POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 4

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited May 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
With the Oscars and other award shows over for the year, I figured a movie based 'Weakest Link' would be a fun thing. Since we are here in this forum for a 90s based band, I decided we could choose the BEST FILM for all the BEST PICTURE WINNERS of the 1990s.

Here we continue with Round 4 to determine the BEST OSCAR WINNING BEST PICTURE OF THE 1990S.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the one (1) movie with the most votes. We will then move to the finals.

Complete list of Best Picture Oscar Winners of the 1990s
1990, Dances with Wolves - Eliminated Round 2
1991, The Silence of the Lambs
1992, Unforgiven - Eliminated Round 3
1993, Schindler's List
1994, Forrest Gump - Eliminated Round 3
1995, Braveheart
1996, The English Patient - Eliminated Round 1
1997, Titanic - Eliminated Round 1
1998, Shakespeare in Love - Eliminated Round 1
1999, American Beauty - Eliminated Round 2

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 4 32 votes

The Silence of the Lambs
18%
mcgruff10MayDay10jwhjr17HesCalledDyerbrianluxtempo_n_groove 6 votes
Schindler's List
25%
Ledbetterman10JimmyVerebusdankindJohnny AbruzzoBLACK35F Me In The BrainSmallestOceans 8 votes
Braveheart
56%
hedonistdarwinstheoryPoncierThorns2010markymark550Spiritual_ChaosmickeyrattbergsGlowGirlGern BlanstenAsterisk on the StreeteeriepadaveHobbesmrussel1oftenreading1ThoughtKnownMatts3221Glorified KC 18 votes

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    The Silence of the Lambs
    It's MY ISLAND...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Schindler's List
    You are a bunch of savages!  :lol:   
    This should be down to Lambs and Unforgiven, imo.

Schindler's Fist was too much to view more than 1x. 
    Watched the other two many times and Lambs is by far the superior film, to me. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Schindler's List
    Never let Ten Clubbers choose the movie or the setlist. Write that down. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Braveheart
    Tossing in my vote for Braveheart, despite having lived within spitting distance of the Wallace Monument near Stirling for four years.

(The Scots still shout "remember Culloden" when drinking :lol: )
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Braveheart
    Easy vote...but I liked the movie
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    The Silence of the Lambs
    They say cannibals find thumbs to be a delicacy.   I wouldn't know, don't wanna know!  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Braveheart
    As long as Braveheart doesn't win, fine. It's not even top 10 of half the decade.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Schindler's List
    So many better -- and factual -- films on the horrors of the Holocaust that don't pander to ignoramuses.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Braveheart
    I loved the scene in Schindler where new Oskar holds sway in the nightclub. 

Never saw Braveheart. Maybe that’d sway me?

(wasn’t Buffalo Bill into wearing vs. eating?)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Schindler's List
    hedonist said:

Yes he was...but Lector liked to eat some liver and sweetbreads
    The Silence of the Lambs
    hedonist said:

I thought it was fava beans?
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Braveheart
    hedonist said:

Along with a nice Chianti. 
    The Silence of the Lambs
    hedonist said:

A nice chianti!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Braveheart
    hedonist said:

A nice chianti!
    I wonder if he put ice in it? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    The Silence of the Lambs
    hedonist said:

A nice chianti!
    I wonder if he put ice in it? 
    Only if their name is McGruff...
    Braveheart
    hedonist said:

Reminds me I need to get into Hannibal again. 
    Schindler's List
    hedonist said:

Same guy, different lines/victims.  He ate another's sweetbreads.  If I am not mistaken in one of the books (perhaps Hannibal?) he describes the parts he likes to eat most and believe he mentions these.

But, yeah, in that one line he mentions fava beans.  I was talking human parts...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,430
    Braveheart
    the show was far more sinister in my view than what was inferred and shown in silence
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The Silence of the Lambs
    No ice tonight my friends!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Braveheart
    mickeyrat said:
    the show was far more sinister in my view than what was inferred and shown in silence
    Madds is so badass in that role.

