Trump has been permanently banned from Twitter

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Trump went 'ballistic' after being tossed off Twitter

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-went-ballistic-being-tossed-032346767.html

President Donald Trump has many prized possessions. But few seemed to inspire as much personal joy as his Twitter feed. Trump routinely boasted of the social media bullhorn he possessed. He credited it with launching his political trajectory. And he used it as a tool to lacerate his foes.

On Friday night, he lost it. And, then, he lost his mind.

The president is “ballistic,” a senior administration official said after Twitter permanently took down his account, citing the possibility that it would be used in the final 12 days of Trump’s presidency to incite violence. The official said Trump was “scrambling to figure out what his options are.”

So too was much of the political universe, which has become bleary-eyed obsessive about Twitter these past four years as Trump used the medium to fire advisers, sink legislative initiatives, encourage social duress and, lastly, praise the scores of MAGA faithful, just days after hundreds of them violently ransacked the Capitol.

In a statement issued by the White House, Trump said he’d been “negotiating with various other sites” while “we also look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future.” But aides did not reveal what plans were in the works. When Trump’s eldest son, Don Jr. offered up a URL to those hoping to keep tabs of his father’s whereabouts, it was a site that had been purchased in 2009 and, in recent years, a place where his books were sold. For those who did sign up, an email was sent, plugging his latest work: “Liberal Privilege”.

“As you know, the election is coming up,” it read, of the contest that took place two months ago.

For Trump, the Twitter ban was yet another inglorious passage to the final chapter of his presidency. Over the past two days, he’s been admonished by his own aides, chastised by Republicans, and threatened once more with impeachment.

Through it all, he’s been uncharacteristically quiet — banished temporarily at first from the main social media platforms but also unwilling to go out and speak before the press. The only times the public saw him were through awkwardly-edited White House produced-videos. In one, he urged for the rioting to end while clinging to the fiction that the election had been stolen from him. In another, he conceded he would not serve a second consecutive term.

There are no plans to immediately emerge from the cocoon either. One White House official said there were initial internal discussions between White House aides and Trump of doing a “last farewell interview.” But, the official added, “I’m not sure if they’re going to come to fruition,” much to the official’s chagrin.

“I don’t want the lasting impression of this administration to be what happened at the Capitol,” the official said. “We have a lot of accomplishments of this administration that should be highlighted so that we can leave a good final impression.”

Trump entered office boasting of how he was the “Hemingway of 140 characters” and crediting Twitter in particular for powering his political ascent. More than 56,000 tweets later, he leaves it amid a futile game of Whac-A-Mole with the tech moguls he despises, exiled to the outer provinces of the internet.

If this is how Trump’s presidency closes out, it will be a remarkable endnote. As a candidate for office, he was — at times — ubiquitous: posting outrageous takes on Twitter, calling into cable news shows, and grabbing the camera’s attention even when the podium on which he was set to hold a campaign rally was empty. Now, he’s increasingly isolated and receding from the spotlight. His favorite bullhorn is gone; oh, and the presidency is too.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Homer Simpson GIF - Find  Share on GIPHY
    :lol:
  • Everyone is applauding this.  All it does is ignite his base which seems to be growing more and more impatient about things.

This is bad.  It’s only going to drive a wedge in deeper.
    Haha.

Just fucking stop it.
    You’ve got no clue.

Watch these idiots start acting out now.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Everyone is applauding this.  All it does is ignite his base which seems to be growing more and more impatient about things.

The thing is, his base is computer illiterate and poor.  Ever been to Parler?  It's total shit software.  
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Start acting out? They have and will continue to act out.

Trump tweeted; base ignited. Trump banned; base ignited.
  • vaggar99 said:
    Everyone is applauding this.  All it does is ignite his base which seems to be growing more and more impatient about things.

The thing is, his base is computer illiterate and poor.  Ever been to Parler?  It's total shit software.  
    I’ve been wanting to see what these yahoo’s do and say on there but haven’t the push yet.
  • Crazy days
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    vaggar99 said:

I’ve been wanting to see what these yahoo’s do and say on there but haven’t the push yet.
    don't waste your time.  but, if enough non-Nazis start showing up there, it's going to make it that much harder for them to operate.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Haha.

Just fucking stop it.
    You’ve got no clue.

Haha, what's your definition of acting out? Apparently storming the capital to overthrow a government doesn't qualify.

Hobbes said:

They got no real platform.  That's big.  This truly is a great day for democracy.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    vaggar99 said:
    Hobbes said:

They got no real platform.  That's big.  This truly is a great day for democracy.
    It takes it out of the mainstream.  Its a great first step.  

Need to do this.  Talk of assassinating or executing elected officials needs to be stopped in its tracks.  That goes for everybody.  Private companies need to be held responsible if they failed to moderate that.  I was taught at a very young age, you never even kid about that stuff or secret service could end up at your doorstep
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i watched this all go down on twitter last night and it was glorious.

he got banned from @realdonaldtrump, came back and tried to do the exact same tweets from potus account. i tried to report those tweets and as soon as i started reporting them they disappeared. the entire account disappeared. then the same tweets showed up on the campaign account, the "text 44 etc" account. tried to report those and they disappeared. a little later he tried to use the account of the campaign digital director, forgot his name. same tweets appeared on that account. the account name was changed to Donald J Trump with blue checkmark, but the @ was to the owner of the account. Cody something if i remember correctly. then those disappeared. 

a little later rush limbaugh was banned. then we noticed the kraken and michael flynn gona as well. 

