MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    "Gerrit, have you ever cheated?"
    "Um, I um, I um...I think I'll have a sandwich"
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Fine to view their accomplishments and statistics in this new light but I think labeling these guys as all out cheaters may be going a little too far. As poorly as he handled that question, on the rebound he seemed to point out that it’s pretty openly discussed in locker rooms and there have been alot of hitters approve of various substances as a safety measure.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    DewieCox said:
    Fine to view their accomplishments and statistics in this new light but I think labeling these guys as all out cheaters may be going a little too far. As poorly as he handled that question, on the rebound he seemed to point out that it’s pretty openly discussed in locker rooms and there have been alot of hitters approve of various substances as a safety measure.
    I agree I wouldn't label them as cheaters.Which, fair, but also think this leans toward the problem of blurring the lines. Batters approve of rosin, etc, certain substances, so that they're not losing their heads to a 90mph slider. But then the line keeps getting pushed, and then the pitchers say, "well you said this was alright". And then I'm sure some of these lunkhead hitters are thinking the same thing, like, "yeah, that's true, I guess I can't really argue with that." And on and on the lines get blurred. 

Like that SI article mentioned, spin rates are significantly up, and not just by a little bit while K rates are through the roof. Plus, the part where they're talking about you can now literally hear the ball tearing away from the pitcher's fingers to the point of it sounds like a tear/snap out of the hand and that's not nothin'. I think if they're looking into a way to readjust the game then I think the obvious and inevitable answer is to come down hard on this stuff. And when that happens pitchers are gonna biiiiiitch big time.

That blurred area is why Cole knows full well it's wrong and get super uncomfortable, but then knows exactly the argument to make and turns to the what-about-isms of "legislation".
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    One of the National reporters today said a few of the more advanced teams have literally hired chemists to come up with stuff. What started as rosin and sunscreen seems to have gotten out of control.

They’ll crack down and come up with something better than the rosin mixture and worse than what they are currently using.

At the end of the day, the best pitchers will still be the best pitchers since everyone is doing it.

As with everything, baseball is so reactionary and only does something once it’s obvious and out of control

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    It's already against the rules so why MLB ignores yet another clear violation is frustrating. I mean, Cole knows it's against the rules and plays the whole "my peers" bullshit argument. Same shit I hear from my kids, "but so and so said...".
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    cutz said:

Tremendous deflecting here and an obviously resounding "yes, I have". 
    It's dumb that he wasn't prepared for that question, but whatever.  It's also dumb he's becoming the face of it, but that's what happens with the big contract.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    It's dumb that he wasn't prepared for that question, but whatever.  It's also dumb he's becoming the face of it, but that's what happens with the big contract.
    I feel like they should put a light bulb above his head at that moment. It's like he realized, that's what that shit is called and then went down the rabbit hole of passed down traditions BS.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    I feel like they should put a light bulb above his head at that moment. It's like he realized, that's what that shit is called and then went down the rabbit hole of passed down traditions BS.
    Yeah, I mean the tradition thing is dumb. What's he supposed to say though? The team has a chemist on staff to give me the stickiest stuff possible?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    it is cheating and the game sucks right now because of it.
    pjhawks said:
    I mean, not sure anyone has disagreed with that 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, I mean the tradition thing is dumb. What's he supposed to say though? The team has a chemist on staff to give me the stickiest stuff possible?
    That is what I wondered as well.
    He gets to be the poster child because of his contract, status, and timing of turning into one of the best of the best....but this isn't Bonds, Giambi and the dudes who got huge.  It is almost everyone.
    I know it is wrong but I think this is funny the way it is rolling out.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    pjhawks said:
    I mean, not sure anyone has disagreed with that 
    I do.  I love seeing the domination of pitchers.Funny that everyone said that the HR’s were a problem these last few years, lol.

Want to make it exciting?  Bring in slap hitters that move runners and aren’t worried about launch angle. Steal more bases.  Suicide squeeze.

Stop w the analytics and a HR is the only thing that matters.

I can remember watching pitchers like John Tudor pull any the seams to raise them ever so slightly.
    I can also remember Sparky Anderson asking the pitcher for the ball and spitting on it to do lord knows what, lol.

Licking fingers on rubber then pitching is still considered illegal too.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Spider Tack reminds me of the stickum scene in The Replacements

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    tbergs said:
    ...but this isn't Bonds, Giambi and the dudes who got huge.  It is almost everyone.

Steroids was “almost everyone” too. :whistle:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    So Cole won and spin rate is still up there.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Well he threw harder which makes the ball able to spin more.

at least cliffy is objective. for F’me, this is a little cheating....kind of like being a little pregnant.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I'm fine with whatever pitchers do.
    Wobbie said:
    at least cliffy is objective. for F’me, this is a little cheating....kind of like being a little pregnant.
    I pulled out way early on that one

(Big Ern!)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    We're well aware.
    We're well aware.
    The way the umps check things in between innings is a joke.  Why don't they look at the ball after it was pitched?  Every time a ball scuffs the ground they discard it, why not check to see if it's sticky or what not?
    We're well aware.
    The way the umps check things in between innings is a joke.  Why don't they look at the ball after it was pitched?  Every time a ball scuffs the ground they discard it, why not check to see if it's sticky or what not?
    Because they know it is going on, of course, and have known all along.
    We're well aware.
    Because they know it is going on, of course, and have known all along.
    Isn't it a cop out though?  An ump should be able to tell right off that the ball is doctored.

Gaylord Perry made a HOF career of doing it and hiding it very well.

Hell Joe Niekro used a damn nail file, lol.  Mike Scott thre the nastiest pitch I ever saw but never could prove that he used something.
    They play their role so that they get to do what they want, as well.
    The fix / the nod, whatever you want to call it.....open secret and nobody cared.
    They play their role so that they get to do what they want, as well.
    The fix / the nod, whatever you want to call it.....open secret and nobody cared.
    Like steroids?  Like sign stealing?

Baseball has had players bending the rules since it's invention, lol.  I love reading old stories of John McGraw going from first to third, across the diamond, when the umpire had his back turned.  Ahhhh great stories.
    I laugh when I see poo-holes “run”

two tool player heading to the hall, while five tool Bonds gets frozen out by butt hurt sportswriters. :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16