MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    cutz said:
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2079461

Report: Rays agree to trade Snell to Padres for prospects
    8m ago
    Harry How / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 16 Blake Snell 4 of the Tampa Bay Rays pitches against the Houston Astros during the first inning in Game Six of the American League Championship Series at PETCO Park on October 16 2020 in San Diego California

The Tampa Bay Rays have reportedly agreed to a deal that would send left-handed starting pitcher Blake Snell to the San Diego Padres, according to Dennis Lin of The Athletic.

Prospect right-hander Luis Patino, catcher Francisco Mejia, right-hander Cole Wilcox, and first baseman Blake Hunt are reportedly heading back to Tampa in the deal.

More to come.

They're giving up Patino?  Are they nuts?  He is going to be better than Snell in a few years.

How many times have we watched a kid play in the minors and made that same assessment / read the Keith Laws of the world make that assessment, only to see the player fail to live up to the hype?

Looks like a big haul for Tampa but we will wait and see.  SD really needed to replace Clevinger and they get a proven ace. 
    I like it.
    Do some research on Patino.  He's the real deal.

There are 3 pitchers coming up that are going to be studs, Casey Mize, McKenzie Gore and Patino.

I did look and the word is good....buy we have still seen that fizzle.
    Could be one they regret, down the road, and you could be correct.
    A bird in hand.....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cutz said:

8m ago
    SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 16 Blake Snell 4 of the Tampa Bay Rays pitches against the Houston Astros during the first inning in Game Six of the American League Championship Series at PETCO Park on October 16 2020 in San Diego California

The Tampa Bay Rays have reportedly agreed to a deal that would send left-handed starting pitcher Blake Snell to the San Diego Padres, according to Dennis Lin of The Athletic.

Prospect right-hander Luis Patino, catcher Francisco Mejia, right-hander Cole Wilcox, and first baseman Blake Hunt are reportedly heading back to Tampa in the deal.

More to come.

They're giving up Patino?  Are they nuts?  He is going to be better than Snell in a few years.

How many times have we watched a kid play in the minors and made that same assessment / read the Keith Laws of the world make that assessment, only to see the player fail to live up to the hype?

Looks like a big haul for Tampa but we will wait and see.  SD really needed to replace Clevinger and they get a proven ace. 
    I like it.

There are 3 pitchers coming up that are going to be studs, Casey Mize, McKenzie Gore and Patino.

I did look and the word is good....buy we have still seen that fizzle.
    Could be one they regret, down the road, and you could be correct.
    A bird in hand.....
    Yeah yeah, I know.  Todd Van Poppel, Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood.  I remember.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    cutz said:

8m ago

More to come.

I like it.

Then it was worth it for the Padres to trade Patino for a known pitcher? (Who's still under control for 3 years at a good price and in his Prime)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Rays gonna ray
  • cutz said:
    cutz said:

8m ago

More to come.

I like it.

Then it was worth it for the Padres to trade Patino for a known pitcher? (Who's still under control for 3 years at a good price and in his Prime)
    I would have kept Patino but they are making a play to win now.  They do have one of the best players in baseball in Tatis so good on them.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    and the d**gers want either arenado or lemiehu....fuck me :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Yu darvish too?  Lol
    MayDay10 said:
    Yu darvish too?  Lol

wow. better the pads than the fucking d**gers.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

8m ago

More to come.

I like it.

I would have kept Patino but they are making a play to win now.  They do have one of the best players in baseball in Tatis so good on them.
    Yes, they are going for it:

Report: Padres to acquire Darvish from Cubs in 7-player deal
    7m ago
    Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    CHICAGO ILLINOIS - SEPTEMBER 25 Yu Darvish 11 of the Chicago Cubs delivers the ball against the Chicago White Sox at Guaranteed Rate Field on September 25 2020 in Chicago Illinois

The San Diego Padres will acquire ace right-hander Yu Darvish and catcher Victor Caratini from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for a five-player package that includes right-hander Zach Davies and four prospects, sources told The Athletic's Sahadev Sharma, Dennis Lin, and Patrick Mooney.

The four prospects headed to Chicago are shortstop Reginald Preciado, outfielder Owen Caissie, shortstop Yeison Santana, and outfielder Ismael Mena. Completion of the deal is pending the review of medicals for all seven players, according to AJ Cassavell of MLB.com.

Darvish finished second in NL Cy Young voting in 2020 after going 8-3 with a 2.01 ERA and 0.96 WHIP across 76 innings of work.

It's the latest move for the Padres after acquiring left-hander Blake Snell from the Tampa Bay Rays and signing Korean infielder Ha-seong Kim since Sunday night.

cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

8m ago

More to come.

I like it.

Yes, they are going for it:

they sure are.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Darvish is not an upgrade though.  He did good in a short span but I don't think he can last a whole long season anymore.
    Darvish is not an upgrade though.  He did good in a short span but I don't think he can last a whole long season anymore.

“a whole long season,” meaning 5-6 IP every 5th day. oh, how things have changed.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    Darvish is not an upgrade though.  He did good in a short span but I don't think he can last a whole long season anymore.

“a whole long season,” meaning 5-6 IP every 5th day. oh, how things have changed.
    He will have trouble doing that, lol.  Yes.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Wobbie said:

For 60 games. Maybe 80 if thy get lucky in 2021.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Ugggh.  Mets get Lindor. Hell of a move.
    Ugh.  Mets fans, tell me things that make me not feel sick.

Fuck the MLB economic system.  Makes it very hard to be a fan.
  • Ugggh.  Mets get Lindor. Hell of a move.
    MayDay10 said:

Woah!  I thought this was a pipe dream for them!?!

Good for you NY Mets!
    MayDay10 said:

Your owner is worth more than steinbrenner. Blame him 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2020-06-26/roster-mlb-billionaire-team-owners-who-rule-baseball%3f_amp=true
  • MayDay10 said:

Your owner is worth more than steinbrenner. Blame him 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2020-06-26/roster-mlb-billionaire-team-owners-who-rule-baseball%3f_amp=true
    Some owners don't like to spend.  Their teams are like toys.  They don't really give a shit.
    Look at the revenues of Yankees vs Indians.  Steinbrenners wouldn't spend either.

And I hate the Dolans anyway

By economic system, I would want a salary floor as well

It's just a terrible system and will never be able to keep good players.  My kid is going to be devastated when he gets home from school
    edited January 2021
    Definitely understand that the Yankees obviously make a ton more than Cleveland, but they could afford to keep Lindor. And agreed with the floor
    (Yawn)

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2087143

Ex-Angels employee names players who used his ball-doctoring substance

A former Los Angeles Angels visiting clubhouse manager filed an opposition Thursday to a legal motion by the team and Major League Baseball for trying to dismiss a defamation complaint surrounding his March 2020 firing, according to court documents obtained by Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.

Brian "Bubba" Harkins said many Angels pitchers used his substance, which included rosin and pine tar, before being dismissed for giving the concoction to visiting hurlers following a league investigation, per the legal documents submitted to the Orange County Superior Court.

Harkins said Angels players such as Troy Percival, Brendan Donnelly, Tyler Chatwood, Kevin Jepsen, Cam Bedrosian, Keynan Middleton, Yusmeiro Petit, Luke Bard, Matt Andriese, Dylan Peters, Jose Suarez, and Dylan Bundy used the substance over the years he worked for the club.

The 55-year-old added the league has evidence Gerrit Cole, Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Felix Hernandez, Corey Kluber, and Adam Wainwright also used substances to get a better grip on the baseball, according to the court documents.

"Hey Bubba, it's Gerrit Cole, I was wondering if you could help me out with this sticky situation," the New York Yankees ace wrote in a text on Jan. 17, 2019, according to the paperwork submitted. "We don't see you until May, but we have some road games in April that are in cold-weather places. The stuff I had last year seizes up when it gets cold."

Verlander apparently told Harkins in a phone call that "the league has let this go on for 100 years," and claimed MLB began cracking down on pitchers using doctored substances after it learned teams were hiring chemists and conducting studies to find better ways to increase spin rate, according to court documents obtained by the Houston Chronicle's Chandler Rome.

MLB announced in February 2020 that it planned to step up its enforcement of rules preventing pitchers from using foreign substances to doctor baseballs.

