The coronavirus

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So try to get a good night’s sleep, Ledbet!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• I’m getting the first dose of the vaccine tomorrow. 
    For those who have been vaccinated - do you know which one you got? Was anyone given a choice or was it more a matter of “this is what we have”? 
    Good for you Ledman and Often I received the Pfeizer vaccine I’m do for my 2nd dose next week! 
    I’m actually not sure which one I’m getting. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow. 
    It was the Moderna vaccine. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    that's fucking terrifying jose. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It’s sad. In LA County, one in three are infected. I pray my health doesn’t go to shit, to where I need immediate medical help. Hospitals are at capacity. 

So much has been laid to the wayside due to the virus: Air quality, homeless encampment fires/safety, prosecuting assaults, burglaries, home-invasion robberies, etc.

Heartbreaking all around. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    that's fucking terrifying jose. 
    Totally to think that if you go outside and you breathe in you might be breathing human cremations! Holy fuck 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

18 family members get COVID-19 after holiday gathering in Delaware County

MILMONT PARK, Pennsylvania (WPVI) -- A family's holiday party in Milmont Park, Delaware County turned out to be a COVID-19 superspreader event.

It was on December 26 that 55-year-old Darlene Reynolds woke up with a scratchy tickle in her throat. This was one day before she was planning to have family members come over from as far as Canada for a holiday gathering.

"I had no fever because I kept checking it - no fever, no fever, no fever. I said, 'I'll keep a distance since I have a tiny little cough,'" said Reynolds.
    The next day, family members arrived for the party. Soon, she said, people started getting sick.

"So we were sick, but we didn't know we had COVID. We could've had the flu, but it was scary," said Reynolds. "We got tested and we tested positive. And then my husband tested positive the next day. And then (my daughter) was getting sick and she tested positive and my son tested positive."

In all, 18 family members ranging in ages from one to 62 became sickened with the virus.

Reynolds' son and husband, Stephen, ended up in the hospital. Stephen has spent the last nine days at Riddle Hospital.

"He's headed in the right direction; he'll need oxygen when he comes home," said Reynolds' daughter, Joy Purdie.

Meanwhile, Stephen's business called Mini Movers got sidelined when their truck broke down and now they have no income.

Lisa Riggin of J. Riggin Painting saw the story on Facebook and decided to step in.

"The truck's been down for a month and they haven't had income and I just don't want to see them lose their home or their business," said Riggin, who set up Venmo and PayPal accounts on her Facebook to raise money for the family.

"People are donating, not as much as I would like, but people are responding. We had a guy last night who donated $500. He doesn't even know me or her," said Riggin.

So far, Riggin has raised $4,000 for the Reynolds, who are ever grateful for all the help they can get.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

One of the things that is disturbing here (it's all disturbing) is that it states here that the number of deaths in the L.A. area will grow even higher as a result of the holiday gatherings.  At the time of the holidays, the virus had been known and highly reported for 9 months.  And yet people were gathering and spreading the disease?  I find thaose actions stunningly horrible.  What were these people thinking?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    cutz said:

MILMONT PARK, Pennsylvania (WPVI) -- A family's holiday party in Milmont Park, Delaware County turned out to be a COVID-19 superspreader event.

It was on December 26 that 55-year-old Darlene Reynolds woke up with a scratchy tickle in her throat. This was one day before she was planning to have family members come over from as far as Canada for a holiday gathering.

"I had no fever because I kept checking it - no fever, no fever, no fever. I said, 'I'll keep a distance since I have a tiny little cough,'" said Reynolds.
    The next day, family members arrived for the party. Soon, she said, people started getting sick.

"So we were sick, but we didn't know we had COVID. We could've had the flu, but it was scary," said Reynolds. "We got tested and we tested positive. And then my husband tested positive the next day. And then (my daughter) was getting sick and she tested positive and my son tested positive."

In all, 18 family members ranging in ages from one to 62 became sickened with the virus.

Reynolds' son and husband, Stephen, ended up in the hospital. Stephen has spent the last nine days at Riddle Hospital.

"He's headed in the right direction; he'll need oxygen when he comes home," said Reynolds' daughter, Joy Purdie.

Meanwhile, Stephen's business called Mini Movers got sidelined when their truck broke down and now they have no income.

Lisa Riggin of J. Riggin Painting saw the story on Facebook and decided to step in.

"The truck's been down for a month and they haven't had income and I just don't want to see them lose their home or their business," said Riggin, who set up Venmo and PayPal accounts on her Facebook to raise money for the family.

"People are donating, not as much as I would like, but people are responding. We had a guy last night who donated $500. He doesn't even know me or her," said Riggin.

