*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• DeamonDeamon Posts: 153
    Screw Lowry.  Let him rot in Toronto. 

Hill is a nice upgrade but we really missed out on Powell.  Portland gave up quite a bit for him though so maybe we couldn't offer it.
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I can't believe they've gone 6-1 without Jojo. So today is two weeks since he got hurt. I think he's being reevaluated this weekend? I bet he is back for the Cavs on Thursday when they get home. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Definitely had some blue balls yesterday but I’m over it. It’s so nice having Morey, because you know that if he was refusing to give up certain assets then there’s a good reason for it. Toronto wanted too much and I hope their stubborn asses lose Kyle for nothing in a few months. 

I think George Hill still helps in a lot of ways. One thing that I don’t think enough people are talking about is how it could potentially unlock Shake, as he won’t have to be a primary ball handler. His lack of play making ability make him a combo guard at best. A traditional PG beside him could work wonders for his game. 

So nice to see them stacking up wins. Even though the Lakers are ass without their 2 stars, I was still worried with Bradley being gone and Dwight being tossed in the 1st Quarter. But the other guys just keep stepping up. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    RiotZact said:
    Definitely had some blue balls yesterday but I’m over it. It’s so nice having Morey, because you know that if he was refusing to give up certain assets then there’s a good reason for it. Toronto wanted too much and I hope their stubborn asses lose Kyle for nothing in a few months. 

I think George Hill still helps in a lot of ways. One thing that I don’t think enough people are talking about is how it could potentially unlock Shake, as he won’t have to be a primary ball handler. His lack of play making ability make him a combo guard at best. A traditional PG beside him could work wonders for his game. 

So nice to see them stacking up wins. Even though the Lakers are ass without their 2 stars, I was still worried with Bradley being gone and Dwight being tossed in the 1st Quarter. But the other guys just keep stepping up. 
    100% agree on your take on Shake Milton. 

I'm good with the George Hill move overall.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    you guys don’t really think your sixers can win it all, do you?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I think it’s possible, but everything would have to go exactly right for it to happen. Shooters would all have to be “on”, Tobi would have to keep closing out games like he has been (he has been less than horrible at this in the previous 2 playoffs), Joel would have to keep Joel-ing. 

The only teams I’m afraid of are the Nets and maybe the Heat if they start firing on all cylinders. 

The Nets are such a question mark. Everyone assumes they’ll be amazing when they’re full strength, but the Sixers’ defense has been smothering at the end of games. Not saying that completely stops those 3, because there probably is no completely stopping them. But on the other side of the floor...what exactly are they doing to stop the Sixers?? We say that defenses “tighten up” in the playoffs, particularly late in games, but what does one of the worst defenses in NBA history look like when it “tightens up”? I just feel like there’s enough of a balance there that things could get interesting. I’m not saying I’m confident, but I’m also not writing the Sixers off just yet without seeing how both teams play each other full strength.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Embiid back on Saturday I hear? They better beat Cleveland tonight.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Yup. I think they've gone 7-3 without him. Never would've thought that possible, especially with Ben going back to playing more like he was in the first couple months of the season.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yup. I think they've gone 7-3 without him. Never would've thought that possible, especially with Ben going back to playing more like he was in the first couple months of the season.
    Well to be fair, the options have been playing him with Dwight or Bradley, who clog the paint disgustingly for him, or with Mike Scott as a “stretch” 5. Notice that I put the word stretch in quotations, because I’m pretty sure Dwight could hit a higher rate of 3s than Mike has over this stretch. 
    edited April 2021
    RiotZact said:
    Well to be fair, the options have been playing him with Dwight or Bradley, who clog the paint disgustingly for him, or with Mike Scott as a “stretch” 5. Notice that I put the word stretch in quotations, because I’m pretty sure Dwight could hit a higher rate of 3s than Mike has over this stretch. 
    Dude, he's an all star. 2 for 11 for 5 points and 3 free throw attempts tonight. That ain't all on Dwight Howard, my man! lol I think he made one single basket all game against the Lakers last week too. Horrible. 

Spacing will always be an issue for him....but that shouldn't stop him from being aggressive and getting foul shots like he was for the previous couple months. Averaged almost 5 turnovers in these last few weeks too. He's gotta be better than that. 

Is George Hill available this weekend?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    Dude, he's an all star. 2 for 11 for 5 points and 3 free throw attempts tonight. That ain't all on Dwight Howard, my man! lol I think he made one single basket all game against the Lakers last week too. Horrible. 

Spacing will always be an issue for him....but that shouldn't stop him from being aggressive and getting foul shots like he was for the previous couple months. Averaged almost 5 turnovers in these last few weeks too. He's gotta be better than that. 

