Options

Review of Adelaide Show in today's Advertiser

KAHKAH Posts: 10
edited November 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
"Jam Still Match the Energy Levels"
Review by Danielle O'Donohue
22nd November, 2006

THE second of this month's touring extravaganza's has rolled into town armed with a political message and rock show just as potent as U2.

Grunge era pioneers Pearl Jam rocked the Entertainment Centre in the first of two shows on Tuesday night, playing old favourites and new songs off this year's critically acclaimed self-titled album.

Political numbers including recent single Worldwide Suicide and Army Reserve were powerful in their own right but were almost overshadowed by the sentiment of lead singer Eddie Vedder dropping the chorus of Midnight Oils' Australian political anthem Beds Are Burning and War (What Is It Good For?) into the band's early hit Daughter.

Vedder then sang Bob Marley's No Woman/No Cry during the encore, changing the words to No Baby/No Cry and dedicating it to all the new parents before launching into Betterman, letting the enthusiastic crowd take over vocal duties on the chorus.

Vedder then had to wait for the crowd to finish applauding before he was able to begin the second verse, the band joining him to prove that even in their 40s they still match the energy of their early days.

It was another early hit that got the night's biggest reception, the moving Jeremy.

The show started with Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, the house lights going up halfway through the song so Vedder could lean back from the mic and watch as the crowd sang the song's refrain of, `hello,' a fitting welcome for the pioneers of the grunge era.

Last here in 2003, the band delighted their long-term fans with early songs such as Once, State of Love of Trust, Alive and Even Flow.

And the band repayed the crowd's obvious respect. Vedder, at one point, ad-libbing, "I wish I lived in Adelaide, take a break from the US. Write some songs and catch some waves."

Similar to U2, Pearl Jam is a band that is passionate about its beliefs.

On Friday in Melbourne the five-piece were joined by Bono at the Make Poverty History concert in Melbourne to sing Neil Young's Rockin' In the Free World.

The band also donates money to various environmental charities to offset the environmental impact of touring.

With the band now in their 40s, Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard said he doesn't see an end for the band any time soon.

"I think we can do it for a long time though I don't think we'd do it the same way. I can imagine touring less, but in terms of going in and starting a record and making music, it's like finger painting. It's so great. I want to hear what kind of stories Ed would tell next."

And Gossard has nothing but praise for his lead singer.

"It really is shocking how he just keeps getting better and better. He can jump up onstage with anybody and hang. He's such a music fan."

"When he goes out and does songs by himself you sense that if he really wanted to he could just go out and play acoustic songs. It's a tribute to him that he really still loves the energy of the band.

"He likes the way we play which sometimes shocks me. Not to sell ourselves short but in the grand scheme of things he really could do more than Pearl Jam for sure."

Young southerners Kings of Leon got the crowd dancing early, playing their fried southern rock and debuting new songs off an album out early next year.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    I think the part where Stone talks about Ed and his approach to the band and that he is capable of doing more than PJ in a music sense, is something we all share. Every member of the band is talented, but I think it's apparent that Ed could do something of a solo career and enjoy it just as much as being part of PJ. Nice review too.

I didn't like the part of touring less though, but it was offset by the fact they would make more records.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    Very nice review. Most review aren't very good, but this was good. Nice quotes by Stone.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    Its nice to know that the band has a huge respect for their lead singer, if ed were to do a solo career i would be saddened as Ed soloing would be just the same as Bernard Fanning doing his thing... its OK but not nearly as good as the band.
    "a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw, delivered him wings said look at me now"
    we've all been given wings to fly, now all we have to do is soar
  • Options
    jimi1970 wrote:
    Ed soloing would be just the same as Bernard Fanning doing his thing... its OK but not nearly as good as the band.
    Who the f--- is bernard fanning? is that the guy from poofyfinger?
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Timmeahy J wrote:
    Who the f--- is bernard fanning? is that the guy from poofyfinger?

Yes. I like Powderfinger but not Bernard Fanning's solo stuff. It's boring.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Whenever I think of failed lead singer-leaving a major band-in attempts of a solo career, I think of Zack Dela Hoya of Rage. Period.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    Hehe, did you mean Zack De la Rocha?

Yeah, that solo album has been in the works forever.
    "this is such a happening tail-pipe of a party"

Adelaide 98; Adelaide 03; Melbourne 03 #2; Brisbane 06 #2; Adelaide 06 #1 & #2; Perth 06; Adelaide 09; Melbourne 09; Gold Coast BDO 14; Adelaide BDO 14
    EV Aus 2011: Adelaide #1 & #2; Canberra
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Touring less???? Noooooooooo! :mad:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    Nice review, good to see the reviewer knows her stuff for once... must be somewhat of a fan.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    NossieNossie Adelaide, Australia Posts: 1,039
    You can download the Podcast of this interview from...

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/podcasts/

A nice little snippet for the files...
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do...

Pearl Jam - Adelaide: 1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo - Adelaide: 27th & 28th March 2011, Melbourne 16th 2014
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    Link isn't working for me..
  • Options
    NossieNossie Adelaide, Australia Posts: 1,039
    E.K wrote:
    Link isn't working for me..

Hmm... down the right hand side there should be a Media Centre with a link stating "interview: Pearl Jam"...
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do...

Pearl Jam - Adelaide: 1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo - Adelaide: 27th & 28th March 2011, Melbourne 16th 2014