White Privilege

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    So I think I was muted today?  An artist I enjoy had posted on Facebook another post which slammed Kenny Wayne Shepherd for buying a Dukes Of Hazzard replica General Lee (taking especial umbrage with his purchase because he's a blues musician).  In her preamble to the repost, she claimed that racism isn't anyone's problem (ie. no one's racist except) white people.  I commented that my experience is that whites are hardly the only racists, with some of the worst racist comments I've heard coming from non-whites (which I've at times, but not every time spoken up against).  Very shortly after I found I was no longer following this singer and my comment was deleted (I did refollow her and it's stayed so far).

Subsequently I saw that in her previous post she clearly said she was only going to have these discussions in "safe spaces" with like-minded individuals, which, had I read that prior to my own comment I might have refrained.  Unfortunately when I tried sending a private message to apologize I found I couldn't for whatever reason (as a celebrity I wouldn't blame her for turning off PMs).

While I will continue to enjoy her music I still believe the only way we'll make meaningful progress is if EVERYONE is given an equal voice at the table and a fulsome examination of all aspects of the issues is done.  Which is not what happened here I feel.

Or is all this my white privilege at play and I need to just shut up, continue to listen to the victims and endure the constant barrage of accusations of being racist simply because I'm white?

As I closed my FB comment, I do want to be clear that I am not trying to downplay or belittle anyone else's lived experiences, I'm always willing to learn, but can only truly speak from my own lived perspective.

Edit:  Being on my laptop instead of my phone I seem to have been able to send an apology.
    I'm on the fence about these "safe spaces" and "discussions only with like minded individuals". that's not a healthy way of learning and growing. Even as far as no longer having your ear to the ground, per say. How will this person know what's going on in the world if they put themselves in a box?

I have tended to gravitate away from socializing with people who are politically antagonistic, but I have no issue with real discussion and disagreements as long as it doesn't turn into a passive aggressive "gotcha" pissing contest. 

I don't fall for gaslighting anymore, now that I know the signs. 

I do understand, however, that there would be a certain point for some people to stop having to constantly explain their position, but isn't that how it has to be for every social revolution? Repeating the same message over and over and having the same conversations with different people to spread the word? I mean, I'm not the type to just roll over and accept whatever someone says just because they say it without some type of explanation/context. 

Just yelling at someone to do their own research or "if you don't know by now, you're part of the problem" isn't productive, no matter how frustrated you are, and won't bring people to the table. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    So I think I was muted today?  An artist I enjoy had posted on Facebook another post which slammed Kenny Wayne Shepherd for buying a Dukes Of Hazzard replica General Lee (taking especial umbrage with his purchase because he's a blues musician).  In her preamble to the repost, she claimed that racism isn't anyone's problem (ie. no one's racist except) white people.  I commented that my experience is that whites are hardly the only racists, with some of the worst racist comments I've heard coming from non-whites (which I've at times, but not every time spoken up against).  Very shortly after I found I was no longer following this singer and my comment was deleted (I did refollow her and it's stayed so far).

Subsequently I saw that in her previous post she clearly said she was only going to have these discussions in "safe spaces" with like-minded individuals, which, had I read that prior to my own comment I might have refrained.  Unfortunately when I tried sending a private message to apologize I found I couldn't for whatever reason (as a celebrity I wouldn't blame her for turning off PMs).

While I will continue to enjoy her music I still believe the only way we'll make meaningful progress is if EVERYONE is given an equal voice at the table and a fulsome examination of all aspects of the issues is done.  Which is not what happened here I feel.

Or is all this my white privilege at play and I need to just shut up, continue to listen to the victims and endure the constant barrage of accusations of being racist simply because I'm white?

As I closed my FB comment, I do want to be clear that I am not trying to downplay or belittle anyone else's lived experiences, I'm always willing to learn, but can only truly speak from my own lived perspective.

Edit:  Being on my laptop instead of my phone I seem to have been able to send an apology.
    I'm on the fence about these "safe spaces" and "discussions only with like minded individuals". that's not a healthy way of learning and growing. Even as far as no longer having your ear to the ground, per say. How will this person know what's going on in the world if they put themselves in a box?

I have tended to gravitate away from socializing with people who are politically antagonistic, but I have no issue with real discussion and disagreements as long as it doesn't turn into a passive aggressive "gotcha" pissing contest. 

I do understand, however, that there would be a certain point for some people to stop having to constantly explain their position, but isn't that how it has to be for every social revolution? Repeating the same message over and over and having the same conversations with different people to spread the word? I mean, I'm not the type to just roll over and accept whatever someone says just because they say it without some type of explanation/context. 

Just yelling at someone to do their own research or "if you don't know by now, you're part of the problem" isn't productive, no matter how frustrated you are, and won't bring people to the table. 