No official word but hopefully!

I agree with everything you said, but Ben’s greatness has always been contingent on who’s around him. He thrived last year when Embiid was hurt because, as much as we all hate Al Horford, at least he was somewhat of a threat to shoot. I’m not trying to make excuses for him, I’m just saying this is something that has been tried and tested time and again. 
    edited April 2021
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

No official word but hopefully!

I agree with everything you said, but Ben’s greatness has always been contingent on who’s around him. He thrived last year when Embiid was hurt because, as much as we all hate Al Horford, at least he was somewhat of a threat to shoot. I’m not trying to make excuses for him, I’m just saying this is something that has been tried and tested time and again. 
    I understand all of that but that doesn't explain missing 9 of 11 shots, and only getting to the line 3 times. With the same players around him last week against Golden State he scored 22, and had 14 free throw attempts. The intensity level seems to fluctuate quite a bit with him. Without being able to shoot, I'd like to see that intensity dialed up more often, especially without Jo. Luckily we came away without needing it much.

Thank god for the bench. I think their success the last few weeks without Jo and with Ben struggling will really help them come spring time.

Some easier games coming up too. Maybe we can retake first... 

https://theathletic.com/2494151/2021/04/02/with-joel-embiid-poised-to-return-sixers-cap-6-game-road-trip-with-114-94-win/

The bad: Simmons’ struggles continue

On the other end of the equation …

Simmons finished with just five points on 2-of-10 shooting in the first half. An optimist might look at that box score and argue that Simmons was aggressive in getting up 10 shots in one half of play, but he wasn’t. In truth, a big part of the reason Simmons converted only two of those attempts was that they weren’t aggressive moves to the basket. Failed hook shots in the paint, a turnaround, a fadeaway jumper and layups in transition that came up short littered Simmons’ disappointing first half.

Simmons is averaging just 13 points on 41 percent shooting from the field since the All-Star break, a period during which Embiid has played only 20 minutes and the hope was that Simmons would pick up some of the slack. The Sixers have been winning, yes, having gone 9-3 since the break. But that’s largely because of their defense, which has been the best in the league (by a considerable margin) over that stretch. The offense has consistently left something to be desired.

Simmons is a player whose confidence seemingly plays a large role in his level of aggressiveness. This team, especially the backup centers, isn’t well suited to play to Simmons’ strengths. That’s something Rivers sort of acknowledged when he went back to having Mike Scott start in Embiid’s place after a one-game reunion and elevating Howard to the starting role.

“The numbers tell us … I don’t need numbers; my eyes tell me — when Dwight starts with that unit, we haven’t gotten off to good starts,” Rivers said of his decision after the game.

Still, the Sixers need to find a way to get the version of Simmons they had before the All-Star break if they’re going to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Embiid out 😕
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Embiid out 😕
    And it showed.
  • DeamonDeamon Posts: 153
    RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:
    I think it’s possible, but everything would have to go exactly right for it to happen. Shooters would all have to be “on”, Tobi would have to keep closing out games like he has been (he has been less than horrible at this in the previous 2 playoffs), Joel would have to keep Joel-ing. 

The only teams I’m afraid of are the Nets and maybe the Heat if they start firing on all cylinders. 

The Nets are such a question mark. Everyone assumes they’ll be amazing when they’re full strength, but the Sixers’ defense has been smothering at the end of games. Not saying that completely stops those 3, because there probably is no completely stopping them. But on the other side of the floor...what exactly are they doing to stop the Sixers?? We say that defenses “tighten up” in the playoffs, particularly late in games, but what does one of the worst defenses in NBA history look like when it “tightens up”? I just feel like there’s enough of a balance there that things could get interesting. I’m not saying I’m confident, but I’m also not writing the Sixers off just yet without seeing how both teams play each other full strength.

Exactly this.  I also think HCA would be needed.  Can't see us winning a 7 game series vs the Nets without it.  We are such a better team at home than on the road.
    1998: Vancouver 7/19
    2005: Calgary 9/4
    2009: Calgary 8/8, San Diego 10/9
    2011: Calgary 9/21, Edmonton 9/23, Vancouver 9/25
    2012: Missoula 9/30
    2013: Calgary 12/2
    2014: Amsterdam1 6/16, Amsterdam2 6/17, Trieste 6/22, Berlin 6/26
    2016: Ottawa 5/8, Toronto 5/10, Toronto2 5/12
    2019: Dusseldorf 6/30 (EV)
    2022: Sacramento 5/18
    Deamon said:
    RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:

Exactly this.  I also think HCA would be needed.  Can't see us winning a 7 game series vs the Nets without it.  We are such a better team at home than on the road.
    I think the home and away thing means less this year with less fans. Plus our record on the road is basically the same as the Nets and Bucks and that is with a few early season losses without Jojo.

