Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,503
    dankind said:
    i'm sorry. I'm really really sorry to have to say this. but seriously, it often comes across as many americans as having the IQ of a fucking toaster. 
    Please don’t be sorry because it’s the truth. It’s actually embarrassing. Imagine dealing with these dip shits in person everyday. 
    There's a great play by an English playwright titled The Madness of George III. It was adapted for the screen a few years after it's stage premiere, and the director decided to change the title to the equally great film to The Madness of King George so that Americans wouldn't be confused and think they needed to see The Madness of George I and The Madness of George II before enjoying The Madness of George III.
    I am waiting until they release The Madness of George; Tokyo Drift before I go see it. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    dankind said:
    i'm sorry. I'm really really sorry to have to say this. but seriously, it often comes across as many americans as having the IQ of a fucking toaster. 
    Please don’t be sorry because it’s the truth. It’s actually embarrassing. Imagine dealing with these dip shits in person everyday. 
    There's a great play by an English playwright titled The Madness of George III. It was adapted for the screen a few years after it's stage premiere, and the director decided to change the title to the equally great film to The Madness of King George so that Americans wouldn't be confused and think they needed to see The Madness of George I and The Madness of George II before enjoying The Madness of George III.
    I am waiting until they release The Madness of George; Tokyo Drift before I go see it. 
    Now that's funny.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Very disturbing news!

Trump’s grip over Republicans hardens as party cleaves to election ‘big lie’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/10/republicans-trump-election-big-lie

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited May 2021
    The GOP is so dumb for still riding the Trump train. It was one thing to use him because he beat Hillary and had power. But vilifying the likes of Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney (actual real conservative republicans) and still going on about a stolen election to appease Trump-lovers is political suicide. What's their endgame? Trump being elected in 2024? They'd have a better chance to win the White House with someone like DeSantis. But DeSantis probably wouldn't even run against Trump in a 2024 primary out of fear of pissing off Trump's base and ruining his future chances. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The GOP is so dumb for still riding the Trump train. It was one thing to use him because he beat Hillary and had power. But vilifying the likes of Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney (actual real conservative republicans) and still going on about a stolen election to appease Trump-lovers is political suicide. What's their endgame? Trump being elected in 2024? They'd have a better chance to win the White House with someone like DeSantis. But DeSantis probably wouldn't even run against Trump in a 2024 primary out of fear of pissing off Trump's base and ruining his future chances. 
    Of course Cheney's replacement (Stefanik) is barely a Republican from a policy standpoint.  The only reason she's being put up is 1. she's a woman and 2. She supported the Trump lies, so Trump likes her.  It's yet more direct evidence that a set of principles is irrelevant to the party today.  It's only fealty.  
  • Options

I agree and yet, if Trump manages to hold his favor with enough Republicans, might he be a threat after all in 2024?  I hope not but I'm not overly confident that way.  The man is a menace and his followers are very fixated on him.  I find it all highly disturbing.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited May 2021
    brianlux said:

I agree and yet, if Trump manages to hold his favor with enough Republicans, might he be a threat after all in 2024?  I hope not but I'm not overly confident that way.  The man is a menace and his followers are very fixated on him.  I find it all highly disturbing.
    Sure it's not out of the realm of possibility that Trump can run and win in 2024...because anything's freaking possible at this point. But if I was the GOP, I wouldn't be banking on that. I'd want to build new candidates (something that both parties have failed to do in my opinion). Trump barely won in 2016, and in 2020, he lost and the GOP lost their congressional majority. So what was the benefit of Trump anyway? I guess he appointed a lot of conservatives to judicial positions. But in the long run, it seems he'll hurt them more than he's helped them. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    dankind said:
    They changed the title of the first Harry Potter book to suit Americans, so that's not surprising at all.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
      Ledbetterman10 said:
    Single-party rule is their endgame.  They know they're the minority and they're still working on it.  That should scare people.

Can Trump in in 2024? Of course. He just won Georgia.  And several other states are following their lead.  It was nice to see Trump lose but the GQP had a great election season aside from that, particularly at the state level. They wanted the takeover to be as covert as possible.  But they'll kill the Republic in broad daylight if they have to. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:
    They changed the title of the first Harry Potter book to suit Americans, so that's not surprising at all.
    Because Americans don't know the word "philosopher" but understand "sorcerer"?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:
    Pretty much. They thought it would confuse people.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:
    Sorry, that doesn't make any sense.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:
    Sorry, that doesn't make any sense.  
    toasters. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I've never read or seen Harry Potter, but it seems like it's just a marketing ploy for American audiences. "Sorcerer's Stone" sounds fun and whimsical, like a Disney movie. "Philosopher's Stone" sounds like it could be boring and pretentious, like a lecture. Consider the following examples. Which would appeal more to young readers/movie-goers?

