Mike McCready Fender Custom Shop Strat

Only 15 grand and it can be yours. I wish they would mass produce and reasonably priced both this and the les paul so us normal folk could afford them. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.guitarworld.com/amp/news/fender-discovers-mike-mccreadys-fabled-59-strat-is-actually-a-1960-model-during-the-creation-of-new-custom-shop-replica
Virginia Beach 2000
DC 2003
DC 2004 (VFC)
DC 2006
Pittsburgh 2006
Bonnaroo 2008
Virginia Beach 2008
DC 2008
Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
PJ 20 night 1
PJ 20 night 2
Phoenix 2013
LA 1 2013
Memphis 2014
Jacksonville 2016
Greenville 2016
Hampton 2016
Columbia 2016
Fenway 1 2016
Fenway 2 2016
Wrigley 1 2018
Wrigley 2 2018
Fenway 1 2018
Fenway 2 2018
Sea Hear Now 2021
Nashville 2022
Louisville 2022

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    that thing is badass.

unfortunately custom shop versions of legendary guitars like this are never, ever going to be affordable for weekend players like me. so much time and craftsmanship goes into them.

you can always talk to a luthier and see if they can recreate it for you. i know 8 or 9 years ago there was a guy here that had one made for a fraction of that price. screen name was redmosquito or something like that.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited January 2021

How badass would it be to have the 59 Les Paul relic and 60 Fender relic hanging next to each other on your wall? 

With a relic I think you have to play it.  Can't do much more damage to it then McCready already has.  Maybe there will be a cheaper version like there was with the Les Paul custom shop.  It's an art purchase really at that price level. 

How badass would it be to have the 59 Les Paul relic and 60 Fender relic hanging next to each other on your wall? 

With a relic I think you have to play it.  Can't do much more damage to it then McCready already has.  Maybe there will be a cheaper version like there was with the Les Paul custom shop.  It's an art purchase really at that price level. 

yeah it is for collectors. 

i think it was pretty beat up already when mike got it. still though, that thing is a museum piece.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

edited January 2021
    I sat down and had a family meeting.  Saw that it was just me as single with no kids.  I said to myself, “you stayed single for these opportunities” and ordered one of these guitars.  I am sure I will regret it someday.
    I sat down and had a family meeting.  Saw that it was just me as single with no kids.  I said to myself, “you stayed single for these opportunities” and ordered one of these guitars.  I am sure I will regret it someday.
    WOW that is so awesome!!! can't wait to see some pics!!! i am in the same boat with being single and no kids, but i can't swing it right now. i am gonna regret that some day, lol.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Congrats, man!  That is awesome.  One of the coolest guitars ever, in my opinion.  Please share pics with the group when she arrives.  Will you play it or just display it?

Thanks!  I will play it while being super careful (although it comes pre-beat up) but probably not too often unless it sounds absolutely incredible.   Like I said  it really is more of a piece of art because you could get a guitar that sounds the same for a lot cheaper.  The draw for me is that I started playing guitar when I was 15 back in 1996 because of Pearl Jam and PJ has been a huge part of my life (the music obviously but also meeting lifelong friends and travel along the way).  This guitar will be a cool reminder of everything when I find a good spot to display it.   It will only be a replica for a few months until Mike takes it on tour again and damages his even more!
    Thanks!  I will play it while being super careful (although it comes pre-beat up) but probably not too often unless it sounds absolutely incredible.   Like I said  it really is more of a piece of art because you could get a guitar that sounds the same for a lot cheaper.  The draw for me is that I started playing guitar when I was 15 back in 1996 because of Pearl Jam and PJ has been a huge part of my life (the music obviously but also meeting lifelong friends and travel along the way).  This guitar will be a cool reminder of everything when I find a good spot to display it.   It will only be a replica for a few months until Mike takes it on tour again and damages his even more!
    so you are saying is is basically a screenshot of the guitar at the time it was duplicated, haha.

you can add dings to it as mike's gets them!

Haha.  It would be neat to compare the actual versus the replica in person just to see how close they are able to get.  
    Haha.  It would be neat to compare the actual versus the replica in person just to see how close they are able to get.  
    i am sure the custom shop got really close. there are people who have dedicated their lives to recreating these instruments, so they take it really seriously. 

i need to go back and try to find some pics of when it was new to mike vs how it looks now. i can't imagine mike would try to beat up a 60 strat too badly on purpose. 

I am not big on #'s of items but I did request if it was possible to get #60.  Unlikely but would be cool. 
  • How badass would it be to have the 59 Les Paul relic and 60 Fender relic hanging next to each other on your wall? 

yeah it is for collectors. 

i think it was pretty beat up already when mike got it. still though, that thing is a museum piece.
    I couldn't imagine owning a guitar and NOT playing it unless it was a destroyed stage used.  If I was given one I'd play it.  So if you want to get me something nice, please do.
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    Peach Guitars in the UK has this on their website for a very hefty price & saying it is out of stock. Has it even been released?
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
    BALLBOY said:
    Peach Guitars in the UK has this on their website for a very hefty price & saying it is out of stock. Has it even been released?
    The guitars probably won’t be ready until November/December. It was announced about a month ago though and shops were reserving and selling them for pre-order.
    Just got a call that my Mccready is on its way.  Should get tomorrow.  I expected this to come six months from now.  Crazy.

• qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    Fun!

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Just got a call that my Mccready is on its way.  Should get tomorrow.  I expected this to come six months from now.  Crazy.

Badass!!! Can't wait to see some pics of it. Enjoy!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Whoa ...  pretty amazing!

I need to figure out how they made that to spec.   Might tempt me to play it (if I had it) knowing I could put a nick in it by accident and not be freaked the heck as it would blend in.

Just don't get into a sitcom situation where someone you know decides to surprise you by fixing up that "beat up guitar" with a new paint job!
    Haha.  That sitcom comment was pretty funny. I am definitely going to play this guitar.  
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Haha.  That sitcom comment was pretty funny. I am definitely going to play this guitar.  
    How many did they make? Seems like they sold out in minutes despite the large asking price. Sweet looking guitar and glad its going to someone who will actually play it.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    How many did they make? Seems like they sold out in minutes despite the large asking price. Sweet looking guitar and glad its going to someone who will actually play it.
    60 made.  It is already scraped up so no sense not playing it. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    pjpjpaul said:
    Are there literally "scratches" on that guitar?  That isn't a composite shell, it's the real deal?  Same wood as the OG?
    pjpjpaul said:
    Are there literally "scratches" on that guitar?  That isn't a composite shell, it's the real deal?  Same wood as the OG?
    From what I understand they start with a guitar as close to what it would have been new (back then) and then age it by hand to look like it has been beat to hell over the years. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

So awesome
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    pjpjpaul said:
    From what I understand they start with a guitar as close to what it would have been new (back then) and then age it by hand to look like it has been beat to hell over the years. 
    The wood is what I was curious about being that ash is hard to find now.
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    pjpjpaul said:
    The wood is what I was curious about being that ash is hard to find now.
    Is it really that hard to find now? I know fender said they were going to stop using it on certain instruments but I still see it being used by warmoth and in some fender stuff and a few other companies. Not nearly as prevalent as it once was but still more than I thought would be out there. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2