The video game thread.

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I saw/read that they completely overhauled the Road to the Show this year in MLB The Show '21.
    I don't remember the specifics, but what we have all known and loved over the years is completely gone.  It doesn't sound like you get drafted and then grind your way through the minors with promotions and eventually the Pros.
    I saw it explained on some YouTube video and it sounds really disappointing.  I LOVED RTTS and how it worked before.  Very sad.  
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    OOTP Baseball 22 is amazing.   
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    MayDay10 said:

I downloaded OOTP 21 via game pass but wasn't sure where to start.  Any recommendations to ease into it?  Is it mainly scouting prospects and being the GM?  I take it the games are simulated.
    mca47 said:
    I saw/read that they completely overhauled the Road to the Show this year in MLB The Show '21.
    I don't remember the specifics, but what we have all known and loved over the years is completely gone.  It doesn't sound like you get drafted and then grind your way through the minors with promotions and eventually the Pros.
    I saw it explained on some YouTube video and it sounds really disappointing.  I LOVED RTTS and how it worked before.  Very sad.  

I think RTTS is still there.  I saw they added podcasts to the narrative, whatever that means.

Franchise was completely overhauled ... I just watched a video on it and it was some serious nerd analytics on how proper value of a player is determined.  They stressed how important it was for the foundation of the game going forward.  It made my brain hurt.  So that is a good sign.  There is a lot more for the person that likes to sim GM this year it appears.

Menu presentation looks fantastic.  Looks like a nice change from the maze of menus the last two years have given us.  Hopefully I don't need to solve menu puzzles anymore to figure out how to unlock a 99 Yelich card ...
    Jason P said:
    MayDay10 said:

I downloaded OOTP 21 via game pass but wasn't sure where to start.  Any recommendations to ease into it?  Is it mainly scouting prospects and being the GM?  I take it the games are simulated.
    Yes, basically it is a sim and no 'hand eye coordination' type of deal.  You can watch the game play out and manage your team (or have your manager manage the team.

Basically OOTP is a sand box.  You can do anything you want and go from there.  Everything is customizable,  I started with Seattle at the beginning of 2021 and did a basic start.  I have seen people do an expansion team/draft presently.  In OOTP 21, I started one for the 1993 expansion if Buffalo got the expansion team instead of Florida.  You can pick up the Cubs in 1980 and go from there.  You can even start in the 1870s.  You can drill down and change the terms of the CBA, revenue sharing, playoff format, alignment, league rules, progression, you name it.

I think it looks harder/more overwhelming than it is, at least the basics.  I would recommend starting whatever project you want to do, then go into settings and have your assistant GM/Manager do a lot of the work, and slowly take control of those things as you get more comfortable.

I learned everything watching youtube videos.  There are a ton out there explaining the basics of the game.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just got my daughter the Animal Crossing Switch console for her birthday. Wonder if it will come with a three-month free trial to Nintendo Online...?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited April 2021
    dankind said:
    Just got my daughter the Animal Crossing Switch console for her birthday. Wonder if it will come with a three-month free trial to Nintendo Online...?
    Would recommend the online thing for AC content and previous Nintendo games

dankind said:

I’m not going to lie, Animal Crossing looks boring as fuck, but she does the whole Roblox thing, which also looks boring as fuck, so I’m guessing it’s up her alley. 

I got her Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. That’s more for the family, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Lol....I like AC cos it chills me out.... fishing, weeding, catching butterflies, etc, I guess it depends what you're into. I like having downtime and escapism. There was a mario download package which is cool to decorate with but I'm not sure how to access the hello kitty and sanrio downloadables. The people on Twitter do some pretty interesting things with their world.

PAC MAN 99 is available on nintendo switch online ... it's 'free' if you have nintendo online membership.  Haven't played it yet but it looks pretty cool.  Similar knock-out battle royale like Tetris 99 if anyone played that.
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:
    MLB The Show 21 will be available on xbox Game Pass on day one.  holy poops!  Didn't see that one coming at all, being it's a game made by Sony.  Saves me $70. 
    This is crazy, great news!

I guess MLB wanted the game cross-platform ... so they are publishing the game on the Xbox ... so Microsoft cut a deal with MLB and is giving away what was pretty big Sony exclusive away for 'free'.  Sony doesn't appear to be pleased nor privy to the deal or profits.

Shenanigans aside, this game is the best marketing tool MLB has so it makes sense to get it into as many hands as possible.  It's not just a great sports game ... it's a great game that any gamer could appreciate.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P said:
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:
    MLB The Show 21 will be available on xbox Game Pass on day one.  holy poops!  Didn't see that one coming at all, being it's a game made by Sony.  Saves me $70. 

I guess MLB wanted the game cross-platform ... so they are publishing the game on the Xbox ... so Microsoft cut a deal with MLB and is giving away what was pretty big Sony exclusive away for 'free'.  Sony doesn't appear to be pleased nor privy to the deal or profits.

Shenanigans aside, this game is the best marketing tool MLB has so it makes sense to get it into as many hands as possible.  It's not just a great sports game ... it's a great game that any gamer could appreciate.
    Tough noogies for Sony.  The game pass deal is great for MLB - The Show will be on Xbox for the next iteration and so on (presumably) so put it on game pass and get it as much exposure as possible.
    MLB The Show is a great series.  By far the best sports game on the market
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Jason P said:
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, MLB needs as much exposure as possible.  Even before the Rona, MLB was hurting.  Popularity was down, ticket sales were down.  Having this game in as many hands as possible will def help!
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I’m not going to lie, Animal Crossing looks boring as fuck, but she does the whole Roblox thing, which also looks boring as fuck, so I’m guessing it’s up her alley. 

