The National Football League

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Wobbie said:
    do you all think deshaun watson is worth all this talk? I hear “top 5 QB” over and over and over but I’m not sure I see it.
    agree, very good QB but not Top 5.  I've heard that being thrown around as well.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    do you all think deshaun watson is worth all this talk? I hear “top 5 QB” over and over and over but I’m not sure I see it.
    agree, very good QB but not Top 5.  I've heard that being thrown around as well.
    I don't know that he's top 5, but I don't think a bunch of draft picks is good compensation.  The position is so important and there are so many busts.  So if you have a qb that makes you a clearly better team,  and he does,  I can't think of what someone could deal so that it's a good deal for Houston,  other than a comparable qb.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I think he has elite potential and is already damn close to top 5 if he isn't already there.
    He has had a goddamn idiot for a coach.

Send him to SF, he is top 5 next year.
    (Please!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I think he has elite potential and is already damn close to top 5 if he isn't already there.
    He has had a goddamn idiot for a coach.

Send him to SF, he is top 5 next year.
    (Please!)
    Agreed.  So how can you trade him? What could anyone give you that could compensate?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Only trade if he truly will not play for you 
    Highest bidder, at that point.  You have to get a QB or an elite DL/OL and a shit ton of picks.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    Watson is definitely worth it.  He just needs to go to a franchise that has half of a brain.  The Houston Texans are a steaming pile of poo in a dumpster fire.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
    Rams.....Lions
    Ahahahahahahahaha.

What an indictment of Goff, how bad the Rams think he is, and how much they hate the contract they gave him.
    Rams.....Lions
    Ahahahahahahahaha.

What an indictment of Goff, how bad the Rams think he is, and how much they hate the contract they gave him.
    Man they are really mortgaging the future on winning now with Stafford.  They are all chips in with a "B" quarterback here.  Agree on the comment about the contract and how they feel about Goff.  I don't pretend to know how the Goff's contract hurts the Lions, but the picks are big. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    My god. Imagine what Watson costs now.
    My god. Imagine what Watson costs now.
    That's a great point.  The answer is no cost can make it a fair deal.  You simply can't trade away a top qb...unless he is going to sit out.  Then you're playing chicken.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    edited January 2021
    Imagine a team trading for Jared Goff and that contract!
    Can't imagine how it's possible the Lions as an organization have never reached a Superb Owl with that kind of forward thinking.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Can't imagine how it's possible the Lions as an organization have never reached a Superb Owl with that kind of forward thinking.
    You never know the mechanics of it unless you're steeped into the financial side.  The Browns traded for Brock Osweiller a few years ago after he had that huge contract with the Texans (irony).  It ate up cap space for the Browns which was critical and they never planned to play him.  They got picks and either traded or cut him.  Can't recall which.  It worked out well for the Browns because of their cap situation.  Who knows if Goff ever takes a meaningful snap or not with the Lions.
    Jared Goff is the modern-day Matt Cassel.  Like Charlie Weis, Sean McVay was able to hide his shortcomings until the league figured out neither can read a defense.  Both rely on the scheme telling them where to go with the football.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    It seems clear that the rams payed an extra premium to get rid of the Goff contract.  

It's a great move for Detroit.  They can give Goff a shot while being in an actual rebuild flush with 1st round picks.  They are only required to pay him for 2 seasons, then they can cut him with no cap penalty in 2023.  They will likely have a young qb by then and Rodgers will be pushing 40
    Poncier said:
    You don't see this as a good trade for Detroit?
    Nobody wants Goff but they only really have to carry him for one year and if they can get two years then they can dump him.  He sucks but their team is trash and they got a bunch of picks and traded Stafford who wanted out.

They will f up the picks, I do agree with that but I think they did very well to get what they got
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I love that Stafford said trade me anywhere but New England. He wanted no part of seeing Matt Patricia again. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    edited February 2021
    Jared Goff is the modern-day Matt Cassel.  Like Charlie Weis, Sean McVay was able to hide his shortcomings until the league figured out neither can read a defense.  Both rely on the scheme telling them where to go with the football.

