Options

St. Patrick's Day

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    The Irish are the friendliest people I've met.

Just ask my ex...I had no idea where She was...I sat Home waiting for Her patiently...but as I found out She was drinking and hanging out with some Strange Irish Guys to 5am at some Pub while I sat at Home worried...and I had no idea about it or where She was...anyway in the mean time I'm waiting patiently at home for her not knowing where She is or what She's doing...I am not Joking about this...
    Ok, bit of a tangent there. Let's not blame poor St Patrick for this!
    Yeah, everybody knows that St. Patrick is the patron saint of battered spouses, not jilted ones. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    i_lov_it said:

Just ask my ex...I had no idea where She was...I sat Home waiting for Her patiently...but as I found out She was drinking and hanging out with some Strange Irish Guys to 5am at some Pub while I sat at Home worried...and I had no idea about it or where She was...anyway in the mean time I'm waiting patiently at home for her not knowing where She is or what She's doing...I am not Joking about this...
    damn Irish 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,742
    i_lov_it said:

I'm sure there are some "lucky charm" some "pot of gold" and definitely some "shillelagh" jokes around here some where. 

Please don't put your feckkin' ex's faults on the Irish lads. I tink that's a bunch of malarkey.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    dankind said:
    i_lov_it said:

Yeah, everybody knows that St. Patrick is the patron saint of battered spouses, not jilted ones. 
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    edited March 2021
    I guess some bars will be open tomorrow for St' Paddy's Day. There's one Irish bar within walking distance that's open now so I'm sure they'll be open tomorrow. Not sure how that will work with pandemic and all still going on.
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,968
    I tell people every year that I'm half Irish and that half doesn't care...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    1/4 Irish and this is the first year in so long that I did anything as a nod to this day, and that is because our son is excited to wear all green and have a silly shamrock chain thing going on. 

When I was a bar-frequenting youngster this was another day I despised.  Bars would be massively overcrowded so the regulars found the normal spots to be shit shows, full of piss drunk amateurs. 
    As a very young man, it was a good day for sloppy hook ups. 

Oh well, now I am an old man (still young by Wobbie standards) and wearing a green shirt to give my son a big smile is something I am happy to do.

We have many friends from Ireland here - is this day a big thing, there?  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I've gone from not giving a shit about St. Patrick's Day (neither Irish nor a member of any religion with saints) to somewhat despising the day. 

At some point between the time I was a child and the present day, some fuckhole overachiever stay-at-home parents and overzealous grade school teachers decided to make this another day in which parents who work for a goddamn living can completely fail their children.

Apparently, we're supposed to have candy and elaborate tricks played on us all around the house. Fucking stupid!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Husband’s Irish but doesn’t drink.

I’m not Irish but don’t drink anymore.

So much easier - and fun - taking the other green road.

(even when I did drink, the day never appealed to me; can’t stand being around sloppy drunks)
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,852
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Husband’s Irish but doesn’t drink.

I’m not Irish but don’t drink anymore.

So much easier - and fun - taking the other green road.

(even when I did drink, the day never appealed to me; can’t stand being around sloppy drunks)
    If ya can't beat em, join em is the motto you were to follow on that day!
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    We're still on lockdown here in Ireland so not much doing this year. Hopefully they'll start lifting restrictions in April.
  • Options
    All the kids on my son's Zoom class were sharing their leprechaun treats and tricks, and, of course, our boy had nothing to share because, as we've established above, this is a fucking stupid practice.

So my wife, who practices "magic" ( :weary: ) , told him to tell everyone that his mother put a protection spell on the house against leprechauns. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    All the kids on my son's Zoom class were sharing their leprechaun treats and tricks, and, of course, our boy had nothing to share because, as we've established above, this is a fucking stupid practice.

So my wife, who practices "magic" ( :weary: ) , told him to tell everyone that his mother put a protection spell on the house against leprechauns. :lol:
    SHES A WITCH - Monty Python Witch  Meme Generator
  • Options
    dankind said:

Magic is real! Yeah, right.

I can be dismissive here, but whatever gets her through her day/life, I guess.

I'm sure there are more witches than Dudeists out there, so who am I to judge?

I will say that weed, taking it easy, and white Russians are all very real, though.

Thread integrity: Was Saint Patrick a real person at one time like some of the saints or a made-up figure like some of the other saints? Or a combination of both? 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I will say that weed, taking it easy, and white Russians are all very real, though.

Thread integrity: Was Saint Patrick a real person at one time like some of the saints or a made-up figure like some of the other saints? Or a combination of both? 
    As I understand it, Saint Patrick was a real person sometime around the 4th or 5th century. He is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland. March 17 is generally recognized as the date of his death. While the holiday originally commemorated his life and mission work, it since expanded to be a celebration of Irish culture in general. It's debatable that some things credited to him (like eradicating all snakes from the island) are made up.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,219
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Now I know the real reason you chose Scott's Swamp over Marshvegas, closer to Salem.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Almost forgot, St Patrick's Day is an excuse for me to post one of my favorite youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ljOcl39PQ
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,832
    A little Jameson.  Cheers! 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    May be a cartoon
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    They had lamb stew at the cafeteria today in honour of St. Paddy's Day, and it was actually amazing... there was so much lamb in it, I think they probably lost money on it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Happy St. Paddy's Day!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA