Police abuse

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Weird but I felt emotional! Watching folks being interviewed on MSNBC the white man stating he was trying to come to grips with his white privilege! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

This day has serious weight in history. Columbine, Hitler and now Chauvin guilty.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/columbus-police-fatally-shoot-person-222318319.html Well today they killed a 15 year old black girl who reportedly called them for help.  And people wonder why Defund the Police is a thing.  What a sad country.  Floyd’s murderer is held accountable, but the cop killings of black people continue
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    static111 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/columbus-police-fatally-shoot-person-222318319.html Well today they killed a 15 year old black girl who reportedly called them for help.  And people wonder why Defund the Police is a thing.  What a sad country.  Floyd’s murderer is held accountable, but the cop killings of black people continue

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/20/one-person-killed-officer-involved-shooting-east-side/7309088002/

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    static111 said:
    Yes, police accountability still needs to be improved, but how that means defund them just doesn't make sense. What is that going to solve? Knee jerk reactions shouldn't be the answer either. Comments about genocide are over the top.
    edited April 2021
    further local reporting with description to body cam video shown to media.

Ma'Khia Bryant: What we know about the Columbus police shooting of the 16-year-old girl

The Columbus Dispatch

Details were starting to emerge Tuesday night in the fatal shooting of a teen girl by a police officer on the Southeast Side on Tuesday.

Here is what we know:

Police received a a 911 call at 4:35 p.m. about an attempted stabbing on the 3100 block of Legion Lane, which is located north of Chatterton Road. The caller reported a female was trying to stab them, then the caller hung up.

At 4:45 p.m., police on the scene reported that an officer was involved in a shooting.

The shooting happened about 20 minutes before a guilty verdict was announced in the murder trial of Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer who killed George Floyd.

Who was killed?

Police haven't released the name of the person shot, but Franklin County Children's Services said that the girl killed was 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant and that she was in foster care and in the custody of Children's Services.

A woman at the scene identified the girl as her 15-year-old niece.

Hazel Bryant said her niece lived in a foster home there on Legion Lane and got into an altercation with someone else at the home.

Who is investigating?

The state Bureau of Criminal Investigation will handle the investigation into the shooting. BCI now handles all shootings by law enforcement inside the city of Columbus.

Is there body camera footage?

Yes. A portion of the body camera footage was shown to the media Tuesday night in an unusual decision by the city and police. 

The video shows an officer approaching a driveway with a group of young people standing there. In the video, it appears that the 16-year-old, identified now as Ma’Khia Bryant, who was moments later shot by police, pushes or swings at a person who falls to the ground.

Bryant then appears to swing a knife at a girl who is on the hood of a car, and the officer fires his weapon what sounds like four times, striking the girl.

Who was protesting at the scene?

Shortly after the shooting, some nearby residents and other protesters gathered at the scene.

Kiara Yakita, founder of the Black Liberation Movement Central Ohio, said she is not surprised that another police shooting happened. "Why did they kill this baby?" she asked aloud. 

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    static111 said:
    Anybody watch this video?

Girl tries knifing another girl, girl gets kicked while down by a guy.

The guy is lucky he wasn't shot.

I don't know about this one...
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    static111 said:

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:

According to some reports the girl called the police because four other girls were coming after her and she grabbed a knife to defend herself against four others.  Also she is a kid.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

According to some reports the girl called the police because four other girls were coming after her and she grabbed a knife to defend herself against four others.  Also she is a kid.
    Kids can't kill, hurt or maim?

A different girl gets kicked, not with the knife. I can only go by what I see.  Hindsight is out the window.

Should the girl have been shot?  She was trying to knife someone else.  Does the cop let her do that and then be called out for NOT doing something?

It's a lose lose here.

What would you have the cop do?
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

No idea what this is from but I'm sure it supports whatever you are trying to get across...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I heard that too. But it also sounds like she was at her home and came out to meet the people she was calling the police over. If that's the case, I would say its justified. You can't call police, then go outside to meet the people harassing you with the intention to stab them just because you called the police.
    But its too early to tell, too much speculation and misinformation when these situations first get out there.
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

really. have you heard the 911 call? did the caller identify themselves? heard nothing here about release of the call.

reporting locally said someone called saying a girl was trying to stab them.

only reporting I have read about a knife belonged to the dead girl. no mention of anyone else with a knife.

so if this child did call herself, why do you think it was said she was going to get stabbed?

this happened a couple miles from my childhood home

CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

No idea what this is from but I'm sure it supports whatever you are trying to get across...

Police have the ability to not murder people 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

This moron should have been shot but I don't see any cops even near him?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

I believe this shot was taken when police were actually approaching him, they didn't even have weapons drawn, and he pointed them towards the "real" criminals. shortly before he killed people. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited April 2021
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Kyle Rittenhouse. They are referring to when he tried to surrender and walked by several police cars.
    I dont think its the same, when police arrived he looked like the victim because a mob had chased him. They were unaware that he just shot 3 or 4 people.
    Compared to this case, it sounds like the girl had a knife and was actively trying to stab someone. I'm sure if it was anyone's daughter she was trying to stab, they'd be okay with the shooting. But as I said earlier, its still earlier and we should have all learned by now that there is often a lot of misinformation when these stories first break. So hard to form a strong opinion at this point. 
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Kyle Rittenhouse. They are referring to when he tried to surrender and walked by several police cars.
    I dont think its the same, when police arrived he looked like the victim because a mob had chased him. They were unaware than he just shot 3 or 4 people.
    Compared to this case, it sounds like the girl had a knife and was actively trying to stab someone. I'm sure if it was anyone's daughter she was trying to stab, they'd be okay with the shooting. But as I said earlier, its still earlier and we should have all learned by now that there is often a lot of misinformation when these stories first break. So hard to form a strong opinion at this point. 
    this was taken AFTER he murdered those two people? I thought it was before. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

I dont think its the same, when police arrived he looked like the victim because a mob had chased him. They were unaware than he just shot 3 or 4 people.
    Maybe. I have no idea when it was taken based on a still picture. But I'm pretty sure that was the point CM was trying to make when posting it. At least that was what came to my mind. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

I'm under the impression this was taken after he murdered people, and the hand sign he flashed was recognized as pro law enforcement, which is why they let him through... I could absolutely be mistaken on this though... it's just what I recall hearing at the time. 
    edited April 2021
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

Maybe. I have no idea when it was taken based on a still picture. But I'm pretty sure that was the point CM was trying to make when posting it. At least that was what came to my mind. 
    I remember the incident now.

Guy got cornered, people attacked him, he shot them, they chased him.  He surrendered to the cops.

Guy was looking for trouble, got it and then got to defend himself.

Truth be told, if You're holding that rifle around your neck I am not engaging...

Edit: The cops did not see him shoot the people.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
    Just watched the video. I mean, what a chaotic scene and that cop had a millisecond to decide to shoot as that girl raised the knife. You see her drop it as she falls after being shot. Truly, what is the cop supposed to do there? Wait and see? 
    I didn't see the video. the only video screen i saw on the page was nothing but ad after ad. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I didn't see the video. the only video screen i saw on the page was nothing but ad after ad. 
    I found the video here. Starts about a minute in.

https://m.facebook.com/NBC4Columbus/videos/267251811794354
    tbergs said:

that link just brings me to a video of a bunch of guys on a boat playing chicken with a war ship. fucking idiots. 

anyway, I saw the video on cnn. it looks to me in the video that the girl with the knife who got shot was trying to stab the girls in the pink. what are officer directives when it comes to someone's life being in danger? wouldn't shooting the assailant with the deadly weapon be justified?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Here's a link that works....

https://youtu.be/XI1xWqWZxyk
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    tbergs said:
    Just watched the video. I mean, what a chaotic scene and that cop had a millisecond to decide to shoot as that girl raised the knife. You see her drop it as she falls after being shot. Truly, what is the cop supposed to do there? Wait and see? 

Good questions.

Where would this stand in the context of 'Stand Your Ground' laws?  What is the cop supposed to do in this scenario?

Doesn't Ma’khia have the right to bear arms?  The right to defend herself?  The right to stand her ground?
    tbergs said:

that link just brings me to a video of a bunch of guys on a boat playing chicken with a war ship. fucking idiots. 

anyway, I saw the video on cnn. it looks to me in the video that the girl with the knife who got shot was trying to stab the girls in the pink. what are officer directives when it comes to someone's life being in danger? wouldn't shooting the assailant with the deadly weapon be justified?
    Huh, weird on the link issue.

To your last questions, yes, the officer would be justified as there was a threat to others. They have a duty to act and if he doesn't shoot and she stabs the other girl, then this story gets buried because it's not a white cop shooting a black teen that hadn't yet killed or injured someone.