MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I hope it's "The Cleveland Baseball Team"

:rofl:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Football Team
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Poncier said:
    Actually Cleveland Steamers would be great.
    This hahahahahaha!
    I guess the Braves are next.
  • I guess the Braves are next.
    The tomahawk chop has been an issue with people yet when that stadium is filled the whole place erupts and does it on their own.  They got rid of Chief Knokahoma years ago too.  Dude had a Teepee in the stands.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    The Braves are technically the O.G. baseball team.  Its roots could be traced back to the 1870s' Boston Red Stockings of the National Association, who were made up of the Wright brothers (Harry and George) as well as many members of the disbanded Cincinatti club who dominated early baseball (and Boston dominated the 5 year run of the National Association) until the National League was formed in 1876.

The Cubs' roots can be traced back to that too as there was the Chicago White Stockings, but they had to disband for awhile due to the Chicago fire.

/nerd
  • MayDay10 said:
    The Braves are technically the O.G. baseball team.  Its roots could be traced back to the 1870s' Boston Red Stockings of the National Association, who were made up of the Wright brothers (Harry and George) as well as many members of the disbanded Cincinatti club who dominated early baseball (and Boston dominated the 5 year run of the National Association) until the National League was formed in 1876.

The Cubs' roots can be traced back to that too as there was the Chicago White Stockings, but they had to disband for awhile due to the Chicago fire.

/nerd
    Blah blah blah, The Yankees were called the Highlanders and the Orioles before hand.

Tell me who Cornelius McGhillicuddy was.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    MayDay10 said:

/nerd
    Blah blah blah, The Yankees were called the Highlanders and the Orioles before hand.

I know "Dr McGillicuddy's".

Was driving somewhere with my girlfriend's father and his best friend when I was 18/senior in high school.
    The best friend was in the passenger seat and told me that he had something for me in a bag in the back seat.
    I opened the bag and it was a bottle of that fucking stuff.  Now, being 18, I would drink pretty much anything.  Add in the father of the young lady I was infatuated with at that point & the sort of olive branch to be "one of the guys" and I jumped in. 
    Holy shit, that stuff was awful.  Polished off a good amount before we got where we were going.
    Pretty sure that I could have had a good answer for who Cornelius was at that point.  Or, that I would have been happy to kick Keith Olbermann in the nuts.

Also, the Cincinnati Red Stockings are the OG team.  1866.

• MayDay10 said:

/nerd

Was driving somewhere with my girlfriend's father and his best friend when I was 18/senior in high school.
    The best friend was in the passenger seat and told me that he had something for me in a bag in the back seat.
    I opened the bag and it was a bottle of that fucking stuff.  Now, being 18, I would drink pretty much anything.  Add in the father of the young lady I was infatuated with at that point & the sort of olive branch to be "one of the guys" and I jumped in. 
    Holy shit, that stuff was awful.  Polished off a good amount before we got where we were going.
    Pretty sure that I could have had a good answer for who Cornelius was at that point.  Or, that I would have been happy to kick Keith Olbermann in the nuts.

Lol.  Imagine that happening today?

Cornelius had a stadium named after him in Philly at one time.
    MayDay10 said:

/nerd

Lol.  Imagine that happening today?

Cornelius had a stadium named after him in Philly at one time.
    Yeah, now that guy would probably be brought up on charges.  (When in reality I'm pretty sure the things I did to his daughter should have landed me in a ditch)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    connie mack.

I knew the dude.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Ha!
    the Tall Tactician
  • Wobbie said:
    connie mack.

I knew the dude.
    MayDay10 said:
    the Tall Tactician
    Very good you Two!!!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Wobbie said:
    connie mack.

I knew the dude.
    Did you baby sit for him when he was a toddler and you were in college?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • igotid88 said:
    I always considered the Negro leagues to be part of the majors.  Now they need to let in the Women’s league too.  And yes I am serious.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    edited December 2020
    So does that mean Josh Gibson is the all time homerun leader? Didn't he have 800 or something?
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    So does that mean Josh Gibson is the all time homerun leader? Didn't he have 800 or something?
    I think that counts the barnstorming games against inferior competition. It could be debated on whether or not those should count.
    igotid88 said:
    I think that counts the barnstorming games against inferior competition. It could be debated on whether or not those should count.

for sure. satchel paige padded his K’s against me.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    MayDay10 said:
    I'm an Indians fan and I'm fine with it. 

Without chief wahoo, their team branding is nonexistent.   The block c logo is awful.  Colors boring.
    with all due respect, it’s not your opinion that matters...,unless you’re Native American.

I’m a Utah Utes fan...they have the blessing of the tribe and help them financially. what the white man did/does to native Americans is unconscionable.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    RIP: Phil Niekro
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    R.I.P. Phil Niekro
    I miss igotid88
  • Man another HOFer!?!
    Wobbie said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I'm an Indians fan and I'm fine with it. 

Without chief wahoo, their team branding is nonexistent.   The block c logo is awful.  Colors boring.
    with all due respect, it’s not your opinion that matters...,unless you’re Native American.

I’m a Utah Utes fan...they have the blessing of the tribe and help them financially. what the white man did/does to native Americans is unconscionable.
    No.  I agree.  I'm fine with the change.  They spoke to community groups, decided they needed to change.  I'm too old to care about such things
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2079461

Report: Rays agree to trade Snell to Padres for prospects
    8m ago
    Harry How / Getty Images Sport / Getty
    SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 16 Blake Snell 4 of the Tampa Bay Rays pitches against the Houston Astros during the first inning in Game Six of the American League Championship Series at PETCO Park on October 16 2020 in San Diego California

The Tampa Bay Rays have reportedly agreed to a deal that would send left-handed starting pitcher Blake Snell to the San Diego Padres, according to Dennis Lin of The Athletic.

Prospect right-hander Luis Patino, catcher Francisco Mejia, right-hander Cole Wilcox, and first baseman Blake Hunt are reportedly heading back to Tampa in the deal.

More to come.

• cutz said:

8m ago
    SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 16 Blake Snell 4 of the Tampa Bay Rays pitches against the Houston Astros during the first inning in Game Six of the American League Championship Series at PETCO Park on October 16 2020 in San Diego California

The Tampa Bay Rays have reportedly agreed to a deal that would send left-handed starting pitcher Blake Snell to the San Diego Padres, according to Dennis Lin of The Athletic.

Prospect right-hander Luis Patino, catcher Francisco Mejia, right-hander Cole Wilcox, and first baseman Blake Hunt are reportedly heading back to Tampa in the deal.

More to come.

They're giving up Patino?  Are they nuts?  He is going to be better than Snell in a few years.
    cutz said:

8m ago

More to come.

They're giving up Patino?  Are they nuts?  He is going to be better than Snell in a few years.

How many times have we watched a kid play in the minors and made that same assessment / read the Keith Laws of the world make that assessment, only to see the player fail to live up to the hype?

Looks like a big haul for Tampa but we will wait and see.  SD really needed to replace Clevinger and they get a proven ace. 
    I like it.
  • cutz said:

8m ago

More to come.

How many times have we watched a kid play in the minors and made that same assessment / read the Keith Laws of the world make that assessment, only to see the player fail to live up to the hype?

Looks like a big haul for Tampa but we will wait and see.  SD really needed to replace Clevinger and they get a proven ace. 
    I like it.
    Do some research on Patino.  He's the real deal.

There are 3 pitchers coming up that are going to be studs, Casey Mize, McKenzie Gore and Patino.