Ortofon Red is AMAZING!

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
edited February 2021 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well guys, I took the plunge and bought a low hours, used ATVM540 ML dual moving magnet cart for my ATLP120 USB turntable. From what I researched, this cart goes well with my turntable. I followed all proper set up instructions, alignment using a protracter, tracking force with a digital scale, and the first record I put on, it came through at very low volume. My receiver is a Marantz with a proper phono channel, turntable set to phono on the back. I've fiddled with upping the tracking force a bit more, used some needle nose pliers and gently squeezed the contacts together a bit better all to no avail. I've scoured the internet and honestly, there are multiple explanations and I'm hoping someone who knows their stuff better than I am is willing to talk me through this. The previous cart I had on it never had volume issues, though I had not ever learned to properly set up my turntable before this week. I'm hoping I didn't buy a dud cartridge and am thinking of returning it. Thoughts?
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I was thinking contacts, Chris, and was going to suggest the old pencil eraser, but it sounds like you have that covered.

Do you know anyone else around you with a TT that could see if it works with theirs?

Also, have you put your old cartridge back on to test if it works?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Yeah, the toughest part of the process was pulling those contacts/wires off the old cart and I just can't be 100% sure I didn't fuck up the contacts in pulling them off. Honestly, they were like super tightly connected. I don't have anyone else around that I could test and the old cart is bent and done.

Ideas:

1) buy a new headshell and go that way. looks like $25 on Amazon
    2) i hope its not an issue where my Marantz can't handle this new cart's output? this my first 'audiophile' cart i've used on this table and set up. if that's the case, i'm returning this cart because I'm not buying a new receiver right now and I'll just go with the standard cart that I had before, because that one worked before it got worn out.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Well, after looking at a few forums on proper contact connection, I think I fucked them all up. Pulled them off the old cart by hand, used my fingers, probably collapsed or damaged one or all of the wires. Takes skills of an electrician apparently. I have a decent guide I found that I’ll use when the new headshell arrives. Not excited about taking it all apart and realigning everything again. Patience of a monk, people. I want to see this through but had a moment today where I was ready to say fuck it to this whole vinyl thing. In other news, the seller on eBay I bought the cart from sent me his phone number to FaceTime or talk on the phone to help me set it up. Unexpected and super nice gesture. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    There are good people out there. 

Maybe even most of them.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    New AT headshell arrived today. Exact same as what came with the table. I also have a proper set of instructions on how to connect the wires to the back of the cart. Won’t get to this until Monday. Hopefully this gets me back into it. If not, I think I’ll be leaving the vinyl game folks. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Seller refunded me, going with a new pre-mounted Ortofon ‘red’. Definitely won’t do that again. Part surgeon, part electrician and total pain in the ass. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Seller refunded me, going with a new pre-mounted Ortofon ‘red’. Definitely won’t do that again. Part surgeon, part electrician and total pain in the ass. 
    Yeah—that’s looked like a pain. Glad you got a refund and found an alternative!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Heard back from the Audio Technica customer support late today. Cool they returned my call. So they said that they were pretty confident the issue was when I took the stylus off the cart to wire it and set the screws in the headshell, that I probably didn’t get the stylus back on the cart snugly and that the screws I used were too long making it impossible to get the stylus flush back onto the cart. Oh well. If only they had called 24 hours earlier. But yeah, going with premounted carts from now on. I thought since I successfully wired my entire house with Cat5 jacks last May, how hard could this be? Hahaha!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mfc2006 said:
    Heard back from the Audio Technica customer support late today. Cool they returned my call. So they said that they were pretty confident the issue was when I took the stylus off the cart to wire it and set the screws in the headshell, that I probably didn’t get the stylus back on the cart snugly and that the screws I used were too long making it impossible to get the stylus flush back onto the cart. Oh well. If only they had called 24 hours earlier. But yeah, going with premounted carts from now on. I thought since I successfully wired my entire house with Cat5 jacks last May, how hard could this be? Hahaha!! 

edited February 2021
     Haven’t set up my OF Red yet. That’s today’s fun. New tracking force & alignment, and hopefully I don’t have to adjust it at all. I can handle loosening the mounting screws a bit and adjusting though if it comes down to it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    The red is a really good cartridge.  Give it a few hours break in and you’re good to go.  
    The red is a really good cartridge.  Give it a few hours break in and you’re good to go.  
    Amazing cart. So in love with vinyl again. Uh oh! 
    www.cluthelee.com

More playing hours since my last post and damn, this cart is kicking my ass!! Everything is so crisp with a nice low end. I might have found the perfect compliment to my table and Marantz amp.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

More playing hours since my last post and damn, this cart is kicking my ass!! Everything is so crisp with a nice low end. I might have found the perfect compliment to my table and Marantz amp.
    Stop tempting me, damnit!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Glad it's working out for you man! Enjoy those records!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV