NCAA College Football -

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Everyone seems to hate a team when they win more than once in a decade. I never watched a regular season college game in my life until about 10 years ago when I married into it. Took a couple years to be really a fan. But my wife's family was born and raised in Clemson, her dad taught there for 28 years, most of her family still lives in Clemson. So their blood is pretty orange. 5 or 6 years ago when they won the first time against Alabama and I was wearing my Clemson sweatshirt I couldn't go to the store without 10 people cheering for them. Now they are the old guys people want to see dethroned. 
    Still don't know what a red-ass dummy is though. 

Also, I attended a college football blue-blood.  One of the greatest histories of all...and also lived through an extended run of great play where everyone hated on them.
    I don't dislike Clemson, at all.  They are not a traditional power but they sure as hell are a modern one.
    Their coach is a dickhead.  Great coach.  Great recruiter.
    I think he's just a good, not great, coach. But where he excels is recruiting and building his community. The kids want to play for him and want to stay there. The people under him want to stay there. Venables leaves and takes an offer in the NFL or as a head coach somewhere else, they may not be a championship team. Still great, but probably not #1. Its tough to keep all those people around and be a dickhead.  Either he's masters the skill of doing both, or he's actually a good guy. 
    Urban Meyer never had a problem doing this.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Everyone seems to hate a team when they win more than once in a decade. I never watched a regular season college game in my life until about 10 years ago when I married into it. Took a couple years to be really a fan. But my wife's family was born and raised in Clemson, her dad taught there for 28 years, most of her family still lives in Clemson. So their blood is pretty orange. 5 or 6 years ago when they won the first time against Alabama and I was wearing my Clemson sweatshirt I couldn't go to the store without 10 people cheering for them. Now they are the old guys people want to see dethroned. 

Also, I attended a college football blue-blood.  One of the greatest histories of all...and also lived through an extended run of great play where everyone hated on them.
    I don't dislike Clemson, at all.  They are not a traditional power but they sure as hell are a modern one.
    I think he's just a good, not great, coach. But where he excels is recruiting and building his community. The kids want to play for him and want to stay there. The people under him want to stay there. Venables leaves and takes an offer in the NFL or as a head coach somewhere else, they may not be a championship team. Still great, but probably not #1. Its tough to keep all those people around and be a dickhead.  Either he's masters the skill of doing both, or he's actually a good guy. 
    Oh, I think he is a great coach and has it figured out.
    He could go somewhere else and, provided they are an actual football school of some financial support, win - pretty quickly.
    Surprised to see someone think that you have to be a good guy to be succesful in sports.  Pretty far from the truth. 
    I don't say he is a bad guy -- not in the true sense of bad.  I don't think he in mean to old people or handicapped.  I don't think he cheats on his family...stuff like that.  I am sure he is involved with many charitable causes.  He is just easily riled, says dumb stuff when he gets riled, and is one of these guys who takes being competitive to a whole new level.  (In what can sometimes be too much....exactly the way he acted about FSU...and then sticking to his stance, even though it is obviously hyperbole.)

A red ass.

Nick Saban is also a dickhead. Look at how great a coach he is. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Great -- another perfect example.  Total dickhead.
    There may even be a case to be made that most of the elite NCAA Football coaches are/were dickheads.

Pete Carrol was not - but he also let people sink his program because he did not rule with an iron fist, like Dickbo or Nicky.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Maybe. But it probably helps when you're in highly recognized and winning teams. But Dabo inherited a mediocre team that was on no ones radar. They were losing to Wake Forest back then. I'm sure they'd stick around now even if he wasn't easy to be around, but 10 years ago maybe not.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Y'all just shitting all over Buckeyes this week.  Are we bringing up Maurice Clarett next?
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Y'all just shitting all over Buckeyes this week.  Are we bringing up Maurice Clarett next?