Example of a Sorcerer:

Example of a philosopher:

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    I've never read or seen Harry Potter, but it seems like it's just a marketing ploy for American audiences. "Sorcerer's Stone" sounds fun and whimsical, like a Disney movie. "Philosopher's Stone" sounds like it could be boring and pretentious, like a lecture. Consider the following examples. Which would appeal more to young readers/movie-goers?

Example of a Sorcerer:

Example of a philosopher:

Yep. Sorcerer brought forth images of magic while philospher, uh, what? I mean, it's all marketing and if it meant a few million more in sales than why not. The book eventually sold itself any way, but they didn't know how massive it would be.

But the real reason that Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, published 20 years ago Monday, took on more of a Mickey Mouse vibe across the pond had everything to do with marketing. Simply put, J.K. Rowling’s U.S. publisher didn’t think the first “Harry Potter” book sounded magical enough with her original U.K. title ― even though it references the stuff of actual legend.

“Levine noted that he needed a title that said ‘magic’ more overtly to American readers,” Errington writes.

“He [Levine] continued, ‘I certainly did not mind Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone but I can see, if you forget now what happened after, ... why a book that is titled Philosopher’s Stone might seem more arcane or something. So the title that I had suggested to me and which I then turned to Jo was Harry Potter and the School of Magic. Jo very thoughtfully said, No ― that doesn’t feel right to me ... there are objects that I would like. What if we called it the Sorcerer’s Stone?’”

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:

Sure it's not out of the realm of possibility that Trump can run and win in 2024...because anything's freaking possible at this point. But if I was the GOP, I wouldn't be banking on that. I'd want to build new candidates (something that both parties have failed to do in my opinion). Trump barely won in 2016, and in 2020, he lost and the GOP lost their congressional majority. So what was the benefit of Trump anyway? I guess he appointed a lot of conservatives to judicial positions. But in the long run, it seems he'll hurt them more than he's helped them. 
    I can see a scenario where Trump wins in 24 because republicans at the end of the day  will vote for anyone that isn’t a dem. That and depending on how the rest of Biden’s term goes could spell a disaster, with Joe Manchin and Sinema blocking all progress.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    I would think, more simplistically, "sorcerer" implies a violent angle, where "philosopher" does not. they know the demographic. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    When a picture of a hot dog can completely derail the coronavirus thread and “Bennifer” is the big story of the day here in the good old USA, no need for apologies. 
  • Options
    When a picture of a hot dog can completely derail the coronavirus thread and “Bennifer” is the big story of the day here in the good old USA, no need for apologies. 
    Hot dogs are good.
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    mrussel1 said:
    Hot dogs are good.
    Only if you’re high  =) how’s your reading going 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hot dogs are good.
    Only if you’re high  =) how’s your reading going 
    Struggling. I'm too high....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    mrussel1 said:
    Of course Cheney's replacement (Stefanik) is barely a Republican from a policy standpoint.  The only reason she's being put up is 1. she's a woman and 2. She supported the Trump lies, so Trump likes her.  It's yet more direct evidence that a set of principles is irrelevant to the party today.  It's only fealty.  
    I was trying to remember why I used to have a decent opinion of her and came across some stuff yesterday.  At one point she was very vocal about tRump saying inappropriate shit.  Then at some point she fell in line.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Damn those windmills! DAMN THEM!

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    See the source image
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    See the source image

I'm easily amused.  That kept me entertained for a good two minutes.  :lol:

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    meh, he won't go to prison unless it's something related to the presidency. much like michael cohen, it would more likely be his accountants and trump would be shielded from knowledge of any nefariousness. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    How difficult would it have been to just say no if that's the truth?

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Watch the ball of yarn as it rolls across the floor toward the stairs, watch it now as it gains momentum.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/desk
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Watch the ball of yarn as it rolls across the floor toward the stairs, watch it now as it gains momentum.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/desk

will never give that man a click
This discussion has been closed.