The video game thread.

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    CROJAM95 said:
    Got the show 21 on Xbox series x Tuesday

1st time playing, it’s challenging for sure

is there a Season mode, where you just play every game? I dabbled a little(busy with work) 

will play some this weekend 
    I've never played it, but I assume that's what Franchise mode is. 

Another mode I'd recommend if you just want to play games against the computer is Conquest. It's in Dimond Dynasty,  You use your DD team to play 3-inning games, and try to take over a map and "earn fans." If you're gonna try it, I'd check out a youtube tutorial about how to go about playing the maps, because it can be tedious if you don't know that you don't have to play EVERY game. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Still haven't had a chance to play yet, but looking forward to playing it this weekend!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,017
    CROJAM95 said:
    Got the show 21 on Xbox series x Tuesday

1st time playing, it’s challenging for sure

is there a Season mode, where you just play every game? I dabbled a little(busy with work) 

will play some this weekend 
    I've never played it, but I assume that's what Franchise mode is. 

Another mode I'd recommend if you just want to play games against the computer is Conquest. It's in Dimond Dynasty,  You use your DD team to play 3-inning games, and try to take over a map and "earn fans." If you're gonna try it, I'd check out a youtube tutorial about how to go about playing the maps, because it can be tedious if you don't know that you don't have to play EVERY game. 
    Ok cool...ive been in the dark with Baseball games for a decade now. I tried RBI Baseball a few years ago, it was cheesy, for kids

Looking forward to diving into this one
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Diamond Dynasty has some cool modes for sure.  The card collecting thing can take you off the beaten path indefinitely, but its fun.

MayDay10 said:
    Am I the only dipshit that likes The Show because they just play career mode and pretends to be a GM and plays the occasional game here and there?
    Have you ever tried OOTP>?
    I have not, definitely curious about it though. I like playing a game here and there because it's a great game - I like to download the latest OS full rosters and go from there. I used to play a lot more online and do the $25, $50 leagues but life is just too busy to make time for that anymore. And ohhhh god the stress.
    Its probably the most immersive sports GM game out there.  You dont play though, but you can manage your team or watch.  The animations are a bit crude for 2021, but for a purely sim game I think they are really good.  Lots of great youtube videos on it
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Picked up Returnal for PS5 on Friday , played a few hours this weekend. Not sure if it is for me or not. I don't mind the difficult level but playing for 90 mins to die and lose everything and start over is getting a little old.

That said it does look amazing and the controls are really tight. I have never played a "rouge like" game before I should have googled that before I purchased maybe.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Matts3221 said:

Picked up Returnal for PS5 on Friday , played a few hours this weekend. Not sure if it is for me or not. I don't mind the difficult level but playing for 90 mins to die and lose everything and start over is getting a little old.

That said it does look amazing and the controls are really tight. I have never played a "rouge like" game before I should have googled that before I purchased maybe.

If I had a PS5, I would probably have bought this game.  But I'm kind of like you, a little iffy on this genre.  This is more suited for 14 year old Jason P. 

Dark Souls is the rare exception. 
    The Show 21 servers are still a poop show.  There are two times in the day when I could possibly squeeze a game in ... early in mornings or late in evenings.  The servers crash in the evenings and they shut them down for server maintenance in the mornings. 

Uff da.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Been play Road to the Show here and there.  I'm not liking the new format.  I def prefer the old style.
    Jason P said:
    Matts3221 said:

If I had a PS5, I would probably have bought this game.  But I'm kind of like you, a little iffy on this genre.  This is more suited for 14 year old Jason P. 

So still not sold on it yet but after hours I got an upgrade that I can actual keep for newer runs that opens up new areas with lots of health. I am slowly being sold on it , again beautiful game , controls are tight.

If my wife was not a teacher and had stuff to grade at night or if we had kids this would be a game that I would never be able to play.

STARFIELD

Comes out in September 22, must likely in true buggy bethesda form ... playable version coming sometime early 2023

They are describing it as "Skyrim in Space"

hmmmmm ...

