Neil Young & Pearl Jam - Mirror Ball Live Movie

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    NewJPage said:
    I sure hope this gets a Bluray or UHD release...

I hope it does not just get a DVD release like his latest two releases (Rustbucket and Young Shakespeare)

Did any new video pop up from it, or is all we have seen the Throw your hatred down clip from a few weeks ago?
    If it was just recorded with VHS cameras and they don't have hd audio files then it won't make a difference. 

Technically it does.  DVD suffers from digital compression.   When you put a DVD on a big screen you see it.  While you won't get address resolution with a bluray, at least it doesn't suffer from digital compression on a big tv.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2021
    NewJPage said:
    I sure hope this gets a Bluray or UHD release...

I hope it does not just get a DVD release like his latest two releases (Rustbucket and Young Shakespeare)

Did any new video pop up from it, or is all we have seen the Throw your hatred down clip from a few weeks ago?
    If it was just recorded with VHS cameras and they don't have hd audio files then it won't make a difference. 
    Not completely true. 

Also, this concert was shot on 35mm.

Meaning:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    goldrush said:
    demetrios said:
    Tempted to buy that ‘Way Down In The Rust Bucket’ set.

"Now available on Vinyl, CD, DVD, Deluxe box sets, and hi-res download in the NYA Xstream store."

Hope this Mirrorball Live 2021 release will have THAT kind of treatment too.

Rust Bucket is well worth it, it’s an amazing set.

Return To Greendale had a similar box release too. A vinyl, CD, and DVD box set of Mirror Ball Live would be unreal. 

Unreal indeed. Can't wait to see what they will give us.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited February 2021
    I have a feeling it’s gonna be similar to these last 3 live records. 

Stand alone and then a box of the LPs/CD/DVD
  • BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    How’s the rust bucket dvd? Anybody watch?

Stand alone and then a box of the LPs/CD/BD
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    How’s the rust bucket dvd? Anybody watch?
    https://youtu.be/Bptgc_q0GMM
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 691
     =) 
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811

I was wondering if Neil Young is the sole owner of the live music from the Mirrorball tour? Wouldn’t Epic/Sony/Pearl Jam possibly have an interest?

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• How’s the rust bucket dvd? Anybody watch?
    https://youtu.be/Bptgc_q0GMM
    Been watching all week. Great performance. Quality is VHS-level though. Glad I just bought the CDs (which come with hi res dl if purchased from greedy hand). Once it’s off NYA I probably won’t want or need to watch it again. But will definitely listen many more times. 
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
    edwho said:

I was wondering if Neil Young is the sole owner of the live music from the Mirrorball tour? Wouldn’t Epic/Sony/Pearl Jam possibly have an interest?

No. I’m fact Sony didn’t want PJ advertised as being on the record. 

Only interest PJ gets from the record is publishing. 

• KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Based on the history of the past 3 live records, when can we expect the Mirrorball releases?

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
    edited March 2021
    Unknown.

He has a massively packed year. Another live LP (Young Shakespeare) will be out in a few weeks. Then 6 live albums (old audience bootlegs repurposed with his own recordings) in April or May. Then a 4LP album reissue box in June,another in August and another in November (basically the 80s, skipping the Geffen years and going straight up into the early 90s). That November box set, SHOULD include Mirrorball. He said soon after every box set is released, there will be stand alone pressings of albums in that box set.

So Mirrorball the album will be out by itself sometime after November. When the live record will drop is anyone's guess. He also has a Crazy Horse live album lined up for Oct/November as well. Its possible he may time Mirrorball live to drop around the time of the set, or around the time of the stand alone reissues, or at a random time. He is hoping to have Archives Vol. 3 out sometime early in the new year, so I'm guessing there won't be many releases around then so that is the main focus. 

On top of that, he's Neil Young and plans change day to day. Nothing is set, until there is a pre-order (because of long production lead times)

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edwho said:

Ok, thanks for the reply. Just trying to understand ownership here. So Pearl Jam members were just hired hands, the backing band.

Surfing this subject I found out Neil Young just sold 50% of his ownership rights to an investment fund. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/08/954788608/investment-firm-buys-rights-to-neil-youngs-music-catalog

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Unknown.

He has a massively packed year. Another live LP (Young Shakespeare) will be out in a few weeks. Then 6 live albums (old audience bootlegs repurposed with his own recordings) in April or May. Then a 4LP album reissue box in June,another in August and another in November (basically the 80s, skipping the Geffen years and going straight up into the early 90s). That November box set, SHOULD include Mirrorball. He said soon after every box set is released, there will be stand alone pressings of albums in that box set.

So Mirrorball the album will be out by itself sometime after November. When the live record will drop is anyone's guess. He also has a Crazy Horse live album lined up for Oct/November as well. Its possible he may time Mirrorball live to drop around the time of the set, or around the time of the stand alone reissues, or at a random time. He is hoping to have Archives Vol. 3 out sometime early in the new year, so I'm guessing there won't be many releases around then so that is the main focus. 

