The coronavirus

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:
    I just spoke with my cousin who lives in London. She said lots of folks are out during the day, mostly walking or at the park. And only about half, if any, wear masks. I told her how things are here (yesterday a large group of anti-maskers swarmed into a local store and harassed the staff and masked customers; similar incidents occur almost daily), and we marveled at the week’s happening at the Capitol. Unheard of. 

Interesting to hear the perspective of a family member abroad.

And she still can’t wait to visit the States again! Mostly to see the clan, but still. 
    I'm just curious, have you or anyone else here actually seen anything like that? I saw a story on the news like that. But I can't even remember the last time I saw a single person in public not wearing a mask. Its been months. And I do most of the shopping for the house, we flew twice over the summer. I've never actually seen an issue with anyone wearing a mask. Have I just been lucky, Because I certainly wouldn't describe that as how things are here. I just assumed its one of those things where it happens once and makes national news. But isn't very wide spread at all. Or is that wrong?
    In NYC, I see some people walking around outside without a mask, or with it pulled down, but always see masks on everyone inside. There was just one time when I was buying a sandwich at a bodega, and there was a customer chatting with her friend near the cash register without a mask. The cashier motioned me to come over and pay, and I said that I wasn't going over there until that person either left, or pulled her mask back up. The cashier told her to pull her mask up, and she did so without any argument. There was a sign on the door saying that all customers must wear masks so I don't know why the cashier took so long to tell her, but there was no problem at all once he did. I have yet to encounter true anti-maskers.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    GlowGirl said:
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:
    I just spoke with my cousin who lives in London. She said lots of folks are out during the day, mostly walking or at the park. And only about half, if any, wear masks. I told her how things are here (yesterday a large group of anti-maskers swarmed into a local store and harassed the staff and masked customers; similar incidents occur almost daily), and we marveled at the week’s happening at the Capitol. Unheard of. 

And she still can’t wait to visit the States again! Mostly to see the clan, but still. 
    I'm just curious, have you or anyone else here actually seen anything like that? I saw a story on the news like that. But I can't even remember the last time I saw a single person in public not wearing a mask. Its been months. And I do most of the shopping for the house, we flew twice over the summer. I've never actually seen an issue with anyone wearing a mask. Have I just been lucky, Because I certainly wouldn't describe that as how things are here. I just assumed its one of those things where it happens once and makes national news. But isn't very wide spread at all. Or is that wrong?
    In NYC, I see some people walking around outside without a mask, or with it pulled down, but always see masks on everyone inside. There was just one time when I was buying a sandwich at a bodega, and there was a customer chatting with her friend near the cash register without a mask. The cashier motioned me to come over and pay, and I said that I wasn't going over there until that person either left, or pulled her mask back up. The cashier told her to pull her mask up, and she did so without any argument. There was a sign on the door saying that all customers must wear masks so I don't know why the cashier took so long to tell her, but there was no problem at all once he did. I have yet to encounter true anti-maskers.

i wouldn't be surprised if some employees simply look the other way for fear of being screamed at or assaulted in the current climate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I can’t even remember the last time I saw a person without a mask on inside.  Outside is a different story. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:

Every time I go to a store, I see at least a couple not wearing them, but the large majority are.  Outside, hardly anyone is wearing them from what I’ve observed.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It's around 60/40 mask/no mask here in rural Ohio.  
    If you require the mask to be over the nose to count, it's about 25/75 mask/no mask.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    GlowGirl said:
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:

There's a definite urban/rural difference from what I've experienced and read.  It's probably partly the general left/right mix in urban vs. rural but probably other things like the sort of "rugged individualism" in rural America and "we don't have the density of a big city" (which doesn't really matter two feet from someone when trying to pay for your energy drinks at the gas station...but people aren't thinking critically these days). There's probably peer pressure in the city to wear masks and peer pressure in the sticks not to.

I'm in St. Paul Minnesota and my weekly grocery trip is usually in an upscale store in an upscale neighborhood and I haven't seen anyone make a scene. And the last person* I saw without a mask there was probably in July or so. The local Target is also at 100% though I'd bet it's about a 10% "uncovered nose" rate.  We took a couple of trips up to the north shore in the summer, though. And that was the wild west.

*I think that person might have been former Viking Matt Birk who is possibly going to be our next governor, particularly with My Pillow Guy supporting insurrection.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:

I have not witnessed it firsthand (thankfully), though it's been all over CitizenApp for my area for a while, moreso over the last three or four months.  Our local news doesn't cover these incidents, for whatever reason.

In terms of wearing masks, most runners and those on bicycles go without.  About 80% use them otherwise.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    On the bright side, I read this morning that the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has found “no evidence of community circulation of influenza,” across the country, despite heightened testing levels.

So all of this masking and hand washing and social distancing is working like a hot damn for influenza at least.
    I figured we'd follow Australia's low flu pattern and didn't get the flu shot this year despite the double virus fears circulating. 
    PJPOWER said:
    Just got my first shot (Moderna).  Still waiting on the superpowers...but I’m hoping for telekinesis!
    Best thing I've read lately ^
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    She is the Research Director of French Institute of Health and Medical Research (Inserm)..

https://youtu.be/rrmTL08IFXc
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    According to this tweet from a Michigan politics reporter, the Michigan GOP is going to hold coronavirus vaccines hostage until the governor starts opening the economy. That’s an awesome strategy. Make sure everybody gets sick before the vaccine is distributed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonathanoosting/status/1347552416699449346
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Day 2 after Moderna shot-  Arm feels like it was hit with a baseball bat, but feel “normal” otherwise.  No fever yet.
    PJPOWER said:
    Day 2 after Moderna shot-  Arm feels like it was hit with a baseball bat, but feel “normal” otherwise.  No fever yet.
    Good news!

Meanwhile, in my city of “angels”...

hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Good news!

Whoa, wtf is wrong with people?  Does this kind of behavior get them anywhere in life?  
    PJPOWER said:
    hedonist said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Good news!

Whoa, wtf is wrong with people?  Does this kind of behavior get them anywhere in life?  
    “Find me sittin’ by myself, no excuses...”
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Ontario issues stay-at-home order, immediately declares second state of emergency | CTV News

A stay at home order has been issued for Ontario starting Thursday...

I live in southern Ontario...

People need the stay home...

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited January 2021
    ^ Did I read that right? You have to stay at home unless essential but can gather in groups of five and non-essential business closes early?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    tish said:
    ^ Did I read that right? You have to stay at home unless essential but can gather in groups of five?
    these health orders, across the country, often have contradictory and/or confusing sections in them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

At least that much is certain!
    Plus, hugh darlin, I edited that to include how non essential business closes early during the stay at home unless essential lockdown. 
    tish said:
    Plus, hugh darlin, I edited that to include how non essential business closes early during the stay at home unless essential lockdown. 
    yeah, i really don't get the "closing early" thing about these lockdowns. do they think all the anti-maskers and super spreaders only come at night to get a bottle of Crown?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Reminds me of this comedy break early on in the pandemic...

https://youtu.be/wVs5AyjzwRM
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    On the lighter side of things:

Image may contain text

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Image may contain text

Haha, love it!
    brianlux said:

Image may contain text

ba dum TISS
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

Image may contain text

ba dum TISS

LOL, a visual to go with that!
    Ba Dum GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    ^ Nice! :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Scheduled to get my first shot of the vaccine tomorrow. :triumph:
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Five days later and still no results.  I guess the labs are a tad behind.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Hobbes said:
    Scheduled to get my first shot of the vaccine tomorrow. :triumph:
    Rabies? Or distemper?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.