The Pizza Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I have a Gold Belly gift card and was actually thinking of using it for Lou's. Should I try this Pequod's place instead?

Also for Pizza oven's, any recommendations? Thinking of making a purchase...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I have a Gold Belly gift card and was actually thinking of using it for Lou's. Should I try this Pequod's place instead?

As MCA shared here, the Ooni is pretty sweet.  I don't use it often enough but it is easy to set up.  A bit of a learning curve - I am still going through it - but the pizza is delicious. It is not quick and easy to prepare and all of that, but it cooks in 2 mins or less when fired up.

Goldbelly is great.  Pricey as fuck but damn.  I'm jonesing for the dim sum from a place in NYC, might order that today.  Looked at crabcakes earlier today as well.

I've not ordered either of these pizzas frozen from GB yet so I can't weigh in on that.  Tony Gs was really good, though.  (Tony's Pizza Napolenta)  He has Rock ordering on there now, as well.

The love he receives is the love that is saved

As MCA shared here, the Ooni is pretty sweet.  I don't use it often enough but it is easy to set up.  A bit of a learning curve - I am still going through it - but the pizza is delicious. It is not quick and easy to prepare and all of that, but it cooks in 2 mins or less when fired up.

Goldbelly is great.  Pricey as fuck but damn.  I'm jonesing for the dim sum from a place in NYC, might order that today.  Looked at crabcakes earlier today as well.

I've not ordered either of these pizzas frozen from GB yet so I can't weigh in on that.  Tony Gs was really good, though.  (Tony's Pizza Napolenta)  He has Rock ordering on there now, as well.

Do you hook a propane tank up to it like a grill?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

Tough call man.  Really can't go wrong with either.  If you've never had Lou's, I'd almost say you have to give it a shot, but I like Pequod's more (both are excellent).

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

I think they have a gas option.  I have a wood one - charcoal and then wood.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

I have to get one of these.  Is charcoal and wood a pain in the ass?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

Nah, I think that part is easy.  You will want to get a laser thermo if you don't have one, so that you can monitor the heat inside the oven and add wood if needed but with the dough process it is not something you do without planning anyway (dough will take you 2-3 days, at least, if you want good stuff) so taking some extra time for the fire doesn't seem to be much effort.
    The toughest part, for me, has been getting the right tools and practicing.  Once I had the right peel and spinner shit got 50x easier, and now I just need to practice more.  My wife cant eat it (gluten issues and I don't make a GF) and the 6 year old prefers normal pizza...but I think the thing to do is make enough dough for 20 pizzas and have a party. 
    Once pandemic is done I think I am going to do this and by the end of that party I will be down with it and (hopefully) showing awesome pic results like MCA.  The last time I did it they were really, really, good...but still not quite looking the part.

mcgruff10 said:

Nah, I think that part is easy.  You will want to get a laser thermo if you don't have one, so that you can monitor the heat inside the oven and add wood if needed but with the dough process it is not something you do without planning anyway (dough will take you 2-3 days, at least, if you want good stuff) so taking some extra time for the fire doesn't seem to be much effort.
    The toughest part, for me, has been getting the right tools and practicing.  Once I had the right peel and spinner shit got 50x easier, and now I just need to practice more.  My wife cant eat it (gluten issues and I don't make a GF) and the 6 year old prefers normal pizza...but I think the thing to do is make enough dough for 20 pizzas and have a party. 
    Once pandemic is done I think I am going to do this and by the end of that party I will be down with it and (hopefully) showing awesome pic results like MCA.  The last time I did it they were really, really, good...but still not quite looking the part.

Do you have to make your own dough?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    mcgruff10 said:

After you grow your own wheat.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    mcgruff10 said:

I've not tried with store bought or ones from a local place.
    I guess you probably don't need to make....but once you make and eat a napolenta style I think you like it enough to do yourself.
    For a regular style my two cents would be just buy a pizza stone and do on your oven, bottom rack, as hot as that fucker will do.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mcgruff10 said:

Just let us know where and when to show up for that party  ;)

GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

When this fucking Covid stuff is solidified...and Jersey.  Sounds good!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

I like Pequod's better.  But you can't go wrong with Lou's.
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I've never been to Vineland!  So pumped.

