Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My favorite active author (that is, unless Pynchon still has one in him):

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    One of my favorite authors....closing out a series with the 13th book.  Sure, some of it dragged, but overall an outstanding series.  Will be sorry to see it end but look forward to where BC takes is to learn about with his next historical fiction series.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    dankind said:
    My favorite active author (that is, unless Pynchon still has one in him):

This looks really cool, might be my next to pick up, thanks!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Amor Towles - A Gentleman in Moscow

Amazonfr - A Gentleman in Moscow A Novel - Towles Amor Smith Nicholas  Guy - Livres
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,212
    I haven't posted in a while, but I've read and listened to a few pretty good books the last couple of months. This has been my most productive reading year in a long time. I do start and stop a lot of books though, but my completion rate has been much better this year :smile:

Recently found this one in our local library's "Luck You" section where you can only get the book if it's in and can't renew. Glad I stumbled upon it because I love The Beatles and anything related. A good read.

Grabbed this one because I loved the cover art and description. Good psychological thriller.

We did a family road trip over spring break and started listening to the Serafina series with the kids. Loved all 4 of them and finished the last one yesterday. It was a lot of fun and especially enjoyable since we had visited the Biltmore estate in NC recently.

I know some mock the Hunger Games trilogy, but I really enjoyed those books when they came out so when I found the most recent entry in the Lucky You section last week I had to grab it. Highly enjoying it so far.

Also listening to the story about the Chernobyl disaster on my work day commutes. Always fascinated by historical content. It's a pretty intriguing account that really challenges me since I do not know a lot about nuclear reactors and have to really follow the descriptions so I understand it.

Audio CD Midnight in Chernobyl The Untold Story of the Worlds Greatest Nuclear Disaster Book

Lastly, I have been reading the books my son is assigned for his 6th grade language arts class so we can also discuss them. It has been fun and I've enjoyed the books. The most recent one was I Am Malala and now this one.
    Watsons Go To Birmingham -1963 updated paperback christopher Paul  Curtis  Target
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Project Hail Mary, Andy Weir 

A good read so far. Those who enjoyed The Martian will definitely enjoy this - very similar in style. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Project Hail Mary, Andy Weir 

A good read so far. Those who enjoyed The Martian will definitely enjoy this - very similar in style. 

Good to hear.  Got it today, next in queue.
    After this.
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders 9780812985405   PenguinRandomHousecom Books

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,669
    sadly, I gave up on the Krishnamurti anthology I was trying to work through.  I got the gist of his teaching and it's great, but there's just more esoteric and abstract content to keep my interest for something that long.  I've moved on to this interesting story:
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,820
    brianlux said:
    sadly, I gave up on the Krishnamurti anthology I was trying to work through.  I got the gist of his teaching and it's great, but there's just more esoteric and abstract content to keep my interest for something that long.  I've moved on to this interesting story:
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

I love Dave Eggers. How is that. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is one of my favorite books ever. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    brianlux said:
    Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

I love Dave Eggers. How is that. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is one of my favorite books ever. 

The first half of this book is more or less what I'd expected- a book about Hurricane Katrina and a wonderful story about a man who stays behind to help others.  I'm now into the second half of the book and it is turning out to be one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. It's a very well written book, for sure, but it is also putting my head into a very bad space because it went from confirming the goodness that is in the hearts of many people, to exposing the evil that resides in at least some, perhaps many among us.  How I will feel at the end, I don't know yet.

(Anyone who has read this, please- no spoilers.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,820

I like it so far. I liked the first one as well. It is basically the same formula as the first one, but I like all the cultural references. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    GlowGirl said:

I like it so far. I liked the first one as well. It is basically the same formula as the first one, but I like all the cultural references. 
    Cool, glad you're digging it.
  • Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Hot damn!  Is it good?  If so, I've GOT to read that!!!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

Hot damn!  Is it good?  If so, I've GOT to read that!!!
    I’m just getting into it. It’s an anthology, so hit and miss for me so far. A friend wrote the “Sister Ray” story, which may be the best of the bunch. They are crime stories, so they are quick, sensationalist reads. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Reading on the recommendation of someone here....

• Options
    Reading on the recommendation of someone here....

Serge Storms!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yup
  • Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

• Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited June 2021
    dankind said:
    Hahaha!
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549

On my list
    hope to pick it up soon
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg