National Anthem at sports events

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
https://theathletic.com/2376670/2021/02/09/dallas-mavericks-anthem-nba-mark-cuban/

The Dallas Mavericks have ceased playing the national anthem before home games this season and do not plan to play it moving forward, a decision made by owner Mark Cuban that he confirmed to The Athletic on Monday evening.

None of 13 preseason and regular-season games played at the American Airlines Center this season have featured the anthem before the game, including Monday’s game against the Minnesota Timberwolves, the first played this season with a limited amount of fans in attendance.

The Mavericks did not publicize the anthem’s removal, and The Athletic was the first media organization to reach out about the change after noticing its absence on Monday. Multiple team employees described only noticing the anthem’s removal on their own, as it was also not announced or explained internally.

Cuban declined a request for further comment or explanation Monday evening. The Mavericks organization also declined comment Tuesday.

An NBA spokesperson told The Athletic on Tuesday that “under the unique circumstances of this season, teams are permitted to run their pregame operations as they see fit.” Other teams have continued to play the anthem at their home venues mostly with recorded video or audio, including games played against Dallas.

While the league’s rulebook requires players to stand during the anthem, the NBA has declined to enforce the rule in recent years, as the anthem has become a method of protest against racial and social injustice, with many professional and amateur athletes kneeling to show support for Black Lives Matter and to highlight systematic racism in the United States.

“I recognize that this is a very emotional issue on both sides of the equation in America right now, and I think it calls for real engagement rather than rule enforcement,” Silver said during a December press conference.

When the NBA resumed its season last year in Orlando, Mavericks players and coaches knelt during the anthem, something Cuban supported. “If they were taking a knee, and they were being respectful, I’d be proud of them,” Cuban told ESPN in July. “Hopefully, I’d join them.”

In July, two days after saying he would kneel with players, Cuban tweeted, “The National Anthem Police in this country are out of control. If you want to complain, complain to your boss and ask why they don’t play the National Anthem every day before you start work.”

The Mavericks are believed to be the first professional North American sports team to cease playing the anthem before games with fans in recent years. As recently as 2017, all major North American professional sports leagues were confirmed to play the anthem before matches, along with NASCAR prior to races. Major League Soccer did not play the anthem during a tournament in Orlando without fans in attendance in 2020, but teams have since resumed the tradition upon returning to their home venues.

I support this.  It's a stupid tradition.  We will chastise people like Kaepernick that decide to protest by taking a knee but we don't chastise the idiots that scream and yell during the anthem.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was played on tape at a decent tempo.  I attend a lot of minor league hockey games and every other singer will do their own version where they take liberty with the melody or drag the fucking tempo out to about half of what it should be.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Doesn't matter to me, but you know the "patriots" of this country will take offense and blame cancel culture.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    I always use the anthem as a final call to get to my seat without missing any of the game. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Last season (pre pandemic), I was at an NFL game on a really cold November day.  I was sitting next to my friend from Canada who was at his first ever game.  We ate some gummies and were feeling great.

After people stood, a few guys were shouting and swearing at a guy to take off his hat.  There were nearly fights.  There were other people joining in and 'policing' people who didnt have their hats off or whatever.  There was screaming and fighting throughout half the national anthem all around us.  You know.  Pretend-Alpha, pretend-patriotic Trump types.  At the end of the National Anthem there were fireworks and a jet flyover.  My canadian friend turns to me and says "youre national anthem is fucking awesome".  lol.

Later in the game, they brought out the 'Veteran" of the game where you are required to stop what you are doing, stand, and applaud.  Well, the same ass-hats in our section were wildly cheering and turning back to the crowd and waving their arms like birds desperately telling everyone to get loud for the Veteran and judging everyone at how loud they were cheering.  This being in the 4th quarter and me drinking and eating gummies since 7AM, I wasnt in a jubilant mood.  I was scared I was going to be assaulted for not cheering loud enough for the Veteran.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Screw the anthem at any sporting event, I don’t care if ever hear it again! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Good move.  The national anthem should not be played before sporting events...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Agree with you 100%.  Could care a less about Canada’s or the US anthem...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    MayDay10 said:
    Last season (pre pandemic), I was at an NFL game on a really cold November day.  I was sitting next to my friend from Canada who was at his first ever game.  We ate some gummies and were feeling great.

