POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of LED ZEPPELIN OPENING TRACKS - ROUND 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited February 2021 in Other Music
Ok, so I haven't done one of these in a LONG time (I did the original TEN poll in 2017)..(wow time flies), but another thread put this poll idea in my head. So I thought since we hadn't done one like this before, we can see how this one goes.

Alright, so here is a great game that we can play to determine the GREATEST opening song of the LED ZEPPELIN album discography.

You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) songs with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 2.

Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times
Led Zeppelin II - Whole Lotta Love
Led Zeppelin III - Immigrant Song
Untitled - Black Dog
Houses of the Holy - The Song Remains The Same
Physical Graffiti - Custard Pie
Presence - Achilles Last Stand
In Through the Out Door - In The Evening

We will not include CODA - We're Gonna Groove..... since it was essentially a rarities compilation album..

Round 1 Poll will end 2/21/21 at 8:00cst

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of LED ZEPPELIN OPENING TRACKS - ROUND 1 36 votes

Good Times Bad Times
2%
Gern Blansten 1 vote
Whole Lotta Love
2%
mrussel1 1 vote
Immigrant Song
0%
Black Dog
8%
hauntingfamiliarjoe159SmallestOceans 3 votes
The Song Remains The Same
8%
goldrushtbergsBLACK35 3 votes
Custard Pie
41%
2-feign-reluctancePonciermfc2006Hawk123BIGDaddyWilTim SimmonsjoberschlakeGlowGirldankindeeriepadavebrianluxHobbespetted101ultrapigGlorified KC 15 votes
Achilles Last Stand
0%
In The Evening
36%
Edved82cutzdudemanBrainofBGApledgeagrievanceRS151862Guy DudebroAbe Fromaned243421nicknyr15F Me In The Brain1ThoughtKnownhihobibo 13 votes
Post edited by MedozK on

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    In The Evening
    Sweet.  Gonna be some tough choices.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • In The Evening
    Tough one 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    Custard Pie
    You all who voted for In The Evening are nuts!! Hahaha!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,026
    Custard Pie
    They are all amazing openers!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Custard Pie
    Love these threads!
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    Custard Pie
    The Immigrant Song is the most underrated in Zeppelin’s catalog.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,291
    wish I could play...   
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • In The Evening
    Those voting for Custard Pie, have you listened to the track lately? It’s incredible 
    each opener telegraphs quite well I think, a good sense of the feel of the rest of that album

there isnt a weakest
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,248
    In The Evening
    This is a nearly impossible vote, as all these songs are rock classics. I voted for In The Evening and hated doing it!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mickeyrat said:
    each opener telegraphs quite well I think, a good sense of the feel of the rest of that album

there isnt a weakest
    I agree, ALL great tracks. I figured this one would be a very hard one for a lot of people. Just wait till we get to the final four.
    MedozK said:
    mickeyrat said:

there isnt a weakest
    I agree, ALL great tracks. I figured this one would be a very hard one for a lot of people. Just wait till we get to the final four.

shoulda had a choice for "cant do it, its like voting for which child you love the least"

• Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    Custard Pie
    Those voting for Custard Pie, have you listened to the track lately? It’s incredible 
    Honestly I would not have felt 100% on voting for any of these.  I love all of the opening tracks.  I keep hearing Custard Pie in my head now and am rethinking my vote.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    In The Evening
    MedozK said:
    mickeyrat said:

there isnt a weakest
    It was easy this round, between two songs and after a listen to them both I picked what I picked.
    Gonna be so different the next few picks, never mind the end.
    As always this is a fantastic reason to listen with intent to some great music.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    Good Times Bad Times
    In the Evening is one of their best songs.  You people are insane.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    In The Evening
    Listened to them all again today.  I'm good with my choice.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Custard Pie
    The songs in this poll would make on hell of an album.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    The songs in this poll would make on hell of an album.

huh. might have to playlist that. arrange in order of release...

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    Custard Pie
    Hobbes said:
    Love these threads!
    yeah, although this one is gonna be tough.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    One more day for voting in Round 1. Looks like this was an easy one.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    Whole Lotta Love
    No way, this wasn't easy.  All these people hitting In the evening and Custard Pie are crazy.  While Whole Lotta Love is a good song, I think it's probably the weakest on II. Or my least favorite, better said. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    Whole Lotta Love
    Honestly I would not have felt 100% on voting for any of these.  I love all of the opening tracks.  I keep hearing Custard Pie in my head now and am rethinking my vote.
    I went to high school with a girl whose last name was Custard and was shall we say.. friendly.  I'm ashamed to admit this song was often sung rambunctiously around the old campfire. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Custard Pie
    This will get a lot easier as we go along, right?

Wrong!!! :tongue:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,248
    In The Evening
    I'm glad that nobody's voted for Achilles Last Stand.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    The Song Remains The Same
    In the end, Achilles will stand triumphant. Perfect song.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Custard Pie
    tbergs said:
    Horseshit! 

If it’s not “Immigrant Song,” then this poll is as big a fraud as the “Stairway” vs. “When the Levee Breaks” debacle. 

And don’t get me going again on the absurd treatment “Idiot Wind” received. 

:perturbed:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    Horseshit! 

If it’s not “Immigrant Song,” then this poll is as big a fraud as the “Stairway” vs. “When the Levee Breaks” debacle. 

And don’t get me going again on the absurd treatment “Idiot Wind” received. 

:perturbed:
    Haha, we need to open up that old thread.
    In The Evening
    As I was reading Dankind's response I immediately thought of the Idiot Wind vote....and then he mentioned it.

No way that Achilles last Stand is tops, in my book....but we will need to see how everyone else feels.  
    In The Evening
    Also...Good Times got a vote.  :angry:

The very first song the world on their very first record.  A contender....
    Also...Good Times got a vote.  :angry:

The very first song the world on their very first record.  A contender....

INSANITY!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.