don jr is going to get banned next is my bet.

seriously though. twitter last night was like the last 15 minutes of The Godfather.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    my comment on the matter was "operation warp speed is now basically trump creating new twitter handles and sending out tweets before twitter can catch him."
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

he got banned from @realdonaldtrump, came back and tried to do the exact same tweets from potus account. i tried to report those tweets and as soon as i started reporting them they disappeared. the entire account disappeared. then the same tweets showed up on the campaign account, the "text 44 etc" account. tried to report those and they disappeared. a little later he tried to use the account of the campaign digital director, forgot his name. same tweets appeared on that account. the account name was changed to Donald J Trump with blue checkmark, but the @ was to the owner of the account. Cody something if i remember correctly. then those disappeared. 

a little later rush limbaugh was banned. then we noticed the kraken and michael flynn gona as well. 

seriously though. twitter last night was like the last 15 minutes of The Godfather.

"seriously though. twitter last night was like the last 15 minutes of The Godfather. "

:lol:   Awesome!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

the worst part is he put in more effort trying to break the twitter rules and get around his bans than he did at any time during the pandemic.

fuck him.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    There are still a ton of right wing platforms out there that are massive in size. The host of those sites need to crack down on them but when they do they just pop up some wheres else. Rinse and repeat. If you look at the massive ones like thedonald.win (I will not hyperlink it since I do not want to give them traffic) They have hundreds of thousands if not millions of unique users. This is not bots. This is how they mobilized for the run at the capitol building and it was on a public page for everyone to see as long as you can pass a captcha. For people in the higher ups to act like this was a surprise attack is a joke. 
    has he tried tweeting from the FLOTUS account yet? if she liked him she might let him use that.

couldn't have said it better.  I was actually taking a nap when phone notifications started blowing up.  I thought to myself "could this be the day".  And yes, it fucking was!  
  • has he tried tweeting from the FLOTUS account yet? if she liked him she might let him use that.
    No way Melania would hand over her phone to him. He might see thing he shouldn't. Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    MayDay10 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Hobbes said:

It takes it out of the mainstream.  Its a great first step.  

Need to do this.  Talk of assassinating or executing elected officials needs to be stopped in its tracks.  That goes for everybody.  Private companies need to be held responsible if they failed to moderate that.  I was taught at a very young age, you never even kid about that stuff or secret service could end up at your doorstep
    Absolutely.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    PJNB said:
    There are still a ton of right wing platforms out there that are massive in size. The host of those sites need to crack down on them but when they do they just pop up some wheres else. Rinse and repeat. If you look at the massive ones like thedonald.win (I will not hyperlink it since I do not want to give them traffic) They have hundreds of thousands if not millions of unique users. This is not bots. This is how they mobilized for the run at the capitol building and it was on a public page for everyone to see as long as you can pass a captcha. For people in the higher ups to act like this was a surprise attack is a joke. 
    There are platforms and echo chambers but not mainstream. 

The attack on congress as well as the terrorist cell in Michigan was a big wake-up call for authorities I think.  Large tech companies see the writing on the wall.  Violent rhetoric will be taken seriously and the platform will be found negligent as well if someone carries anything out.  

Anyone looking to go operational will be detected.  These are typically fat privileged Americans who think they can do or say anything, not people with no identification hiding in the mountains of waziristan.  
    has he tried tweeting from the FLOTUS account yet? if she liked him she might let him use that.
    No way Melania would hand over her phone to him. He might see thing he shouldn't. Haha.
    Her account for Farmers Only? Christian Mingle? J Date?
    i had like a 7 or 10 day ban here back in 2010 and that was hard. i can't imagine a twitter permaban. must be excruciating for donald. 

oh well, he did it to himself.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    i had like a 7 or 10 day ban here back in 2010 and that was hard. i can't imagine a twitter permaban. must be excruciating for donald. 

oh well, he did it to himself.
    Yeah, it like a Drug Addict going threw withdrawls. Trump will need to go to Rehab.
    junior is whining about "how can twitter ban by dad but not the ayatollah?? wahhhhhh"

hey dumbass, for a start, the ayatollah has not breached twitter community standards thousands of times.

trump is probably franticly looking for barron's school ipad right now.

all he needs to do is hold press conferences if he wants to get a message out.

or send ravens, but birds hate his guts too.

i just realized that a twitter permaban is basically infinite scaramuccis, haha

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

I heard on NPR this morning that Google and Apple are talking about cutting off FLOTUS apps due to inciting violence. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Haha.

Just fucking stop it.
    You’ve got no clue.

i'm honestly on the fence about it. on one hand, if you cut off the ease of communication of incitement, it makes it more difficult for these schmucks to organize. but a cornered rat is more dangerous than one that roams free. 

silencing people tends to enrage them. maybe they should have done something else, like had a "pause" on his tweets, so they could check them before they allowed them to be posted in case they violated the terms. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Haha.

Just fucking stop it.
    You’ve got no clue.

i'm honestly on the fence about it. on one hand, if you cut off the ease of communication of incitement, it makes it more difficult for these schmucks to organize. but a cornered rat is more dangerous than one that roams free. 

silencing people tends to enrage them. maybe they should have done something else, like had a "pause" on his tweets, so they could check them before they allowed them to be posted in case they violated the terms. 
    absolutely not.  He has used the platform for years to spread hate.  It's like taking a junkie's smack away for a week and then expecting that person to learn how to moderate in the meantime.  never gonna happen.  cold turkey.  and, he's never going to find a platform like Twitter again.