So far, Riggin has raised $4,000 for the Reynolds, who are ever grateful for all the help they can get.
    Huh, so playing stupid games sometimes doesn't result in stupid prizes? Sucks about the business, but man, you hold a super spreader gathering and get some cash in the end.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

Huh, so playing stupid games sometimes doesn't result in stupid prizes? Sucks about the business, but man, you hold a super spreader gathering and get some cash in the end.
    "I had no fever because I kept checking it - no fever, no fever, no fever. I said, 'I'll keep a distance since I have a tiny little cough,'" 

"So we were sick, but we didn't know we had COVID. We could've had the flu, but it was scary,"

How f'ing stupid & ignorant can people be? 

• tbergs said:
    cutz said:

"I had no fever because I kept checking it - no fever, no fever, no fever. I said, 'I'll keep a distance since I have a tiny little cough,'" 

"So we were sick, but we didn't know we had COVID. We could've had the flu, but it was scary,"

Boundlessly so.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

"i'll keep a distance (until I'm passing the yams with the hand I just used to cover my cough with)". 

so many humans are so fucking selfish and stupid. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

It's just mind boggling.
    I spent Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's with only my wife and son, haven't seen my siblings or any of the in laws, and folks like the Reynolds-SuperSpreaders get fundraisers in their honor because they did exactly what they were told not to do, and the wife knew she was ill on top of it all.
    It is really pissing me off that I've made all the recommended sacrifices (and so many others have as well), yet we can't make any progress towards a return to normalcy because so many selfish and/or ignorant folks like the Reynolds-SuperSpreader clan are out there.
    But hey send them some money. They can use it to throw a welcome home celebration for Dad when they let him out of the hospital.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

Boundlessly so.
    This the new way of doing things. Fuck up royally, get a bunch of like-minded nitwits sick because we MUST get together; we’re special - then cash in.

I wanna play this game! No risk, no reward, right?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

I was thinking the same: Stupid !!

Regardless if this lady felt a "tiny little cough" or not, why are relatives coming in from  Canada?
    cutz said:

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

Regardless if this lady felt a "tiny little cough" or not, why are relatives coming in from  Canada?
    And how is this possible? US/Canadian border is closed except for essential travel. This wasn't for a Pearl Jam concert, so how did they get through?
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

And how is this possible? US/Canadian border is closed except for essential travel. This wasn't for a Pearl Jam concert, so how did they get through?

It's not. Flights from Canada to the US are essentially open to anyone, and Canadians can fly back to Canada. The difficulty is with Americans flying to Canada - that is restricted to a limited number of categories. It's the land border that is closed in both directions. 
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

It's not. Flights from Canada to the US are essentially open to anyone, and Canadians can fly back to Canada. The difficulty is with Americans flying to Canada - that is restricted to a limited number of categories. It's the land border that is closed in both directions. 
    Now there's a foolproof system to prevent virus spread between countries if I've ever heard one.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

Now there's a foolproof system to prevent virus spread between countries if I've ever heard one.

I have no idea what the data is for the US, or if they are even collecting this, but within Canada the rate of infections related to international arrivals is very low - less than 2% of cases, most months between 0.5 and 1.5%
  • Poncier said:

tbergs said:
    cutz said:

It's just mind boggling.
    I spent Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's with only my wife and son, haven't seen my siblings or any of the in laws, and folks like the Reynolds-SuperSpreaders get fundraisers in their honor because they did exactly what they were told not to do, and the wife knew she was ill on top of it all.
    It is really pissing me off that I've made all the recommended sacrifices (and so many others have as well), yet we can't make any progress towards a return to normalcy because so many selfish and/or ignorant folks like the Reynolds-SuperSpreader clan are out there.
    But hey send them some money. They can use it to throw a welcome home celebration for Dad when they let him out of the hospital.
    Right? I haven't been to a bar or restaurant since the pandemic started for me in March of last year, have only seen immediate family in my bubble and haven't traveled for any kind of fun. I even thought the other day, after taking a night walk, less people around, that when this is over, there should be massive block parties around the country for us to celebrate. Then I thought we might not ever get there because of the selfish amongst us. Mind boggling indeed.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/06/28/torontos-covid-19-divide-the-citys-northwest-corner-has-been-failed-by-the-system.html

This is a good article showing how race, immigration, labour and geography are implicit in the spread of covid-19 among the poor and marginalized showing that quarantine is a luxury of high socioeconomic status groups.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Los Angeles County just announced that people over 65 can get appointments online for the vaccine.  I am trying to apply for my mom

Of course, the website is impossible to reach....I keep hitting F5....reminds me of a ticket on-sale....brings a happy tear to my eyes!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Los Angeles County just announced that people over 65 can get appointments online for the vaccine.  I am trying to apply for my mom

Of course, the website is impossible to reach....I keep hitting F5....reminds me of a ticket on-sale....brings a happy tear to my eyes!
    Crazy....why are some places having so much trouble rolling these out?
This discussion has been closed.