I guess great QB’s figure out defenses; not great ones get figured out.

Is ND still paying charlie weis? :lol:
    Post edited by Wobbie on
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Im going for Tampa in this one.  

Had some guy go off on me for pulling for a team that has Antonio Brown on it.   I had to remind him that KC has Tyreke Hill and that Football teams have 60+ players.  How can you actually like all of them?   :lol:

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    mickeyrat said:

Lol. Around the same time it will take the Rams to finally get to pick in the 1st round
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Watson is definitely worth it.  He just needs to go to a franchise that has half of a brain.  The Houston Texans are a steaming pile of poo in a dumpster fire.
    Agreed. And he still up great numbers on a bad team. Imagine him with all kinds of talent? Whooooboy
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Agreed. And he still up great numbers on a bad team. Imagine him with all kinds of talent? Whooooboy
    Imagine what he could do with a receiver like DeAndre Hopkins. Just imagine.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited February 2021
    Poncier said:
    Ha....yeah. Knew that was coming right after I posted that. The crazy thing is his numbers were significantly better after losing him. He's becoming a better qb. As he continues to mature and is surrounded by better talent....the sky is the limit...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Poncier said:
    Ha....yeah. Knew that was coming right after I posted that. The crazy thing is his numbers were significantly better after losing him. He's becoming a better qb. As he continues to mature and is surrounded by better talent....the sky is the limit...
    Sometimes losing your top receiver opens up the playbook. It's gotta be some sort of silver lining for a QB to not have to worry about getting his superstar receiver his targets. Especially because that the biggest divas in the NFL are almost always wide receivers. Look at Baker Mayfield after Odell went down. Also, sometimes the defense is just straight dookie regardless of how good the QB is. Which I think is also the case in Houston. Lol 
    Poncier said:
    Sometimes losing your top receiver opens up the playbook. It's gotta be some sort of silver lining for a QB to not have to worry about getting his superstar receiver his targets. Especially because that the biggest divas in the NFL are almost always wide receivers. Look at Baker Mayfield after Odell went down. Also, sometimes the defense is just straight dookie regardless of how good the QB is. Which I think is also the case in Houston. Lol 
    The OBJ example is perfect.  The Browns had to game plan to get him the ball lest he just check out by the middle of the 2nd quarter.  Baker played much better with a less selfish group.  I don't know what the Browns do next year, but I would be perfectly fine if we were able to move him for a pair of serviceable LB's or an elite one.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    The OBJ example is perfect.  The Browns had to game plan to get him the ball lest he just check out by the middle of the 2nd quarter.  Baker played much better with a less selfish group.  I don't know what the Browns do next year, but I would be perfectly fine if we were able to move him for a pair of serviceable LB's or an elite one.  
    Browns still had weapons though. Watson had a washed up David Johnson, Brandon Cooks and a hill of kidney beans. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited February 2021
    Wobbie said:
    Also, tony romo stinks

he’s better than “hello, friends” nantz, squeaky wolfson and that terrible studio crew (save for nate burleson).

chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    Browns still had weapons though. Watson had a washed up David Johnson, Brandon Cooks and a hill of kidney beans. 
    I'm not arguing that.  Just saying that having a great receiver can cause other issues.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    I'm not arguing that.  Just saying that having a great receiver can cause other issues.  
    I agree. My original point was just that Watson hardly had any weapons at all, not just that he was missing Hopkins this year....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    I agree. My original point was just that Watson hardly had any weapons at all, not just that he was missing Hopkins this year....
    Yeah there's no bitching by the prima donna receiver when he's the only one that can get open. 
    Sad to see Marty Schottenheimer have to live his last days with Alzheimer's.  He was a great coach and it's too bad he didn't break through and win a Super Bowl.