Options

“Hate the cult, love the cultist.“ per Bill Maher. Should democrats be supportive?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    I think what is completely missing here is the fact that a whole lot of republicans don’t like Trump, but still voted for the party because they don’t believe in the democrats ideology of expanding the federal government.  Also amusing is that so many here blame Trump for Covid when the federal government has no right to shut down states.  If you actually go back when this started Trump talked about quarantining hotspots such as New York, but Governor Cuomo threatened to sue.  So I’m still not sure how anyone that understands how our government actually works doesn’t blame governors for the pandemic.  I’m sure most of you all knew that already though...  but I’m sure this will all fall on deaf ears, because every Republican is brainwashed to follow trump...  as free of thinkers and as educated as some of you pretend to be, knowledge and critical thinking skills have fallen by the wayside in some of yours blinded hatred, but just remember, you voted for the person that built the cages and started the president.
    it's not just what the president is allowed to do legally, it's how he conducts himself. he can either choose to inspire or incite. 

trump incited nearly every single time. the only time he ever said anything inspirational, which was rare, was obviously written for him and read from a teleprompter. when he used his own brain it devolved into "everything that hates me is evil". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    this isn't about trump. it's about humanity. "these people" don't have a mental illness. americans, and many humans, have this insatiable need to be part of the winning team. and it's just getting worse. 

conservatives are digging in their heels and liberals don't think things are progressing enough. eventually that tug of war will result in the rope breaking. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    also can't stand maher. sorry brian! LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Bill Maher is great.  He has been saying tRump wouldn't leave office easily for four years.  He was also one of the few liberal voices that thought tRump was going to win in 2016.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Bill Maher is great.  He has been saying tRump wouldn't leave office easily for four years.  He was also one of the few liberal voices that thought tRump was going to win in 2016.
    i don't care how much he's right or wrong. in my opinion he's unwatchable because of how he presents himself. 

michael moore was also right about that. also an ass. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I have probably seen Maher about a dozen times and last time might have been over a dozen years ago, so I have no strong feelings about him. I liked him when I saw him...no idea whether he's become more unbearable as time has gone by (plenty do).

Anyway, I lean more towards the "olive branch" end of this. Yeah, I'm tempted to just write them off. And I get sick of the weak Democrat "high road" but acting like the left-wing version of MAGA is just fuel to the dumpster fire.  Except of course that there are those that are just too far gone.  I have a friend I don't anticipate seeing again.  Being angry at the libs and complaining about how mistreated he is is kind of his life now. Any olive branch would be doused in gasoline and lit on fire.  That said, I think most people are pretty close to each other philosophically and are more separated by rhetoric. As crazy as MAGAworld is I have to hope that there's a sane future ahead. And the only way I can help that out is not to be toxic, even to those that have been toxic.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I have probably seen Maher about a dozen times and last time might have been over a dozen years ago, so I have no strong feelings about him. I liked him when I saw him...no idea whether he's become more unbearable as time has gone by (plenty do).

Anyway, I lean more towards the "olive branch" end of this. Yeah, I'm tempted to just write them off. And I get sick of the weak Democrat "high road" but acting like the left-wing version of MAGA is just fuel to the dumpster fire.  Except of course that there are those that are just too far gone.  I have a friend I don't anticipate seeing again.  Being angry at the libs and complaining about how mistreated he is is kind of his life now. Any olive branch would be doused in gasoline and lit on fire.  That said, I think most people are pretty close to each other philosophically and are more separated by rhetoric. As crazy as MAGAworld is I have to hope that there's a sane future ahead. And the only way I can help that out is not to be toxic, even to those that have been toxic.
    I think Maher hands Dems their ass as much as the GOP.  He kind of reminds me of Stern...some people hate him but it is hard to deny that he is a great interviewer.  He has great guests on his show and, even though it is an obviously left leaning show, he is still able to get right wingers on there and be respectful.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

I think Maher hands Dems their ass as much as the GOP.  He kind of reminds me of Stern...some people hate him but it is hard to deny that he is a great interviewer.  He has great guests on his show and, even though it is an obviously left leaning show, he is still able to get right wingers on there and be respectful.
    he's obviously left leaning with a dose of balance. his partisanship or non is not my issue. he's pompous. he thinks he knows everything and it's irritating. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97 said:

he's obviously left leaning with a dose of balance. his partisanship or non is not my issue. he's pompous. he thinks he knows everything and it's irritating. 
    I don't see that but I like him so maybe I'm biased.

I did see him in Vegas doing a mostly non-political stand up act.  He told one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard.  I about pissed myself.