Driving While Stoned

124»

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mace1229 said:
    When colorado first legalized it there was a spike in hospital cases from thc overdoses. People started smoking again who hadn’t in 20-30 years and didn’t realize this stuff is stronger than what they did in high school, or just didn’t monitor how much they were eating.
    So what’s the difference between marijuana overdose and poisoning then?  Seems like interchangeable terms to me. And seems like something that people can relatively easily overdose on would also be considered a poison. I say relatively easily just in case someone wants to point out you can techincally over dose on water or milk, but that is extremely difficult by comparison.
    LMFAO.  They did not OD.  Likely novice users took too much weed...

It’s not poison, it’s been growing on earth naturally and has been used for 1000’s of years.  Your views are outdated, ignorant and very pathetic...

also keeping it illegal was a racist policy since blacks and 1st nation were the primary users when the it was banned.

hey but at least whitey allowed you your alcohol while they were tossing minorities in jail with unfair sentences for cannabis use...

There are poisonous things in nature.
    Not saying weed is poison, just that the logic shared is flawed.
    I know there is...but people would notice have consumed it for 1000s of year if it was poison...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited February 2021
    mace1229 said:
    When colorado first legalized it there was a spike in hospital cases from thc overdoses. People started smoking again who hadn’t in 20-30 years and didn’t realize this stuff is stronger than what they did in high school, or just didn’t monitor how much they were eating.
    So what’s the difference between marijuana overdose and poisoning then?  Seems like interchangeable terms to me. And seems like something that people can relatively easily overdose on would also be considered a poison. I say relatively easily just in case someone wants to point out you can techincally over dose on water or milk, but that is extremely difficult by comparison.

It’s not poison, it’s been growing on earth naturally and has been used for 1000’s of years.  Your views are outdated, ignorant and very pathetic...

also keeping it illegal was a racist policy since blacks and 1st nation were the primary users when the it was banned.

hey but at least whitey allowed you your alcohol while they were tossing minorities in jail with unfair sentences for cannabis use...
    Go eat a bunch of oleander leaves. They grow along the 5 and 99 freeway in California. It’s nature, so them being poisonous is a lie, you’ll be fine. 

I never said they died. An overdose happens you take too much of something and you get violently sick and need medical care.  Many people got sick from too much pot and went to the ER. That’s funny to you? And ignorant and outdated to say too much weed is bad and can make you sock? 
    Maybe F-Me was right and a lot of those were just having a freak out. But that article, and many others I’ve read or heard
    over the years, specifically state eating too many edibles. It was a frequent story the first year it was legal. But too say you can’t overdose on marijuana isn’t accurate. Calling someone ignorant and outdated for saying that is just that. Especially after they claim things from nature can’t be poisonous. Are you really not familiar with opium and many other drugs, and countless poisonous plants? Many that have been used for thousands of years.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    notice right in the link it says edibles. which from what I've read, effects you differently
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mickeyrat said:
    notice right in the link it says edibles. which from what I've read, effects you differently
    Yes, I also pointed that out too. But that was my response to people laughing at the possibility of ODing on marijuana. Edibles or not, you can get very sick and require medical treatment when consuming too much. Also, not all cases were edibles. That meets the definition of ODing to me.
    I didn’t criticize it. Never said it’s worse than alcohol. Just made a comment. And after being called outdated and ignorant for it, I’m defending it. Not sure why, the person who made the comment also said plants can’t be poisonous and harmful, so not really worth defending.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’ll say one thing: Even if I were able to drive now, there’s no way would I do it high. I use daily and heavily, and times in the car with my husband - or even Uber - I’m happy not to worry about my reaction time or other effects.

Wouldn’t be fair to myself or to others.

I say this as an alcoholic who, shamefully in retrospect, drove short (read:rationalized) distances while somewhere between tipsy and drunk. I’d have deserved anything the law threw at me had I been pulled over. 
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Yes, I also pointed that out too. But that was my response to people laughing at the possibility of ODing on marijuana. Edibles or not, you can get very sick and require medical treatment when consuming too much. Also, not all cases were edibles. That meets the definition of ODing to me.
    I didn’t criticize it. Never said it’s worse than alcohol. Just made a comment. And after being called outdated and ignorant for it, I’m defending it. Not sure why, the person who made the comment also said plants can’t be poisonous and harmful, so not really worth defending.

I dont recall mention of edibles as a cause whem od was first mentioned
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

One doctor vs. the DEA: Inside the battle to study marijuana in America

Until your archaic government moves out of people’s way it will be a long ways to prove cannabis is extremely beneficial...

id rather hang with a stoner than a drunk...at least the stoner won’t start a fight because someone gave him the google eyes....and stoners aren’t likely beating their kids and spouses because they had 1 to many joints.

Give Peas A Chance…
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Are the streets of North America homeless lined with cannabis users or are they lined with opiate users?  We all no the answers.  Who created that the crisis...pharmaceutical company, the government and doctors...all legal.

How many millions have died from that shot.

yeah, I’m going to believe doctors about cannabis.  With cannabis there is no pharmaceutical companies lining doctors pockets...

My own doctor freely admits his colleagues are a big part of the problem by over prescribing opiates.  My doctor was one of the very 1st in my area to prescribe Cannabis, has very struct policy with opiates and offers people the cannabis option 1st.  My doc is in his 70s but cares deeply for his patients...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    This is not a thread to debate Booze vs Weed or Weed vs Opiates....or the non-driving behaviors of people who consume too much of a mind altering substance.