He’s just badass, really. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,604
    Braveheart
    dankind said:
    So many better -- and factual -- films on the horrors of the Holocaust that don't pander to ignoramuses.
    I think that's harsh.  There are some liberties, but it's generally true.  It's very important and valuable to bring critical historical events to the mainstream so they are remembered and hopefully not repeated.  If that means glossing some parts up to make them more interesting to an audience that would generally hate Ken Burns work,  so be it. 
    Braveheart
    And there's no historical value to Braveheart.  Just a rabble.
    edited May 2021
    The Silence of the Lambs
    dankind said:
    I taught The Holocaust for many years; which films do you feel are better and more factual?
    what wasn’t factual in Schlinder s List?

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    edited May 2021
    Schindler's List
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    I taught The Holocaust for many years; which films do you feel are better and more factual?

Shoah is the first thing that comes to mind. Also, Genocide. And the relevant films of Marcel Ophüls. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Schindler's List
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    I think that's harsh.  There are some liberties, but it's generally true.  It's very important and valuable to bring critical historical events to the mainstream so they are remembered and hopefully not repeated.  If that means glossing some parts up to make them more interesting to an audience that would generally hate Ken Burns work,  so be it. 
    Also, as noted before, the most developed character in the film is Amon Goeth; that's a fucking problem.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The Silence of the Lambs
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:

Shoah is the first thing that comes to mind. Also, Genocide. And the relevant films of Marcel Ophüls. 
    Shoah is a documentary, Apples to oranges comparison?  I mean I showed “The Last Days” for years and would never compare it to Schindler s List.  
    Braveheart
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Also, as noted before, the most developed character in the film is Amon Goeth; that's a fucking problem.
    I'm not sure he was more developed than Schindler himself,  but I also don't understand why that's a problem.  The antagonist is often well developed. 

Regarding your other point, reading Goldhagen may be the most accurate portrayal of Nazi Germany but it's also going to put 98% of people to sleep. That wasn't Spielbergs purpose. 

Also Genocide was a documentary.  They serve different purposes.
    Schindler's List
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    I'm not sure he was more developed than Schindler himself,  but I also don't understand why that's a problem.  The antagonist is often well developed. 

Regarding your other point, reading Goldhagen may be the most accurate portrayal of Nazi Germany but it's also going to put 98% of people to sleep. That wasn't Spielbergs purpose. 

Yes, we’ve established that Spielberg’s purpose is to pander to ignoramuses; others serve the truth. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Braveheart
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Yes, we’ve established that Spielberg’s purpose is to pander to ignoramuses; others serve the truth. 
    That's ridiculously judgmental.  Let me give you another example.  I tried to get my wife to read the wonderful Margaret George book about Henry VIII because I find him fascinating and critical to western history.  She read like a chapter and said.. this sucks.  So instead we watched the Tudors (Showtime series) which is inaccurate in all sorts of minor and immaterial ways, but generally a solid depiction of the adult life of Henry.  She loved it. Now she has a better understanding of Henry, the split with Rome, the Reformation, etc.  You may think she's an ignoramus, but she also graduated Summa cum laude from the University of Richmond school of business and a CPA.  She's not stupid, she just isn't into history like I am.  So movies and shows that bring history to life for people and allows them to have some basic understanding of important events are very important.  No one's doing a dissertation of German work camps on the Eastern Front and citing Spielberg.  I used to get agitated about pop history, but now I see the value in it, so long as the message and direction are right. 
    Schindler's List
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

That's ridiculously judgmental.  Let me give you another example.  I tried to get my wife to read the wonderful Margaret George book about Henry VIII because I find him fascinating and critical to western history.  She read like a chapter and said.. this sucks.  So instead we watched the Tudors (Showtime series) which is inaccurate in all sorts of minor and immaterial ways, but generally a solid depiction of the adult life of Henry.  She loved it. Now she has a better understanding of Henry, the split with Rome, the Reformation, etc.  You may think she's an ignoramus, but she also graduated Summa cum laude from the University of Richmond school of business and a CPA.  She's not stupid, she just isn't into history like I am.  So movies and shows that bring history to life for people and allows them to have some basic understanding of important events are very important.  No one's doing a dissertation of German work camps on the Eastern Front and citing Spielberg.  I used to get agitated about pop history, but now I see the value in it, so long as the message and direction are right. 
    Yes, the GOP sees the value in continuing to teach glossed-over history to our children as well so long as the message and direction are right.
    I SAW PEARL JAM