Hey, if the shoes fit...wear 'em.  :lol: 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Maybe. But it probably helps when you're in highly recognized and winning teams. But Dabo inherited a mediocre team that was on no ones radar. They were losing to Wake Forest back then. I'm sure they'd stick around now even if he wasn't easy to be around, but 10 years ago maybe not.

I know you copped to not being a long term football fan -- Urban made his bones at two places with zero history....Bowling Green and then Utah. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I know you copped to not being a long term football fan -- Urban made his bones at two places with zero history....Bowling Green and then Utah. 
    Urban is a great coach.  I hated him at Florida,  but he is the real deal.  That Utah team in the sugar bowl,  I believe,  played unbelievable. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not at all brother. Well, not directly anyhow. Urban Meyer sans a tenure at Ohio State is still a dickhead. 

The other thing I brought up for discussion was: should Ohio State be left out of the playoffs IF they don't play in the B1G Championship game? Seems like an appropriate question/topic to discuss right now. Your opinion was that they should still be allowed in, and nobody else gave a yes/no answer (I don’t think).
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Urban is a great coach.  I hated him at Florida,  but he is the real deal.  That Utah team in the sugar bowl,  I believe,  played unbelievable. 
    Everyone knows he was a great coach. Nobody here disputes that. We also understand that as good of a coach as he was (irregardlessof his time at Ohio State), he was equally as big of a dickhead.
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Everyone knows he was a great coach. Nobody here disputes that. We also understand that as good of a coach as he was (irregardlessof his time at Ohio State), he was equally as big of a dickhead.
    Yes,  but he's my dickhead.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I'm going to recuse myself from this conversation for now. 🤐

🤣🤣
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣🤣
    Hahaha.  
    Yeah, no talking about your own member!
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

🤣🤣
    Hahaha.  
    Yeah, no talking about your own member!
    Haha, but you guys know what I mean.  For example, every group of friends has an asshole in it.  You know he's an asshole, but he's YOUR asshole so you still stick up for him.  
    No sharing about what you stick up, where!
    Bunch of sick fucks around here
    You said it!

(Really....you said it.)
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    GO DAWGS! Screw everyone else. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    There may even be a case to be made that most of the elite NCAA Football coaches are/were dickheads.

Pete Carrol was not - but he also let people sink his program because he did not rule with an iron fist, like Dickbo or Nicky.

you are fucking in love with the Pete.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mace1229 said:

Since you don't know, I can show you a picture of some famous ones:

excellent examples!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    But that is rivalry hate.
    Being Donnie's Suck Boy....that adds a new level of disrespect.

trump has given that medal of freedom to some very deserving people....rush limbaugh, tiger woods, lou, etc. :roll_eyes:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

All hail The Pete!
    Wobbie said:

All hail The Pete!
    No.

Actually, FUCK NO!
    Wobbie said:

All hail The Pete!
    No.

Actually, FUCK NO!
    Better than the crusty old whislte-lisp, Trump pal, Lou Holtz!  ;)

He's old and senile now. He doesn't even know who Donnie and or how he himself arrived at the White House. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Besides, you have to appreciate the guy who fueled the Catholics vs. Convicts rivalry. I mean, it still pisses off Miami 30 years later. And I think pissing off the 'Canes is something we can all appreciate. 
    He's old and senile now. He doesn't even know who Donnie and or how he himself arrived at the White House. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Besides, you have to appreciate the guy who fueled the Catholics vs. Convicts rivalry. I mean, it still pisses off Miami 30 years later. And I think pissing off the 'Canes is something we can all appreciate. 
    Haha. I actually went to Miami even though I'm Buckeyes first.  I loved that rivalry but Miami was the better team.  That Cleveland Gary fumble was total bs in 88. The refs jacked that up.  And then the next game was Miami dominance. 

My final two choices for college were Miami and USC.  Picked California over Florida.

My final two choices for college were Miami and USC.  Picked California over Florida.
    University of South Carolina is in South Carolina, you giant Cock.

Why does this not surprise me? Smh...