The National Football League

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Sad to see Marty Schottenheimer have to live his last days with Alzheimer's.  He was a great coach and it's too bad he didn't break through and win a Super Bowl.

I went to school and played football with Brian Schottenheimer.  He was a year younger than me.  Nice enough kid.  Anyways, my dad was a raving lunatic about the Browns and used to go up to him at games and criticize his play calling, mostly on the defensive side of the ball, for being too soft in coverage with a lead.  Marty apparently took it in stride.  He was a nice guy.  My dad, less so.
  • mrussel1 said:
    Sad to see Marty Schottenheimer have to live his last days with Alzheimer's.  He was a great coach and it's too bad he didn't break through and win a Super Bowl.

I went to school and played football with Brian Schottenheimer.  He was a year younger than me.  Nice enough kid.  Anyways, my dad was a raving lunatic about the Browns and used to go up to him at games and criticize his play calling, mostly on the defensive side of the ball, for being too soft in coverage with a lead.  Marty apparently took it in stride.  He was a nice guy.  My dad, less so.
    That's an awesome story. 

Your pops loves him some football. I love it. 
    mrussel1 said:

That's an awesome story. 

Yeah he was much older than me (45 when he had me) so he was steeped in the winning culture of the 50's and 60's Browns.  The late 80's were a brief shining light in an otherwise dismal half century.  
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    mrussel1 said:

Ha, I'm sure I was pretty obnoxious myself in the 90's while he was coaching the Chiefs.  Probably a good thing I didn't get the opportunity to criticize him in person.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    mrussel1 said:

Ha, I'm sure I was pretty obnoxious myself in the 90's while he was coaching the Chiefs.  Probably a good thing I didn't get the opportunity to criticize him in person.

You weren't 60 years old though..
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

How do you know that?  j/k

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's an awesome story. 

Yeah he was much older than me (45 when he had me) so he was steeped in the winning culture of the 50's and 60's Browns.  The late 80's were a brief shining light in an otherwise dismal half century.  
    For this reason alone, I'm glad I was in my mid '20s before the Patriots started winning. I can vividly remember how much the late '80s / early '90s sucked. 

Same for the Red Sox.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's an awesome story. 

For this reason alone, I'm glad I was in my mid '20s before the Patriots started winning. I can vividly remember how much the late '80s / early '90s sucked. 

Same for the Red Sox.  
    I remember feeling sorry for the Pats for years.  Eason, Grogan, etc. all looked fairly hapless.  Although that snow plow game against the Dolphins was disappointing.  I wasn't a fan of the Dolphins, but wanted to the Bears to lose the SB and knew the Pats had no chance.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I may have been 60 in the 90’s :whistle:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Sam Wyche: “THIS ISN’T CLEVELAND!!!!!”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Sam Wyche: “THIS ISN’T CLEVELAND!!!!!”
    I'll nail that bastard with a D battery for that comment. 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Terrible disease. don't wish it on anyone. Agree I think he gets spat on too much.  Really really good coach.  
    edited February 2021
    pjhawks said:

Terrible disease. don't wish it on anyone. Agree I think he gets spat on too much.  Really really good coach.  
    How does one spit on this guy?  He was first rate, an A+ and won everywhere he went.  No he didn't win the SB, but who cares.  There are so many factors and impediments.  Anyone who dogs out Marty (besides my dad) is a jerkoff. 
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

How does one spit on this guy?  He was first rate, an A+ and won everywhere he went.  No he didn't win the SB, but who cares.  There are so many factors and impediments.  Anyone who dogs out Marty (besides my dad) is a jerkoff. 
    I remember when I first started watching football, he gave his "There's a gleam" speech.  He was an amazing pep talk/philosopher of the game.

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    From the top rope

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's an awesome story. 

Same for the Red Sox.  
    I remember feeling sorry for the Pats for years.  Eason, Grogan, etc. all looked fairly hapless.  Although that snow plow game against the Dolphins was disappointing.  I wasn't a fan of the Dolphins, but wanted to the Bears to lose the SB and knew the Pats had no chance.  
    You're misremembering.
    The snow plow game was a regular season game in Foxboro that Pats won 3-0 (1982 or 83)
    Pats beat the Dolphins in the 85 (January 86) AFC championship game in sunny Miami (31-14 if I recall final score). The "Squish the fish" game.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

1890's?
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's an awesome story. 

Same for the Red Sox.  
    You're misremembering.
    The snow plow game was a regular season game in Foxboro that Pats won 3-0 (1982 or 83)
    Pats beat the Dolphins in the 85 (January 86) AFC championship game in sunny Miami (31-14 if I recall final score). The "Squish the fish" game.
    Ah you're right. I was conflating two games.  I guess it makes sense that the game would be in Miami considering their record that year. 
  • Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

1890's?
    1290’s, maybe earlier.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Andy Reid’s son at it again

god damn bro... wtf

i hope the kid pulls thru

take that fuckers keys away for good

how many chances? Brother passed away, stay the fuck off the road, selfish

get loaded all day everyday... at your house

I think Andy seams like a solid guy, but Tough Love isn’t in his vocabulary ... Kids on his coaching staff, Nepotism is a poison 

I also think Eric Bienemys past is preventing his HC status. 

I Believe in 2nd, even third & 4th ones... but some things are a lil tough to look past

again... hope the families involved can walk away with all members involved

Yeah, the son needs to be fired from the coaching staff immediately.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Feel badly for Big Andy.  I'm sure he, as well as most NFL coaches, was an absent father, but having these two fucking knuckleheads as sons cannot be easy.  Flush that fucking turd.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Feel badly for Big Andy.  I'm sure he, as well as most NFL coaches, was an absent father, but having these two fucking knuckleheads as sons cannot be easy.  Flush that fucking turd.
    The guy has obvious addiction

just party at home

and def don’t point a glock at a motorist as he did a decade ago

lotta dumb famous/rich people can afford a driver
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I don't feel badly for the actual guy, just his dad.

Fuck that guy, he is a piece of garbage.

100%

It’s crazy night or 2 before Super Bowl dramas

this

eugene Robinson Falcons & Robbins from Raiders come to mind
    How many times are media types going to refer to Tampa Bay as the place.  I believe Tampa is the place, Tampa Bay is the water.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722

Yep.  5 year old kid in critical condition too.  Just awful.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Go Chiefs!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited February 2021
    CHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEFS!!
    Rooting for a great game and my squares to hit every quarter, or at least for the final score in the big pool!