MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    tbergs said:
    The backstory of Piazza is fantastic. Gave a lot of kids hope in the 90's, me being one of them. Loved watching him hit.
    well, there were the steroids... :whistle:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I always thought some of his finest work was during the rock and jock softball game 

36:48

https://youtu.be/oAIroxeozXY
    cutz said:

that WAS classic but he’s still a fat, blue bleeding fuck.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    MayDay10 said:
    I always thought some of his finest work was during the rock and jock softball game 

piazza’s or lasorda’s?

fuck the both of ‘em.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    MayDay10 said:

piazza’s or lasorda’s?

fuck the both of ‘em.
    You do realize both teams, the one you hate and the one you love are both NY teams so not sure why all the hate...

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    R.I.P. Don Sutton
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Don Sutton
    Y

RIP to Sutton^^^

George Springer to Toronto

6/$150 MILL
    Wobbie said:
    MayDay10 said:

piazza’s or lasorda’s?

fuck the both of ‘em.
    You do realize both teams, the one you hate and the one you love are both NY teams so not sure why all the hate...

of course I realize that. the love/hate was just as strong in NY. my dad was a giants fan; my mom loved the yankees until her dying day.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88 said:
    R.I.P. Don Sutton
    u shiitin me?!?

RIP Donnnie.  Former player for many a team...
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    noooooooooooo
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    R.I.P. Hank Aaron
    I miss igotid88
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    RIP Hammerin' Hank
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Ah shit. So many legends passing away lately and now one of the best ever.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    edited January 2021
    Arenado to St Louis.

Holy hell!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    After 4 years on the stove, Cards snag Arenado.
    Thoughts?

Report: MLB proposes 154-game season to players' union
    1h ago
    LG Patterson / Major League Baseball / Getty
    LOS ANGELES CA - OCTOBER 25 Major League Baseball Commissioner Robert D Manfred Jr talks with Executive Director of the Major League Baseball Players Association Tony Clark during batting practice prior to Game 2 of the 2017 World Series between the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday October 25 2017 in Los Angeles California

Major League Baseball proposed a revised schedule to the players' union on Friday that would be 154 games in length, sources told Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports.

The proposed schedule revision, which the union is considering, would delay the beginning of the season by a month and extend it by an additional week, Brown adds.

The league will pay players in full and continue to use an expanded postseason as part of the proposal.

The expanded playoffs would include fourteen teams - two fewer than in 2020 - and would also include using the designated hitter position in the National League, according to Jared Diamond of The Wall Street Journal.

A neutral-site World Series is not part of the proposal, according to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times.

MLB's proposal comes six days after Arizona's Cactus League requested delaying the start of spring training due to concerns surrounding the surge of COVID-19 cases in Maricopa County.

Maricopa County, where Cactus League play occurs, has one of the nation's highest rates of COVID-19 infection in the United States, although data suggests the rates should decline by mid-March.

The league appears to be in favor of delaying the start of the season but needs approval from the players, who don't appear to be thinking similarly.

"While we, of course, share the goals of a safe spring training and regular season, MLB has repeatedly assured us that it has instructed its teams to be prepared for an on-time start to spring training and the regular season, and we continue to devote all our efforts to making sure that takes place as safely as possible," read an MLBPA statement about the Cactus League's request.

Florida, which hosts the Grapefruit League portion of spring training, is also a COVID-19 hotspot, with more than 1.7 million reported cases overall, according to CNN.

Spring training is currently scheduled to begin on Feb. 27.

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    They're right on opposing this for numerous reasons, among them what the agent posted on twitter.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2110007

Report: MLB, MLBPA reach deal for health and safety protocols in 2021
    1h ago
    Alex Trautwig / MLB / Getty Images
    LOS ANGELES CA - MARCH 22 Major League Baseball Commissioner Robert D Manfred Jr and Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director Tony Clark speak during a press conference before Game 3 of the Championship Round of the 2017 World Baseball Classic between Team USA and Team Puerto Rico on Wednesday March 22 2017 at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles California

Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association agreed to a deal on health and safety protocols for the 2021 campaign and spring training, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

The agreement includes seven-inning doubleheaders and a rule for extras that will see a runner start at second base to begin an inning, Sherman reports, adding that a universal designated hitter isn't part of the pact.

