STUDENT LOANS

This discussion was created from comments split from: #46 President Joe Biden.

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    honestly, i don't disagree with him. his last comment "it's like peeing on a forest fire" is spot on. 

the CERB program in canada gives $500 per week for 28 weeks. that's $2K per month for 7 months. $1400 gives people the money to pay their hydro bill for a home they've already lost. it's absurd. 
    Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking tRumpster idiot.  He said that forgiving student loans wouldn't stimulate the economy unless people were planning on paying off their loans anyway.  Moronic.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    honestly, i don't disagree with him. his last comment "it's like peeing on a forest fire" is spot on. 

the CERB program in canada gives $500 per week for 28 weeks. that's $2K per month for 7 months. $1400 gives people the money to pay their hydro bill for a home they've already lost. it's absurd. 
    Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking tRumpster idiot.  He said that forgiving student loans wouldn't stimulate the economy unless people were planning on paying off their loans anyway.  Moronic.  
    Meh, I think he is spot on here on who would benefit from student loan forgiveness.  And he said “people planning on paying them off this year”.  At least don’t twist his words. If you think he is an idiot, odds are you are pretty poor with your finances.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    Meh, I think he is spot on here on who would benefit from student loan forgiveness.  And he said “people planning on paying them off this year”.  At least don’t twist his words. If you think he is an idiot, odds are you are pretty poor with your finances.
    I don't know where he's getting his info from that only people with money have large student loan debt. that doesn't seem to make any sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    I don't know where he's getting his info from that only people with money have large student loan debt. that doesn't seem to make any sense. 
    It does make sense:
    https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/10/09/who-owes-the-most-in-student-loans-new-data-from-the-fed/
    and:
    https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/which-households-hold-most-student-debt

Higher income households do disproportionately owe more student loan debt than low income households, so in essence a student debt forgiveness program would disproportionately assist higher income households more than lower income households regarding overall $ amounts.
    In my opinion, you just need colleges to lower their tuition and fees dramatically to really assist low income households.  That way low income households may be able to afford to go into areas that require higher level degrees.  Who is going to try to be a doctor if they are looking at 100k debt?  The wealthy, that’s who (mostly I would say anyways).
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/10/09/who-owes-the-most-in-student-loans-new-data-from-the-fed/
    and:

Higher income households do disproportionately owe more student loan debt than low income households, so in essence a student debt forgiveness program would disproportionately assist higher income households more than lower income households regarding overall $ amounts.
    i'm talking proportional to their income (I realize it's not what I said, it's what was in my head lol). of course people who go to med school for 12 years are going to have higher debt than someone who goes to a 2 year diploma program at a community college. but what is the RATIO of debt to earnings? that's the real figure people need to look at. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

i'm talking proportional to their income (I realize it's not what I said, it's what was in my head lol). of course people who go to med school for 12 years are going to have higher debt than someone who goes to a 2 year diploma program at a community college. but what is the RATIO of debt to earnings? that's the real figure people need to look at. 
    I agree, the debt to income ratio is a valid argument, but are they looking at going off that type of scale or just an overall debt forgiveness program?  An overall debt forgiveness program would disproportionately benefit the wealthy.  I’m not sure where the debt to income numbers are at?  I’ll let you do that research, ha
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

I agree, the debt to income ratio is a valid argument, but are they looking at going off that type of scale or just an overall debt forgiveness program?  An overall debt forgiveness program would disproportionately benefit the wealthy.  I’m not sure where the debt to income numbers are at?  I’ll let you do that research, ha
    Of course it would.  That's always been the argument, that it's essentially a wealth transfer.  Those with student loans (and graduated) have much higher average income and much lower unemployment rater than those without. Further, the default rate on student loans varies wildly from those without a degree vs those with a degree.  So waiving student loans is a subsidy for the middle or upper middle class.  At the same time, if you waive student load balances up to $50k, it's hard to argue that the savings wouldn't be put back into the economy in the form of home, car or other capital purchases.  So it likely would have a stimulating effect.

For the record, since Gern is our local CPA, I doubt he's terrible with his finances.  And while I didn't listen to this Ramsay podcast, if Gern says he's an idiot, my money is on him being an idiot. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

If 500,000 students are paying $350/month on their student loans and all of a sudden they have $350/month to spend on a new car, a better living situation, other shit....that is a huge economic stimulus.

But keep buying his stupid books.  I bet you're rich already.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited February 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Of course it would.  That's always been the argument, that it's essentially a wealth transfer.  Those with student loans (and graduated) have much higher average income and much lower unemployment rater than those without. Further, the default rate on student loans varies wildly from those without a degree vs those with a degree.  So waiving student loans is a subsidy for the middle or upper middle class.  

