2023/2024 NBA Season October 18th Opening Tip off! Pg 48

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Has to be Embiid but ESPN may play up the Lebron for MVP narrative 
    Yep. Literally everything would have to go right for Embiid and the Sixers for him to win it. #1 in the East and he has to keep these numbers up all year. 

The only other savior would be it Davis turns things around and goes off in the second half of the season. Hard to give a guy MVP when he has another top 5 player on his team, but as of right now he hasn’t been playing at a top 5 level. 
  • RiotZact said:
    Has to be Embiid but ESPN may play up the Lebron for MVP narrative 
    Yep. Literally everything would have to go right for Embiid and the Sixers for him to win it. #1 in the East and he has to keep these numbers up all year. 

The only other savior would be it Davis turns things around and goes off in the second half of the season. Hard to give a guy MVP when he has another top 5 player on his team, but as of right now he hasn’t been playing at a top 5 level. 
    Being a top 5 player doesn't mean you need top 5 stats.  Doncic and Beal are proving that right now.

Whenever LBJ is on the court he is one of the best.  He's smart and plays smart and is reserving his body for the playoffs like he has in the past.  He turned it up last year in a shortened season because he could.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I think PER is a solid estimator of the best players in basketball. Other than a few exceptions, this is a pretty good list

chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Jaylen Brown for MVP!
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited February 2021
    Boston definitely feels like Jaylen’s team now.  Didnt expect that. 

Is it wrong that i love how Zion isnt as flashy as people expected?  Ive said it before.  He’s an old school power forward...just bigger and turbo charged.  All of his shots are usually non-highlights tho.  Off the backboard layups or simple dunks.  Refreshing.  Smart kid. Shooting 60% from the field.  

I also love that most people’s MVP candidates are two centers.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    Boston definitely feels like Jaylen’s team now.  Didnt expect that. 

Is it wrong that i love how Zion isnt as flashy as people expected?  Ive said it before.  He’s an old school power forward...just bigger and turbo charged.  All of his shots are usually non-highlights tho.  Off the backboard layups or simple dunks.  Refreshing.  Smart kid. Shooting 60% from the field.  

I also love that most people’s MVP candidates are two centers.  
    I doubt many Spurs fans cared about Tim Duncan not being flashy while winning 5 titles. Winning far more important than flash. As long as Zion keeps improving and the Pelicans get better, that's all that should matter.
    Kid's got a great future if he stays healthy.
    I agree with liking how it's the two centers dominating the league again. Just in a different way than centers did a couple decades ago as they game has evolved.

Also like Zion. Reminds me of a young Chuck Wagon
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I agree with liking how it's the two centers dominating the league again. Just in a different way than centers did a couple decades ago as they game has evolved.

Also like Zion. Reminds me of a young Chuck Wagon
    Yeah i went to a lot of games at the Spectrum. I see a lot of early Barkley.   
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    23scidoo said:
    HAHA, it worked on that play but he had a Triple-Double that game(28-14-12)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    I think PER is a solid estimator of the best players in basketball. Other than a few exceptions, this is a pretty good list

you have no idea what PER means.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

Well it's measure of how efficient a player is, of course!

Perhaps you are upset that Donovan "20-Shots-A-Game" Mitchell is ranked 53rd?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Wobbie said:

If you would have told me before the season started that the Jazz were going to have their current record, I would have assumed that Mitchell had to have taken a giant leap to top 10 or even top 5 player in the NBA. The fact that they are playing this well without him being significantly better than last year is what really scares me. 
    RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:

If you would have told me before the season started that the Jazz were going to have their current record, I would have assumed that Mitchell had to have taken a giant leap to top 10 or even top 5 player in the NBA. The fact that they are playing this well without him being significantly better than last year is what really scares me. 

they have maybe 6 guys who might be their leading scorer on any given night.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:

Mitchel might be the fourth best player on that team.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Wobbie said:
    RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:

And deservedly not a former rookie of the year.
    Wobbie said:
    RiotZact said:
    Wobbie said:

nah. altho getting jordan clarkson, straight up for dante exum, was the steal of the century.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    He is being prepared for the Space Jam??

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    ^^^I hate when players do that shit^^^

• cutz said:
    Nobody wants to put a body in front of him?
  • So I wanted to talk about the Nets.  I said "No way this will work".

Well I'm going to eat those words.  The team apparently isn't all ball hoggish and found a way to play together.  Watching them all play is amazing.

The Knicks are another surprising team that has learned to play together and will all play defense.  They are actually fun to watch also.
    cutz said:
    Shouldn't have to on such a blatant travel, ref should have blown the whistle.
  • Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    Shouldn't have to on such a blatant travel, ref should have blown the whistle.
    I got 2 steps?  Is that right?  He technically was still in dribbling transition until he grabbed the ball and took his 2 steps.
    He takes 2 after the last dribble, then grabs the ball and then takes 2 more.
    To me that's a travel.
  • Poncier said:
    To me that's a travel.
    He didn't technically stop dribbling during those first 2 steps.  That will never get called.
    So I wanted to talk about the Nets.  I said "No way this will work".

Well I'm going to eat those words.  The team apparently isn't all ball hoggish and found a way to play together.  Watching them all play is amazing.

The Knicks are another surprising team that has learned to play together and will all play defense.  They are actually fun to watch also.
    Told you about Knicks, they play better every night..
    the Nets, if Harden keep passing like this, they have future..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I mean its absurd.
    The last time the ball hits the floor is in the center court circle, and he dunks, yet doesn't travel.
    The bending/interpretation of the traveling rule has gotten ludicrous.
  • 23scidoo said:

I live in NY so I know all about them.  I have also mentioned that if they make the playoffs they will be an early exit too.

Spot on with Harden and passing.  he and Kyrie discussed their roles and it really does work, now if they learn to play better D?  Would be very interesting.

Everyone that is high on the Jazz needs to pump the brakes too.  Come playoff time this team isn't really built to go to a finals.

I think the days of the little engine that could type of Detroit team from the early 2000's and win a chip are gone.
    23scidoo said:

I live in NY so I know all about them.  I have also mentioned that if they make the playoffs they will be an early exit too.

Spot on with Harden and passing.  he and Kyrie discussed their roles and it really does work, now if they learn to play better D?  Would be very interesting.

Everyone that is high on the Jazz needs to pump the brakes too.  Come playoff time this team isn't really built to go to a finals.

I think the days of the little engine that could type of Detroit team from the early 2000's and win a chip are gone.
    But there have never been "days of little engines that could's." Detroit was just the exception to the rule. 

Utah is real good. Everyone on that team can shoot and Goebert is one of the best defenders in the league. I think they have a shot. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:
    To me that's a travel.
    He didn't technically stop dribbling during those first 2 steps.  That will never get called.
    I think I agree. He picked up his dribble right outside of the 3 pt line and then took 2 more giant steps. The steps whilst dribble were enormous as well. 
    chinese-happy.jpg