Feel free to start a thread glorifying the consumption of cannabis and crapping on any other activities.  All for it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited February 2021
    in my early 20's I drove high probably a few times a week. Not super out of my mind high (probably a few times, but more than likely I was the stupid passenger rather than the idiot driver), but my band would jam at a buddy's and always be stoned during that, and then eventually I'd have to drive home, about a 20 minute drive. 

for me, in most instances, it wasn't the intoxication, really, it was more the post-stoned tiredness. like driving on 2 hours sleep every time. I'm one of those people that has never been able to smoke before near the end of the evening. I have a buddy who to this day still smokes at all hours, breakfast lunch and dinner and beyond. And he functions somehow. I can't. I need a nap. 

much worse was my girlfriend and I were at a party....we were buzzed, but not super drunk. we went to leave the party (two doors down from my parents' house), and fell asleep in the running vehicle (outside). we woke up and I knew we couldn't go into my parents house that late, so we drove to her parents out of town. I wasn't drunk, I was tired AF. And I fell asleep at the wheel, in the winter, on the highway. I woke up as we near-missed a tree. the car had to be towed the next day, and thawed out (the engine was full of snow). We had to hitchhike in rural Manitoba at 3am in the middle of the prairie winter. no cell phones or anything. 

that was an eye opener. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    This is not a thread to debate Booze vs Weed or Weed vs Opiates....or the non-driving behaviors of people who consume too much of a mind altering substance.

Feel free to start a thread glorifying the consumption of cannabis and crapping on any other activities.  All for it.
    It is unfortunate that some must demonize and further stigmatize alcohol and opiate dependence to support their position on cannabis. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    I've heared Toonces was a big fan of the left handed cigarettes.
    Saturday Night Live Forty-One Years of Backstage Secrets from the Man Who  Lived Them  Saturday night live Best snl skits Small wild cats

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    FiveBelow said:
    I've heared Toonces was a big fan of the left handed cigarettes.
    Saturday Night Live Forty-One Years of Backstage Secrets from the Man Who  Lived Them  Saturday night live Best snl skits Small wild cats

:lol: Toonces had way more than 9 lives. He went over that cliff every single time.

• I tried it once years ago. Fuckin stupid.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I feel like OD'ing is basically taking drugs to the point where you would die without medical intervention. 

I don't think that happens with marijuana.   I don't think too much marijuana can kill you.  I think it just makes you uncomfortably high.  I'm not even sure what a hospital can do if you show up too high.   Is there a treatment, or do they just let you ride it out and give you some fluids?

To keep in the spirit of the thread od'ing or being uncomfortably high behind the wheel is not good.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mace1229 said:

"Your views are outdated, ignorant and very pathetic..."
    Come on man, is that really necessary?  And what do expect to gain by saying that to someone?

Depending on how you define "OD", I would say you can overdose on marijuana.  If by OD you mean die, OK, unlikely.  But I ate too much marijuana brownie once and was really freaked out, vomiting, dizzy, shaking, really, really fucked up.  That, I would say, was overdosing.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

noun
    over·​dose
     | \ ˈō-vər-ˌdōs  \

Collegiate Definition (Entry 1 of 2)

• 1: too great a dose (as of a therapeutic agent)
      also : a lethal or toxic amount (as of a drug)
    • 2: an excessive quantity or amountan overdose of fun
    verb
    over·​dose
     | \ ˌō-vər-ˈdōs  \
    over​dosedover​dos​ingover​dos​es

Collegiate Definition (Entry 2 of 2)

Other Words
    Noun
    • over​dos​age \ ˌō-vər-ˈdō-sij  \ noun
    Examples
    Noun
    • She died from a cocaine overdose.
    First Known Use
    Noun
    1700, in the meaning defined at sense 1
    Verb
    1700, in the meaning defined at transitive sense

• kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    It's a tricky thing. When I was a regular smoker, I drove high all the time, and never had an incident. When my buddy Shayne and I took turns driving to Alpine Valley in Wisconsin (for PJ20) all the way from Portsmouth NH, we were toking up every few hours.  But when I was a young adult I was afraid to drive high, and now that I rarely get high, I don't think I would drive high either. What makes it much different from driving drunk is you're aware of your ability to drive or not.

CNN did a pretty good report on this years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1HavgoK9E
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I'm glad you never had any issues but I don't agree with driving while high, regardless of how often someone gets stoned.

Just because someone doesn't have crashes and thinks they are able to drive does not mean that they do not suffer from slower reaction time or other other unsafe results from being under the influence.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm glad you never had any issues but I don't agree with driving while high, regardless of how often someone gets stoned.

Just because someone doesn't have crashes and thinks they are able to drive does not mean that they do not suffer from slower reaction time or other other unsafe results from being under the influence.

Granted I smoke much more now, but there are times when I’m in a car and know I couldn’t do it myself...safely.

And smoking IN the car? Noooo. Stupidly tried that in my early 20s and got pulled over by a motorcycle officer for expired tags. I’d literally exhaled just before her lights went on. She was surly, too. 

It was a sobering enough event that I never pulled that nonsense again.  
    The bottom line is no one should drive intoxicated under any circumstances,  But to keep something banned just because the government has not figured out how to properly detect high drivers is also not right...eventually there will be reliable testing mechanisms...
    Give Peas A Chance…