Options

Cutting the Cord

2»

Comments

• Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mr. won't leave cable because of sports. I like some local shows that aren't available on the internet.

I didn't have cable growing up (didn't have it until I was 23)...I only had 5 channels to pick from ABC, NBC, CBS, local, and PBS. So I'm still kind of fascinated by all the programming.

I signed up for the stupid triple play thing, because it was $20 cheaper than the a'la carte cable/internet I was paying for. Now the prices went up to $189/month, and when I looked at the pricing, I would pay more if I cancelled the triple play. :roll:

That stuff really drove me crazy. I was able to get a la carte for about $150 but I had to cut a lot out of what I had when it was $200, and I just felt ripped off. For $50 bucks I lost half my service. It just didn't seem right.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    I've considered it for a while. Probably not going to happen anytime soon though.
    I like watching live sports...and I like watching shows like Game of Thrones as it's aired.
    Annnnnnnd no. I'm not into illegally downloading shit.

Puss :lol:

I'm not concerned with the Feds kicking down my door....I just don't think stealing something that was creatively made is fair to those who made it. They made a product that they sell. Don't see how that's different than stealing shit from the grocery store or going to Best Buy and walking off with a DVD.
    Same goes for music, movies, videogames, etc.

Not necessarily download and keep, but streaming.

Seems no different to me than using the DVR and skipping all the commercials.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    I could never do it because of the sports. There's nothing like watching a game on my big ass HDTV.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I could never do it because of the sports. There's nothing like watching a game on my big ass HDTV.

I totally understand that if you do watch a lot of sports.
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    RKCNDY wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

It's a joke. I asked about cancelling all the extra pay channels except HBO and it would save me $3.00 because of the package I have. Plus you add all the cable boxes on top of that. I need to get my own modem instead paying for that at least.

I can't find a modem for the phone thingie. Back when we didn't have triple play, I bought a modem for cable/internet. Since I signed up, I have to rent their modem of course, because they will 'constantly improve internet speeds' and constantly tell me 'you need a new modem'.

I only have one DVR because they charge so much for them. I wonder how much it would be if I bought my own DVR/cable box.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6121-S ... able+modem

If you have Comcast, this one is compatible and it's one of the better cable modems out there. If they are telling you they are "constantly improving speed" tell them you'll get a new one when their service surpasses 160Mps down, and 120Mps up.

I have the same one and it's already paid for itself almost 2x over. It's crazy for them to charge $7.00 per month for a modem that probably isn't even capable of handling the speed you are paying for. When I replaced the leased modem, I could immediately tell the difference.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    mbangel10 wrote:
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6121-S ... able+modem

If you have Comcast, this one is compatible and it's one of the better cable modems out there. If they are telling you they are "constantly improving speed" tell them you'll get a new one when their service surpasses 160Mps down, and 120Mps up.

I have the same one and it's already paid for itself almost 2x over. It's crazy for them to charge $7.00 per month for a modem that probably isn't even capable of handling the speed you are paying for. When I replaced the leased modem, I could immediately tell the difference.

:thumbup: you rock!

I like owning all my own equipment, I've actually had to turn in the first modem I got because they refused to tell me how to change the password/routing on the modem when it got infected with the DNS changer bot. They kept telling me, "Your computer is infected" yeah, I hooked up my old Cisco modem and tah-dah! no DNS errors.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

I totally understand that if you do watch a lot of sports.

there are sites
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Ok, I'm seriously considering Cutting Cable...
    I can get most sports games online, need to check if I can figure out how to get them to stream over wifi to my tv.
    I would buy an antenna to pick up local HD channels.
    I already have netflix.
    Comedy central shows are usually available online the next day.
    I could just stop watching all of the other crap and be more motivated to actually do something productive..
    What am I missing?
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Do it! Dropped my cable two years ago and any show I want to watch I can stream online same with sports(which for me is just the hockey season).
    The only time I miss tv is when I'm sick and I just want to mindlessly flip through channels till I pass out for a bit...but even then not really.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    edited September 2014

