David Bowie

CsAc99CsAc99 Washington Posts: 35
edited April 2018 in Other Music
I am trying to get into Bowie here lately. I recently bought The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and really like it. I am wondering where I should go from here. 
"Are you getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?"
Post edited by CsAc99 on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    If you want to stick with a similar sound, Hunky DoryAladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs.  

If you’d like to move on, Young Americans

Station to Station through Lodger might be my favorite run of albums by any artist/band ever, but that’s really moving on. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • CsAc99CsAc99 Washington Posts: 35
    Thanks dankind, I will have to check those out. I was thinking those were the albums I needed to check out next.
    "Are you getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I love Low. My favourite. Station to Station is close behind.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    And if by any chance you'll be in New York City between now and I think mid-July, absolutely go to the Brooklyn Museum and see the "David Bowie Is..." exhibit, it's PHENOMENAL!!!  You'll get to see his work from so many different angles.  It's really great if you can get there!  And it's the last stop of the tour of the exhibit, so I think that's it after NYC.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2021
    search function sucks for me. and the liquor's calling the shots tonight 

i still miss david bowie. reality tour was the last time...1st time serious moonlight. caught every tour in between. except tin machine. before seeing bowie play live, all we knew were rock concerts. bowie live, was a show, not just a concert. david live an incredible disc. let's dance > tonight tours were mind bending. def some good songs in there worth checking out.

at first, for me it was all about ziggy. it was just one of those classic albums that everyone loved, so the record/cassette got played a lot with the group of friends i hung with, growing up. i was intrigued so i went back as far as hunky dory and then finished with the 70's cds. here's what i found on my journey ... there are massive amounts of gold nuggets in there. expect things to be different/unique. that was the beauty/joy for me. you could not paint bowie into a box. he goes way beyond a brilliant creative mind. a true composer.
    the people/musicians he surrounded himself were all top shelf explorers and that didn't hurt  ;)

starman top of the pops(TOTP)

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    search function sucks for me. and the liquor's calling the shots tonight 

i still miss david bowie. reality tour was the last time...1st time serious moonlight. caught every tour in between. except tin machine. before seeing bowie play live, all we knew were rock concerts. bowie live, was a show, not just a concert. david live an incredible disc. let's dance > tonight tours were mind bending. def some good songs in there worth checking out.

at first, for me it was all about ziggy. it was just one of those classic albums that everyone loved, so the record/cassette got played a lot with the group of friends i hung with, growing up. i was intrigued so i went back as far as hunky dory and then finished with the 70's cds. here's what i found on my journey ... there are massive amounts of gold nuggets in there. expect things to be different/unique. that was the beauty/joy for me. you could not paint bowie into a box. he goes way beyond a brilliant creative mind. a true composer.
    the people/musicians he surrounded himself were all top shelf explorers and that didn't hurt  ;)

starman top of the pops(TOTP)

I got to see David Bowie eight times between 1983 to 2004....including the tour with NIN in 1995.

He was also rumored to be headlining Coachella, but it never happened.

His death was such a great loss!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I saw him twice.  Once on the Bowie/NIN tour and once on what ended up being his Final Tour.   Both were amazing shows.  I guess that's the thing about Final tours.  You don't actually know when your at them (well not most of the time anyways).
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    I was able to see him twice, the first was 1983 The Serious Moonlight Tour. I was young, loved it during the MTV era. Then later on The Glass Spider Tour, very different it came across like an opera or a musical play. 

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

edited January 2021
    my hero talking about david bowie...edit, after listening to this... WOW

Post edited by helplessdancer on
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    hooked on Scary Monsters lately
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Such a fine album!  And Fripp!  Oh man!
    my hero talking about david bowie...edit, after listening to this... WOW

"When you get past your 60's you thank God... and whatever other being you might worship... for the fact that you're still here."  So true!   I love Pete's gems of wisdom!   Nice words about David, thanks for posting this!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Saw him in 1995 with Lou Reed and Elvis Costello..he was magnetic..a true star..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I've gone on and off David Bowie over the years. I greatly regret not seeing him life. At the moment I am very much back into his music again anyway.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    My brother was smart and saw Bowie early on during the Ziggy days.  He was like 10 feet from the stage.  Said it was incredible.  No doubt!  Wish I'd been there!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    Bowie was good live and certainly miss his music.