Well said, Hugh. 
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413

Thanks for your reply, completely agree with Merkin Baller that it’s really well put.

I do want to emphasize that I want to help and not become/be part of the problem but at the same time I won’t (can’t?) just be a blind yes-man (on any issue, ask my friends, it’s led to misunderstandings/conflicts in the past).

I also continue to count myself very fortunate that I was raised in a house where colour was never an issue and if any of us made any inappropriate comments my parents took the time to explain why we were wrong. All that said it doesn’t mean I don’t have learning to still do and do make an effort on that.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Thanks for your reply, completely agree with Merkin Baller that it’s really well put.

I do want to emphasize that I want to help and not become/be part of the problem but at the same time I won’t (can’t?) just be a blind yes-man (on any issue, ask my friends, it’s led to misunderstandings/conflicts in the past).

I also continue to count myself very fortunate that I was raised in a house where colour was never an issue and if any of us made any inappropriate comments my parents took the time to explain why we were wrong. All that said it doesn’t mean I don’t have learning to still do and do make an effort on that.
    it's funny (not funny) that in my house it's been the reverse; my parents aren't overtly racist; they do say things about a certain oppressed segment of our population that I won't repeat here, and I'm always the first one to speak up against that type of speech. My siblings don't really say anything; not sure if they just know I will or they are indifferent, not sure. 

I read recently a quote that said "white people: we don't want you to be our voice for justice, we want you to just amplify ours", which makes perfect sense. I can't possibly have a freaking clue what they are and have gone through, so I can't speak for them in any meaningful way other than to just shut down racist speech when I hear it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Follow up information (maybe this should be in the cancelled thread). The award in question was withdrawn, sounds like they didn’t actually investigate however, unless Shepherd is flat out lying.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/kenny-wayne-shepherd-blues-music-awards-nomination-rescinded-1144236/
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    Is not having a clue.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    applies to privilege too....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    applies to privilege too....

Agreed.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390

To safe spaces etc, even Jesus preached then moved on.  I guess it’s better to use that posting energy on something else if you can never agree on anything.
    ive posted before that my family grew up not seeing the color of your skin, the dirt on your clothes or the amount of $ in your pocket so in that sense we were fortunate. Unfortunately my father was a sex addict so hey take the good with the bad right? 
    I posed a question to people as to besides the color of another’s skin, what makes you hate a perfect stranger when you first meet them.  Only one person said they had been assaulted by a group of black men, but realized he shouldn’t blame a whole race for one incident.
    People refuse to be honest about their hatred due to stupid reasons or no reason at all so sadly this will never change.  
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    And what’s even funnier about all this is we are the least dominant human race on the planet!! Seriously, who the fuck do white people think they/we are? 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Can’t I just be a woman anymore? Simply be a decent human being, and let it go at that?

Wishful thinking? Yup. 
    wondered where to put this.
    Hulu to produce, release '1619 Project' documentary series
    By The Associated Press
    Yesterday

NEW YORK (AP) — Hulu will produce a documentary series based on “ The 1619 Project,” stories in The New York Times that examined the legacy of slavery in America dating from the arrival of the first slave ship from Africa.

Roger Ross Williams, an Academy Award-winning director for his film “Music by Prudence,” will oversee and produce the series, it was announced Thursday.

The announcement was an outgrowth of a deal announced last summer by the Times, Lionsgate and Oprah Winfrey to develop “The 1619 Project” into a portfolio of films, television series and other content. They will also be producers, along with Williams' business partner, Geoff Martz.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper series, from writer Nikole Hannah-Jones, began appearing on the 400th anniversary of ship's arrival in the then-British colony of Virginia.

“‘The 1619 Project’ is an essential reframing of American history." Williams said. “Our most cherished ideals and achievements cannot be understood without acknowledging both systemic racism and the contributions of Black Americans. And this isn’t just about the past — Black people are still fighting against both the legacy of this racism and its current incarnation.”

The streaming service gave no indication of when the documentary series will appear.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    mickeyrat said:
    By The Associated Press
    Yesterday

NEW YORK (AP) — Hulu will produce a documentary series based on “ The 1619 Project,” stories in The New York Times that examined the legacy of slavery in America dating from the arrival of the first slave ship from Africa.

Roger Ross Williams, an Academy Award-winning director for his film “Music by Prudence,” will oversee and produce the series, it was announced Thursday.

The announcement was an outgrowth of a deal announced last summer by the Times, Lionsgate and Oprah Winfrey to develop “The 1619 Project” into a portfolio of films, television series and other content. They will also be producers, along with Williams' business partner, Geoff Martz.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper series, from writer Nikole Hannah-Jones, began appearing on the 400th anniversary of ship's arrival in the then-British colony of Virginia.