After people stood, a few guys were shouting and swearing at a guy to take off his hat.  There were nearly fights.  There were other people joining in and 'policing' people who didnt have their hats off or whatever.  There was screaming and fighting throughout half the national anthem all around us.  You know.  Pretend-Alpha, pretend-patriotic Trump types.  At the end of the National Anthem there were fireworks and a jet flyover.  My canadian friend turns to me and says "youre national anthem is fucking awesome".  lol.

Later in the game, they brought out the 'Veteran" of the game where you are required to stop what you are doing, stand, and applaud.  Well, the same ass-hats in our section were wildly cheering and turning back to the crowd and waving their arms like birds desperately telling everyone to get loud for the Veteran and judging everyone at how loud they were cheering.  This being in the 4th quarter and me drinking and eating gummies since 7AM, I wasnt in a jubilant mood.  I was scared I was going to be assaulted for not cheering loud enough for the Veteran.
    lol....they do something similar at each hockey game.  There is a pause where we all have to clap for veterans and first responders...they play images of firemen, police, military, etc. on the video screens and play that fucking god awful Lee Greenwood song that makes me want to be an axe murderer.

They have a seat in the arena dedicated to MIAs that they shine a big light on, etc.  There are the same few old season ticket holders  that they focus the camera on and they give a salute, etc.

I have the utmost respect for veterans.  But doing it every game dumbs it down.  Plus...it's minor league hockey.  RIght now they only let 1600 people in the place and most of us are season ticket holders so it's the same fucking people every time.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Not a fan of this move by Cuban.  I like the anthem at events and always will.  This is not a red/blue thing either as some suggest.  Hell, last PJ show I was at in 2018 I even heard it played by one Mr. Mike McCready. No one seemed to object. 
    I’m sick & tired about all these so called patriotic fools! Stand up for the anthem take off your hat or get beaten, but it’s ok to storm government buildings and beat cops with flag poles! Screw that..
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Well, in the first place it's such a horrid song.  It's hard as hell to sing well and even then it just sounds lame. 

It's been suggested that “Lift Every Voice and Sing” AKA the “Black National Anthem” would make a better anthem.  If we have to have an anthem at all, it seems like a good choice to meThat, or "Rocking in the Free World."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

bbiggs said:
    Not a fan of this move by Cuban.  I like the anthem at events and always will.  This is not a red/blue thing either as some suggest.  Hell, last PJ show I was at in 2018 I even heard it played by one Mr. Mike McCready. No one seemed to object. 
    But does it need to be required? Maybe some want to play and some don't. That should be their choice. Doing so doesn't make you any more patriotic and not doing so isn't shitting on the country you live in. The nationalism in this country is absurd though so this will be very unpopular with 70 million+ people.
  • Screw the anthem at any sporting event, I don’t care if ever hear it again! 
    I’m sick & tired about all these so called patriotic fools! Stand up for the anthem take off your hat or get beaten, but it’s ok to storm government buildings and beat cops with flag poles! Screw that..
    You just discovered the root of the problem, mob mentality.
    edited February 2021
    bbiggs said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvW6jHUHiY

I'm good with this tempo....I think this should be the standard.  Just play the US Marine Band version and be done with it.  No long drawn out bullshit with American Idol wannabes
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• If I am at a game and it is played, I respectfully remove my cap and stand.  Why?  Because when in Rome and some people feel very strongly about it and I'd rather not get into a fight when I'm there to see a damn game.

Removing it from games altogether?  It's just another reason to add why the country is going to hell and we are becoming communists.  Are you ready for more of that kind of crap?

I am not sure what they are aiming at unless they are looking to remove it altogether?  Over time this would make a lot of things go away.

