The Who

Comments

• ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Yeah the stones actually withheld the release of "rock and roll circus" because of the legendary scene stealing performance by The Who of "A Quick One".
    Good stuff.

Roger said that it wasn't released because Brian Jones was in very poor health when it was filmed.
  • who's next
    tommy
    quadrophenia
    live at leeds

these are basic staples.
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Hooligans
    The Kids Are Alright (soundtrack)
    Magic Bus
    Odds & Sods
    It's Hard

John Entwistle's
    Whistle Rhymes
    Rigor Mortis Sets In
    Too Late the Hero

Pete Townshend
    Rough Mix
    Who Came Next

Roger Daltrey
    Best Bits
    McVicar Soundtrack

Keith Moon
    Like a Rat Stuffed up a Pipe
    be philanthropic
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    ii44 wrote:
    Roger said that it wasn't released because Brian Jones was in very poor health when it was filmed.

Probably from partying all night.
    Very diplomatic of Roger but the Stones were
    wiped out by the time they performed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones_Rock_and_Roll_Circus
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    InHiding80 wrote:
    Start with - Who's Next

their best - Quadrophenia

their most underrated - The Who By Numbers

In this order u can't go wrong. The Who was the best band and will be the best band period
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • The VacantThe Vacant Posts: 271
    Get the mid-90's version of Who's Next (with the studio version of I Don't Even Know Myself) and Odds And Sodds (which collects a ton of the outtakes from the Who's Next era (Water, Naked Eye, Pure And Easy, Time Is Passing, Too Much of Anything, and an alternate take of Love Ain't For Keeping) and some other cool gems (Young Man Blues, Long Live Rock, Summertime Blues, Marry Anne With The Shaky Hand).
  • TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    InHiding80 wrote:
    Start with - Who's Next

their best - Quadrophenia

their most underrated - The Who By Numbers

This is a very smart man.

Definitely buy "Who's Next" first if you aren't big into The Who already. I would also recommend the deluxe edition of "Live at Leeds" as The Who are a completely different band live.

However, "Quadrophenia" in my opinion is the greatest album of all time, but it is pretty deep for someone who doesn't really know The Who well yet.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,652
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    I love this photo!
    ummagumming Pete Townshend of 39The Who39 tosses his guitar in mid-air as he  performs onstage at Atwood Stadium in Flint Mic  Rock music Townshend  Rock and roll

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,631

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

The Who39s Roger Daltrey Explains How Mic Swinging Trick Started
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    brianlux said:
    Damn this brings back memories love them for ever & Townsend might be my favorite song writer! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    brianlux said:
    Damn this brings back memories love them for ever & Townsend might be my favorite song writer! 

I hear you!  I find myself delving back into the who so many times over the years.  One of those bands for the ages!

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    They're the greatest band of all-time, as far as I'm concerned. I'd probably recommend starting with Who's Next - it's got the monster hits - and then moving on to Live at LeedsTommy and Quadrophenia, in that order. All that said: you really can't go wrong with many of their studio albums, and I include the two "new" ones in the mix. WHO, which came out in 2019, is phenomenal.

Another good place to start: The Kids Are Alright, the documentary. Arguably the greatest rock n' roll documentary of all-time.

I will forever be grateful this band came into my life when it did - age 14 - and flipped everything on its head.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,811
    edited August 2021
    NWOntario said:
    They're the greatest band of all-time, as far as I'm concerned. I'd probably recommend starting with Who's Next - it's got the monster hits - and then moving on to Live at LeedsTommy and Quadrophenia, in that order. All that said: you really can't go wrong with many of their studio albums, and I include the two "new" ones in the mix. WHO, which came out in 2019, is phenomenal.

Another good place to start: The Kids Are Alright, the documentary. Arguably the greatest rock n' roll documentary of all-time.

I will forever be grateful this band came into my life when it did - age 14 - and flipped everything on its head.
    You and I have very similar thoughts about The Who (as you can tell by my user name). I saw a midnight movie showing of Tommy when I was 15, and that was it for me. From then on, the Who became a major force in my life in terms of music. I remember camping out for tickets for over 24 hours when I was in high school (had to lie to my parents that I was spending the night at a friend's house). I had The Kids Are Alright on VHS. Probably watched it hundreds of times. One of my prize possessions is a PT signed Quadrophenia show ticket (from 1996) and a stage-used pick. I got to meet Pete that night (a story for another time). The Live at Leeds version of Magic Bus is probably one of my favorite songs ever. Anyway, I could go on an on, but you all get the gist. When I first heard Pearl Jam I felt very similar to when I saw the movie Tommy. Something sparked in me. This was before I knew how much EV was into the Who. I guess I felt that influence or something.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    NWOntario said:

And don't forget Who Sell Out!
    More music, more music, more music!

The Who Sell Out - The Who

• LB260405LB260405 Posts: 55
    Two hour podcast discussing the brilliant Quadrophenia. Do it.

https://musicrewind.podbean.com/
    Has anyone heard/read any news about the progress of Lifehouse? The last article I read said 2022 release. I haven't been this excited about an album in a very long time. Who's Next is a masterpiece. Putting it into a completed rock opera format? Bliss.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,418
    I first got into The Who in 1980 when I was 15.  I remember buying "The Kids Are Alright" soundtrack, and also seeing them 2x in L.A. that summer.  Pete also released "Empty Glass" that summer....what a great album.

I am surprised they are still touring.
    LB260405 said:
    Has anyone heard/read any news about the progress of Lifehouse? The last article I read said 2022 release. I haven't been this excited about an album in a very long time. Who's Next is a masterpiece. Putting it into a completed rock opera format? Bliss.