Starfield will be exclusive to Xbox and PC ... so that answers the $7.5 billion dollar question left when Microsoft acquired Bethesda. 
    That pisses me off.  Im not a PS loyalist or anything, but I wont go out of my way at all to buy this microsoft shit now
    MayDay10 said:
    That pisses me off.  Im not a PS loyalist or anything, but I wont go out of my way at all to buy this microsoft shit now

You may not need to buy any Microsoft stuff by the time the game comes out next year ... Microsoft is working to integrate Xbox into TV's, much like Netflix has done, thus games will stream instead of playing through a console .... I think we are a few years off, but it won't be long before it works. 

The Microsoft strategy is to get people on Gamepass and that is why they spent almost twice what Disney paid for the entire Star Wars franchise for Bethesda.  I'm sure they would like to sell gaming systems, but they will be happy to get people on Gamepass even if it through a phone app.

FYI - there is a Bethesda game called Deathloop, that is coming out exclusive to PS5, even though Microsoft owns them ... they were not obligated to honor previous contracts, but they did.  So kinda strange that Microsoft is shutting out their own customer base, but that is the path they choose.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    MayDay10 said:
    I get it, but if this pisses you off you probably should have already been pissed off as this has been (annoyingly) going on forever.
    edited June 2021
    Rygar said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I get it, but if this pisses you off you probably should have already been pissed off as this has been (annoyingly) going on forever.
    I know...  its annoying, but Bethesda games are typically my favorite whether its Fallout or Skyrim.  Would have tried out Starfall.

The problem is, I have nothing XBox at this point.  I had a 360, very late picked up a ps3 and liked it a little better.  Ended up pre-ordering a PS4.  generally satisfied with it (but not over the moon).  At this point though with purchases and such, I am pretty firmly planted in Sony land.  

Im still a free agent with this gen so to speak.  This makes me not want to go with the 1X or whatever its called.  I was considering it due to the backwards compatibility that Sony refuses to allow/build for 

I really do so little gaming at this point its pretty moot and comes down to my 8 year old and what he likes/wants I guess.   The one thing that could have gotten me playing is a quality Bethesda release.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    MayDay10 said:
    Rygar said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I know...  its annoying, but Bethesda games are typically my favorite whether its Fallout or Skyrim.  Would have tried out Starfall.

The problem is, I have nothing XBox at this point.  I had a 360, very late picked up a ps3 and liked it a little better.  Ended up pre-ordering a PS4.  generally satisfied with it (but not over the moon).  At this point though with purchases and such, I am pretty firmly planted in Sony land.  

Im still a free agent with this gen so to speak.  This makes me not want to go with the 1X or whatever its called.  I was considering it due to the backwards compatibility that Sony refuses to allow/build for 

I really do so little gaming at this point its pretty moot and comes down to my 8 year old and what he likes/wants I guess.   The one thing that could have gotten me playing is a quality Bethesda release.
    I hear you.  I've been Xbox for the last two generations, and felt slighted by Sony during my PS3 ownership so I haven't paid all that much attention to what's going on over there. 
    On the other hand, MS has been criticized for years about poor exclusives so they went big haha
    Jason P said:
    Matts3221 said:

Alright after a month and a half and roughly 93 hours I fully beat Returnal and went back for the secret ending and got that. I have to say this is a pretty amazing game. The hardest I have played in 20 years. That said the controls are so tight its nothing you cannot get down with hard work.

Amazing graphics , The Bio Domes are beautiful and I hope Nintendo is paying attention and just is rebuilding Metroid Prime 4 to look like this game.

Never felt more accomplished with beating the boss's in this video game then any other.  , dying after a 2 hour run would crush me but I never wanted to put it down.

Even if you never will play it just look up Returnal 3rd Boss and watch the full boss fight video. The Nemesis Boss was pay far the hardest and I yelled when I finally beat that one.

Also anyone else pumped for Metriod Dread shown at the Nintendo direct? Looks great!!!

