2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• 23scidoo said:
    So I wanted to talk about the Nets.  I said "No way this will work".

Well I'm going to eat those words.  The team apparently isn't all ball hoggish and found a way to play together.  Watching them all play is amazing.

The Knicks are another surprising team that has learned to play together and will all play defense.  They are actually fun to watch also.
    Told you about Knicks, they play better every night..
    the Nets, if Harden keep passing like this, they have future..
    I live in NY so I know all about them.  I have also mentioned that if they make the playoffs they will be an early exit too.

Spot on with Harden and passing.  he and Kyrie discussed their roles and it really does work, now if they learn to play better D?  Would be very interesting.

Everyone that is high on the Jazz needs to pump the brakes too.  Come playoff time this team isn't really built to go to a finals.

I think the days of the little engine that could type of Detroit team from the early 2000's and win a chip are gone.
    But there have never been "days of little engines that could's." Detroit was just the exception to the rule. 

Utah is real good. Everyone on that team can shoot and Goebert is one of the best defenders in the league. I think they have a shot. 
    Draw Goebert away from the paint and he is useless.  In the paint he is a friggin menace.  Dude is so long he has great shot blocking ability.

Other Little engines that could that come to mind are Lebrons first Cavs final, Iversons run, Mavs only title.  I know there are more but those are off the top of my head.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,215
    edited February 2021
    23scidoo said:

Well I'm going to eat those words.  The team apparently isn't all ball hoggish and found a way to play together.  Watching them all play is amazing.

The Knicks are another surprising team that has learned to play together and will all play defense.  They are actually fun to watch also.
    I live in NY so I know all about them.  I have also mentioned that if they make the playoffs they will be an early exit too.

Spot on with Harden and passing.  he and Kyrie discussed their roles and it really does work, now if they learn to play better D?  Would be very interesting.

Everyone that is high on the Jazz needs to pump the brakes too.  Come playoff time this team isn't really built to go to a finals.

I think the days of the little engine that could type of Detroit team from the early 2000's and win a chip are gone.
    But there have never been "days of little engines that could's." Detroit was just the exception to the rule. 

Utah is real good. Everyone on that team can shoot and Goebert is one of the best defenders in the league. I think they have a shot. 
    Draw Goebert away from the paint and he is useless.  In the paint he is a friggin menace.  Dude is so long he has great shot blocking ability.

Other Little engines that could that come to mind are Lebrons first Cavs final, Iversons run, Mavs only title.  I know there are more but those are off the top of my head.
    Ehhh....those are exceptions and other than Dallas, didn't win anything. Plus they all had at least one superstar. Detroit is the only team I can think of in my entire life who won a championship without a superstar.  
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,215
    23scidoo said:

Ehhh....those are exceptions and other than Dallas, didn't win anything. Plus they all had at least one superstar. Detroit is the only team I can think of in my entire life who won a championship without a superstar.  

This weekend we rock Portland
  • 23scidoo said:

Rip,  Rasheed and Ben were far from being no names...  But I still call them the Little Engine.  A bunch of blue collar hustlers.
    edited February 2021
    There is a huge difference between "not being a no name" and being a superstar though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • There is a huge difference between "not being a no name" and being a superstar though. 
    100%.  Sheed was a star at one time, Rip was asked to represent Team Jordan and Wallace was a defensive player multiple years.  If Detroit was east or west coast they may have been received better?

These guys were a little engine w players that were quite good but no superstar love.
    There is a huge difference between "not being a no name" and being a superstar though. 
    100%.  Sheed was a star at one time, Rip was asked to represent Team Jordan and Wallace was a defensive player multiple years.  If Detroit was east or west coast they may have been received better?

These guys were a little engine w players that were quite good but no superstar love.
    I don't think Rasheed Wallace was ever a superstar though. He was a damn good player for a long time. But when I think "superstar," I think top 10ish player in the league. I don't think he was ever that good. 

Of course I am biased because he once spurned the three time national champion Villanova Wildcats for some scrub team out of North Carolina... but that's neither here, there, nor over yonder. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • There is a huge difference between "not being a no name" and being a superstar though. 

