The video game thread.

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    little update on my Series X ...

the transition from my xbox one x to series x was so seamless that if I accidentally turned on the wrong machine I wouldn't know the difference at first.  saves for the games i tested were just like i left off. 

Both games I've played (forza 7 and forza 4 horizon) look amazing ... but the xbox one x is pretty powerful and was able to show the intended shine of the game so nothing to test out that really is next gen.

Now one of the biggest problems I had with forza 7 was its really long load times ... waiting a few minutes to load a track really stopped me from playing ... series x had me racing in like 20 seconds from starting.  So maybe some games like Red Dead will get a second chance now that I don't have to worry about falling asleep during load screens (happens from time to time).

Now for some most excellent news for those with racing wheels ... my fanatec works just like it did on the xbox one x!  (setup: fanatec CSL Elite wheel base licensed for PS4 with a McLaren GT3 wheel that is licensed for Xbox ... works just fine).  Again, if you blindfolded me and turned either my 'Series X' or 'Xbox One X', I wouldn't be able to tell the difference ... like moving into a new apartment and all your old stuff is already in place.

The only negative is my new controller ... the right rumble is defective and missing some damping.  it sounds like a beard trimmer.  no bueno.  hopefully microsoft will replace.  thankfully all my old controllers work with series x just fine. 

funny that the series x is completely silent and the controller sounds like a angry cicada
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Kat said:

my friends works at Bethesda but he didn't work on Doom. think he's working on a new game called Starfield
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited November 2020
    Jason P said:
    little update on my Series X ...

the transition from my xbox one x to series x was so seamless that if I accidentally turned on the wrong machine I wouldn't know the difference at first.  saves for the games i tested were just like i left off. 

Both games I've played (forza 7 and forza 4 horizon) look amazing ... but the xbox one x is pretty powerful and was able to show the intended shine of the game so nothing to test out that really is next gen.

Now one of the biggest problems I had with forza 7 was its really long load times ... waiting a few minutes to load a track really stopped me from playing ... series x had me racing in like 20 seconds from starting.  So maybe some games like Red Dead will get a second chance now that I don't have to worry about falling asleep during load screens (happens from time to time).

Now for some most excellent news for those with racing wheels ... my fanatec works just like it did on the xbox one x!  (setup: fanatec CSL Elite wheel base licensed for PS4 with a McLaren GT3 wheel that is licensed for Xbox ... works just fine).  Again, if you blindfolded me and turned either my 'Series X' or 'Xbox One X', I wouldn't be able to tell the difference ... like moving into a new apartment and all your old stuff is already in place.

The only negative is my new controller ... the right rumble is defective and missing some damping.  it sounds like a beard trimmer.  no bueno.  hopefully microsoft will replace.  thankfully all my old controllers work with series x just fine. 

funny that the series x is completely silent and the controller sounds like a angry cicada
    Xbox controllers aren't known for their build quality or their consistency, which is sad since they're ergonomically awesome.
    My series x freezes when I try to play games, I'm sending it back for a refund.  For the brief amount of time it did work I'd describe my experience similar to yours, although I didn't try my G920 on it.  Nice wheel setup, btw!

And there were a few updates in the Insider preview program that listed the freezing in the notes, and the last update I tried had my games running longer than before but still crashing. I tried taking it out of the Insider program as well but that didn't work either.
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Walmart and Best buy Canada have their black friday prices up early and are available right now for games/systems. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    been playing COD Cold War on Series X & Madden.....I have a 2019 LG OLED TV 120HZ.....COD you can def tell the difference....looks great

fast load times are awesome. Prob gonna get NB2K21 & Assassins' Creed on Black Friday

I use the Elite 2 Controller, The factory controllers thumbsticks always crap out quickly.....so does the Elite, I also get the 2 year geek squad protection...have swapped out 2 Elite 1's in the past as they too shit the bed.

Looking forward to the SHOW 21.....I think I might shed a tear playing an actual baeseball game on Xbox....if they didnt announce it coming to SERIES X... I would have gotten a PS5

My buddy has a PS5, Says the new controller is great, so is Spiderman
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    This PS5 release is bullshit.  Been trying since release date.  The bots are destroying everyone!
    edited November 2020
    Kat said:

my friends works at Bethesda but he didn't work on Doom. think he's working on a new game called Starfield
    Skyrim has been my favorite game since 11.11.11. Did he work on that? Or on the Fallout games? If so, he has my everlasting thanks. :) I play Fallout 76 too and I'm eagerly awaiting Starfield.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

Skyrim has been my favorite game since 11.11.11. Did he work on that? Or on the Fallout games? If so, he has my everlasting thanks. :) I play Fallout 76 too and I'm eagerly awaiting Starfield.
    No he was working at telltale video games around that time. He didn’t go to Bethesda until around 2017.  I know he did work on fallout 76 though.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    mca47 said:
    This PS5 release is bullshit.  Been trying since release date.  The bots are destroying everyone!
    The Xbox launches are pretty much the same.  The new problem now is that you've got empty console boxes on Ebay and people aren't reading fine print.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

if you are on TikTok do a search for #skyrim and check out some of those videos.  There are a few guys that do some great bits on there.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I think I am going to dive into a game called Factorio tonight.  It looks amazing
    Had a PS5 in my cart a handful of times on Walmart.  Couple times I got to the final "click" and the whole fn thing went down.
    I have next week off.  Would love to do nothing more than sit on my ass for a week and play videogames.  Ugh!
    MayDay10 said:
    I think I am going to dive into a game called Factorio tonight.  It looks amazing
    I played that a year ago but never got back into it ... it was an early build and I figured I'd wait for them to polish it up.  I might give it another shot.   I do recall it looking fascinating the further you get.
    Crusader Kings 3 is going to get some time this weekend.  I noticed it was "free" on xbox gamepass for PC so decided to see if my work laptop would run it and it seems to do just fine with no dedicated graphics chip.  File size was only around 6 GB, but most the game is map and menus.