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited April 2021
    Watching this Embiid interview with Reggie Miller....he’s pissed at himself only making 16 of 20 free throw attempts.  How can you not love this guy??
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Watching this Embiid interview with Reggie Miller....he’s pissed at himself only making 16 of 20 free throw attempts.  How can you not love this guy??
    80% from the line?! What a bum!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    The Timelord was hapless against Embiid, fouling out in 14 minutes. Doesn't have the bulk or the know how (yet) to even attempt to guard him.
    Celts only shot to slow him down is to get Tristan Kardashian out of the longest Covid protocol in history, he's at least got some muscle and experience, but can't stop going out at night (has missed last 12 games in protocol, ridiculous, just focus on your multi-million dollar job, not your social life).
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    The Timelord was hapless against Embiid, fouling out in 14 minutes. Doesn't have the bulk or the know how (yet) to even attempt to guard him.
    Celts only shot to slow him down is to get Tristan Kardashian out of the longest Covid protocol in history, he's at least got some muscle and experience, but can't stop going out at night (has missed last 12 games in protocol, ridiculous, just focus on your multi-million dollar job, not your social life).
    What happened to your squad this year? Other than Hayward, it's pretty close to the same team as last year, right? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:
    What happened to your squad this year? Other than Hayward, it's pretty close to the same team as last year, right? 
    Hayward and I guess to a small extent Enes Kanter, who at least provided some inside scoring and rebounding but sucked on the defensive end.
    Its hard to put a finger on it, but they just aren't playing the way they've shown in the past. The defensive intensity seems less than recent years, and was especially glaring when Smart was out injured.
    And they seem too reliant on the 3 ball to me (they took friggin' 54 of them Sunday vs Charlotte, but they were hitting that night), they need to get back to better ball movement and still lack an inside presence. Thompson was supposed to be that guy who could defend, rebound and add a little scoring, but he hasn't meshed and like I said has been in Covid protocol since steak and BJ day cause his Kardashian influence means he has to go out every friggin' night.
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Hayward and I guess to a small extent Enes Kanter, who at least provided some inside scoring and rebounding but sucked on the defensive end.
    Its hard to put a finger on it, but they just aren't playing the way they've shown in the past. The defensive intensity seems less than recent years, and was especially glaring when Smart was out injured.
    And they seem too reliant on the 3 ball to me (they took friggin' 54 of them Sunday vs Charlotte, but they were hitting that night), they need to get back to better ball movement and still lack an inside presence. Thompson was supposed to be that guy who could defend, rebound and add a little scoring, but he hasn't meshed and like I said has been in Covid protocol since steak and BJ day cause his Kardashian influence means he has to go out every friggin' night.
    I’m certainly no expert as I’ve only watched 2 or 3 Celtics games this year outside of the ones against the Sixers, but to me there seems to be way more Tatum/Brown iso/hero ball. Almost like every play is something that was drawn up to be a game winning shot in game 7 of the finals. Like you said, no ball movement or anything. Just pass the ball to one of those two and let them try to get a bucket. 
    There is no question there's too much hero ball.
    They need either Kemba to become a better distributor or make a move this offseason for a more natural pass first floor general type of point guard.
    ummm, well that was kinda an ugly loss. not quite sure what happened last night. I just saw the score.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Pretty incredibly how many teams there are who have nobody who can guard Embiid. Thee Process in rare form tonight
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I put some money on BetMGM that he scores 30 and they win (+450). Just need the W now!
    Well done JP...

BRUTAL 6 game stretch coming up here. I'd imagine this is one of the toughest stretches any team in the league has had to endure this year, especially with finishing with two in Milwaukee (bark, bark).

Nets have a tough stretch that starts right when our's finishes. Tomorrow's game is huge. Win that and you give yourself a little cushion. 4-2 would be fucking fantastic, but 3-3 will not be all that bad, especially if two of those wins comes against the Nets and Bucks.

Would be great if the February version of Ben Simmons reemerges starting tomorrow night. Gonna need him next month, that is for certain. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    I put some money on BetMGM that he scores 30 and they win (+450). Just need the W now!
    That was a nice one. JoJo was just toying with those guys last night. Damn.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    That was a nice one. JoJo was just toying with those guys last night. Damn.
    It looked as if he was playing against a bunch of middle schoolers
    chinese-happy.jpg
    -6.5 tonight. No Kyrie and Harden still out. Need this one. 
    chinese-happy.jpg