gave it time to find its way back out before closing up.  It was fun to watch it do it's herky jerky flight for a minute or two.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,895
    under this  coot is chick just hatched.  It was still in half it's  shell
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The picture doesn't  do it justice
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954

Caught this mother coon on our bird feeder

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

That is great!
    We have a few different types and watching the squirrels get creative as to how they access is pretty entertaining.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766

Nice picture. We had one screaming in our yard a few years ago with a young one.
  • Options

• Options
    Mom turtle comes to our yard every year. I was able to watch it for a while and make sure it crossed the street safely.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Loujoe said:
    Mom turtle comes to our yard every year. I was able to watch it for a while and make sure it crossed the street safely.
    I love turtles. My parents used to have one that would come to their yard to sun itself on the top end of their driveway. Now I mostly see lizards and deer when I visit them. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    Loujoe said:

Sweet!  They are so cool!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    England is so lame for wildlife compared.  Love all these animals on your door step. I saw the largest  dragon fly today. A bit scary actually.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    This was on my lettuce.  Wwithout  google  can you identify this. It blew my mind
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Looks similar to ladybug larvae over here. Cool and they eat aphids.
  • Options
    Bang on lou.  I was so suprised as its bigger than  what it turns into . Magical
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Cool! I knew something! Strange things and look nothing like an adult. All about helping the bugs!!
  • Options

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    That s an amazing scene rob.   How far are you outside the city? (London I believe)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    London  is surrounded  by the  motorway M25 im on the junction 22. Its green around  here. This is 5.30 am this morning  i lost the  plot  and went walking to my allotment.  So this is 10 mins walk from  my door. Im lucky to live  in a very picturesque place. This  photo is a farm
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Nice Mrat. When I cut my grass I always try to cut around the clovers. The animals and bugs depend on the weeds that a lot of people kill. Let them grow if you can.
  • Options
    this guy  intrigues me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    This moth was in my hall. Amazingly  large and coloured
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    edited July 2021
    have seen this gal(?) flying around the backyard(s) the past couple days. first days being chased by what sounded like some crows. At least they were sounding the alarm. Yesterday I think she took flight from our tree. Today has her sitting here....

now I have to change my rat control procedure. Dont want him getting sick from a poisoned rat.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Is it a buzzard?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07