Harkins was fired on March 3 and filed a defamation complaint on Aug. 28, while the Angels and MLB filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit on Nov. 2.

"Our point is, Bubba was made a one-man scapegoat, and that they did this 'investigation' in an effort to protect the players," Harkins' lawyer, Daniel Rasmussen, said Thursday. "No player has been disciplined, and Bubba has gotten hammered through this whole thing. His reputation has been trashed."

Harkins is looking for $4 million in damages because he believes he's now unemployable due to his damaged reputation, according to court documents. A judge will determine if the case moves forward on Jan. 21.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    RIP Tommy Lasorda
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited January 2021
    Old Captain Red Ass, off to a giant fucking, asshole, party on the other side.
    I never really liked Tommy Lasorda...but I frequently was amused by him.  As a person who had two grandparents arrive on the boat from Italy, I know a number of obese, cranky, Italian-Americans, who utilize 'fuck' every third word...so I could never really bring myself to dislike Tommy Lasorda.
    He was certainly a baseball fixture for many years - and a colorful enough one so that we felt we knew him.
    Goodbye, fat chap, hope you loved the wild ride. 
    I know he left a lot of people behind who loved him.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Poncier said:
    RIP Tommy Lasorda
    I just heard on the Radio.

RIP
  • Old Captain Red Ass, off to a giant fucking, asshole, party on the other side.
    I never really liked Tommy Lasorda...but I frequently was amused by him.  As a person who had two grandparents arrive on the boat from Italy, I know a number of obese, cranky, Italian-Americans, who utilize 'fuck' every third word...so I could never really bring myself to dislike Tommy Lasorda.
    He was certainly a baseball fixture for many years - and a colorful enough one so that we felt we knew him.
    I got to meet him at a car dealership in Saugus, California when I was 9 years old.  he was signing autographs for a brand new Chevy dealership in the valley, there were now 2, lol.  Pete Rose was there also.  Both were cheerful signers and more than happy to take pics.

My Grandparents in Florida would have dinner with him when he came to Dodgertown for pre-season.  He like them because they were from Brooklyn where he started his Major league career with the organization.

He was quoted as saying "It took the best lefthander in the world to replace me on the Dodgers pitching staff."  That lefthander was Sandy Koufax.

He asked a favor to the Dodger organization to draft his Godson because Tommy actually saw something in him.  He did have a drive. So in the last round, the 62nd, 1,390th in the MLB Draft, the Los Angeles Dodgers granted this favor to him and drafted Michael Joseph Piazza.  Future HOFer.

Tommy Lasorda got to be in the building for the Dodgers WS win this year too.  They had special arrangements so he would have his own suite to view the game.

He worked for the organization for 77 years.

RIP Tommy Lasorda
    Old Captain Red Ass, off to a giant fucking, asshole, party on the other side.
    I got to meet him at a car dealership in Saugus, California when I was 9 years old.  he was signing autographs for a brand new Chevy dealership in the valley, there were now 2, lol.  Pete Rose was there also.  Both were cheerful signers and more than happy to take pics.

My Grandparents in Florida would have dinner with him when he came to Dodgertown for pre-season.  He like them because they were from Brooklyn where he started his Major league career with the organization.

He was quoted as saying "It took the best lefthander in the world to replace me on the Dodgers pitching staff."  That lefthander was Sandy Koufax.

He asked a favor to the Dodger organization to draft his Godson because Tommy actually saw something in him.  He did have a drive. So in the last round, the 62nd, 1,390th in the MLB Draft, the Los Angeles Dodgers granted this favor to him and drafted Michael Joseph Piazza.  Future HOFer.

Tommy Lasorda got to be in the building for the Dodgers WS win this year too.  They had special arrangements so he would have his own suite to view the game.

He worked for the organization for 77 years.

RIP Tommy Lasorda
    This is all cool stuff.  Not sure how, but not sure I realized Piazza was an afterthought.

fuck that fat fuck.

hey! I’m a Giants fan. gotta say it.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The backstory of Piazza is fantastic. Gave a lot of kids hope in the 90's, me being one of them. Loved watching him hit.
    It's a hopeless situation...