Options

Petty/PJ . . . different kind of fan?

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Just wondering if anyone else has been to a Tom Petty show recently?
I was at one at Redrocks a couple of years ago, and the people were so . . . un-pearl jam! There were at least 5 fights just were I was and folks were so drunk and unfriendly. I am hoping for a different kind of show, but that was the worst group of show-goers I have ever seen. . . and I have been to lots of shows, including 50 greatful dead shows. Anyone????
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    I will be very dissapointed if this is a "Petty" show. There have been numerous posts about PJ playing for 90 mins and Petty playing for 2 hours. I'm spending a lot of money to go to both shows in St. Paul and wouldn't be happy if this was the case. 10c says they are both playing "full sets" I just don't know how much Petty I can listen to. He's great, but if he plays for 2 and a half hours AFTER PJ finish it's really going to bring me down off my high.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    PJcrazy wrote:
    I was at one at Redrocks a couple of years ago, and the people were so . . . un-pearl jam! There were at least 5 fights just were I was and folks were so drunk and unfriendly. I am hoping for a different kind of show, but that was the worst group of show-goers I have ever seen. . . and I have been to lots of shows, including 50 greatful dead shows. Anyone????
    Really? My friend is seeing Petty in August for her 4rth time, and I will be seeing him at this same show for my first Tom Petty show. I asked her about his shows today, as we both have lawn seats. and she said the crowd is real mellow. Lots of teens to early 20's to middle aged adult type crowd. Out of all the shows she has seen, she said the people (especially the lawn) just usually sit on their blankets smoke a few bowls, and groove to some great rock. The Petty/ PJ maybe a little different though. While Pearl jam is my favorite band, and they do put on the best show ever, I hope everyone treats Petty, and the fellow concert goers with respect. I am a Tom Petty fan too, and I am looking forward to seeing him. Wish PJ was playing though. If they get up and jam together- that would be amazing and incredible. It could happen, cause Stevie Nicks has been singing and playing with him the last few nights.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    pjrvm wrote:
    I will be very dissapointed if this is a "Petty" show. There have been numerous posts about PJ playing for 90 mins and Petty playing for 2 hours. I'm spending a lot of money to go to both shows in St. Paul and wouldn't be happy if this was the case. 10c says they are both playing "full sets" I just don't know how much Petty I can listen to. He's great, but if he plays for 2 and a half hours AFTER PJ finish it's really going to bring me down off my high.

they are co-headliners. the time is supposed to be equally split.

that would be 90 for PJ and 90 for Tom
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,368
    PJcrazy wrote:

I went to a Petty show Saturday night.... and there was a fight 5 minutes into the show. However, Trey from Phish was opening, so there was a more diverse crowd there than I would normally expect at a Petty show. The Phish phans seemed well behaved.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    PJ fans are the best.. going to other shows proves this.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    pjrvm wrote:

i've seen petty play a bunch of times. he has yet to play for 2 full hours

having said that, i dont think PJ will end up with more than 90mins

tom petty has been one of my heros, fighting the good fight, for 30years now. if you don't personally like/love him then leave the show. he won't miss you at all ;)
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I like Petty ok.... just the people i had a issue with.
    Thanks to all your replies. I'm sure all will be well, and it will be a great show.... can't go wrong with PJ, for sure!
  • Options
    I went to a Petty show last summer and seemed like most people on the lawn were in their thirties and just chillin out on their blankets or standing and in very large groups. But that's the lawn. People were somewhat obnoxious but not too bad.
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    Haha, I just got home from the Petty show tonight in Columbus, OH. I work at the venue, and had kind of a weird night. I started the night working at a gate, but by the end of the night got moved to an area in the seats. Because all the pavillion seats didnt sell, they let the people from the lawn fill in the back I guess, I had literally not been there 5 minutes when a fight happened which left blood all over the ground and one dude with a pretty bad looking cut up face. I was very surpriesed at the amount of "hippie" looking people tonight, I mean I know Trey opened, but these people were showing up late and were there to see Petty.

I did however see a Binaural tour shirt, and a Get Right T shirt on a pretty old dude. That was cool.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    What the fuck is it with People getting into fights at a Tom Petty show?? I figured Trey and Petty would draw a pretty mellow crowd of nice people like a pearl jam crowd does. Is it just people getting too wasted, and deciding to fight? From the amount of fights I have read over the last few days on this thread and hearing about people leaving bloody... it almost sounds like Tom crowd sounds like a Pantera pit from some of the reviews I have read on this board. I have lawn seats, so I think I should be fine, but the last thing I ever want to have happen is to get my ass beat at a concert. That would suck. Some asshole at the Toadies was really wasted (as was everyone else), and tried to pick a fight with me because someone behind me, shoved me into him. I just don't want any shit being started. Are the fights usually up front? My friend has seen Petty 4 times, and she said, the lawn crowd usually just sits and smokes weed, or stands in groups, so it should be ok, but damn, never expected to hear about this at Tom Petty.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    fights at petty? man, i've seen petty a ood 10 times and never saw even an argument- petty fans are stoner rock n roll mid 30's- they probably wont get all the avocado and harder PJ- but they'll grove out to the basics.

8/25/00NY, 9/1/00NJ, 4/30/03NY, 7/2&3/03MSG, 7/14/03NJ, 10/13/04 EdW/Boss, 9/24&25/05 St Johns, 5/13/06CT, 5/27&28/06NJ, 6/1/06NJ, 6/3/06NJ, 6/24/06 OH, 7/15-16/06CA, Lolla07, DC, MSGx2, MA1, ED SOLO NYC1&2!