Also one month until Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword HD Remake - I loved this game and don't think it got enough love the first time around.

edited June 2021
    Microsoft didn't really have any "system sellers" on the last gen.  Yeah there was Forza and Halo, but neither franchise had really must-have releases during last gen.  I bought a xbox pro model a few years back, but still primarily played PS4 even though Xbox had more power.

Bethesda is a different story.  I play the hell out of Skyrim and Fallout.  Along with The Show, that is about all I play when I get a chance to play.  I would by a gaming system if it only played Bethesda game and that was it.

And there is always the PC route
    Jason P said:
    Microsoft didn't really have any "system sellers" on the last gen.  Yeah there was Forza and Halo, but neither franchise had really must-have releases during last gen.  I bought a xbox pro model a few years back, but still primarily played PS4 even though Xbox had more power.

Bethesda is a different story.  I play the hell out of Skyrim and Fallout.  Along with The Show, that is about all I play when I get a chance to play.  I would by a gaming system if it only played Bethesda game and that was it.

Yeah, if this game is good, I'll def check it out on PC.
    I have a gaming PC but barely even use it, except for Flight Sim 2020.
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, if this game is good, I'll def check it out on PC.
    I have a gaming PC but barely even use it, except for Flight Sim 2020.

If they keep pumping these PS5's and Series X out at the current snail's pace, most everyone may be playing on PC in 2022, regardless of which system they would prefer to have  =):|
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Matts3221 said:

Also anyone else pumped for Metriod Dread shown at the Nintendo direct? Looks great!!!

Also one month until Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword HD Remake - I loved this game and don't think it got enough love the first time around.

Super excited for Dread! I've been yearning for another 2D Metroid for a long time!
    Matts3221 said:

Super excited for Dread! I've been yearning for another 2D Metroid for a long time!

babies have been born and graduated high school since the last 2D Metroid. 

Decided to get Mass Effect Legendary Edition even though I'm not a huge fan of playing games I've already gone thru ... but it has been 14 years (!) since I played that one ... and man am I glad I did.  This is one of the greatest games ever.  If you like science fiction, RPG's, 3rd person shooters, political intrigue and lore that is as deep the Game of Thrones book series, you should pick this game up.

It was like opening a favorite book from years past.  The graphical improvements don't put it far behind current games, but it was so far ahead of the curve when it came out.

It has Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 ... I was planning on skipping right to Mass Effect 2 because I doubted Mass Effect 1 could hold up even with improvements ... I'm glad I was absolutely wrong as I'm having a blast.  A great game to pick up if you are looking for something to play (or replay) this summer.
  • Do you like video games?

If so, which ones? And why?
    I've always been a Nintendo girl at heart and the Legend Of Zelda games are my faves.  They're just charming to play and the storyline and music really adds to the gaming experience.  However, I've not had a chance to play much Nintendo in a few years as the Xbox has taken precedence so I've been playing Call of Duty on that  :)
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14

Xbox sent me a message that X Cloud gaming is now available for Game Pass subscribers so I decided to test it out yesterday.  I ran it on a 4 year old Lenovo Yoga laptop with no dedicated video graphics card … a non-gaming PC that could barely run simplistic games from 10 years ago.  Internet speed was around 90 mbps.

You go to xbox.com/play and sign in.  You have to use MS Edge or Chrome browsers.  I chose Edge because Chrome is pretty resource intensive for a web browser.  I connected an Xbox controller to my PC thru Bluetooth which took less then a minute to figure out.

Signing in was simple and all of the games were there to choose.  I don’t think the entire Game Pass library is available, but there is more then enough games to keep you busy.  The first game I tested was Fallout 76.  I was pretty surprised that the game loaded up in less then 30 seconds … and that I could also play it!  This game is not installed on my PC as there is no way in hell it could even get past the loading screen if I had it installed.  It had all my progress carried over from playing it on my Xbox.  Not as buttery smooth as my Series X, but it worked fairly well. 

The second game I tried was F1 2019.  Again the game loaded up fast and carried my progress over.  I ran a lap around the China F1 track and it looked great and ran great … until a little stutter around a corner put me in a wall.  I did notice a little lag or stutter in Fallout 76, which was no big deal, but might make racing games at high speeds not fun to play.

Then I tested out MLB the Show 21.  It is a good thing my internet at work sucks are I would be tempted by this!  Again fired right up and ran surprisingly well and carried my progress over, although I did need to adjust my timing for input lag for hitting and pitching. 

Then I tested out a game that came out a week ago, The Ascent.  I had not played this before.  Game loaded and I was playing in a few minutes.

So pretty amazing that this tech is now available and working.  It is still in Beta, but works much better then I anticipated.   I need to get to a place with faster internet to see if that helps improve things as well.

The days of buying high end PC gaming rigs may be coming to an end sooner than anticipated.

Jason P said:

Xbox sent me a message that X Cloud gaming is now available for Game Pass subscribers so I decided to test it out yesterday.  I ran it on a 4 year old Lenovo Yoga laptop with no dedicated video graphics card … a non-gaming PC that could barely run simplistic games from 10 years ago.  Internet speed was around 90 mbps.

You go to xbox.com/play and sign in.  You have to use MS Edge or Chrome browsers.  I chose Edge because Chrome is pretty resource intensive for a web browser.  I connected an Xbox controller to my PC thru Bluetooth which took less then a minute to figure out.

Signing in was simple and all of the games were there to choose.  I don’t think the entire Game Pass library is available, but there is more then enough games to keep you busy.  The first game I tested was Fallout 76.  I was pretty surprised that the game loaded up in less then 30 seconds … and that I could also play it!  This game is not installed on my PC as there is no way in hell it could even get past the loading screen if I had it installed.  It had all my progress carried over from playing it on my Xbox.  Not as buttery smooth as my Series X, but it worked fairly well. 

The second game I tried was F1 2019.  Again the game loaded up fast and carried my progress over.  I ran a lap around the China F1 track and it looked great and ran great … until a little stutter around a corner put me in a wall.  I did notice a little lag or stutter in Fallout 76, which was no big deal, but might make racing games at high speeds not fun to play.

Then I tested out MLB the Show 21.  It is a good thing my internet at work sucks are I would be tempted by this!  Again fired right up and ran surprisingly well and carried my progress over, although I did need to adjust my timing for input lag for hitting and pitching. 

Then I tested out a game that came out a week ago, The Ascent.  I had not played this before.  Game loaded and I was playing in a few minutes.

So pretty amazing that this tech is now available and working.  It is still in Beta, but works much better then I anticipated.   I need to get to a place with faster internet to see if that helps improve things as well.

The days of buying high end PC gaming rigs may be coming to an end sooner than anticipated.

That's really cool!
    Crazy to think that all you need is a screen and an internet connection!
    Flight Sim 2020 for Series X is the Chill Game of the Year.  Picked up a Thrustmaster HOTAS One flight stick for $90 and it is a worthy purchase if you intend to play this game.  For someone like me that used to spend a lot of time on Google Earth, this is pretty amazing.  Real world map so you can fly over your uncle's house in parts unknown.   I've flown in Yosemite, under the Mackinaw bridge, NYC, Seattle, San Diego coast, and a ton of places I lived and grew up in and it is incredibly realistic.  And I'm just learning the entry Cesna 152 and having a blast. 

Series X even supports keyboard ... mouse support isn't working properly yet.   Once mouse support is hopefully figured out, it will make the game ideal for playing with a HOTAS stick ... right now I need to use the xbox controller in tandem for looking around the cockpit making instrument adjustments and moving cameras which isn't ideal, but I can make due.  The mouse works for a little bit, but then cuts out. 

I just open the world map and pick a spot, load Spotify in the background and go on a road air trip.

Ohhh, and a Top Gun expansion is coming this fall.  Oh yeah!

(note: i think they totally wiffed on that high five attempt) :D