Anybody ever watch the episode of Huangs World where he attempts to sing the anthem?
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    I appreciate the anthem played before events, just cut out the over the top patriotism. I agree with Gern if I never hear the Lee Greenwood song again, it will be pure heaven. I was in the Navy during Desert Shield/Storm and all you heard for a year straight in the area around Norfolk, VA was that crappy song played over and over ad nauseum. Living in the Midwest, where patriotism is seen as the highest virtue, they play it at sporting events that coincide with Veteran's day and Memorial day alongside the anthem. I understand the desire to acknowledge people who serve our Country, but if it is just a show, I don't want any part of it.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    tbergs said:
    bbiggs said:
    But does it need to be required? Maybe some want to play and some don't. That should be their choice. Doing so doesn't make you any more patriotic and not doing so isn't shitting on the country you live in. The nationalism in this country is absurd though so this will be very unpopular with 70 million+ people.
    Bingo. 
    brianlux said:
    Well, in the first place it's such a horrid song.  It's hard as hell to sing well and even then it just sounds lame. 

It's been suggested that “Lift Every Voice and Sing” AKA the “Black National Anthem” would make a better anthem.  If we have to have an anthem at all, it seems like a good choice to meThat, or "Rocking in the Free World."

Or you could have a national anthem that is all inclusive but one that recognizes 1st people’s as the true owners of your country and mine...

our goddamn awful ugly flags need to be tossed with the national anthems...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If and that’s a big if I ever attend another sporting event I’m waiting in the lobby till it’s over but at this point I’m ok with not ever attending another sporting event again! I’m good 
    I appreciate the anthem played before events, just cut out the over the top patriotism. I agree with Gern if I never hear the Lee Greenwood song again, it will be pure heaven. I was in the Navy during Desert Shield/Storm and all you heard for a year straight in the area around Norfolk, VA was that crappy song played over and over ad nauseum. Living in the Midwest, where patriotism is seen as the highest virtue, they play it at sporting events that coincide with Veteran's day and Memorial day alongside the anthem. I understand the desire to acknowledge people who serve our Country, but if it is just a show, I don't want any part of it.
    About once a month we will have 4 games in a week (Wed, Fri/Sat/Sun)....to do that every game is just ridiculous.

I can understand once a week, etc.  They just beat it up so bad and that fucking song makes me want to hurl myself off the balcony

I don't think it's the anthem as much as it is about being tied to military support at this point. The Color Guard trots out the flags, they honor some veteran and then they play the anthem. Later on you might be bombarded by God Bless America or the god awful God Bless the USA. Just play the instrumental version and be done with it. It doesn't need to be glamorized, but it's become this whole process and slowly they've added these other bullshit elements that have nothing to do with it.
    edited February 2021
    If I am at a game and it is played, I respectfully remove my cap and stand.  Why?  Because when in Rome and some people feel very strongly about it and I'd rather not get into a fight when I'm there to see a damn game.

Removing it from games altogether?  It's just another reason to add why the country is going to hell and we are becoming communists.  Are you ready for more of that kind of crap?

I am not sure what they are aiming at unless they are looking to remove it altogether?  Over time this would make a lot of things go away.

Anybody ever watch the episode of Huangs World where he attempts to sing the anthem?
    Do communists not have national anthems before events?

Do you know what communism is? or is it just a label you throw out whenever there is something that you disagree with?

This is a private business making some sort of decision.  That is like the exact opposite of Communism.  

Anyways, I really like the national anthem tradition before games.  From the time I was a kid... its just the thing to do.  I always make it a point to face the flag during the anthem and not the scoreboard.  Sometimes, I am standing in a completely different direction as the crowd and get some puzzled looks.  My 7 year old kid does it now too.  

Some of the over-the top military pandering stuff needs to be done away at EVERY SINGLE sporting event.  It rings very hollow now and over-done.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    brianlux said:

Or you could have a national anthem that is all inclusive but one that recognizes 1st people’s as the true owners of your country and mine...

our goddamn awful ugly flags need to be tossed with the national anthems...

A Native American National anthem- that makes sense!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• MayDay10 said:
    If I am at a game and it is played, I respectfully remove my cap and stand.  Why?  Because when in Rome and some people feel very strongly about it and I'd rather not get into a fight when I'm there to see a damn game.

Do you know what communism is? or is it just a label you throw out whenever there is something that you disagree with?

This is a private business making some sort of decision.  That is like the exact opposite of Communism.  

Anyways, I really like the national anthem tradition before games.  From the time I was a kid... its just the thing to do.  I always make it a point to face the flag during the anthem and not the scoreboard.  Sometimes, I am standing in a completely different direction as the crowd and get some puzzled looks.  My 7 year old kid does it now too.  

