The Who

FatalFootstepsFatalFootsteps Posts: 46
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I was just looking for some advise on what "Who" ablums or songs to get?
Any favorites to recommend?
Things were different then. All is different now.
I tried to explain. Somehow.

Hamilton 05
Halifax 05
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167
    i dig this cassette

1. I Can't Explain
    2. The Kids Are Alright
    3. Happy Jack
    4. I Can See For Miles
    5. Pictures Of Lily
    6. My Generation
    7. The Seeker
    8. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
    9. Pinball Wizard
    10. A Legal Matter
    11. Boris The Spider
    12. The Magic Bus
    13. Substitute
    14. I'm A Boy
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    the who sell out
    tommy
    who's next
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I started with Who's Next about 15 years ago...other than Live at Leeds, I haven't moved on from there...but they are both awesome!
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • A Quick One While He's Away - my favorite.
  • given2fly10given2fly10 Posts: 485
    start with first album and go up to the recent one. get the who live at leeds deluxe edition and the who live at the royal albert hall.that concert as alota special guests like ed, noel from oasis and others. also get the dvd
    amazing journey: the story of the who
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,280
    Who's next has to be the ultimate Who album. But one of their comp releases might give you a better range of their evolution.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Who's Next, Quadrophenia, Tommy, Endless Wire, By Numbers, Live at Leeds

avoid Who Are You, Face Dances, and It's hard unless you find you really dig them.
  • GauchoBGauchoB Posts: 224
    Everything! Ok everything other than Face Dances. Quad is my favorite album of all time......just like Ed's. Id also check some of their DVD's. If you never got a chance to see the old Who rent or buy Live At the Isle of Wight 1970. Never a more powerful band in the world than the Who in 1970.
  • GauchoBGauchoB Posts: 224
    start with first album and go up to the recent one. get the who live at leeds deluxe edition and the who live at the royal albert hall.that concert as alota special guests like ed, noel from oasis and others. also get the dvd
    amazing journey: the story of the who
    Live At Leeds best live album of all time. Make you turn the volume up to 11!
    GauchoB wrote:
    Live At Leeds best live album of all time. Make you turn the volume up to 11!
    moony is crazy as always and the whole band is just amazing
    And he still gives his love, he just gives it away, The love he receives is the love that is saved, And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    The deluxe edition of "Who's Next."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    add me to "Who's Next" list ... simpliy fantastic.

you know any album with the cover of the boys pissing has got to be good, right?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002OX7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The first album, "The Who sings My Generation" is great ...

Search your local cable, if you ever see their "Isle of Whyte" live show on there ... tape it, fantastic!

Quadrophenia is a better album although Tommy makes for a better movie.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I can get why people say get everything or like tell you to get 5 albums, I mean I'd probably be the same if someone asked what Replacements cd to buy. Seeing as I sort of got into the Who recently I'll share how I did it. Started with a best of (don't kid yourself and find the ultimate collection, double cd, like 40 tracks. Then I grabbed Who's next, love both of them. I got The Who Sell out but didn't really care that much. However whoever it was that said to watch Amazing Journey is dead on a great fucking movie that makes them seem way cooler than you would have ever thought.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Live at Leeds is one of the , some might say the, greatest live albums of all time. The Deluxe edition , with songs like A Quick One , is definitely my choice also. Then Who's Next. Also, pick up the dvd of The Who at the Isle of White. From 1970. Moonie off the hook . Lots of Tommy plus Live at Leeds vintage Who. Last, I will always love The Who Sing My Generation. What a great first album.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • AzwethinkweizAzwethinkweiz Posts: 547
    QUADROPHENIA!

One of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Then get "Who's Next" and "Tommy".

"The Who By Numbers" is a great album too...quite underrated.
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    QUADROPHENIA!

agreed... and a quick one while he's away... all great who albums... amazing band in general.
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    However whoever it was that said to watch Amazing Journey is dead on a great fucking movie that makes them seem way cooler than you would have ever thought.
    i was very impressed with the amount of stuff that was on there. im not one of those fact people when it comes to bands, so i really learned alot bout the who. oh when they showed the recording of real good looking boy i was amazed at zak and how quickly he picked up on his faults when pete pointed them out.the who will always be my #1 band. tommy is best to listen to in a dark room with headphones on

no bed=no brian

coke sucks
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    The Best Band EVER!!.
    All the albums are great.
    Quadrophenia -#1 all time,absolutely phenomenal start to finish.
    Who's Next.
    Odds and Sods.

DVD
    Live at the Isle of Wight 1970--The Who at their peak.
    The Kids are Alright-This was made by a fan with The Who
    as "advisors".
    Amazing Journey.
    This band is pure genius.

Check out some of Townshend's solo efforts-
    Empty Glass
    all the Best Cowboys....
    White City
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Tommy and Quadrophenia
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I'd start someone off with 'Who's Next'. That is a classic WHO at their prime album with the Rock anthems, 'Baba O'Riley' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again'.
    Then, 'Quadrophenia'... which needs to be listened to from beginning to end to get the story.
    For the older hits, 'Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy'... and the classic, 'Tommy'... 'Live at Leeds' (look for the full concert CD).
    The rest are left for your tastes... older Mod stuff... or later rock stuff. I like 'Odds and Sods' because you get the full band version of 'Pure and Easy' and one of my favorites, 'Long live Rock'.
    Another one to look into... 'The Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus'. It pre-dates 'Tommy' and shows how and why the Who becames the greatest band in the world. Plus, you get The Dirty Mac superband.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'd start someone off with 'Who's Next'. That is a classic WHO at their prime album with the Rock anthems, 'Baba O'Riley' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again'.
    Then, 'Quadrophenia'... which needs to be listened to from beginning to end to get the story.
    For the older hits, 'Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy'... and the classic, 'Tommy'... 'Live at Leeds' (look for the full concert CD).
    The rest are left for your tastes... older Mod stuff... or later rock stuff. I like 'Odds and Sods' because you get the full band version of 'Pure and Easy' and one of my favorites, 'Long live Rock'.
    Another one to look into... 'The Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus'. It pre-dates 'Tommy' and shows how and why the Who becames the greatest band in the world. Plus, you get The Dirty Mac superband.

Yeah the stones actually withheld the release of "rock and roll circus" because of the legendary scene stealing performance by The Who of "A Quick One".
    Good stuff.

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Yeah the stones actually withheld the release of "rock and roll circus" because of the legendary scene stealing performance by The Who of "A Quick One".
    Good stuff.
    If you have the DVD... you can see that it is true. The absolute brilliance of The Who's potential is clear. 'Tommy' was getting the finishing touches put on it... and this 7 minute glimpse of the future is amazing to see in retrospect.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    If you have the DVD... you can see that it is true. The absolute brilliance of The Who's potential is clear. 'Tommy' was getting the finishing touches put on it... and this 7 minute glimpse of the future is amazing to see in retrospect.[/quote

Haha...Moonie pounding the skins as only he can with water spraying all over the place.

"Your all forgiven"...

• InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Start with - Who's Next

their best - Quadrophenia

their most underrated - The Who By Numbers
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,781
    Quadrophenia is their best. Check out the BBC Sessions also.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    QUADROPHENIA!

Listen to this person. Very wise, very wise indeed.
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    LIVE AT LEEDS DELUXE EDITION, QUADROPHENIA, WHO'S NEXT

the who in a nutshell
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Strangely enough I'm really not a fan of the Who at all. They have some really good songs but overall they're just horribly inconsistent... a lot of their stuff either leaves me scratching my head or bored to tears. I just don't really dig their overall "sound..." it's not powerful, it's not soft or emotional, it's just bleh. My opinion of course.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Quadrophenia
    Who's Next
    The Who By Numbers
    Tommy
  • IkkinIkkin Posts: 6
    The Who's overall strength does come from everyone being a "lead". Lead song writer/guitar, lead amazing bass guitar, lead vocals, and lead drums, as they all feed off each other. As hard as this can be, they accomplished it!

The Result is the music, and why Pearl Jam can give the same feelings.
    I personally would love to see Pearl Jam cover Real Good Looking Boy, and play the Midwest again soon!!
    ~just be darling....and i will be too

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    East Troy, WI - June 27 '98
    East Troy, WI - June 21 '03
    United Center, Chicago, IL - May 16 '06
    United Center, Chicago, IL - May 17 '06
    Milwaukee, WI - June 29 '06