Braveheart
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    So many better -- and factual -- films on the horrors of the Holocaust that don't pander to ignoramuses.
    I think that's harsh.  There are some liberties, but it's generally true.  It's very important and valuable to bring critical historical events to the mainstream so they are remembered and hopefully not repeated.  If that means glossing some parts up to make them more interesting to an audience that would generally hate Ken Burns work,  so be it. 
    Also, as noted before, the most developed character in the film is Amon Goeth; that's a fucking problem.
    I'm not sure he was more developed than Schindler himself,  but I also don't understand why that's a problem.  The antagonist is often well developed. 

Regarding your other point, reading Goldhagen may be the most accurate portrayal of Nazi Germany but it's also going to put 98% of people to sleep. That wasn't Spielbergs purpose. 

Also Genocide was a documentary.  They serve different purposes.
    Yes, we’ve established that Spielberg’s purpose is to pander to ignoramuses; others serve the truth. 
    That's ridiculously judgmental.  Let me give you another example.  I tried to get my wife to read the wonderful Margaret George book about Henry VIII because I find him fascinating and critical to western history.  She read like a chapter and said.. this sucks.  So instead we watched the Tudors (Showtime series) which is inaccurate in all sorts of minor and immaterial ways, but generally a solid depiction of the adult life of Henry.  She loved it. Now she has a better understanding of Henry, the split with Rome, the Reformation, etc.  You may think she's an ignoramus, but she also graduated Summa cum laude from the University of Richmond school of business and a CPA.  She's not stupid, she just isn't into history like I am.  So movies and shows that bring history to life for people and allows them to have some basic understanding of important events are very important.  No one's doing a dissertation of German work camps on the Eastern Front and citing Spielberg.  I used to get agitated about pop history, but now I see the value in it, so long as the message and direction are right. 
    Yes, the GOP sees the value in continuing to teach glossed-over history to our children as well so long as the message and direction are right.
    Who the hell is talking about children? Or the Gop for that matter,
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Schindler's List
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    So many better -- and factual -- films on the horrors of the Holocaust that don't pander to ignoramuses.
    I think that's harsh.  There are some liberties, but it's generally true.  It's very important and valuable to bring critical historical events to the mainstream so they are remembered and hopefully not repeated.  If that means glossing some parts up to make them more interesting to an audience that would generally hate Ken Burns work,  so be it. 
    Also, as noted before, the most developed character in the film is Amon Goeth; that's a fucking problem.
    I'm not sure he was more developed than Schindler himself,  but I also don't understand why that's a problem.  The antagonist is often well developed. 

Regarding your other point, reading Goldhagen may be the most accurate portrayal of Nazi Germany but it's also going to put 98% of people to sleep. That wasn't Spielbergs purpose. 

Yes, we’ve established that Spielberg’s purpose is to pander to ignoramuses; others serve the truth. 
    That's ridiculously judgmental.  Let me give you another example.  I tried to get my wife to read the wonderful Margaret George book about Henry VIII because I find him fascinating and critical to western history.  She read like a chapter and said.. this sucks.  So instead we watched the Tudors (Showtime series) which is inaccurate in all sorts of minor and immaterial ways, but generally a solid depiction of the adult life of Henry.  She loved it. Now she has a better understanding of Henry, the split with Rome, the Reformation, etc.  You may think she's an ignoramus, but she also graduated Summa cum laude from the University of Richmond school of business and a CPA.  She's not stupid, she just isn't into history like I am.  So movies and shows that bring history to life for people and allows them to have some basic understanding of important events are very important.  No one's doing a dissertation of German work camps on the Eastern Front and citing Spielberg.  I used to get agitated about pop history, but now I see the value in it, so long as the message and direction are right. 
    Yes, the GOP sees the value in continuing to teach glossed-over history to our children as well so long as the message and direction are right.
    Unforgiven, motherfuckers!!!

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Schindler's List
    :lol:.    
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Braveheart
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

I love the unforgiven
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    The Silence of the Lambs
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

I love the unforgiven
    Said no one ever.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Schindler's List
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

I love the unforgiven
    Said no one ever.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    Braveheart
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

I love the unforgiven
    Said no one ever.  
    Action packed and raucous right from the opening credits.  Crazy good. 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Braveheart
    I just can't really get behind something that features Mel Gibson anymore.  Excellent movie, too bad the star is a humongous douche bag.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The Silence of the Lambs
    Going with the two that have held up best over the years.  SOTL is a great movie, but it *is* more dated than the other two as far as cinematography, acting, etc.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Braveheart
    Going with the two that have held up best over the years.  SOTL is a great movie, but it *is* more dated than the other two as far as cinematography, acting, etc.
    Reasonable way to approach this. 
    The two movies from the 90s that have held up the best are Goodfellas and Shawshank and the academy in their infinite wisdom selected inferior, forgettable movies as best picture instead. Would we expect anything less? 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Braveheart has been eliminated in Round 4