“‘The 1619 Project’ is an essential reframing of American history." Williams said. “Our most cherished ideals and achievements cannot be understood without acknowledging both systemic racism and the contributions of Black Americans. And this isn’t just about the past — Black people are still fighting against both the legacy of this racism and its current incarnation.”

The streaming service gave no indication of when the documentary series will appear.

One more thing for conservatives to be outraged about. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    mickeyrat said:
    By The Associated Press
    Yesterday

One more thing for conservatives to be outraged about. 
    Hulu sounded a little too ethnic anyway. #BoycottHulu #CancelHulu
    hmmm......

See "Police abuse" thread.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    White privilege perfectly explained in this reaction video of W.M.A. This lovely young couple have reacted to a lot of PJ songs. Really like the discussions they have after each song, particularly this one. 

I apologize if this was posted previously. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    ^^ sorry for my inexpert attempt at posting a tweet. I don’t have Twitter so I’m reduced to screen capping. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638

Everyone’s a comedian on Twitter. Absolutely ridiculous tweet. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    nicknyr15 said:

I don’t understand that a person who doesn’t realize color is a bad person now…
    nicknyr15 said:

:lol: 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    nicknyr15 said:

Not "bad" necessarily, more so ignorant. Lack of awareness, understanding, education, recognition, etc.

The "I don't see color" mantra needs to go.

Because it disregards your privilege as the dominant race. Because it diminishes the racism experienced by people of color. Because it denies that color is part of their cultural makeup. Because it strips POC of their identity. Because it dilutes your bias and prejudice. Because it reinforces ignorance and lack of awareness. Because it disables and disempowers POC. Because, because, because...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited August 2021
    Hobbes said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Not "bad" necessarily, more so ignorant. Lack of awareness, understanding, education, recognition, etc.

The "I don't see color" mantra needs to go.

Because it disregards your privilege as the dominant race. Because it diminishes the racism experienced by people of color. Because it denies that color is part of their cultural makeup. Because it strips POC of their identity. Because it dilutes your bias and prejudice. Because it reinforces ignorance and lack of awareness. Because it disables and disempowers POC. Because, because, because...

"The "I don't see color" mantra needs to go."

Yeah for sure, agreed!  (Unless you are monochromatic.) 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh lord.

As to color, I’d have to be willfully (or legitimately) blind to not see it.

I’ll judge people — and yes, I do judge, myself included — by their actions, their words, their character. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2021
    nicknyr15 said:

Not a bad person, but perhaps an ignorant one. They are proud of their heritage. Proud of who they are. If they are of different colour they want you to recognize that. To say “I don’t see colour”  is disingenuous and, quite frankly, just plain lazy. The person saying it (who is always white) means they treat everyone the same and therefore aren’t racist all the while not recognizing their own white privilege in life. 

Recognize who they are and understand they are different. They don’t want to be seen or treated as “similar” because the inherent systemic problems will still exist. The statement allows white folks to lie to themselves that they aren’t part of the problem, simply because “they don’t see colour”.  

If you believe it “doesn’t matter” you are sadly mistaken. It does matter. It matters as much to them as your heritage does to you. People are different and trust me in this, asking questions and learning about those differences will enrich your own life both personally and professionally. 

I’ve only learned this in the last few years by talking to people. I was one of those white folks who once said “I don’t see colour”.  It’s an asinine statement of course.  There are words for the different races of humanity and you learn them at a pretty young age. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    To have no colors in the world, not great variety of culture, that would be a great loss. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    nicknyr15 said:

Not a bad person, but perhaps an ignorant one. They are proud of their heritage. Proud of who they are. If they are of different colour they want you to recognize that. To say “I don’t see colour”  is disingenuous and, quite frankly, just plain lazy. The person saying it (who is always white) means they treat everyone the same and therefore aren’t racist all the while not recognizing their own white privilege in life. 

Recognize who they are and understand they are different. They don’t want to be seen or treated as “similar” because the inherent systemic problems will still exist. The statement allows white folks to lie to themselves that they aren’t part of the problem, simply because “they don’t see colour”.  

If you believe it “doesn’t matter” you are sadly mistaken. It does matter. It matters as much to them as your heritage does to you. People are different and trust me in this, asking questions and learning about those differences will enrich your own life both personally and professionally. 

I’ve only learned this in the last few years by talking to people. I was one of those white folks who once said “I don’t see colour”.  It’s an asinine statement of course.  There are words for the different races of humanity and you learn them at a pretty young age. 
    So my thought on this.  I grew up in a “ghetto” and was a mixing pot.  Color was never an issue if you were also struggling.  You were all people trying to make it.  

The answers I see here were never in my shoes and I need to understand that and not take it heart as most people didn’t live like I did and won’t get it.

For those that grew up like this, color wasn’t a thing.  We didn’t see color, just our struggles.  It gave us all an appreciation for each other.