Do it! Dropped my cable two years ago and any show I want to watch I can stream online same with sports(which for me is just the hockey season).
    The only time I miss tv is when I'm sick and I just want to mindlessly flip through channels till I pass out for a bit...but even then not really.

yeah I just did the math... Over the past year, I payed $1020 for cable and there was approx 1950 hours of watchable TV (Thats subtracting time for work, sleep, vacation, etc) Now I could never actually watch 1950 hours of tv.... but it comes out to me paying $0.52 for every hour of time-waste brain-sucking reality tv and commercials... I could fly to see Pearl Jam every year if I just ditch cable.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    lizabelle1217lizabelle1217 Central Jersey Posts: 222
    smarchee said:

peacefrompaul" said:
    [quote="Indifference71"]I could never do it because of the sports. There's nothing like watching a game on my big ass HDTV.
    I totally understand that if you do watch a lot of sports.[/quote]

there are sites

@smarchee What sites do you use to stream live sports?

Also, how can I attach my laptop to my TV...? Anyone...? :)
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    finally got the digital converter box and an antenna...no way I could drop cable. The signal where I am isn't the best, I can start watching a show, and the antenna loses the signal, so I feel like I'm watching a scrambled cable channel from the 80s on an old cable box.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    We don't have cable either, we use Netflix, Hulu and amazon prime as well...there are a few things we miss, but for the most part we figured it out...like how to stream college football for my hubby and random things like that, it's a lot better and so much cheaper!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Alright it's finally time to cut the cord.  Pretty sure I'll be switching to youtube TV.  Has just about everything I want and I'll end up saving around $40-50 per month.  The last straw with Comcast was them increasing my monthly bill by $6-7 per month for the Cubs Marquee network and no choice to opt out of that.  Anyone with youtube TV have regrets about switching???
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Alright it's finally time to cut the cord.  Pretty sure I'll be switching to youtube TV.  Has just about everything I want and I'll end up saving around $40-50 per month.  The last straw with Comcast was them increasing my monthly bill by $6-7 per month for the Cubs Marquee network and no choice to opt out of that.  Anyone with youtube TV have regrets about switching???
    I have zero regrets about dumping Directv/Cable.  It took me awhile to take the leap, the only regret was not doing it sooner.  Its liberating.  I have been free for about 2-3 years

I had Hulu Live for awhile, switched to Youtube TV... actually just dumped Youtube TV for now (the beauty is you can cancel these things with a click of a button) because we havent been watching it.  We live off of Netflix, Disney+, and youtube.  Also Prime.  We also have the in-laws password for their cable that gives us stuff like HBO Max, Starz, other channel apps. I also subscribe to MLB TV.  

I would recommend optimizing your router.  When we first started, we had a few issues with connectivity.  Nothing terrible, but annoying constantly resetting the modem.  I upgraded to a nice modem and router and my entire house is on wireless pretty seamlessly.
  • Options
    We never had cable here so I just have netflix at £5.99 per month and that is more than enough extra tv.
  • Options
    And now YouTube TV and NBC are battling and looks like all the NBC channels will be dropped unless they come to an agreement today.  Unbelievable.  The greed from all these giant corporations makes me sick.  And this one is a dealbreaker for me.....no more Golf channel and NBC Sports Chicago which has every White Sox, Blackhawks and Bulls game.  Those 2 channels are prob the main reason I still need any type of cable.  I don't know WTF I'm going to do here.  Just brutal.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    And now YouTube TV and NBC are battling and looks like all the NBC channels will be dropped unless they come to an agreement today.  Unbelievable.  The greed from all these giant corporations makes me sick.  And this one is a dealbreaker for me.....no more Golf channel and NBC Sports Chicago which has every White Sox, Blackhawks and Bulls game.  Those 2 channels are prob the main reason I still need any type of cable.  I don't know WTF I'm going to do here.  Just brutal.

I have youtubetv. I like it a lot. Unlimited DVR space and local channels as well as most popular cable channels. It's $70 but if the nbc thing doesn't work out they said they would drop the price to like $55
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly