Options

Cluthe/Lee - a band born on these boards!

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Cut, paste, slide, adjust. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    edited May 2021
    A guy I met online in a Watchmen fan page and I got to talking....he's learning a song on piano and I'm singing it....I have no fucking clue how I'll do my part. I'm technologically declined. splicing those parts would give me a heart attack. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    A guy I met online in a Watchmen fan page and I got to talking....he's learning a song on piano and I'm singing it....I have no fucking clue how I'll do my part. I'm technologically declined. splicing those parts would give me a heart attack. 
    I hear ya---it can be overwhelming at first. Then you create your process and how you attack the individual tracks and it gets a bit easier, but still can be overwhelming. I'm in the midst of tackling some of these Cluthe/Lee tunes + songs for a solo album and I am a but rusty, but I'm easing back into it. Chris has always had a much firmer grasp of the mixing/mastering compared to me, but it's fun to jump in and try.

As for your collaboration, I'd be happy to help walk you through it to make it as easy as possible. If there's a main piano track, you just need an mp3 of that track to dump into GB. Then, you create a new vocal track and use your headphones (to prevent bleed) while singing your part. Again, I'd be happy to assist.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    I hear ya---it can be overwhelming at first. Then you create your process and how you attack the individual tracks and it gets a bit easier, but still can be overwhelming. I'm in the midst of tackling some of these Cluthe/Lee tunes + songs for a solo album and I am a but rusty, but I'm easing back into it. Chris has always had a much firmer grasp of the mixing/mastering compared to me, but it's fun to jump in and try.

As for your collaboration, I'd be happy to help walk you through it to make it as easy as possible. If there's a main piano track, you just need an mp3 of that track to dump into GB. Then, you create a new vocal track and use your headphones (to prevent bleed) while singing your part. Again, I'd be happy to assist.
    wow, thanks Matt! I'll let you know! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006 said:

wow, thanks Matt! I'll let you know! 
    You bet, man! Happy to help.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

Definitely takes patience and practice, but once you get the basics, it is more like indigestion! And disclaimer, that photo you replied to is of a mildly complicated situation of lining up a performance that was late or early with the main guitar and vocals. Matt is your go to for recording vox in a DAW like Garageband or Pro Tools. He once recorded some vocals for a song from another room! Ha!

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Plugged in and jammed away on this gorgeous song that Matt wrote. I got chills that I haven’t felt in 8 years! Also, I just have to gush about my Tele. It plays SO well. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another guitar again. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Plugged in and jammed away on this gorgeous song that Matt wrote. I got chills that I haven’t felt in 8 years! Also, I just have to gush about my Tele. It plays SO well. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another guitar again. 
    Nice, man! Which song was it? We need to catch up this weekend!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Just finishing polishing up a couple live songs Matt and I did together late summer of 2018 in his basement studio. I brought my drums, some mics, mixer and laptop and captured 3 hours of playing. One in particular really shines! Not sure they are anything we’ll release, but it sure was fun going and listening. Always a little bittersweet cos’ it’s only one of four or five times we’ve played in the same room together. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Just finishing polishing up a couple live songs Matt and I did together late summer of 2018 in his basement studio. I brought my drums, some mics, mixer and laptop and captured 3 hours of playing. One in particular really shines! Not sure they are anything we’ll release, but it sure was fun going and listening. Always a little bittersweet cos’ it’s only one of four or five times we’ve played in the same room together. 
    It’ll happen this summer, man! Count on it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Finished up the first round of mixing and mastering on a batch of songs in contention for LP #4. I messed up the first round by not exporting the mixed file as an uncompressed 16 bit stereo AIFF. Thankfully that part was easy to fix, but also allowed me to go back and revisit all 11 songs and make some adjustments. In particular I discovered that the order you apply compression, dynamics and limiting in the mastering file makes a difference in GarageBand. I also compressed some parts of songs in mixing and discovered that applying compression in mastering was like double compression. Not good if you want to squeeze the life out of a part. All of this has been fun to dive into, but I have to say, my OCD has been tough to tame! Also, hearing the same song or part repeatedly at night triggered some anxiety (ie anxious cos’ it’s tough to shut down). All good though my friends! I have lived through much much worse, Matt knows. He was there for me during a very low period years ago. Very much looking forward to getting Matt’s feedback, we aren’t in a rush, so updates will be here and there. I do want to say I just love these songs! Matt is one of my favorite singer songwriters & he’s on his game where these songs are concerned. I also feel quite lucky to have such an intimate seat to his craft all these years. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    It's been a minute. Chris and I have been chipping away at this album and we are entering the final phase. Sorry for all of the delays, but the last couple of years have been nuts for everyone...us included.

I listened to it earlier tonight & really liked what I heard. We text constantly, but we'll be hanging out soon and talking about live shows and what happens after this album is done.

He is the best collaborator I could have asked for, to be honest. He's an amazing musician/guitarist & also a great listener. What I mean by that is that he gives me space to work these songs out. (I think I definitely go hot/cold here & there, but he's patient) On top of that, he's one of my best friends and he really cares about each song and wants them to be something we'd like to listen to.

Ok. News soon, we hope. Almost done. The next one will follow this one pretty quick, I think.

Be well, all & thanks for listening.

And, Chris....see you soon! @2-feign-reluctance

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    It's been a minute. Chris and I have been chipping away at this album and we are entering the final phase. Sorry for all of the delays, but the last couple of years have been nuts for everyone...us included.

