*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited January 2021
    pjhawks said:
    Wow Marc Stein saying Houston wants to complete a trade TODAY
    it would be just like the Sixers to be playing as well as anyone in the league and make a dumb trade.
    Your boy had a grand total of 5 points last night 
    and 12 assists and 6 rebounds.  But yea let's trade him for an older player who is out of shape and forcing his way out of his current team. 

edit: thankfully the Nets are dumber than the Sixers.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Well thank god, now we can move on.
    Dodged a bullet. I can hop on the Beal train for the right price though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited January 2021
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    it would be just like the Sixers to be playing as well as anyone in the league and make a dumb trade.
    Hey, he had 6 fouls too. 
    6 turnovers too! Lol I love the guy and if it were up to me I would keep him but thinking about it objectively it’s a no brainer at this point. The only way I object at this point is if Maxey is included, that would upset me. Shake I could live with (only because of what Maxey has showed us so far) and Thybulle would be ideal (sorry bud).
    So glad those rumors did not come true
    What are your thoughts on a Beal trade? Younger and a better fit IMO...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    Hey, he had 6 fouls too. 
    6 turnovers too! Lol I love the guy and if it were up to me I would keep him but thinking about it objectively it’s a no brainer at this point. The only way I object at this point is if Maxey is included, that would upset me. Shake I could live with (only because of what Maxey has showed us so far) and Thybulle would be ideal (sorry bud).
    Based on what New Jersey just gave up for a fat guy, I don't want to even consider what that would entail with him being in your conference, too.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    Hey, he had 6 fouls too. 
    Based on what New Jersey just gave up for a fat guy, I don't want to even consider what that would entail with him being in your conference, too.
    HAHA^^^Fat guy^^(He does look fat)

Here's the trade according to Woj & Romona SHelburne:

I kind of hate that he got to go to his 1st choice but glad Sixers didn't give up Simmons, Maxey and 1st round picks.  Short term helps the Nets but it's a one maybe two year thing at best for them. 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    Hey, he had 6 fouls too. 
    I like that he’s younger and isn’t a complete POS like Harden. Would probably be cheaper too which makes no sense to me. Problem is he needs to request a trade to tank his value a bit, for whatever reason he’s remained content with less-than mediocrity in Washington for awhile now. I would have to think that if he keeps averaging 30+ And they keep sucking he would have to get fed up at some point before the deadline. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:
    I kind of hate that he got to go to his 1st choice but glad Sixers didn't give up Simmons, Maxey and 1st round picks.  Short term helps the Nets but it's a one maybe two year thing at best for them. 
    Yeah, the spoiled rich kid got his way.

Now that I see the whole trade the Nets lost a lot of depth and their rim protector in Jarret Allen.  And, how is that Flake Kyrie Irving gonna feel about playing with  Harden? He didn't like playing with LeBron.
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    Hey, he had 6 fouls too. 
    I like that he’s younger and isn’t a complete POS like Harden. Would probably be cheaper too which makes no sense to me. Problem is he needs to request a trade to tank his value a bit, for whatever reason he’s remained content with less-than mediocrity in Washington for awhile now. I would have to think that if he keeps averaging 30+ And they keep sucking he would have to get fed up at some point before the deadline. 
    The trade deadline is still over 2 months away though. Plenty of time for things to happen. 

We get some guys back for tonight. Be nice to get a sweep.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Not sure why I thought of this but did anyone remember the show thirtysomething? Forgot it took place in philly, but I do remember recording this episode on my VCR because it involved the Sixers. I have to revisit this show

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    My boy only had 10 tonight...but wait he had a triple double. In fact it was his 30th of his career and is the third fastest ever to 30 triple doubles.  If only he took a bunch of threes instead....
    edited January 2021
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    My boy only had 10 tonight...but wait he had a triple double. In fact it was his 30th of his career and is the third fastest ever to 30 triple doubles.  If only he took a bunch of threes instead....
    Good game for Ben coming off one of worst. That is for sure.

Ben is elite at just about everything on a basketball court. He's amazing. That is why he has been able to put up stat lines like last night since he came into the league. The problem is, the one thing he is not elite at, shooting a basketball, is a rather large flaw in the game of basketball. He's not just elite, he's really bad at it to the point where he completely neglects it. And every year he has managed to remain healthy for the playoffs, good teams in a half court game have been able to expose that weakness greatly. 