@23scidoo that is one heck of a triple bill.  I loved Lou Reed live. Loudest performer I ever heard.

Years ago I never would’ve guessed Bowie and Reed would be gone, but Iggy POP would still be around.  No disrespect to any of the 3 of them, all great live and on wax, just wouldn’t have guessed Iggy to outlast the other two.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    ST66483 said:
    Bowie was good live and certainly miss his music.

@23scidoo that is one heck of a triple bill.  I loved Lou Reed live. Loudest performer I ever heard.

Years ago I never would’ve guessed Bowie and Reed would be gone, but Iggy POP would still be around.  No disrespect to any of the 3 of them, all great live and on wax, just wouldn’t have guessed Iggy to outlast the other two.
    I remember Lou been kind of snob that night.. but yeah it was super line up, especially for Greece..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    edited February 2021
    brianlux said:

love Fripp. glad I got to see him on the King Crimson 50th anniversary tour.
    brianlux said:

love Fripp. glad I got to see him on the King Crimson 50th anniversary tour.

Very cool, Kenny!
    I got to see them at the Berkeley Greek theater in 8/13 82.  What a show!  And while we were standing outside waiting to get in, we could hear Fripp doing his sound check and his incredible runs and flurries of notes wafting up into the sky made the hair on my arms stand up.  It was awesome!

love this. Robert Fripp Gets The Call From David Bowie

Breaking down David Bowie's 'Heroes' – Tony Visconti & Erin Tonkon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q2scPrc1WE
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I also caught Bowie on the serious moonlight tour. 15th row Hartford Civic Center 1983.  I always liked the hits but never could go deep on any of his records. That show was a top five performance for me. Caught him two times after that. Good shows, but not quite the grandeur of moonlight tour. The man was amazing. Certain things you remember forever.  Bowie kicking the globe into the crowd during space oddity, singing ashes to ashes in the plastic column rotating around the stage, and the balloons dropping from the ceiling during Modern Love are things I will never forget!  I still have the balloon around here somewhere.
    blessed to get this parting gift.    ain't that just like me

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    Sweeeet! Thank you for posting that.
    Get_Right said:
    I also caught Bowie on the serious moonlight tour. 15th row Hartford Civic Center 1983.  I always liked the hits but never could go deep on any of his records. That show was a top five performance for me. Caught him two times after that. Good shows, but not quite the grandeur of moonlight tour. The man was amazing. Certain things you remember forever.  Bowie kicking the globe into the crowd during space oddity, singing ashes to ashes in the plastic column rotating around the stage, and the balloons dropping from the ceiling during Modern Love are things I will never forget!  I still have the balloon around here somewhere.
    Love this recap of your show that tour! I saw it too, and I don't have any memory of him in the plastic column for Ashes to Ashes, I need to look for pics of that and jog my memory.  But I remember it was an electric show!
    I never did see Bowie live.  Rats! 
    But my brother saw him during the Ziggy Stardust tour (either 1971 or '73), front row seats.  Can you imagine?!  He said it was absolutely glorious.  No doubt!

I may be more jealous of your brother than anyone else ever. Seriously? Front row seats to the tour & show I always say I'd go back to and attend if I had a time machine?  Tell your brother I'm mad at him for being so lucky!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    JH6056 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Love this recap of your show that tour! I saw it too, and I don't have any memory of him in the plastic column for Ashes to Ashes, I need to look for pics of that and jog my memory.  But I remember it was an electric show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFff3sJ6dG4

Crappy video but you get the idea.  Not much out there. I swear it was moving around the stage at the Hartford show  ;)
    Such a perfect blend of music and theater.
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    Serious Moonlight 1983 and yes it was glorious 😎
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

JH6056 said:
    I may be more jealous of your brother than anyone else ever. Seriously? Front row seats to the tour & show I always say I'd go back to and attend if I had a time machine?  Tell your brother I'm mad at him for being so lucky!

LOL, sorry JH, it's a true story! 
    Whenever I tell him how envious I am of his seeing that show he says, "Yeah but you got to see both Hendrix AND The Who in '68".
    "Yeah, Bro.  Fair enough!"
    :lol:

• vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:

LOL, sorry JH, it's a true story! 
    Whenever I tell him how envious I am of his seeing that show he says, "Yeah but you got to see both Hendrix AND The Who in '68".
    "Yeah, Bro.  Fair enough!"
    :lol:
    Forever jealous😎
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003