Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Mike McCready Fender Custom Shop Strat

2»

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,138
    F’n awesome. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 28,164
    It is made of alder. 
    Yes, I found this out afterwards.  I did not know that Alder was even a wood.  Learn something new every day!

pjpjpaul said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    Haha.  That sitcom comment was pretty funny. I am definitely going to play this guitar.  
    How many did they make? Seems like they sold out in minutes despite the large asking price. Sweet looking guitar and glad its going to someone who will actually play it.
    60 made.  It is already scraped up so no sense not playing it. 
    Are there literally "scratches" on that guitar?  That isn't a composite shell, it's the real deal?  Same wood as the OG?
    From what I understand they start with a guitar as close to what it would have been new (back then) and then age it by hand to look like it has been beat to hell over the years. 
    The wood is what I was curious about being that ash is hard to find now.
    Is it really that hard to find now? I know fender said they were going to stop using it on certain instruments but I still see it being used by warmoth and in some fender stuff and a few other companies. Not nearly as prevalent as it once was but still more than I thought would be out there. 
    Ash has become increasingly hard to find.  We have a thread about it somewhere.  Baseball bats are now made of maple instead of ash.  The Emerald beetle is destroying the Ash trees unfortunately.

Aaaaand the big question.  How does it sound?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 13,620

Aaaaand the big question.  How does it sound?
    I may be a little bit clouded by the hoopla of it all, but when I hit the low E at the beginning of Ledbetter it sounds just about exactly like McCeady.  It sounds fantastic and it definitely has a broken in feel to it.  It sounds a lot different than the strats I have now.  

Paying for the art and nostalgia but the guitar is awesome as a guitar.
  • DennisDennis Posts: 26
    Wow! Can‘t wait to get mine! What is the „McCready case candy kit“ mentioned in the product description?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 18,871

I think I'm going to use your "no kids" Jedi mind-trick to justify getting a new american ultra strat =)

Good to know a few of these got into the hands of the fans.  I assumed some tech billionaire just bought the whole batch.

Also, I think it is a good investment as it will only go up in value.   Car, guitars, watches, baby. 
    Dennis said:
    Wow! Can‘t wait to get mine! What is the „McCready case candy kit“ mentioned in the product description?
    I will send you a pm in case some want it to be a surprise. It is cool. 
    Jason P said:

I think I'm going to use your "no kids" Jedi mind-trick to justify getting a new american ultra strat =)

Good to know a few of these got into the hands of the fans.  I assumed some tech billionaire just bought the whole batch.

Also, I think it is a good investment as it will only go up in value.   Car, guitars, watches, baby. 
    Buy it and ask for forgiveness later!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 19,363
    Oh man, congratulations! May it bring many many years of happiness to you! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Jason P said:

I can't imagine anyone trying to corner the market on these, lol.

It would be cool to know if any other musicians picked one up to play instead of paying 500G's for an OG.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin LouisPosts: 18,955
    man that is fucking awesome!! congratulations!!!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 25,606
    Damn I just saw this thread, that guitar is amazing!!!!!! So jealous.   Did you get number 60?
    mike uses that on what songs? Even flow, yellow, alive, ?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......