I don't think Rasheed Wallace was ever a superstar though. He was a damn good player for a long time. But when I think "superstar," I think top 10ish player in the league. I don't think he was ever that good. 

Of course I am biased because he once spurned the three time national champion Villanova Wildcats for some scrub team out of North Carolina... but that's neither here, there, nor over yonder. 
    No you are completely right on Sheed.  I loved watching him play in those AF1's, lol.  I remember watching when he got those stitches on his head.
    Same goes for Wallace and Rip.  Loved watching them play.  They had a basketball players respect so to me they were stars.  They played the game right.

No you are completely right on Sheed.  I loved watching him play in those AF1's, lol.  I remember watching when he got those stitches on his head.
    Same goes for Wallace and Rip.  Loved watching them play.  They had a basketball players respect so to me they were stars.  They played the game right.
    Yeah that was just before sneezing on someone constituted a flagrant one. 

I was thinking about this earlier actually. I miss the old days of physical basketball like when Sheed played and earlier in the 90's and 80's. I think the game was better overall in those days. However, I LOVE the spacing of today's game and it like how the game flows better with guys spread out utilizing the three point shot. Wish we could have a hybrid of both the physicality and the utilization of the three pointer. Would be basketball nirvana to me!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Its funny to see this back and forth about the Pistons and neither one of you mentions Chauncy Billups, aka Mr. Big Shot, who was finals MVP.
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    None of those Pistons players were superstars. They were really good players, but not superstar level.

• Poncier said:
    Its funny to see this back and forth about the Pistons and neither one of you mentions Chauncy Billups, aka Mr. Big Shot, who was finals MVP.
    Another hard nosed player.  Out of all on that winning team not a one will make it in to the Hall which is sad.

Yeah that was just before sneezing on someone constituted a flagrant one. 

I was thinking about this earlier actually. I miss the old days of physical basketball like when Sheed played and earlier in the 90's and 80's. I think the game was better overall in those days. However, I LOVE the spacing of today's game and it like how the game flows better with guys spread out utilizing the three point shot. Wish we could have a hybrid of both the physicality and the utilization of the three pointer. Would be basketball nirvana to me!
    I would eliminate the flops, the shooter jumping into the defender foul, and reintroduce the hand check.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,445
    23scidoo said:

I’m glad you recognize that, juggler. the fact that clarkson got 40 off the bench the other night shows how deep they are. ingles and favors are also on the bench. now......can a 3 point shooting team win it all? the dubs showed it can happen but I’m not expecting this team to do it. too many bad memories of the “almost” stockton and malone teams. that said, this team is cohesive and most of the core has been together for 4+years.

I like your sixers, too. a couple of stud players, a great coach and a great GM. that said, I don’t see them winning it all, either.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    unlike MLB or the NFL, where a “hot” team can make a run to the championship (see: Giants, SF), the BEST team almost always prevails in the NBA.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,475
    Oh Russell..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    Oh Russell..

Is he wearing Shaq’s coat?

did you see Kyrie’s walking stick look?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    23scidoo said:
    Oh Russell..

Is he wearing Shaq’s coat?

did you see Kyrie’s walking stick look?
    Dick Tracy look..lol
    i did..more lol
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

One more wasted night watching the Bucks play ugly basketball..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    5 in a row now, huh? Yeesh.

Raptors have been playing good ball lately
    chinese-happy.jpg
    23scidoo said:
    5 in a row now, huh? Yeesh.

Raptors have been playing good ball lately
    And coming more i think..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    so who designed these Heat uniforms? A 12 year old or someone taking some serious acid?  
  • Watching the Pels/Celts game and man can Zion jump.

Hell of a comeback by the Pelicans too.
    Embarrassing loss blowing that lead.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,634
    Brandon Ingram had some clutch shots.  Damn. 
    edited February 2021
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,634
    The narrative is finished with Giannis for now.  
    IMO it’s Embiid’s for the taking.  
    The narrative is finished with Giannis for now.  
    IMO it’s Embiid’s for the taking.  
    I was kind of kinding..don't believe he get it for third in row..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

Mario Hezonja came to Greece for my team, Panathinaikos!!!!
    Great deal!!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.