The MLBPA wants the DH in the NL and AL, but the league doesn't and maintained the matter is not a health and safety issue, adds Hannah Keyser of Yahoo Sports.

NBA-type tracing technology will be used to identify close contacts after a positive COVID-19 result, a source told Sherman.

Pitchers and catchers report for spring training on Feb. 17, and Opening Day is scheduled for April 1.

• 7 inning double headers and the man on 2nd rule.  Interesting.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I dig the 7 inning double headers. Runner on second is dumb. 
    I don't like the 7 inning DH. MLB is 9 Innings. HS plays 7 Innings games.

I also don't like the runner on 2nd to start Extras. MLB  ain't some weekend softball Tourney.

MLB now Doctoring the baseball: https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2110304

Price calls out MLB for deadening baseball: 'Pitchers knew all along'
    3h ago
    Jayne Kamin-Oncea / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    LOS ANGELES CA - FEBRUARY 12 David Price 33 and Mookie Betts 50 of the Los Angeles Dodgers arrive for an introductory press conference at Dodger Stadium on February 12 2020 in Los Angeles California

Major League Baseball has slightly deadened the baseball, according to a report from The Associated Press, and one starting pitcher is noting the hypocrisy of the move.

"Did I see MLB is 'slightly' deadening the baseball?!" Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander David Price asked via his Twitter. "I thought MLB said (the ball) hadn't been juiced? ... Pitchers knew all along!"

The former Cy Young winner and five-time All-Star also added he was "happy to see (MLB) attempting to go back to the regular baseball."

A fellow superstar also weighed in, replying to Price:

The move to deaden the baseball comes after a record amount of home runs were hit in 2017. That record was subsequently broken in 2019, with players combining to hit 6,776 homers in the regular season.

According to the report, MLB sent an internal memo that indicated baseballs that travel 375 feet or further will fly 1 or 2 feet shorter than the juiced ball of recent years.

Similarly, five more teams will be installing humidors in their ballparks, lifting the total number of clubs with humidity-controlled storage spaces for baseballs to 10. The Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks, Seattle Mariners, New York Mets, and Boston Red Sox currently have humidors installed. The new teams were not named.

Rob Manfred and MLB denied any changes to the baseball over the years, stating that any differences fell within the league parameters. The league eventually commissioned an investigation, which found that the ball did have less drag, specifically blaming the seam height. Other independent tests indicated that the coefficient of restitution - or the ball's bounciness - had also changed.

• Haven't they done studies and drop tested the balls and proved that nothing was different about the balls?

Here is one example of that.  Everyone that I have read all say the same thing.  No difference.
    cutz said:
    I don't like the 7 inning DH. MLB is 9 Innings. HS plays 7 Innings games.

I also don't like the runner on 2nd to start Extras. MLB  ain't some weekend softball Tourney

couldn’t agree more.

also, fuck david price.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Haven't they done studies and drop tested the balls and proved that nothing was different about the balls?

Here is one example of that.  Everyone that I have read all say the same thing.  No difference.

From above:

Rob Manfred and MLB denied any changes to the baseball over the years, stating that any differences fell within the league parameters. The league eventually commissioned an investigation, which found that the ball did have less drag, specifically blaming the seam height. Other independent tests indicated that the coefficient of restitution - or the ball's bounciness - had also changed.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    Haven't they done studies and drop tested the balls and proved that nothing was different about the balls?

From above:

I'd like to see that information on the study.  Like I mentioned above, when they do one they find little to no difference as the article I showed.

Who knows though?  Players are stronger now and pitchers can't throw any faster.

Raise the mound back up and let's see what happens.