NCAA College Football -

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ha.  Relocate away from the Rose Bowl - CFP with the money move.  Nothing else matters!

Scumbags.
    Money move because they don't want a public fight with ND?
    Are you joking?
    Notre Dame wouldn't deny an invitation no matter what.
    All posturing, which is both useful in recruiting and impressive.

I hate the CFP but the idea that they are afraid of ND is laughable.

The reason why it is a money move is obvious.
    They will say it is about a few hundred and then thousands and thousands will attend....well, because it is TX.
    Meh.  How many people are they letting in? Now you need ushers,  some concessions,  etc.  Stadium takes its cut.  It feels like a rounding error in the NCAA balance sheet. Not a lot money. 
    It is Texas.  They will put half of the crowd in, if not more.  
    They certain don't care about the players and their families or they wouldn't be playing.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mrussel1 said:
    The amount of eye balls and corresponding ad revenue you lose by putting in A&M because Notre Dame wasn't bluffing seems more material to me.  
    The ads are already sold
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    The amount of eye balls and corresponding ad revenue you lose by putting in A&M because Notre Dame wasn't bluffing seems more material to me.  
    The ads are already sold
    Not sure that's completely true.  Rather,  how could we possibly know? 

Regarding the attendance,  I'll reserve my judgment until I see those numbers.  I'm sure they have to pay a substantial break fee to the Rose Bowl,  stadium,  etc.
    edited December 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The ads are already sold
    Not sure that's completely true.  Rather,  how could we possibly know? 

Regarding the attendance,  I'll reserve my judgment until I see those numbers.  I'm sure they have to pay a substantial break fee to the Rose Bowl,  stadium,  etc.
    You would have to know someone working in TV....maybe someone in production who in the past worked in media sales.
    Oh wait, I'm married to such a person.  ;)

She doesn't work in sports but she works (and has worked for years) on top rated shows.

There is a chance I am wrong when it comes to CFP but advertising sales are typically done in advance and based on projected audience from past event and factors they can work with in advance.
    I know how it works in non sports TV.

You don't think they wait to sell ads until the matchup is announced, hoping that they get the dream scenarios of top draws filling all spots?

I know for a fact that the super bowl sells ads early....and that they almost always go down to the wire to sell them all due to high cost.  However they sold out last year in November last year.  Article here:
    https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/super-bowl-commercials-2020-fox-sell-out-1203415238/

So is CFP not following the most successful model, the Super Bowl?

As far as the attendance, we will see how that plays out.
    The attendance is where they will see most decline in revenue....not in tv money:
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-11-21/college-football-playoff-bill-hancock
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    give me:

satan
    clemson
    buckeyes
    a&m
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    OK......I hope Bama kills ND. I suspect they will.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited December 2020
    Yes, they will, I figure.

Let's hear from College Station!
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Wobbie said:
    I was hoping ND would be left out to spare them the added national humiliation. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Wobbie said:
    I was hoping ND would be left out to spare them the added national humiliation. 
    Nah - take the beating and know you made the playoffs.  ;)

brian kelley’s so-called big wins - clemson w/o their QB and a basketball school. roll tide!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The attendance is where they will see most decline in revenue....not in tv money:
    https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-11-21/college-football-playoff-bill-hancock
    My reading of this reaffirms my perspective.  It points out that attendance is a small part of their revenue, which is what I suspected.  And if you're talking about a few games, that ratio is probably even more dramatic.  If they were mostly concerned about attendance, they would have scheduled everything in TX and FL to start.  
    Regarding the super bowl ads, I agree that they would love to sell them at the high price before teams are announced.  Maybe they do, but I feel pretty confident in saying that ad pricing for college is much more sensitive to the teams than the pros are.  Colleges have such locked in fan bases, at a whole different level than pro.  Everyone watches the super bowl, no matter who it is, which you would expect after 50+ years of data.  The CFP does not have the same history obviously.  My guess is the price sensitivity is far less than college. 
    I guess my point is, that I'm not sure their decision to move it had much to do with attendance revenue.  I think there were broader (but still revenue based) concerns.  
    I'm gonna go with the knowledge of a TV insider and a model of the super bowl that is fairly close to the CFP and certainly is something the CFP wants to replicate.

I guess this only shows people can see what they want to see regardless of knowledge or points of reference.

They successfully shit on The Granddaddy of Them All.

Greedy bastards....enjoy the superspreader events televised for all to see.  
    I will revise if they have only 500 people at the game and say that I was mistaken about what I said their motivation was re:moving the game.  (I don't think it has anything to do with family members)
    “use dabo in a sentence.”

”I had a little dab o’ shit stuck to the bottom of my shoe.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    “use dabo in a sentence.”

”I had a little dab o’ shit stuck to the bottom of my shoe.”
    There is a really good coach who is a total jackass of a guy in the media - we call that a Dabo
    Ty Jordan, PAC 12 offensive rookie of the year, dead.

dude averaged 120 yds/gm in the Utes short season. his future was so bright two other RBs entered the draft portal.

:bawling:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    That is awful.  He shot himself?

That is awful.  He shot himself?

it’s not only awful, it will ruin his family’s christmases forever.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Like Tackleberry from Police Academy.  Died at a family wedding on the dance floor.  Gotta figure that ruins weddings forever for that family.
    I think Herbie just wants to dodge going to the game to make the call.

Jk, even though he is a fucking douche about Covid and the seriousness of it I sincerely hope he is ok and doesn't have any negative long term impacts from Covid.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I didn't even see that he had it. The timing seems to be impeccable for some of the folks that get it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Clemson's OC doesn't travel with the team due to Covid protocols.   Does this mean he is chicken to?

#fDabo

edited January 2021
    I don't often find myself rooting for Ohio State, but I surely am today.  Please 🙏 clobber Dabo the Douchelord and his Clemson Tigers.  I have nothing against the kids playing for Clemson (I like some of them quite a bit) but I want the coach to lose to the #11 team...the team that should not be there, in his estimation.  
    Hoping for Ohio State 421 Clemson 17.

I would pick Clemson if I were betting on the game, though.
  • Why oh why is Norte Dame in the playoffs when they get their ass handed to them year after year.

WTH Do they do in the regular year that makes the BCS so enamored by them?  I’ve watched them for years now and have not been impressed with their play yet they make it to the playoffs.

Anybody else notice this?
    Why oh why is Norte Dame in the playoffs when they get their ass handed to them year after year.

WTH Do they do in the regular year that makes the BCS so enamored by them?  I’ve watched them for years now and have not been impressed with their play yet they make it to the playoffs.

Anybody else notice this?
    Fan base + history= ad revenue
    Ad revenue again 
    That is wrong.
    Ads are sold in advance.

edited January 2021
    18,000 in attendance today in TX.  They were petitioning the Rose Bowl to allow 500.

Sure.  They moved the game because of the families of players being able to attend.

NCAA is a fucking joke.
    (So is CFP, who is the governing body for this particular BS move )
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    pretty good first half for a #11 team eh dabo?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14