On top of that, he's Neil Young and plans change day to day. Nothing is set, until there is a pre-order (because of long production lead times)

This makes my head spin. 
    edited March 2021
    edwho said:
    edwho said:

Ok, thanks for the reply. Just trying to understand ownership here. So Pearl Jam members were just hired hands, the backing band.

Eddie Vedder has a writing credit on the album. But Sony didn't allow "Pearl Jam" to be used on Mirrorball, with it being recorded and released through another label. 

Wasn't that also why the Merkinball-songs were released as a single, and not included on the album? Seems the plan was to have it be more of a "Neil Young X Pearl Jam" thing. The original logo incorporated "PJ". 

For many reasons this exact version of the art did not wind up on the front cover. Columbia Records was very uptight about the name of their premier act, Pearl Jam, showing up on an album cover put out by their competitor Warner Brothers Records. They wouldn’t allow it. So, I came up with what was meant to be a clever way around them by making the central motif of the letters NY and then backwards (mirrored) letters of PJ so as not to be obviously Pearl Jam. I also have the names of Neil Young and Pearl Jam subtly repeated in the flames surrounding the central motif. It didn’t work! I had to change the artwork to be NY and mirrored (backwards) type NY in the central motif and I made the name Neil Young by itself repeating in the flames. 

Also, Neil said before the tour they did in -95 that "I will sing their songs, and Eddie will sing mine" - Eddie did not join that tour so this did not happen. Would have been interesting to see how that tour would have  been different if Eddie would have been there - as a second vocalist etc.
    edwho said:
    edwho said:

Eddie Vedder has a writing credit on the album. But Sony didn't allow "Pearl Jam" to be used on Mirrorball, with it being recorded and released through another label. 

I understand now. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

I lived this music. Love it. Want more!

But was thinking maybe Mr. Young has been using the PJ fan base to demonstrate massive interest in a possible future release, for possible future investors. I don’t mind being used for this as long as the material is released eventually. Everybody must eat, pay bills and gas up the private jet :) 

If we were used. And it worked big. I suggest a preorder for 10club members for an affordable special edition Mirrorball Stream/ Blu-ray (autographed & numbered) bundle :):) 

Spiritual_Chaos said: 
     The original logo incorporated "PJ". 

Like that a lot! 

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

edited March 2021
    edwho said:
    edwho said:
    edwho said:

But was thinking maybe Mr. Young has been using the PJ fan base to demonstrate massive interest in a possible future release, for possible future investors. I don’t mind being used for this as long as the material is released eventually. Everybody must eat, pay bills and gas up the private jet :) 

If we were used. And it worked big. I suggest a preorder for 10club members for an affordable special edition Mirrorball Stream/ Blu-ray (autographed & numbered) bundle :):) 

Spiritual_Chaos said: 

Like that a lot! 

Probably not. He’s got a big and dedicated fan base too. Plus it’s just songwriting publishing rights that he sold, not his masters. 
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Unknown.

You. Are. A. Wealth. Of. NY. Knowledge.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
    There’s a great NY thread in Other Music and there are dudes there that know way more than me. I just have a good brain for remembering shit I want to buy. 
    edited March 2021
    edwho said:
    edwho said:
    edwho said:

Spiritual_Chaos said: 

Like that a lot! 
    Yes should be used for the live release (but flipped to be the original vision of it):

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,841
    Without trawling through all of the thread, is this sort of thing normally a wide release or you have to be signed up to some website or fan club? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    edited March 2021
    Wide release. 

But get in on a pre-order when one goes up. Neils stuff is limited insomuch as WB does one big run, then its OOP for a period (sometimes months, sometimes years). Maybe a PJ associated release would have a larger run and a quicker repress than say his current Rust Bucket 4LP set, but its possible they may drag their feet for a repress. 

To be clear, there will probably be enough to go around, but don't wait on getting it.  Put aside $100 in the late Fall.

To be clear, there will probably be enough to go around, but don't wait on getting it.  Put aside $100 in the late Fall.

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    My guess is 2022 for mirrorball live. He's got a lot of things in front of it in line
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    Yeah. I can see a first half of the year release. Probably timed with the the ORS Box 6 stand alone reissues.

edited March 2021
    I hope the final movie looks way better than the clip Neil had on his site. Granted it was showing in sub-SD resolution for me. But didn't look very exciting (Throw your hatred down).
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    So, do I need to sign up for a subscription to get the Live in Dublin Mirrorball Album if it comes out, or will it be released to retail?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    It will be available in retail. 

The only subscription service he has is HD streaming audio of his archives (all his records plus unreleased music and soon, bootlegs)