For the record, since Gern is our local CPA, I doubt he's terrible with his finances.  And while I didn't listen to this Ramsay podcast, if Gern says he's an idiot, my money is on him being an idiot. 
    Personally, I would never elicit financial advice from someone that says Dave Ramsey is an idiot...but that’s just my opinion.  There are plenty of CPAs that are complete dumbasses when it comes to giving financial advice.  Sorry Gern.
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Of course it would.  That's always been the argument, that it's essentially a wealth transfer.  Those with student loans (and graduated) have much higher average income and much lower unemployment rater than those without. Further, the default rate on student loans varies wildly from those without a degree vs those with a degree.  So waiving student loans is a subsidy for the middle or upper middle class.  

Personally, I would never elicit financial advice from someone that says Dave Ramsey is an idiot...but that’s just my opinion.
    You are too smart to need a CPA.  You've got Dave Fuckin Ramsey!

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Personally, I would never elicit financial advice from someone that says Dave Ramsey is an idiot...but that’s just my opinion.
    Why would ever solicit financial advice from someone that a radio hosts discusses at all?
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Of course it would.  That's always been the argument, that it's essentially a wealth transfer.  Those with student loans (and graduated) have much higher average income and much lower unemployment rater than those without. Further, the default rate on student loans varies wildly from those without a degree vs those with a degree.  So waiving student loans is a subsidy for the middle or upper middle class.  At the same time, if you waive student load balances up to $50k, it's hard to argue that the savings wouldn't be put back into the economy in the form of home, car or other capital purchases.  So it likely would have a stimulating effect.

He's Dr Phil.  He sells books to people that think he's smart.

I could say that if you need Dave Ramsey your finances are likely shit.  And I'm probably right.

edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

You are too smart to need a CPA.  You've got Dave Fuckin Ramsey!
    I have a CPA and financial advisor that would disagree with you all day, but you go your way and I’ll go mine.  I have no debt whatsoever and make a modest income, I think I’ll be okay financially.
    Where did I say I “need” Dave Ramsey?  Just said he’s not an idiot by any means and if you think he is, you’re probably a subpar CPA and probably give bad financial advise.
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

He's Dr Phil.  He sells books to people that think he's smart.

I could say that if you need Dave Ramsey your finances are likely shit.  And I'm probably right.
    I would read an old Suze Orman article in my younger days and my reaction would range from "duh" to "that's idiotic".  It's sort of brain candy, easy to digest but usually not useful.  I'm sure this guy is similar, from the way you describe him. 
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

If 500,000 students are paying $350/month on their student loans and all of a sudden they have $350/month to spend on a new car, a better living situation, other shit....that is a huge economic stimulus.

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Personally, I would never elicit financial advice from someone that says Dave Ramsey is an idiot...but that’s just my opinion.  There are plenty of CPAs that are complete dumbasses when it comes to giving financial advice.  Sorry Gern.
    Whether you agree with his assessment of ramsay or not, his logic behind the stimulus it would generate is quite basic, and makes perfect sense. you honestly don't need to be a CPA to know the effect this would have. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Whether you agree with his assessment of ramsay or not, his logic behind the stimulus it would generate is quite basic, and makes perfect sense. you honestly don't need to be a CPA to know the effect this would have. 
    And that effect is that it would have no stimulating benefit?
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

i'm agreeing with gern on the student loan issue. 

i only agreed with ramsay on the stimulus cheques like "peeing on a forest fire". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

One effect that I've seen is forcing married people that both have student loans to file separately.  Or if one has loans and the other doesn't.  

A joint return causes the minimum student loan payment to be higher which forces a couple to file separately in order to keep their payments low.  I advise against this as much as I can but they tend to look at it from a monthly cash flow perspective rather than the overall savings perspective.  Of course those people probably read Dave Ramsey so getting through is difficult.

edited February 2021
    One effect that I've seen is forcing married people that both have student loans to file separately.  Or if one has loans and the other doesn't.  

A joint return causes the minimum student loan payment to be higher which forces a couple to file separately in order to keep their payments low.  I advise against this as much as I can but they tend to look at it from a monthly cash flow perspective rather than the overall savings perspective.  Of course those people probably read Dave Ramsey so getting through is difficult.
    So you advise people to pay down student loans as quickly as possible and so does Ramsey...You may have more in common than you think.
    Still not going to hire you, though.
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

i only agreed with ramsay on the stimulus cheques like "peeing on a forest fire". 
    Yeah I don't really disagree with the forest fire reference but the solution isn't to NOT give the stimulus...it would be to give more.

mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Yeah I don't really disagree with the forest fire reference but the solution isn't to NOT give the stimulus...it would be to give more.

