Cutting the Cord

mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I cancelled my cable subscription about 15 months ago, and I haven't looked back. It seems like it's a national trend now, and the cable companies are freaking out over everything.

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/national- ... he-agenda/

I have Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Prime and it's plenty to watch. Once I can get Aereo (broadcast network streaming in HD w/ DVR cloud), I'll ditch Hulu and that will be even better.

I figure I've saved about $1700.00 and I'm living reality TV free. It's awesome.

Anyone else here cut the cord (or thinking about it)?
Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Jeez, how much were you paying for cable? We pay $95 a month and that includes internet and land line.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I applaud you! Didn't have tv back in Germany for a couple of years and I never missed it. I had so much time to read, play records and meet people :)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Jeez, how much were you paying for cable? We pay $95 a month and that includes internet and land line.

We pay about $180/month for all 3 services

I would love to bring that cost down by half.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548

I had one of those crappy triple play deals w/ the movie channels... it was around $200.00 per month. I cut that down to internet and digital w/o the movie channels and it was still over $150.00. That lasted for six months and then I cut the cord.

I couldn't get a new deal because my cable company wouldn't bargain with me, and charged me a la cart for internet and TV. I knew I was being ripped off. I was never so happy as when I handed in my DVR and cable modem (I bought my own) to them. Now the cable co. is leaving flyers at my door all the time. It's hysterical.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • A++ thread.

last year i sat down and actually evaluated the whole cable thing. we have it, it gets watched but really is it worth the price tag? i am the only member of the family who doesnt watch anything outside of network television so i figured id look into it and see if we could save some money

since the digital airwave takeover (in canada anyway) the whole over the air channel thing disappeared, those for me were just fine personally. so one day in the electronics store i happened upon a fellow who told me of a way to pick up network channels over the air and in full hd. what?

yeah seriously it is pretty crazy, if you are handy and have a few bucks to invest (and a few as in less that 2 months of cable) you can get some pretty startling 1080 hd for free, thats no gimmick or anything, i think i currently pick up 20 channels or so on a good day (granted reception can be degraded on the farther away channels at times). it requires a newer tv with a digital tuner built in and some good ole fashioned elbow grease.

has anyone else ever done this or seen the tvfool website?
    A++ thread.

last year i sat down and actually evaluated the whole cable thing. we have it, it gets watched but really is it worth the price tag? i am the only member of the family who doesnt watch anything outside of network television so i figured id look into it and see if we could save some money

since the digital airwave takeover (in canada anyway) the whole over the air channel thing disappeared, those for me were just fine personally. so one day in the electronics store i happened upon a fellow who told me of a way to pick up network channels over the air and in full hd. what?

yeah seriously it is pretty crazy, if you are handy and have a few bucks to invest (and a few as in less that 2 months of cable) you can get some pretty startling 1080 hd for free, thats no gimmick or anything, i think i currently pick up 20 channels or so on a good day (granted reception can be degraded on the farther away channels at times). it requires a newer tv with a digital tuner built in and some good ole fashioned elbow grease.

has anyone else ever done this or seen the tvfool website?

That's pretty cool. I'm going to check it out.

I remember reading that when broadcast TV went digital, the channels received would be in full HD. The HD is actually better than what cable gives digital subscribers because it's not compressed.

We pay about $180/month for all 3 services

I would love to bring that cost down by half.

Roku/Xbox + Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime is less than $30 per month. With internet it can range from $60 to $100 per month total.

I have an Xbox but I found hooking up my gaming PC directly to my TV was actually kind of awesome. I'm typing this on my couch with a wireless keyboard, couch mouse, and I have a 55" monitor. :D
    I thought this was about going without any cable tv at all :oops:

It is. The only thing I pay for is internet and a few online streaming services. I still watch TV, I just don't pay a ton for it anymore. If you mean abandoning TV all together, no.
    mbangel10 wrote:

It is. The only thing I pay for is internet and a few online streaming services. I still watch TV, I just don't pay a ton for it anymore. If you mean abandoning TV all together, no.

Sorry, I'm not a native speaker. But yeah abandoning tv was what I meant :) It can be good! We actually though about it, but hubster cannot be without certain sports events ... I'm coming from a family that never really had tv, so I am used to getting along without it. But sometimes there are days where I defo enjoy the occasional tv coma ...
  • Does Amazon Prime or Hulu stream shows meaning like example fx soon after they're broadcast or is it a year behind like Netflix?
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Sorry, I'm not a native speaker.

But sometimes there are days where I defo enjoy the occasional tv coma ...
    You do quite well - much better than I'd do with your language (and it's my father country :P )

Last part, hell yes.

"it's no crime to escape"

(and I do! I think we all need to at some point; gotta temper mindfulness with mindlessness sometimes, and in our own ways)

Doubt we'll be cutting the cord, so to speak, but it is beyond sweet to turn on, tune in and drop out.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I have cable and I use it every thursday night to watch Archer :lol:

Then I don't use it. :lol:
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I have thought about it.