I got her Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. That’s more for the family, though. 
    Ugh. Worst gift ever. I thought maybe they could just plug it in and play, but accounts have to made and linked, etc., etc. 

I finally tapped out after entering/changing email addresses and passwords repeatedly for about an hour this morning to no avail and told the kids they would have to figure it out. 

I think they’re still crying. I’m never going near the damn thing ever again. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    MLB The Show 21 quick thoughts after several hours of play on both Series X and Xbox One ...

* Next gen graphics:  Look about the same as current gen, but chrome and shiny.  I think current gen looks great
    * Menus are much better.  Should really help new players.  Old menus were a mess, to put it politely. 
    * Game modes for diamond dynasty look the same
    * New "parallel XP" which lets each player card earn individual xp for stat bonuses ... very RPG like, which is nice.  Last year you could upgrade Legend cards but only if you played over 500 online games.  Parallel XP appears to work for all cards and can be earned in Conquest mode (that's all i've played) by getting hits, strikeouts, etc.
    * Played on my Series X and then fired up my Xbox One and everything just worked.  Team and stubs transferred seamlessly.   Nice option to have. 
    * oh yeah, extra innings rules are in effect.  not sure if there is an option to disable
    * still not sure why other presentation modes are still locked in conquest mode
    * i don't think the xbox has an option to import music soundtracks ... really hope that option gets patched

may get into Franchise in a while.  DD usually consumes me ... especially with the group of butthole players I have on my roster that need upgrading ASAP.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I only play Diamond Dynasty and man, I wish your team’s settings (uniforms, etc) as well as gameplay settings just carried over from year-to-year. It takes me an hour to set this game up every year lol 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Am I the only dipshit that likes The Show because they just play career mode and pretends to be a GM and plays the occasional game here and there?
    Also noticed there appears to be a way to transfer crossplay via a code on The Show 21 ... so it appears you can transfer from PS to xbox although I can't confirm.  For online play, it is crossplay so xbox and PS owners can play each other.  Should help the online user pool
    Definitely read that you can play cross-platform which has to be the most groundbreaking part of all of this.
    Am I the only dipshit that likes The Show because they just play career mode and pretends to be a GM and plays the occasional game here and there?
    Have you ever tried OOTP>?
    edited April 2021
    MayDay10 said:
    Have you ever tried OOTP>?
    I have not, definitely curious about it though. I like playing a game here and there because it's a great game - I like to download the latest OS full rosters and go from there. I used to play a lot more online and do the $25, $50 leagues but life is just too busy to make time for that anymore. And ohhhh god the stress.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Just grabbed The Show yesterday. I’ve played it on PS before, but finally own it because they have it on Xbox now. Can’t wait to dig into it this week!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I haven't had more than a few minutes for games the last two days so all I've done in The Show was fiddle with the different batting and pitching mechanics.  Looks like a lot of work ahead :bee:
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Try the stadium creator. Its pretty awesome, but you will spend hours. My son who is 14 and I build one over the weekend and took about 4 hours. You can do it quicker. Just depends on how much detail you want to add. 
    It's on my to-do list but after I learn to play the game.  Not the first good things I've heard about it!
    Well it has been almost impossible to play The Show in the evenings because the servers can't keep up ... which also impacts single player.  No bueno.

The birds ... why add the birds???  They are the most unrealistic aspect of a super realistic game.  Any stadium in real life that had that many birds acting like a pack of seals is making a kill on a school of fish just past the outfield wall ... they would have an army of plastic owls to ward them off or all the patrons would need to bring umbrellas to avoid getting pooped on.  Also very distracting because the birds reset to the same starting animation position after every pitch. 
    Jason P said:
    Well it has been almost impossible to play The Show in the evenings because the servers can't keep up ... which also impacts single player.  No bueno.

The birds ... why add the birds???  They are the most unrealistic aspect of a super realistic game.  Any stadium in real life that had that many birds acting like a pack of seals is making a kill on a school of fish just past the outfield wall ... they would have an army of plastic owls to ward them off or all the patrons would need to bring umbrellas to avoid getting pooped on.  Also very distracting because the birds reset to the same starting animation position after every pitch. 
    Playing on Xbox I've only had server issues the day after release, and I haven't even noticed the birds  =)
    I'm too busy trying to figure out how to hit and baserun...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    There were always server issues back in the PS3 days. Not so much since it's been on PS4. Maybe the addition to cross-platform play with the Xbox crew is causing issues? I don't know. I won't even try an online game at this point, but as someone has pointed out, even single-player modes like Moments, Showdown, and Conquest are tied to the servers. And those crashing is a new thing. Even when The Show's servers were at it's worst, it was just connection issues with your opponent. A single-player mode, even one tied to Diamond Dynasty, would never crash. 

The worst game ever was either the last or second-to-last one on PS3. CONSTANT hard-freezes. I actually took that one back and traded it in for store credit. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Got the show 21 on Xbox series x Tuesday

1st time playing, it’s challenging for sure

is there a Season mode, where you just play every game? I dabbled a little(busy with work) 

will play some this weekend