I listened to it earlier tonight & really liked what I heard. We text constantly, but we'll be hanging out soon and talking about live shows and what happens after this album is done.

He is the best collaborator I could have asked for, to be honest. He's an amazing musician/guitarist & also a great listener. What I mean by that is that he gives me space to work these songs out. (I think I definitely go hot/cold here & there, but he's patient) On top of that, he's one of my best friends and he really cares about each song and wants them to be something we'd like to listen to.

Ok. News soon, we hope. Almost done. The next one will follow this one pretty quick, I think.

Be well, all & thanks for listening.

And, Chris....see you soon! @2-feign-reluctance

Aw thanks my friend! Love ya! ❤️
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Hi all,

It's been a little while, but I thought I'd share a random little EP that I released last weekend. It'll be on Apple Music, Spotify, etc in the next several days, but it's on Bandcamp now. Here's the info:

I have been working on my upcoming solo album for a (very) long time, It's close to being done, but I wanted to do something different.

I had the idea this morning (7/16/22) to record a spontaneous EP on my iPhone and release it. I thought it would take a couple of days to come up with a few songs, but it took an hour or 2....after that, I kept recording the ideas, but will save them for later.

This EP is spontaneous...no edits, no overdubs, and very real. It was recording in our kitchen here in KCMO, hence the name of the album. The intro is a little thing that I play on the Uke all the time...the rest were written today. Hope you all enjoy it!

Link: https://mattcluthe1.bandcamp.com/releases
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi all,

It's been a little while, but I thought I'd share a random little EP that I released last weekend. It'll be on Apple Music, Spotify, etc in the next several days, but it's on Bandcamp now. Here's the info:

I have been working on my upcoming solo album for a (very) long time, It's close to being done, but I wanted to do something different.

I had the idea this morning (7/16/22) to record a spontaneous EP on my iPhone and release it. I thought it would take a couple of days to come up with a few songs, but it took an hour or 2....after that, I kept recording the ideas, but will save them for later.

This EP is spontaneous...no edits, no overdubs, and very real. It was recording in our kitchen here in KCMO, hence the name of the album. The intro is a little thing that I play on the Uke all the time...the rest were written today. Hope you all enjoy it!

Neat idea....and, wow, what a burst of creativity. Good stuff, and always real, MFC!
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi all,

Neat idea....and, wow, what a burst of creativity. Good stuff, and always real, MFC!
    Thanks, man!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    "Wheels"... That's a damn good song man. Sounds good raw and bare bone, would love to hear more of that with some more instruments to it if you ever decide to go that route....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    "Wheels"... That's a damn good song man. Sounds good raw and bare bone, would love to hear more of that with some more instruments to it if you ever decide to go that route....
    Thanks a lot! May try that someday
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi all,

Bumpers for a beautiful EP! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi all,

PURCHASED. looking forward to listening to this today Matt
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi all,

Thanks, man! I hope you enjoy it. This little project has opened the flood gates and I can't seem to stop writing. Hope to do another release like this before the solo album is released. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi all,

Thanks, man! I hope you enjoy it. This little project has opened the flood gates and I can't seem to stop writing. Hope to do another release like this before the solo album is released. 
    really digging it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I gather track 1 is an homage to a certain someone's second solo album?  ;)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Hi all,

really digging it. 
    Thanks! It was really crazy how it all came together. The track listing is simply the order that I wrote them...no thought given to it at all. 

I gather track 1 is an homage to a certain someone's second solo album?  ;)
    Someone else said that as well - in all honesty, I've only listened to Uke Songs once or twice, and it's been quite some time since I've listened to it. That track is an abbreviated version of something I've tinkered around with for years on the uke that's hanging in our living room. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it sounds like EV, though. He's had a huge influence on my music & that riff/progression may have stuck somewhere in my brain. What song does it sound like?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    sounds like the beginning of Satellite to me. I've listened to the EP three times now, really like it. looking forward to listening to this at the cottage next week on the beach or around the pool/hot tub (rental cottage-I'm not rich haha)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    sounds like the beginning of Satellite to me. I've listened to the EP three times now, really like it. looking forward to listening to this at the cottage next week on the beach or around the pool/hot tub (rental cottage-I'm not rich haha)
    Glad you like it!

Just listened to the intro of Satellite....slight similarity, but his song sounds much more complex! Ha! 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    well, he also spent a decade fine tuning it I'm guessing. you wrote and recorded it in one day. that's something. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    well, he also spent a decade fine tuning it I'm guessing. you wrote and recorded it in one day. that's something. 
    That song is a little thing that I'd been plucking on the Uke for a year or so & it's a lot longer than what I recorded. (all of the other songs were written that day in the order that they appear)

I just thought it would be a fun was to open up the EP with an abbreviated version, so I recorded that first. I also intentionally ended the song on C because I had the chord idea for song #2 (Wheels) that starts on C. Ok---enough of me being a music nerd. Just glad it's out there and that people are enjoying it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi all,

I listened to our second album, Life Can Go, for the first time in a long time today. Wow! It still holds up and brought back a ton of memories. It also got me really excited that Chris and I are wrapping up our 4th album. Beyond that, I can’t wait to start working on new songs again! 

What’s your favorite song from this album?

Have a great weekend,
    Matt

Big shout out to my sister, Maura for her amazing artwork!!!

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com