What gets me is the sports. Everything else I would prefer to be without.

Wife watches stuff, but would easily be placated via netflix/prime.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    I've considered it for a while. Probably not going to happen anytime soon though.
    I like watching live sports...and I like watching shows like Game of Thrones as it's aired.
    Annnnnnnd no. I'm not into illegally downloading shit.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    mca47 wrote:
    I've considered it for a while. Probably not going to happen anytime soon though.
    I like watching live sports...and I like watching shows like Game of Thrones as it's aired.

Puss :lol:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    mca47 wrote:

Puss :lol:

I'm not concerned with the Feds kicking down my door....I just don't think stealing something that was creatively made is fair to those who made it. They made a product that they sell. Don't see how that's different than stealing shit from the grocery store or going to Best Buy and walking off with a DVD.
    Same goes for music, movies, videogames, etc.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I have thought about it.

What gets me is the sports. Everything else I would prefer to be without.

Wife watches stuff, but would easily be placated via netflix/prime.

I havent had cable television since the mid 1990s. I do currently have netflix streaming, so that's nice. But i've just started to miss the sports. I used to go out with friends or go places to catch good games, but lately its been getting harder. I've been thinking of breaking down and getting cable, but I just cant do it.

Its kinda funny to see my nice big TV with rabbit ears. Those hardly work too. I get one channel.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i have no idea what the montly cost is.

i do know, i can flip thru every single station and still not find anything to watch. i can do this for hours. drives me nuts.

we have dish 250 with hbo and skinamax
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Mr. won't leave cable because of sports. I like some local shows that aren't available on the internet.

I didn't have cable growing up (didn't have it until I was 23)...I only had 5 channels to pick from ABC, NBC, CBS, local, and PBS. So I'm still kind of fascinated by all the programming.

I signed up for the stupid triple play thing, because it was $20 cheaper than the a'la carte cable/internet I was paying for. Now the prices went up to $189/month, and when I looked at the pricing, I would pay more if I cancelled the triple play. :roll:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    did the cable interent/phone and go tv only.

then get yourself a 4g phone in a 4g market with unlimited data. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

I have a 4g phone...no unlimited data.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i Can't live without BBC America
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Mr. won't leave cable because of sports. I like some local shows that aren't available on the internet.

I didn't have cable growing up (didn't have it until I was 23)...I only had 5 channels to pick from ABC, NBC, CBS, local, and PBS. So I'm still kind of fascinated by all the programming.

I signed up for the stupid triple play thing, because it was $20 cheaper than the a'la carte cable/internet I was paying for. Now the prices went up to $189/month, and when I looked at the pricing, I would pay more if I cancelled the triple play. :roll:

It's a joke. I asked about cancelling all the extra pay channels except HBO and it would save me $3.00 because of the package I have. Plus you add all the cable boxes on top of that. I need to get my own modem instead paying for that at least.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

I have a 4g phone...no unlimited data.

:(

we're wrapping up year 3 of no home interent.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    JK_Livin wrote:

It's a joke. I asked about cancelling all the extra pay channels except HBO and it would save me $3.00 because of the package I have. Plus you add all the cable boxes on top of that. I need to get my own modem instead paying for that at least.

I can't find a modem for the phone thingie. Back when we didn't have triple play, I bought a modem for cable/internet. Since I signed up, I have to rent their modem of course, because they will 'constantly improve internet speeds' and constantly tell me 'you need a new modem'.

I only have one DVR because they charge so much for them. I wonder how much it would be if I bought my own DVR/cable box.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Have not had cable in over 10 years. Don't have the internet at home. Never owned a cell phone. I can't believe I survive in the world????? ha ha ha ha ha ha

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    I have Cable, Internet and Phone and with Showtime and HBO
    It had gone from 189.00 to 220.00 So I decided to drop HBO.
    That brought me back down to 179.00.Still not happy.So I went
    Basic on all three.I think it's gonna be 159.00.Still high,Not happy.
    The internet is slow as hell. Can't win for losing. :x
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Have not had cable in over 10 years. Don't have the internet at home. Never owned a cell phone. I can't believe I survive in the world????? ha ha ha ha ha ha

awesome. and I thought I was off the grid for awhile!

I paid about $30/month for my cell phone for 10 years = $3600
    if you pay 185 for TV/phone/internet for ten years = $22,200

:shock: Cut the chord.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I cut the cord last easter, and just had my 1 year anniversary

I get buy with news and shows through website like cbc, tsn.ca, sportsnet.ca, pbs, A&E, MSNBC etc

I also get news through video podcasts via itunes

I have a couple of sites I visit that stream sports

I have lots of shows downloaded over the years and DVD season are pretty cheap

I live alone so I can certainly get by without having to fork out $120 a month. I figure'd I paid $4500 over the 3 and a half years I had satellite

I don't miss it but if I had a girlfriend I would probably get cable again
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2