Everything I've read up to this point has said it's long dead in the water.  It would be fascinating to see it completed and released.  I would definitely be up for that!

• vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,436
    brianlux said:
    LB260405 said:

Everything I've read up to this point has said it's long dead in the water.  It would be fascinating to see it completed and released.  I would definitely be up for that!
    Actually I read a couple months back that the 50th anniversary of Who's Next was getting a Deluxe Edition but, it never said anything about it being restructured for Lifehouse. PT did say covid is what caused all the delay but, if anything it should've gave them more free time to finish it. By the time or if it actually gets finished it will be the 52nd Anniversary but, that's fine by me cause if it isn't the best pure rock album ever made it's in the top 10. And yet Quadrophenia will always be my favorite album. I could talk all day about this band cause in my world they are absolutely the Greatest band of all time and absolutely untouchable live!!
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

Damn. I swear I read that there were intentions of making a proper version for the 50th anniversary. I also believe they were working on a graphic novel. I'm not sure if that got scrapped, as well, or not. Either way, I would love to get another rock opera from The Who at some point. Especially one that includes the Who's Next tracks.
    brianlux said:
    NWOntario said:

Just another Masterpiece!
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

edited July 2022
    If I had to rank the albums it would look like this(I'm going to include LAL)...

Quadrophenia- 5/5= Masterpiece 
    Who's Next- 5/5= Masterpiece 
    The Who Sell Out- 5/5= Masterpiece 
    Live at Leeds- 5/5= Masterpiece 
    Tommy- 4.5/5= Great Album
    My Generation- 4.5/5= Great Album
    The Who By Numbers- 4/5= Between VG & Great
    A Quick One- 3.5/5=Very Good Album
    Who Are You- 3.5/5=Very Good Album
    Who- 3.5/5= Very Good Album
    It's Hard- 3/5= Good Album
    Face Dances- 3/5= Good Album
    Endless Wire- 3/5= Good Album

My God what a fucking great band 😎
    Post edited by vito on
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

vito said:
    brianlux said:
    NWOntario said:

Just today, I was talking to my wife about all this stuff I have to deal with over the next couple of weeks and I said, "Well, at least after the first week of August it will be smooth sailing for a while."
    She repeated, "Smooth sailing."
    And I started to sing,
    "It's smooooth sailing
    With the highly successful sounds
    Of wonderful,
    Radio,
    Londoooooooooon!"  
    :lol:

brianlux said:
    vito said:
    brianlux said:
    NWOntario said:

Just today, I was talking to my wife about all this stuff I have to deal with over the next couple of weeks and I said, "Well, at least after the first week of August it will be smooth sailing for a while."
    She repeated, "Smooth sailing."
    And I started to sing,
    "It's smooooth sailing
    With the highly successful sounds
    Of wonderful,
    Radio,
    Londoooooooooon!"  
    :lol:
    Brilliant or the Speak easy, drink easy, pull easy Rotosound strings jingle before Pete crushes the ICSFM intro.
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008

Just the other day, I pulled this book Moon, The Life and Death of a Rock Legend by Tony Fletcher off the shelf and dove into it.  This is one big fat book- with intro, very close to 600 pages.  The writing is excellent and I could tell just from the introduction this would be a fine read.  Fletcher really gave this book his everything.  The only problem is that I obviously know how the story ends.  Even just 70 pages into the book, I'm finding my self both fascinated by the colorful character the Keith Moon was, and yet also desperately wanting to jump into a time machine and try to make my way back stage at that show in '68 and tell Keith, "Dude, it's OK!  We see you!  We think you're great!  We love you!  You don't have to abuse yourself for the attention and accolades.   You are already awesome!"  
    Silly to think that, of course.  But Moon was so alluring, so funny, beguiling, full of life and energy.  Fletcher refers to him as a comet or shooting star, and I get that sometimes creative people's lives go that way.  But I'm yet again struggling with this one.  And there's a good 530 pages to go.
    Oh, but the stories.  The stories!  Fantastic.
    Moon The Life and Death of a Rock Legend by Tony Fletcher  Goodreads

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    https://www.facebook.com/robyn.baldwin.33/videos/595486555567806/

Let me know if you can watch this. At this past weekend’s Watchmen show, they invited their original bassist up to play a few songs, one of them being The Who’s Substitute, which I don’t know if they’ve ever done live before. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

https://www.facebook.com/robyn.baldwin.33/videos/595486555567806/

Let me know if you can watch this. At this past weekend’s Watchmen show, they invited their original bassist up to play a few songs, one of them being The Who’s Substitute, which I don’t know if they’ve ever done live before. 

No, sorry, it says "not available". 

I'm about 1/4 into this tome now and Keith has just met Beach Boys' touring fill-in in for Brian Wilson, Bruce Johnston, and takes him to a swank hotel to meet and hang out with John Lennon and Paul McCartney (which, for obvious reasons, blows Johnston's mind!).  AS they are playing cards and drinking, Johnston pulls out and plays an advance copy of Pet Sounds, which none of the other have ever heard, and proceeds to blow the minds of the two Beatles.  Moon pretended to like the album, but he actually doesn't.  He was a surf music fanatic and thought the new LP was:
     "...one big drag. I don't get a thing out of what Wilson's doing now. He's cut the pop song up into one big clinical thing.  It's all bits of tape stuck together.  None of it really means anything."
    The Beatles, on the other hand, were so impressed with the record that it inspired a final song, "Here There and Everywhere", for Revolver and later, McCartney declared Pet Sounds was his inspiration for making Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Great reading, this one!

edited August 2022
    Life is good😎

Btw Eddie your not the only one whose life was saved by this album🙏

Post edited by vito on