This is his fourth year in the league. His numbers are down across the board. And I cannot think of an aspect of his game that he has significantly improved upon since his rookie year. I love the guy and was so happy when they drafted him. I just assumed he would improve on this part of his game, but he hasn't. He's got to be able to shoot the basketball for this team to be able to win in the post season. Thank god Morey was able to surround him with guys who can shoot to create more spacing. That is definitely helping. But he will continue to be the subject of trade rumors unless he somehow learns how to shoot a basketball outside of the paint. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Not sure why I thought of this but did anyone remember the show thirtysomething? Forgot it took place in philly, but I do remember recording this episode on my VCR because it involved the Sixers. I have to revisit this show

Classic! I heard they are rebooting that show too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

Ben is elite at just about everything on a basketball court. He's amazing. That is why he has been able to put up stat lines like last night since he came into the league. The problem is, the one thing he is not elite at, shooting a basketball, is a rather large flaw in the game of basketball. He's not just elite, he's really bad at it to the point where he completely neglects it. And every year he has managed to remain healthy for the playoffs, good teams in a half court game have been able to expose that weakness greatly. 

This is his fourth year in the league. His numbers are down across the board. And I cannot think of an aspect of his game that he has significantly improved upon since his rookie year. I love the guy and was so happy when they drafted him. I just assumed he would improve on this part of his game, but he hasn't. He's got to be able to shoot the basketball for this team to be able to win in the post season. Thank god Morey was able to surround him with guys who can shoot to create more spacing. That is definitely helping. But he will continue to be the subject of trade rumors unless he somehow learns how to shoot a basketball outside of the paint. 
    He also needs to go to the rim stronger and not be so afraid of getting fouled. I think that this is the more immediate problem that is a more realistic fix in the short term. The assumption seems to be that he doesn’t want to get fouled because he knows he might miss the free throws. But I heard someone on the Sixers subreddit throw out a pretty interesting stat. Even if he shoots 60% from the line, that is still a projected 1.2 points per possession, which is the same as someone who shoots 40% from 3. And on top of that there’s the chance that he makes the original shot and gets an and-1. So he really just needs to do it. He is so horrible at finishing around the rim with finesse yet that is all he seems willing to do. 

But overall I’ve found myself at a happy medium with Ben. I don’t love him and I don’t hate him. He’s a weird player that’s impossible to understand. The question is, can they make a legit run without having that 3-level bucket getter? And how long can we afford to wait to find out if it still ends up being a question mark (i.e. what if one of our starters is hurt in the playoffs and we say “well maybe if we were full strength everything would have clicked and it would have turned out differently” so we try again with only making marginal roster changes). If you can get that guy without giving up Ben, then you do it at any cost I say. If not, then I honestly don’t know. If we can get Beal for Ben then do we do it? Is it worth the risk of losing the defense and the play making that Ben brings? But if you don’t do it then your risking wasting a year of Joel’s prime, which might not be a very long one. 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

He has improved defensively since a rookie.  the only two players to have as many triple doubles this early in their career are two of the 10-15 greatest players off all time.  And he was almost traded for an elite player.  I think most GMs in the NBA would take him.

it is nice to see the Sixers have some different options shooters and with the bench.  you know I'm not the biggest NBA game fan because the game is often boring to me, but have to admit this  Sixers team at this point is pretty fun to watch.  Even Embiid is only mildly annoying so far.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

He has improved defensively since a rookie.  the only two players to have as many triple doubles this early in their career are two of the 10-15 greatest players off all time.  And he was almost traded for an elite player.  I think most GMs in the NBA would take him.

it is nice to see the Sixers have some different options shooters and with the bench.  you know I'm not the biggest NBA game fan because the game is often boring to me, but have to admit this  Sixers team at this point is pretty fun to watch.  Even Embiid is only mildly annoying so far.
    He has improved defensively. That is true. However he was already really really good to start given his unique combo of size and speed. 

The thing he needed to improve upon the most after being drafted is the one thing he has not improved on much at all. In his fourth season, I don't think that's acceptable anymore. 

Also, he was not almost traded for an elite player on his own. The other team demanded Maxey, Thybulle, and a shit ton of draft picks. Ben's only 24 and locked up for four more seasons. That tells you his stock may not be quite as high as you think
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

He also needs to go to the rim stronger and not be so afraid of getting fouled. I think that this is the more immediate problem that is a more realistic fix in the short term. The assumption seems to be that he doesn’t want to get fouled because he knows he might miss the free throws. But I heard someone on the Sixers subreddit throw out a pretty interesting stat. Even if he shoots 60% from the line, that is still a projected 1.2 points per possession, which is the same as someone who shoots 40% from 3. And on top of that there’s the chance that he makes the original shot and gets an and-1. So he really just needs to do it. He is so horrible at finishing around the rim with finesse yet that is all he seems willing to do. 

But overall I’ve found myself at a happy medium with Ben. I don’t love him and I don’t hate him. He’s a weird player that’s impossible to understand. The question is, can they make a legit run without having that 3-level bucket getter? And how long can we afford to wait to find out if it still ends up being a question mark (i.e. what if one of our starters is hurt in the playoffs and we say “well maybe if we were full strength everything would have clicked and it would have turned out differently” so we try again with only making marginal roster changes). If you can get that guy without giving up Ben, then you do it at any cost I say. If not, then I honestly don’t know. If we can get Beal for Ben then do we do it? Is it worth the risk of losing the defense and the play making that Ben brings? But if you don’t do it then your risking wasting a year of Joel’s prime, which might not be a very long one. 
    Yeah he is not good at finishing either. You are right. The reason he's fg% is so high within 3ft is because he's primarily taking those shots uncontested. That is another frustrating thing. The dude is such a beast and an athletic freak of nature. Just impose your will! Sometimes he does, but mostly he spins around and frantically tries to find the open shooter. Luckily this year we have multiple guys who are making those shots. 

I'm with you on being at a happy medium but I think the time is running out on that. I just cannot fathom how a guy with all that talent, and who has devoted so much of his life to this sport cannot and will not shoot the basketball. It's frustrating as fuck! He's elite at so many things. Add a fucking jumper and he's superstar just like that. 

If a guy like Beal is available at a somewhat reasonable price, I think you'd have to seriously consider it. Any team with Embiid on the court will always be at least a good defensive team anyway. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I honestly don’t care about the jump shot. Giannis forces up shots now and I really don’t think it helps his team at all, and I think Simmons’s percentages would be even worse if he tried the same thing. I think if he went to the rim stronger and got fouled more he would be averaging 20 or 21 instead of 16. Add that on top of the fact that he’s a legit triple double threat every night and I think most of us chill out about the jumper. 
    RiotZact said:
    I honestly don’t care about the jump shot. Giannis forces up shots now and I really don’t think it helps his team at all, and I think Simmons’s percentages would be even worse if he tried the same thing. I think if he went to the rim stronger and got fouled more he would be averaging 20 or 21 instead of 16. Add that on top of the fact that he’s a legit triple double threat every night and I think most of us chill out about the jumper. 
    Well at least Giannis is making strides to improve that part of his game. 

I don't really care about Ben's percentages. If he starts shooting, he's going to start making some at some point. At the very least it will make the defense have to pay attention to him on the perimeter instead of being ten feet away from him and clogging up things in the middle for Embiid. That has been this team's achilleas heel in the playoffs over the last few years. 

I agree he will average more points by going to the rim stronger (he's averaging 12 this year, not 16)…but why can't he do both?

chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    Well at least Giannis is making strides to improve that part of his game. 

I don't really care about Ben's percentages. If he starts shooting, he's going to start making some at some point. At the very least it will make the defense have to pay attention to him on the perimeter instead of being ten feet away from him and clogging up things in the middle for Embiid. That has been this team's achilleas heel in the playoffs over the last few years. 

I agree he will average more points by going to the rim stronger (he's averaging 12 this year, not 16)…but why can't he do both?

Yeah the 12 points a game so far this year is unreal, I have faith that will go up though, even if he doesn’t start shooting or getting to the line. 16 is his career average and I’m sure he’ll get back to that soon enough one way or another. 

I guess I just don’t have the faith that if he starts chucking up shots they will start falling in after awhile. I don’t understand why that would happen. I’m willing to accept that he’s an exceptionally bad shooter by NBA standards and that there are other things he could fix much more easily like finishing strong and committing less turnovers. 

I just cringe when I see guys like derozen chuck up 3s at 27% a clip. Any defense that is respecting that and giving up space for it is dumb. I know he’s a killer from midrange but Simmons appears to be even worse from midrange than from 3 from what I’ve noticed. 

As far as “why not both?” I just don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to make huge strides in multiple aspects of his offensive game when when he’s literally made no progress whatsoever (on offense) in 4 years. I’d be more than happy with baby steps for now and if the shots start falling for him more as the years go on then great. 
    Yeah but baby steps should have started 4 years ago. I mean he's 24 years old and in his 4th season in the NBA and either can't or won't shoot the ball outside of the paint. It's ridiculous. Triple doubles in January are awesome but I'm thinking ahead to the post season where the same issues we had before will likely still be a problem if he's not able to shoot...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah but baby steps should have started 4 years ago. I mean he's 24 years old and in his 4th season in the NBA and either can't or won't shoot the ball outside of the paint. It's ridiculous. Triple doubles in January are awesome but I'm thinking ahead to the post season where the same issues we had before will likely still be a problem if he's not able to shoot...
    But that's why you surround him with shooters so he doesn't have to.  The path has always been Embiid and Simmons with 3 shooters around them.  I agree with RiotZact above and the argument I've been making about him in why do want a guy who can't shoot to shoot.
    edited January 2021
    pjhawks said:
    But that's why you surround him with shooters so he doesn't have to.  The path has always been Embiid and Simmons with 3 shooters around them.  I agree with RiotZact above and the argument I've been making about him in why do want a guy who can't shoot to shoot.
    You don't get it. The reason he doesn't shoot is because he can't shoot. Lol. It's the chicken or the egg here.