Some of the over-the top military pandering stuff needs to be done away at EVERY SINGLE sporting event.  It rings very hollow now and over-done.
    I should have been more clear as people obviously don't know what my views are apparently.

People will be screaming that we are becoming communists by not playing the anthem which I already see on FB.  This is THEIR go to, not mine.
    MayDay10 said:

I should have been more clear as people obviously don't know what my views are apparently.

People will be screaming that we are becoming communists by not playing the anthem which I already see on FB.  This is THEIR go to, not mine.
    haha, thanks for clarifying.  Sorry for jumping at you...

I agree.  People will call it 'communism' which is why I was quick to try to call it out.  Im so sick and tired of people mis-using that word (and socialism).

This adds fodder to the nationalists.  I wonder what precipitated Cuban to do this.  I would guess maybe his players wanted to protest, maybe some didnt, maybe they were getting mixed signals from the NBA and Cuban decided to just scrap it.  Especially with like <1000 fans per game.

Wait a second.... Mark Cuban?  CUBAN?  CUBA IS COMMUNIST
    edited February 2021
    Somebody I read once suggested that a piece by Albert Ayler would make a great National Anthem.  I think it was "Ghosts".  It's a little long but I can dig it.  What do you think?

OK, maybe not the whole thing but seriously though, the main theme would make a great anthem!

Post edited by brianlux on

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    edited February 2021
    bbiggs said:
    With the pace we are on, I fear everything will be seen as a red/blue thing in our lifetime.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited February 2021
    I've thought the practice is strange for quite some time. Why does it need to happen before the Twins take on the White Sox?  "Can't you take a second to acknowledge something that's more important than a game?" Sure...but it's also more important than my breakfast, a movie, a bike ride, etc.  And I don't stop to shed a tear for Old Glory before those mundane acts.

Standing through the anthem has always been one of those things you just do before a game (at least for me).  I don't think it's necessary but historically, I've thought it was benign albeit odd. But in the United States, we surely dedicate a lot of energy to telling ourselves, each other, and people abroad that we're the greatest country in the world (and for various reasons, I think it serves us poorly). Perhaps playing the anthem is a contributor to that culture of self-reassurance that gets toxic at times.  One way in which it's become toxic is the fairly new idea (maybe since Kaepernick) that the anthem is about the military.  Sorry, no. It's about teachers, homeless people, liberals, scientists, and all Americans, including those the Patriots find objectionable. 

I used to keep my hat on (if I was wearing one; I didn't actually plan this out before I left). Never once took any crap.  I made a conscious decision not to do that after 9/11. Not because of "respect" but because it just wasn't worth getting in a fight over. Now I tend not to wear hats to games but when I do, I just sheepishly follow...

tbergs said:
    Doesn't matter to me, but you know the "patriots" of this country will take offense and blame cancel culture.
    And there will be so much irony, as they cancel the Mavericks, the NBA, and sports in general. They won't be able handle someone not feeling the same way they do. They'll be doing the whole cancel culture, snowflake, "PC" thing they constantly accuse others of doing.  "HATS OFF!" guy can't deal with people who approach patriotism differently than he does, and I'd bet anything he calls people "butthurt," "closeminded," and "snowflakes" regularly.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited February 2021
    Applaud this move -- I also think they need to kill the pledge of allegiance from schools.  The kids are meant to pledge allegiance to a flag, a country, and to do it "under God" every morning?

I still fly a flag at my home.  We live in America and all that.
    Don't make our kids stand and salute a flag as a symbol of "liberty and justice for all" when it so clearly is not a country which supports this goal and 1,000,000% do not make the kids do it with anything to do with God in it. 

I do stand and remove my cap when attending an event. 
    I do not, however, think we should be making public events routinely about saluting the flag. 

To each their own -- no reason to make this a big public thing and to pretend we are all the same.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Good move.  The national anthem should not be played before sporting events...

I think it should remain in big events, Super Bowl, World Series things like that.
    To play it 162 times during a baseball season seems unnecessary.
    Though without it we wouldn't have Carl Lewis and Roseanne Barr as the butts of so many jokes.
    This weekend we rock Portland