Agreed
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:

So you advise people to pay down student loans as quickly as possible and so does Ramsey...You may have more in common than you think.
    No man just read another Ramsey book.  No need to hire anyone for anything.  Go clean out your couch and invest the change in more Ramsey books.

edited February 2021
    PJPOWER said:

No man just read another Ramsey book.  No need to hire anyone for anything.  Go clean out your couch and invest the change in more Ramsey books.
    Wow, awfully defensive and unprofessional for a CPA.  Show me where Dave Ramsey touched you.
    Again, I have hired a CPA for taxes and a financial advisor for retirement investments.  
    Neither of them would call Dave Ramsey an idiot...But would probably call another CPA an idiot if they said Ramsey was an idiot.
    I would question a financial advisor’s aptitude if they called Dave Ramsey an idiot.  
    I will agree with you, though, Dr. Phil is definitely an idiot.
    PJPOWER said:

Federal student loans have subsidized interest rates.  It's likely not better to pay them down sooner than later.  Private student loans are not, so that may make sense.  That sounds like dubious advice and it's also too general for most people.  I'm not opining on how a married couple should do it, which makes my point even more.  Advice from a celebrity is terrible.  
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Wow, awfully defensive and unprofessional for a CPA.  Show me where Dave Ramsey touched you.
    Again, I have hired a CPA for taxes and a financial advisor for retirement investments.  
    Neither of them would call Dave Ramsey an idiot...But would probably call another CPA an idiot if they said Ramsey was an idiot.
    I would question a financial advisor’s aptitude if they called Dave Ramsey an idiot.  
    I will agree with you, though, Dr. Phil is definitely an idiot.
    I know a local CPA that is in the "Ramsey Idiot Network".  He's a big tRumpster which says a lot.

edited February 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Federal student loans have subsidized interest rates.  It's likely not better to pay them down sooner than later.  Private student loans are not, so that may make sense.  That sounds like dubious advice and it's also too general for most people.  I'm not opining on how a married couple should do it, which makes my point even more.  Advice from a celebrity is terrible.  
    Yeah the rates are horrible.  But people will compare it costing them $2K in tax to file separately to having their loan payment increase $200 month.  And there is no talking them out of it.

mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't know if this guy is an actual economic analyst, but somehow I doubt it since he's on the radio or whatever.  I've posted this before, but Moody's would not agree with his conclusion about Biden's plan. They believe it will produce 8% GDP growth this year, 4% next year and back to full employment by the fall of '22.  That's not peeing. 

https://www.moodysanalytics.com/-/media/article/2021/economic-assessment-of-biden-fiscal-rescue-package.pdf
    edited February 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Federal student loans are also riskier to have weighing over you.  You can have your house foreclosed on for defaulting on federal student loans, or wages garnished.  No student loan debt is the way to go.
    I’m not sure getting financial advise from a rock band forum member is a non-terrible idea...
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    He's a fucking idiot

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, he’s not wrong...
    I enjoy his podcast
    Yup, Ramsey is da man!
    It does make sense:
    and:

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't know if this guy is an actual economic analyst, but somehow I doubt it since he's on the radio or whatever.  I've posted this before, but Moody's would not agree with his conclusion about Biden's plan. They believe it will produce 8% GDP growth this year, 4% next year and back to full employment by the fall of '22.  That's not peeing. 

https://www.moodysanalytics.com/-/media/article/2021/economic-assessment-of-biden-fiscal-rescue-package.pdf
    i'm not arguing it won't stimulate growth. all i'm saying is giving a blanket $1400 one time payment to people who have lost tens of thousands is like giving a homeless person a penny. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Federal student loans are also riskier to have weighing over you.  You can have your house foreclosed on for defaulting on federal student loans, or wages garnished.  No student loan debt is the way to go.
    I’m not sure getting financial advise from a rock band forum member is a non-terrible idea...
    Well if you want real advice, I'd tell a person to transfer their public loan to SOFI, sell your house, rent an apartment, transfer your assets to your parents and then file bankruptcy.  Or you could not file and just charge off and then fight the case based on chain of title (while also protecting assets).  You have better than a 50% chance of winning considering the trust issues that are prevalent with most student loans.

But I would disagree that paying off your lowest interest rate debt first is a good idea.  It's not, it's a bad one.  Yes federal loans have auto-garns but that's only if you go delinquent.  So all of this is assuming you are paying on time.  If you think you're going down, then like I said, refinance it out of the federal space and follow my previous steps.