He's in his fourth season and is unable to shoot the basketball. Your second best player not being able to make a shot outside of 3 feet is a big problem come playoff time as we have seen before even when they had shooters (he was hurt last year when they had less than the years before). That means you are more dependent on lesser tier players to shoot the lights out while you hide Ben somewhere down in the post or corner. That is not exactly a recipe for success. This is 2020. Centers shoot the ball nowadays. 

Hopefully almost being traded lights a fire in him or something. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited January 2021
    pjhawks said:
    You don't get it. The reason he doesn't shoot is because he can't shoot. Lol. It's the chicken or the egg here.

He's in his fourth season and is unable to shoot the basketball. Your second best player not being able to make a shot outside of 3 feet is a big problem come playoff time as we have seen before even when they had shooters (he was hurt last year when they had less than the years before). That means you are more dependent on lesser tier players to shoot the lights out while you hide Ben somewhere down in the post or corner. That is not exactly a recipe for success. This is 2020. Centers shoot the ball nowadays. 

If Embiid is a true MVP-type guy the playoffs will be determined by him not Simmons.  

and just because centers shoot 3s doesn't mean they should.  The two-time reigning MVP is a less than 30% career 3 point shooter. Every time he takes one it's a win for the defense. 

think about this from your opponents perspective. defensively you are begging Simmons to take 3s. so why as an offense am i going to insist he do that?  I think Doc Rivers get's it.  

Post edited by pjhawks on
    edited January 2021
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

If Embiid is a true MVP-type guy the playoffs will be determined by him not Simmons.  

and just because centers shoot 3s doesn't mean they should.  The two-time reigning MVP is a less than 30% career 3 point shooter. Every time he takes one it's a win for the defense. 

think about this from your opponents perspective. defensively you are begging Simmons to take 3s. so why as an offense am i going to insist he do that?  I think Doc Rivers get's it.  

You need two superstars to win in this league. Why do you think they just tried to get Harden (and why did the Nets get him when they already have Durant? dur)?

Modern NBA is all about spacing .

As we've already seen in two post seasons, opposing defenses are delighted that Ben Simmons is incapable of shooting a basketball as they can just about ignore him in a half court offense and double team the Sixers best player. He's gotta learn how to shoot the ball or else this team is bound to have the same issues, come the post season, that they've had the last few years. Time for Ben to step up and improve his craft.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    For the record, just because I’m willing to cut Simmons some slack doesn’t mean I think the Sixers can win a ring with him as the clear cut 2nd best player on the team. I just really like the guy and pray that there’s some sort of way Morey can bring in someone to be 2A and 2B with Simmons to take the pressure off of Embiid in crunch time. If he can’t, then I’ve accepted that Embiid’s prime can’t be gambled with much longer. 
    RiotZact said:
    For the record, just because I’m willing to cut Simmons some slack doesn’t mean I think the Sixers can win a ring with him as the clear cut 2nd best player on the team. I just really like the guy and pray that there’s some sort of way Morey can bring in someone to be 2A and 2B with Simmons to take the pressure off of Embiid in crunch time. If he can’t, then I’ve accepted that Embiid’s prime can’t be gambled with much longer. 
    Agree with you here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited January 2021
    RiotZact said:
    Agree with you here.
    I suppose the main point I was trying to make earlier is that I’m done getting my hopes up for the jump shot. It’s just too disheartening at this point and I’d rather stop torturing myself waiting for it. So my sights are setting on more plausible improvements. If he’s still not getting to the line and still turning the ball over at a high rate in 2 years then perhaps I will set my sights on hoping he will learn to.......I don’t know? Spin the ball on his finger?
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    Agree with you here.
    I suppose the main point I was trying to make earlier is that I’m done getting my hopes up for the jump shot. It’s just too disheartening at this point and I’d rather stop torturing myself waiting for it. So my sights are setting on more plausible improvements. If he’s still not getting to the line and still turning the ball over at a high rate in 2 years then perhaps I will set my sights on hoping he will learn to.......I don’t know? Spin the ball on his finger?
    I understand. And I'm not really getting my hopes up either. I guess the difference for me is whereas before I was patient and trusted that he would eventually improve on these areas, now I'm just kinda pissed that he hasn't over four years in. 
    chinese-happy.jpg