MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Raise the Mound might be worth trying. Even if they first try it in the Minors?
  • cutz said:
    Raise the Mound might be worth trying. Even if they first try it in the Minors?
    I've been wanting them to do this for YEARS!  Even mentioned it on here.  I like a good pitchers battle so i am in a fringe minority when it comes to that and understand if it isn't exciting to other people.
    edited February 2021
    Fernando Tatis Jr. 14/$340 MILLION !
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    State of California 14/$170 Million!  At least until Tatis gets traded once the Padres start sucking again.

Very exciting upcoming year for the Padres.  It would have been interesting if Bauer would have signed there.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    edited February 2021
    Although I think pro players have to pay taxes based on where games they played ... I think.  So if you played for the Marlins with no state income tax, NY would hit you up for games played in NY.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Jason P said:
    Although I think pro players have to pay taxes based on where games they played ... I think.  So if you played for the Marlins with no state income tax, NY would hit you up for games played in NY.
    That would make sense - still play half games in FL.  What other states do not collect taxes?  Texas?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    WTF? is the NL we$t turning into the AL ea$t?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Jason P said:
    That would make sense - still play half games in FL.  What other states do not collect taxes?  Texas?

there are five others. WA is the only other with a MLB team. for NFL/MLB/NHL, you can add NV and TN.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wobbie said:
    Jason P said:

there are five others. WA is the only other with a MLB team. for NFL/MLB/NHL, you can add NV and TN.

Good research!
    So if you play in TX or WA and have Mariners, Astros, or Rangers in your division....and potentially have games in Tampa and Miami, that seems the best you can make out to avoid paying those taxes.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    yes.  more games in states with favorable tax = better than
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The Padres rule
    The Padres rule

fuck them.

but fuck the d**gers harder.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    Just go with the universal DH
    I miss igotid88
  • Jason P said:
    State of California 14/$170 Million!  At least until Tatis gets traded once the Padres start sucking again.

Very exciting upcoming year for the Padres.  It would have been interesting if Bauer would have signed there.
    They shouldn't be sucking for years to come.  They've got some serious talent in the pipes.  MacKenzie Gore is coming up this year I believe?
    ^^^HAHAHA^^^ and it's TRUE ! ^^^
    igotid88 said:
    get rid of the DH

fixed

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Dumbest rule of spring...."rolling over" innings.
    The managers can decide when an inning is done.
    Fuck this
    Reds vs Dodgers tonight on MLB TV
    First two innings Reds have two outs and guys on base, I believe on 3rd....and Dodgers decide the innings are over.
    2-0 when it could have been 4-0 or any other score.

Makes Spring Training an even bigger fucking joke.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Please don't come to Arizona for spring break.  Keep your grubby COVID faces at home!  Ha!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Fuck this
    First two innings Reds have two outs and guys on base, I believe on 3rd....and Dodgers decide the innings are over.

DIdn't know that was a thing.  Wow, that's incredibly dumb!
    mca47 said:
    Please don't come to Arizona for spring break.  Keep your grubby COVID faces at home!  Ha!

All those Texas folks are coming your way!    (At least the Florida people should mostly watch ball there.)
    mca47 said:
    Fuck this

DIdn't know that was a thing.  Wow, that's incredibly dumb!

So, out of curiosity I checked the box score this AM.
    It gets worse....

1st inning -- Dodgers call it w/2 outs, Reds have men on 2nd and 3rd
    2nd inning -- Dodgers call it w/2 outs, Reds have men on 1st and 3rd
    6th inning -- Reds call it w/2 outs, Dodgers have a man on 2nd.
    7th inning -- Dodgers call it w/2 outs, Reds have a man on 1st.  (This is only a 7 inning game and it was tied 4-4!!)

Bottom of the 7th, Dodgers put men on 1st and 3rd.  Tie game.  2 outs.  Reds pitch, Dodgers fly out.
    There is absolutely ZERO change if I were the Reds manager that I would not have called the game with guys on 1st and 3rd and 2 outs.  Why give the Dodgers a chance to score? 

Total fucking joke.  Spring training means less than nothing, they should stop selling tickets.  Let the fans in for free if they are not going to at least try to play some baseball.

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Since it's just a spring training rule, I'm neutral about it. I don't know what the prevailing wisdom is for using this rule, but if I was a manager I would use it strictly to keep pitch counts low, especially for younger pitchers.
    Since it's just a spring training rule, I'm neutral about it. I don't know what the prevailing wisdom is for using this rule, but if I was a manager I would use it strictly to keep pitch counts low, especially for younger pitchers.
    Supposedly to keep pitchers safe if they suck during an inning.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    It's all part of the cancel culture society we live in.  The managers are now "cancelling" the innings... =)
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    What MLB teams have not won the World Series? I think I asked this last year, but I forgot. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    What MLB teams have not won the World Series? I think I asked this last year, but I forgot. 
    I know the Tampa Bay Rays and Colorado Rockies have never won a WS. I don't think the Seattle Mariners have won one either. There are probably a few more, but not sure.
    Quick Google search revealed that in addition to those 3, the Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, and Texas Rangers have never won a WS.