For ovens, I have an Ooni Pro.  I use charcoal and wood, but you can also get an attachment to connect to a propane tank.
    For another question you had ^^

It's best to make your own dough.  It's really easy.  The only tricky part is thinking ahead as the dough is best if it cold ferments for a day or two.  I'm planning on making pizza again this Saturday so I need to make my dough tomorrow.
    What's also great about those outdoor ovens is that you can use them to make a ton of stuff other than pizza.  I've made some killer fajitas, flatbreads including naan, wings, fish, seafood...  I don't do redmeat but I've heard it makes absolutely killer steaks.
    mcgruff10 said:

Which Ooni do you have?
    I had some ugly but tasty pizzas over the years...and still do from time to time, but I am getting better.  Stone temp of 750-800 is the sweet spot for me.  Once i hit that, I'll toss a wood chunk on right before the pizza goes in.  Perfect bottom and a perfect top.
    And if you have the Pro, you def do not need the pizza door.  Found out like 2 years of owning it that the pizza door is meant if you're using gas.  Having it on made the launch and spins harder and harder to see what was going on.
    Can't wait to fire it up this weekend!
    Thanks guys! Do you keep your Ooni's outside by your regular grill or do you bring them inside when you're finished?

Also, did you get the steel table that they sell separately? I'd think that would be helpful. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yep I have the pro and the door generally is off when the action is going.
    mcgruff10 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Cherry Hill!
    (Wife is from Vinetucky and many relatives still live there.)
    Thanks guys! Do you keep your Ooni's outside by your regular grill or do you bring them inside when you're finished?

Also, did you get the steel table that they sell separately? I'd think that would be helpful. 
    I keep mine outside with an Ooni cover.  I have a steel table (with wheels) I bought on Amazon.  It's similar to the Ooni version, but cheaper.  Cheaper in cost and probably quality to be honest.  
    edited April 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Cherry Hill!
    Duh.  Lol.  Why did I think you were from Vineland? Maybe because I was at Stockton for a tour last week and when I went there every other person seemed to be from Vineland.  That and bellmaWR lol.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    mca47 said:

I like Pequod's better.  But you can't go wrong with Lou's.
    There is a reason Pequod's is all sold out until May 19th.
    Is Pequod s a chain like Lou’s?
    mca47 said:

I keep mine outside with an Ooni cover.  I have a steel table (with wheels) I bought on Amazon.  It's similar to the Ooni version, but cheaper.  Cheaper in cost and probably quality to be honest.  
    Also keep mine outside in the warm months and it goes into the garage in the winter.
    I believe I have the same table as MCA, think he told me which one he used.  
    I didn't get an Ooni cover I got a home depot grill cover the works ok.

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Cherry Hill!
    Duh.  Lol.  Why did I think you were from Vineland? Maybe because I was at Stockton for a tour last week and when I went there every other person seemed to be from Vineland.  That and bellmaWR lol.  
    Ha.
    Bellmawr is not too far, Vineland if about 45 mins.
    mcgruff10 said:

Nope.  Only 2 locations.  One in Chicago and one in a suburb outside of the city.  It's the bomb!
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Nope.  Only 2 locations.  One in Chicago and one in a suburb outside of the city.  It's the bomb!
    What biggs said.  I like the original best.  It's literally a house converted into a pizzeria.

Man, I would kill for a slice of Pequods right now!
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And you didn’t suggest this place to me in 2018 because.........
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

And you didn’t suggest this place to me in 2018 because.........
    Lol fail on my part! All the more reason to come back when they play here next. 

Grandma pie.  Let’s do this.