It is much more user friendly then the last game.  Tutorial does a pretty good job of showing the ropes.  There is an "issues" button at top center that helps pull up menus vs having to dig thru menus.  Lots of little pop up menus that bring up detail quickly which is very useful when trying to figure out how to run an empire in feudal times.  

The game is less about trying to amass a Civilization type win.  You are in control of a character that can live on thru heirs.  As long as a heir survives the game continues.  You guide their destiny that is influenced by their traits.  Looks like Game of Thrones type scenarios minus ice dragons and ed sheeran (i.e. very historical settings, customs and attributes)
    Nintendo is raking in money while Sony and Microsoft are most likely taking huge losses this fall.  They sold a "game and watch" for $50 that probably cost $2.17 to manufacture and had their best month ever in Switch sales.  

Demons Soul remake is the one game I would really like to play this fall, but alas I have no PS5.  Probably gonna wait until the "pro" version comes out in a few years.

This is a really poor showing for fall video games.  Especially with the new gen coming out.  The most exciting and visually captivating game (demons soul) is a remake of a game that came out on the PS3 ... and costs $70.  The other big games are just juiced up ports of current gen.

Kinda puts into light how much it must suck for Microsoft to have to push Halo back.  Halo is Microsoft's Mario.  Sony really doesn't have a Mario ... just a shit-ton of Luigi's and they had a few Luigi's ready for launch. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Jason P said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I played that a year ago but never got back into it ... it was an early build and I figured I'd wait for them to polish it up.  I might give it another shot.   I do recall it looking fascinating the further you get.
    I put in a lot of hours this past weekend.  Love it.  Its like civilization meets some sort of puzzle game meets plants vs zombies
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Scored a PS5 yesterday by accident.  Just hopped on bestbuy.com yesterday at 7am out of boredom and there it was.  

They emailed you a code that you had to type in before hitting purchase.  I guess to stop the bots.  Im excited!
    There are some good deals for games going on.  Lots of recent games are seeing 20%-50% discounts on digital storefront and some games are getting better discounts if you find a deal for a physical copy.  I think the sales are until next week so you have some time to browse over the break.

You will see (based on previous years) 50% deals for Assassin Creed around Christmas.  COD will probably drop to $40 around that time. 
  • Anyone who can figure what video game music the intro to this song sounds like? It reminds me of some old game... maybe a nintendo game... Super Mario World..? Anyone who can figure it out?

https://youtu.be/vjqy1h0ZKhg
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    Any Xbox gamers? I have 2×$50 Xbox gift cards for sale and a 3 month Ultimate Game Pass Membership for sale. 
    Still PS5-less.

:( 
  • mca47 said:
    Still PS5-less.

:( 

Right there with you but seems that the number of people having issues with there PS5 , I am ok waiting until the spring and hopeful to snag one.
    How about that? Serana from Skyrim won at the Game Awards last night. :smile:

Performance
    Laura Bailey – Abby, The Last of Us Part II (WINNER)
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2020
    Just read where Wal Mart blocked like 20 million bots during the release on Tuesday (15th).  I was finally able to get the Series X ordered from them :). Glad they finally went to war with the shitheads using bots!
    I’ve played with a few of you in the past, who all is playing Cold War these days?  DM me and I’ll give you my gamer tag if you need to fill a lobby!  I’m sure I still have some of you added, but over the years tags have changed and we went our separate ways.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on

And the verdict for Cyberpunk 2077 is … *** (current gen versions unplayable)***

0 out of 4 Keanu’s

When you hire Keanu Reeves as your frontman and give him the name “Johnny”, you had better make sure you give him a kickass last name.  Johnny Utah … took down the dead presidents and became the greatest surfer of all time.  Johnny Mnemonic … dumb last name and no one watched that movie as result.  Johnny Wick is the most bad ass in recent cinema, and along come a video game company that decides to roll the dice with the name … Johnny Silverhand?

End result:  Sony pulls came from digital storefront; Company losses $1 Billion in value; Game Review sites lose credibility for giving almost perfect scores to a game that 90% of the gaming public can’t play.

Should have named him Johnny Vermont.  Hmm …

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    6 days until i get to...i mean until my kids get to open their PS5!!!
  • Jason P said:

And the verdict for Cyberpunk 2077 is … *** (current gen versions unplayable)***

0 out of 4 Keanu’s

When you hire Keanu Reeves as your frontman and give him the name “Johnny”, you had better make sure you give him a kickass last name.  Johnny Utah … took down the dead presidents and became the greatest surfer of all time.  Johnny Mnemonic … dumb last name and no one watched that movie as result.  Johnny Wick is the most bad ass in recent cinema, and along come a video game company that decides to roll the dice with the name … Johnny Silverhand?

End result:  Sony pulls came from digital storefront; Company losses $1 Billion in value; Game Review sites lose credibility for giving almost perfect scores to a game that 90% of the gaming public can’t play.

Should have named him Johnny Vermont.  Hmm …

I like your review 
    Got a PS5 last week.  
    Love it!
    Was worried loading Spider-Man as it was loud.  Once the disc stopped spinning...silence.  
    Same happened with Demon Souls.  
    Zero noise or fans while playing.  The controller is incredible.  The vibrations and adaptive triggers are amazing.  Loading a game takes seconds.  Literally, loading Spider-Man takes 3-4 seconds from “continue”.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited December 2020
    It's not xbox or playstation but I did get my wife a Ms. Pac-Man for Christmas.   She is pumped.  We got street fighter last Christmas.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......