THEE OH SEES!!!

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Or 2
  • Or 2
    Exactly, right?

Usually some rumblings are out and about though?
    Usually they just drop it in a newsletter or when they actually announce it. Sometimes there’s IG posts. 

It’s only Feb. my guess is they record in March or April for a August or Sept release
  • Usually they just drop it in a newsletter or when they actually announce it. Sometimes there’s IG posts. 

It’s only Feb. my guess is they record in March or April for a August or Sept release
    They actually do IG posts?  
    Castleface maybe. I forget who I follow
    boom 9/18

https://www.stereogum.com/2092964/oh-sees-dreary-nonsense/music/
    Also, now its just Osees
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Also, now its just Osees
    Oh Sees, OCS, Thee Oh Sees.  It's all the same if Dwyer is the front man to me.
    Watching 60 minutes and they are interviewing Colton Whitehead and they talk about the loud music he listens to and I hear Henchlock in the background.  How cool is that?
    Pretty sure it was Chem Farmer
    Pretty sure it was Chem Farmer
    You are correct.  I mix those two songs names up all the time.  How cool was it to hear that though?!?
    Very. 

Like a totally random shout out too. Cash, Bowie and TOS? Maybe that’s what they had footage of, so awesome of him for queueing them up then. 
    Another live stream + Merch (including a record and cassette)

https://levitation-austin.com/products/osees-vol-2-stream-ticket

https://youtu.be/Hud5qwuwDAs
    Thx for this.  I bought some of Dwyers screen prints a few years ago so it was nice to see another one finally.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606

Just bragging/showing off my score in case tempo missed it. Only 30ish bucks each!
    Very cool
    edited March 2021
    I don’t have a pic but here’s my rare OhSees LP

https://www.discogs.com/Thee-Oh-Sees-Drop/release/11447072

signed on the cover and the b-side of the TP label
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    Very nice. Looks like hand painted cover. Special & unique!!!!
    Dwyer painted. 
    edited March 2021
    Wow. Great find! What a creative band too. I never heard them till a few months back. Reminds me of a club band I caught a couple shows back in the 90s, johnny skillsaw. The guitarist used a skillsaw on stage for noise effect. They did a crazy cover of I am.the walrus(see below, I just found it!...sounds a bit different then I remember, 'recent' remix) Just outside the box creativity not trying to appeal to anyone specifically. But the few that get it can't get enough. Something like that.

https://youtu.be/mIdXOOjKwTY
    Post edited by Loujoe on
    Loujoe said:

Just bragging/showing off my score in case tempo missed it. Only 30ish bucks each!
    Where the hell did u find this at?  Peter dammit signed it too!
    https://www.secretserpents.com/collections/the-garage
    I was lucky. I always check out this site just to look at posters. They just opened 'the garage' section of random stuff. Saw the signed records, was like I think thats the band tempo told me about. Snagged them! 

Loujoe said:
    https://www.secretserpents.com/collections/the-garage
    I was lucky. I always check out this site just to look at posters. They just opened 'the garage' section of random stuff. Saw the signed records, was like I think thats the band tempo told me about. Snagged them! 

Cool man!  For posters of Oh Sees my buddy Dan Curran makes them for their NY shows.  He asked the band/Dwyer and he was cool with it.  He gives the band some and he gets to sell them.  I have never asked him to get me a band signed one though...
    Nice. artists supporting artists. Will catch them someday.
    edited April 2021
    Hey, earlier in the week they put up new variants of 2 of their 3 Levitation sessions. Check out the Levitation site, or your indie retailer. They don’t ship until October, but these live sets are basically a career mishmash, done live with no audience. They sound nice and raw, but fantastically produced. Could not recommend d them more. 
    Nice^^.  I think they have tentaive tour dates too. I'm new to this band, but dig their unique sounds. 
    Hey, earlier in the week they put up new variants of 2 of their 3 Levitation sessions. Check out the Levitation site, or your indie retailer. They don’t ship until October, but these live sets are basically a career mishmash, done live with no audience. They sound nice and raw, but fantastically produced. Could not recommend d them more. 
    The first one was killer w Chem Farmer.
    Totally. Big Sur and sesh 2 are great as well. So many highlights. 
  • So...  Saw them Thursday and Saturday.

Thursday I had more fun but I liked the setlist flow better on Saturday.

On Saturday the lead man John Dwyer was walking through the merch area and almost everyone didn't even recognize him.  I yelled heyyyy Dwyer!  He smiled at me and patted me on my shoulder.  We have met a few times before but not sure if he remembered me but I was happy to run into him again.

So Thursday capacity was half maybe at the club Warsaw in Brooklyn?  Got a great spot off the rail in front of the stacks.  A few years ago the put in a barrier so you can't stage dive anymore.  It used to be awesome when you could go right up on the stage but anywho, I hung out there for the night.  

Opening band was Bronze from SF.  They were interesting.  A drummer, singer and a tech guy that made guitar and other sounds with electronics in his hands.  Truly wild and enjoyed it.

Oh Sees came on early and banged out 20 or so songs in just over an hour.  They have Chem Farmer in rotation again after dusting that one off in the Levitation sessions so i am very happy w that.

My buddy didn't do the poster as he was told that Dwyer was doing them but we never see his work on the east coast as it sells out before it reaches us...

They have a new guy in charge of their Merch and they had a damn Purple shirt!  I bought that sucker and am, wearing it today.  They also had every album, almost, for sale which was nice considering they always sell out.

Saturday purple shirts and almost all the others were gone.  Sold out of a few records too.  Band started off w new songs from Foul Form then got into the familiar stuff.  The keys player Tomas plays guitar on the new tracks.  The new songs are heavy as hell.  Almost hardcore like?  They have a video for one of them. It's definitely different, lol.  Also I haven't seen Dwyers clear SG the past two tours oh and he has a new outfit for touring.  I guess he retired the striped shirt combo.  For five years in a row he wore the same outfit on tour, lol.

Same as Thursday.  An hour or so and 20 songs, no encore.  More and more people are reoccurring fans and then you have the locals that just go to a local show and are there for the night only, those people are annoying...  Anywho.  great live show as usual.  I got my local deli guy whom is 62 into them.  He is very happy that I turned him onto them.

Take in a show if you can!